• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, what can Nintendo do to shake up Smash? Pull a Dissidia?
I'd love to see an RPG featuring a whole bunch of characters from different series ala Smash.

But you'd also have to still make a fighter, because many people would be understandably quite displeased with a wholesale genre change.

You must be new on the internet, huh?

Everyone knows that Nintendo decides when the seasons start and end.

;]
Splatoon 3 launched before the last heat wave and Side Order is launching after the first daffodil blooms. They have it figured out.

I hate the lead up to a Direct. I just get really bad FOMO over something getting shadow dropped and it makes me not want to play anything.

For example, I’m almost done with Sparks of Hope, which I’ve enjoyed. When I’m done I know I’m just going to spin my wheels for probably weeks when I should just be starting a new game. I’m just afraid of something like Metroid Prime 2 suddenly dropping and then I’m stuck in the middle of a long game.

It’s illogical but it happens every time.

I can do 2 games at a time at most, so I see what you mean. I just finished Pikmin 4 and started Splatoon 3’s story mode. But I can’t do both of these at the same time because I’ll get the controls confused.

I’d say maybe tackle some of the NSO games you’ve been meaning to tackle.

I hate the lead up to a Direct. I just get really bad FOMO over something getting shadow dropped and it makes me not want to play anything.

For example, I’m almost done with Sparks of Hope, which I’ve enjoyed. When I’m done I know I’m just going to spin my wheels for probably weeks when I should just be starting a new game. I’m just afraid of something like Metroid Prime 2 suddenly dropping and then I’m stuck in the middle of a long game.

It’s illogical but it happens every time.
The way I play games, I often start a game for a few weeks, get distracted/busy, and not come back to it for 2 months to 2 years. I sort of cycle through a rotation of active games and never let them dictate my time. Sometimes a sequel coming out is what motivates me to finish a game I started when it came out. I really don't care how long it takes me to finish a game, I can always come back later.

There are few games that I finish all in one uninterupted playthrough. But because I am content with that, shadowdrops make very little difference to how I play. If I'm excited for a new release, I'll just switch to playing that for a while.

I'm hoping Metroid Prime 2 Re/HD interupts me soon!

I've zero interest in a Smash Ultimate Deluxe or any smash game that doesn't bring back the single player modes and doesn't give the long standing legacy characters new movesets.
That can still happen. Nothing says a Deluxe version can't have a better single player mode. In fact, MK8DX broke the mold of what can or can't be done.

That can still happen. Nothing says a Deluxe version can't have a better single player mode. In fact, MK8DX broke the mold of what can or can't be done.
You know what can be said?

It's extremely bad branding to label something "Ultimate Ultimate" or "Deluxe Deluxe" except as a joke, so it definitely won't happen.

Not that more Smash won't happen, but it'll be Smash 6, not Ultimate Deluxe if it does.

Gotta say, I'm really proud of y'all for not going into Nintendoom mode after the Side Order trailer earlier. We've clearly learned our lesson from the past lol

You know what can be said?

It's extremely bad branding to label something "Ultimate Ultimate" or "Deluxe Deluxe" except as a joke, so it definitely won't happen.

Not that more Smash won't happen, but it'll be Smash 6, not Ultimate Deluxe if it does.
You think they will start all the way over? Man, that will take a long time for it to come out.

You think they will start all the way over? Man, that will take a long time for it to come out.
Smash games usually take their time. Outside of Smash 4 to Ultimate (for obvious reasons), Smash games generally come out every 6-7 years. A reveal in 2025 and release in 2026 (Ultimate DLC wrapped up in 2021) is not unreasonable if dev started in 2023.

Finally caught up on the thread today, lot going on for me. My favorite part of the news this morning is that it and the last few game updates really strengthened the rest of Q1.

Mario Vs DK - Just a graphical remake? Nope! 50+ new levels! First time in nearly two decades we got more levels in this style.

Princess Peach Showtime - Structure looking a little unclear? Well the trailer didn’t help, but the website updates offered a lot to pick through. Seemingly ten transformations that seem a little more fleshed out than the main trailers suggested alone.

Splatoon Side Order - Nebulous, far away date? Nope! It’s coming very soon!

Great stuff!

Smash games usually take their time. Outside of Smash 4 to Ultimate (for obvious reasons), Smash games generally come out every 6-7 years. A reveal in 2025 and release in 2026 (Ultimate DLC wrapped up in 2021) is not unreasonable if dev started in 2023.
I am cool with that. It just that I don't want to lose some of the characters they have already.

On the matter of Smash, I think a factor to consider is whether there is significant staff retention on the BN side in (assuming it is the Smash studio) Studio S which might mean that timeframes may be closer to 4-Ult compared with past games.

In terms of general Direct talk, I don’t think the recent Twitter Direct™️ info drops change anything either from timeframe or potential announcements - whether it’s the Process, or everything else talked so far, I still expect some surprises even in the Switch’s twilight years.

Finally caught up on the thread today, lot going on for me. My favorite part of the news this morning is that it and the last few game updates really strengthened the rest of Q1.

Mario Vs DK - Just a graphical remake? Nope! 50+ new levels! First time in nearly two decades we got more levels in this style.

Princess Peach Showtime - Structure looking a little unclear? Well the trailer didn’t help, but the website updates offered a lot to pick through. Seemingly ten transformations that seem a little more fleshed out than the main trailers suggested alone.

Splatoon Side Order - Nebulous, far away date? Nope! It’s coming very soon!

Great stuff!
They're clearing the deck for what is sure to be an excellent first Nintendo Direct of 2024!

They're clearing the deck for what is sure to be an excellent first Nintendo Direct of 2024!
Haha. I do think we are going to have a solid Direct, though for thinking it’s going to be cooler than I expected is more due to the Side Order release sliding into February rather than the content of any of the announcements.

Usually i always hope for a 40 minute direct but in this instance i hope it is on the shorter side because that would be further proof Nintendo is finally ready to move on from this soon to be 7 year old machine

The only thing I'll be sad about is that the Direct is going to be in February again unless surprise direct next week (,_,)

So many iconic franchises have been taken over by new developers. Why is Sakurai having a hard time finding someone? He said he couldn’t find someone some years ago. Does he have a standard that he wants someone who’s like him or thinks like him? I haven’t seen any other long standing series have a problem finding a new director except for Smash.

So many iconic franchises have been taken over by new developers. Why is Sakurai having a hard time finding someone? He said he couldn’t find someone some years ago. Does he have a standard that he wants someone who’s like him or thinks like him? I haven’t seen any other long standing series have a problem finding a new director except for Smash.
It's hard for some artists and creators to let go. I think he doesn't want to find anyone. The series is his legacy.

I'm hungry for more Nintendo news. If the Direct is likely in the first half of February, is there anything people think we can expect between now and then? We've gotten their January release, trailers for the remaining two of their dated Switch games, and an NSO release already. Perhaps the Smash Spirits also count. I'm not sure there's anything left to reveal for Mario vs. Donkey Kong, and anything majorly new for any remaining games seems likely to be held for a Direct. Another NSO release, perhaps? A demo for Mario vs. Donkey Kong and/or Princess Peach Showtimes? I feel it's going to be a quiet few weeks, but I'd like to be wrong.
After I posted this, we got the news that Nintendo will be uploading two concerts to YouTube, the release date for Side Order, and a new F-Zero 99 update. All in less than 24 hours and starting not long after I wrote the post. So, maybe I was a bit premature in thinking it'll be a quiet few weeks. Oops.

Has Nate started hinting at a Direct yet? I know he often times starts hinting about a month out if one is coming lol. Has he started yet?

So every time they give the Mario cast unique outfits(Strikers, Odyssey, Aces, Super Rush, MK Tour, and now Peach Showtime) fans absolutely eat it up

Something about them dressing for the occasion makes them 90% cooler than they usually are

You know it. I know it.

what I'm trying to say is that we the people demand that Nintendo bring back the Mario Party 2 board specific outfits in the next game

And then make it all unlockable as character outfits in Mario Kart. The people will eat it up.

I want Toad "hats" to be canon.

x1080

Put them in a new Wario Land, you cowards.

Wario can steal and wear these, fashionista that he is. The viewer never sees what becomes of the toad he takes it from.

With F-Zero 99 still getting pretty much monthly updates, what do we think the odds are that the next direct announces paid DLC?

I don't remember what the timeline was between Tetris 99's release and its DLC, but I'm hoping F-Zero gets something similar if only to add an offline mode that could somewhat future-proof it for when the servers inevitably go down one day

Sakamoto still doesn't seem to have a protege either.

I keep having to delete spaces from the Direct Bingo card I started making Jan 2 thanks to Nintendo's Twitter. My group chat keeps asking when it'll be done and I'm probably gonna keep it until the night before the Direct just so that nothing gets invalidated right away. Tonight's sacrifice was an F-Zero 99 update...

I'm a number of hours late to the discussion, but...Side Order getting announced for February when previously dated for Spring 2024 and when they already have a February retail game reminds me a lot of how Nintendo was acting last year.

I remember being surprised when FE Engage had a fast DLC schedule, when Metroid Prime Remastered shadowdropped the same month Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe was scheduled to release, and when Future Redeemed came out not long before Tears of the Kingdom. Nintendo packed their first half, and I thought that was going to mean something for the second half. But then they had almost three months without a significant retail release (sorry Pikmin 1+2) between July and October. Following that, they concluded the year by stuffing four retail games into October and November, and I never made sense of why they skipped the late summer after squeezing so much everywhere else.

I say this because I'm hesitant to read much into the Side Order date for what it says about what Nintendo is planning for 2024. I don't think it guarantees that Switch 2 is imminent (I think it's 2024 for different reasons), nor do I think it means they don't have games to talk about in a February Direct to fill out Q2 and parts of Q3. Those could both be true, but I'm not taking Side Order's date announcement as indicative of that. I guess what I'm saying is I tried to read into 2023's dense release schedule and ended up off the mark with my expectations, so I'm not going to repeat that with 2024 (for now).

EDIT: I'm sure there's an explanation, maybe related to fiscal quarters, sales momentum, retail stock, and such. Nintendo always has their reasons, of course.

Last edited:
I'm a number of hours late to the discussion, but...Side Order getting announced for February when previously dated for Spring 2024 and when they already have a February retail game reminds me a lot of how Nintendo was acting last year.

I remember being surprised when FE Engage had a fast DLC schedule, when Metroid Prime Remastered shadowdropped the same month Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe was scheduled to release, and when Future Redeemed came out not long before Tears of the Kingdom. Nintendo packed their first half, and I thought that was going to mean something for the second half. But then they had almost three months without a significant retail release (sorry Pikmin 1+2) between July and October. Following that, they concluded the year by stuffing four retail games into October and November, and I never made sense of why they skipped the late summer after squeezing so much everywhere else.

I say this because I'm hesitant to read much into the Side Order date for what it says about what Nintendo is planning for 2024. I don't think it guarantees that Switch 2 is imminent (I think it's 2024 for different reasons), nor do I think it means they also don't have games to talk about in a February Direct to fill out Q2 and parts of Q3. Those could both be true, but I'm not taking Side Order's date announcement as indicative of that. I guess what I'm saying is I tried to read into 2023's dense release schedule and ended up off the mark with my expectations, so I'm not going to repeat that with 2024 (for now).
Pikmin 4 was in that Summer period. We had one of the big pillar games for the year then.

Pikmin 4 was in that Summer period. We had one of the big pillar games for the year then.
Of course! The gap I'm referring to is July 21st (Pikmin 4) through October 6th (Detective Pikachu). We had the physical release of Pikmin 1+2 on September 22nd following its June digital release, but otherwise no retail game in August or September. I wasn't surprised that August was skipped following Pikmin 4, but to not have a new release in both August and September, specifically after stuffing previous months and the months that followed, is what surprised me. My lesson learned was "a dense schedule in one part of the year doesn't mean Nintendo has similar plans for the rest of it." (But of course, my perception of what is dense in this case is subjective.)

Of course! The gap I'm referring to is July 21st through October 6th. We had the physical release of Pikmin 1+2 on September 22nd following its June digital release, but otherwise no retail game in August or September. I wasn't surprised that August was skipped following Pikmin 4, but to not have a new release after stuffing previous months and the months that followed is what surprised me. My lesson learned was "a dense schedule in one part of the year doesn't mean Nintendo has similar plans for the rest of it."
Ah gotcha. Yeah it was mostly DLC from Nintendo then I recall (I think Mario and Rabbids, Mario Kart iirc, and Pokemon was the big one) and then there were a lot of third party games in September especially. The light schedule wasn’t too bad, but it was a bit odd.

Ah gotcha. Yeah it was mostly DLC from Nintendo then I recall (I think Mario and Rabbids, Mario Kart iirc, and Pokemon was the big one) and then there were a lot of third party games in September especially. The light schedule wasn’t too bad, but it was a bit odd.
Yeah, I agree. I didn't have any complaints as a player. Like you said, we got the final big Mario + Rabbids DLC and the first Pokemon DLC. We also got F-Zero 99 and a lot of NSO releases. I think those smaller digital-focused releases are how they kept the conversation and sales going while the new retail games with bigger marketing plans were saved for the fall.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm thinking there's other DLC planned for Spring and Splatoon got moved up to give it some room. Mario Wonder and Pikmin 4 are the obvious candidates. Nintendo always has DLC going at any given time.

In a normal year, I would think that Nintendo was clearing out a lot of smaller announcements in advance of the Direct so that they can either not have them in the Direct at all, or just do sizzle reel or quick mentions, or maybe a follow-up trailer.

But this year, I don’t know. It doesn’t seem like they’d have enough other stuff to fill a Direct unless there’s a lot more cooking pre-Switch 2 than it seems like. Lots of possibilities running the gamut of excitement levels.

It’s just a really interesting time to see how this all plays out.

Nintendo should do a smaller crossover fighter in the Style of DB Fighterz.
You would have the advantage, that since it is not comparable to the old smash it would not mater if the roster is smaller and you have time to develop a follow up to ultimate.

Weekly Questions Week 5
We are entering Week 5 of the Nintendo Direct Speculation thread and I’m glad to see the energy picking up again as we get ever closer to the big show! We’re getting close to crossing 100 pages which is awesome!

We had some big news this week with a new Princess Peach Showtime trailer that rolled out alongside a major website update that gave us a much better insight into the game as well an unexpectedly early release date for Side Order! Next week is the one to watch for big leaks if our consensus guess of Derachi’s February 7th week pans out so enjoy the last bit of calm days ahead while they last. As for thread business, I plan to close our current poll probably on Friday so be sure to get your votes in by Friday afternoon. The next poll could very well be the last one 👀 Alright onto the weekly question!

Week 5: In celebration of Under Night In-Birth II and the Apollo Justice collection, what are your favorite fighting games and visual novel / story heavy games on Switch? What fighting game and visual novels / story heavy games would you like to see return with rereleases and new entries?

I think my favorite fighting games on Switch are Smash Bros Ultimate, BlazBlue Central Fiction and Under Night In-Birth (UNI 2 is barely an hour away now!). I really dug both AI games and Gnosia for visual novels / story heavy games on Switch. As for rereleases and new games, for fighting games I’d like to see Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 hit Switch, as I still prefer Xrd to Strive, and I for smaller games I really dug Aquapazza on PS3 despite being unfamiliar with Aquaplus characters so I’d enjoy seeing that come back even though it likely has no chance at all lol. For visual novels / story heavy games, I most want a new Ace Attorney game and both Investigations games on Switch. Also a rerelease of all the Zero Escape games in one package would be very cool.

More interaction between the different properties. In today's world of MCU, Fortnite, and wacky live service collaborations, I no longer find it interesting or exciting just to see two things I know on screen at the same time. "Mario fights Samus" is no longer a crazy idea, it's the default mode of popp culture in the last five years or so. What I want to see from Smash is a more fleshed out feeling of these crossover elements connecting to each other.

That's intentionally an abstract point, because I'm not sure what shape that should take. Maybe PSASBR style crossover stages? Or Kirby having an all copy power move set? Subspace Emissary 2? More stuff like Snakes phone calls and Palutenas guidance? Maybe something like SFVIs world tour, where your Mii Fighter travels around Nintendo settings interacting with characters to build up a move set of cool references instead of the current set up where miis are generic?

Basically, I want too see the crossover aspect of the game evolve from feeling like a diorama of things you've seen before into something new and surprising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom