• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you all think the rumored Metroid marketing campaign in May would be about if that were happening? Metroid Prime 2 and 3 Remastered?
Depends if that's even in the cards anymore.

Like I could have seen that being the plan for Prime 4, prior to the console being delayed. Now? I'm not sure.

I'm also not convinced Prime 2 and 3 are getting full remasters. I expect them to just be ports from the Wii Trilogy, with minor graphical touch ups and modern control schemes.

Usually, yeah, but since this is a Partner Showcase and we don't know Nintendo's first-party plans after the shake-up with the Switch 2, I think it's reasonable to expect something else before June.
Yeah, I was gonna mention there was an occasion where we got a Partners Showcase and then a General Direct

IS should do the funniest thing with the FE5 remake and it make it so there is no easy/casual mode -- it's just as tedious as the original game was just so newer fans can experience peak FE as kaga intended
IS: “Alright. To get this divine weapon, you have to take this particular unit to the battle but leave out this other unit. Wait in this specific tile on this specific turn. Kill this specific enemy, visit 4 houses, but in this specific order, heal yourself 20 HP, break a weapon, reset the console 4 times , switch to joy cons, start up engage, polish Sigurd’s ring, go back to FE5 and a cutscene will occur and you will obtain this units Divine Weapon!”

IS: “and that’s an easy one”

Usually, yeah, but since this is a Partner Showcase and we don't know Nintendo's first-party plans after the shake-up with the Switch 2, I think it's reasonable to expect something else before June.

I hope so. But if they do updates on Twitter and announce like one more game that way then technically they’d be fine waiting. Ugh.

I’m definitely concerned we won’t be getting a full Direct until June at this point. When was the last time we had a General outside of February, June, or September? Of course, this is the first time also in a while we * won’t * have one in February, so maybe we’ll get lucky and it comes early. But adding my own two cents in for guessing how this year plays out:

February: Partner Direct this week, Pokemon Presents next week - seems pretty safe. Not expecting much groundbreaking stuff here.

March: Twitter drops for TTYD and LM2, either together or separately, that just give us classic trailers and release dates - TTYD in April, LM2 in May. Peach Showtime releases of course. I will take a somewhat optimistic guess and say there will also be a Twitter drop for a new port/remaster/remake of some kind here. I’m actually going with Donkey Kong Country Returns, dated for July.

April: Quiet month, just TTYD release mostly. Perhaps some NSO news to help make things a bit nicer here or in May.

May: Nintendo acknowledges the Switch 2 at last, but is firm about it being a product to look forward to * next year. * A dedicated presentation will come later. LM2 releases.

June: Finally a General Direct comes to give us a roadmap of the remainder of the year. A more in-depth look at DKCR remaster, FE4 remake finally shown and announced (coming October), a slew of mostly average-quality third-party titles, some new NSO news (no new platforms, sorry), new Mario Baseball coming August, show ends with a Zelda segment that gives us a digital shadow drop of WW and TP (a physical release bundling them in September), and a brand new 2D Zelda game is the last major new game announced and shown for the Switch 1, coming in November. No. Freaking. Metroid…

July: DKCR releases. Pretty quiet month otherwise.

August: Mario Baseball releases. Would be a nice month for some NSO content here.

September: Zelda WW/TP physical release. A new Direct comes, but… it’s another Partner Showcase. Some extra third-party releases to pad out the rest of 2024 and early 2025.

October: Fire Emblem releases. I am going to take a guess that this is the month Nintendo finally has a dedicated Switch 2 presentation. Nothing super long, but basic hardware and functions are shown off, along with some games: the latest 3D Mario as an exclusive , and, yes… Metroid Prime 4 as a cross-gen title. Sadly, Prime 2/3 look to be a lost cause. Switch 2 comes out in March 2025.

November: 2D Zelda releases. I could imagine this being a semi-big month for third-party releases and/or NSO stuff as well.

December: Quiet as usual. The anticipation for Switch 2 builds going into 2025.

yeah I wouldn't be surprised if there is a little mini direct but I also wouldn't be surprised if they don't have one until June.

When was the last time we had a General outside of February, June, or September?
Off the top of my head, I think it was 2018, where there was a general in March after the mini in January. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Are we thinking an announcement on Tuesday then for Partner? Its probably shadowdropped but I guess if hopefully theres an announcement then the Direct could be decent.

Week 8 - If the internal delay of Switch 2 is indeed real, what does the near future through the end of June look like for Nintendo in regards to both games and marketing events?
Oh that's a tough one...
What I'm pretty sure it's happening:
February 21st: Nintendo Direct Mini Partner Showcase - highlights will be the 4 Microsoft games(or at the very least Hi-Fi Rush and Pentimento), Red Dead Redemption 2 finally being announced, Dragon Quest III Remake finally being fully revealed and dated as a timed exclusive, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Shin Megami Tensei IV/Apocalypse Remastered collection plus V sequel of sorts tease for 2025, Ace Attorney 7 and Buddy Mission BOND localization+sequel(wishful thinking);
Next week: new trailer + April release date for Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door;
The week after: Pokémon Presents - we either get Pokémon Legends Unova announced for November as the main release or Black/White remakes for November and Legends for early 2025, Pokémon spin off announced, Pokémon RGB coming to NSO or a native port including online sold for 10 bucks;
March: it's officially acknowledged that Nintendo Switch 2 will be released in March 2025, nothing else. Late March: Nintendo Direct, new trailer and release date for Luigi's Mansion 2 HD, announcement for Fire Emblem 4 Remake for July, Donkey Kong by EPD Tokyo for September, new 2D Zelda for fall, a new game I can't think of which is announced for June;
June: Nintendo Direct - Mario Party is announced for October, 2D Zelda gets a release date for September, DK gets a new trailer, Tomodachi Life is revealed for December, Astral Chain 2 is coming in 2025, Golden Sun something is revealed for the fall, Metroid segment or Metroid Direct later -> Samus Returns HD is available today, Metroid Prime 2 and 3 Remastered come in October, Metroid Prime 4 is finally revealed and is coming in Spring 2025.
It really depends. We've seen Nintendo hold onto games that were finished for substantial amounts of time. It doesn't necessarily mean they have a dozen things they can fire out to fill the gap, but if we're looking at a 4 to 5 month delay, I wouldn't assume that's going to turn out to be a disaster and a complete dearth of content. They do seem to have learnt from the Wii U era and have more flexibility in their content pipeline than they used to.

Edit - phone shifted and I hit reply too soon. We've seen major EPD titles get pushed back without any real effect on their software line up - the Zelda and Animal Crossing delays spring to mind. A console is more complex, sure, but my assumption is the delay is less about day one titles and more about ensuring that year one titles are arriving at a steady clip.

For Switch, I'd always assumed Pokemon would be here late 2024 regardless of a successor machine. I think we'll also see more obvious filler content, like further Hagi ports and Nintendo Selects finally appearing.
Yeah, when we look at the fall 2019 and 2022 lineups we can only wonder "where the hell was Animal Crossing/Tears of the Kingdom supposed to fit??". They had absolutely stacked lineups, even it the absolute biggest release got delayed. It's a work of pushing stuff forward and back, and they'll definitely do this here.
Did Metroid Prime 1 even have a proper marketing campaign?
Nope, but it was a game that had prestige enough to handle a shadow drop. 2 and 3 don't have anywhere near that.
What do you all think the rumored Metroid marketing campaign in May would be about if that were happening? Metroid Prime 2 and 3 Remastered?
I think they might have enough Metroid stuff to afford a Metroid Direct, and a pretty meaty one.
  • Samus Returns HD for a shadow drop;
  • Metroid Prime 2/3 Remastered for August-December release;
  • Metroid Prime 4 for Spring 2025 or for October if we're really lucky;
  • Some spin off that they'll announce and surprise everyone;
  • if they're really at it and want to announce cross gen games for 2025, they probably have Metroid 6 in a presentable state by now.

It's not rumored or really even talked about, but I think a nice choice for a GCN/Wii remaster would be a Battalion Wars 1+2 collection. At some point in the next 5 years, I hope Nintendo announces that. I'd take that being announced in a Direct this year for sure.
I didn't see this earlier but if Advance Wars got delayed due to real life circumstances, I can't see Batallion Wars being released for a long time either. That one actually went all in the country stereotypes

We had a wild week this past week with no Direct and the news of a potential internal delay of the Switch 2 not to mention big news from both Sony and Microsoft regarding the future of their platforms. It seems this coming week is indeed our week for the next Direct so we’ll see what comes of it provided it happens. With us a bit more calm and cozy again, I’d like to resume the Weekly Questions and present our Week 8 question.

Week 8 - If the internal delay of Switch 2 is indeed real, what does the near future through the end of June look like for Nintendo in regards to both games and marketing events?

This has to an extent, been one of the big questions of the thread, but with the context so different now than expected. I felt like now was a good time to ask everyone directly. I think marketing events are going to be a little unusual compared to past years due to reshuffling. Plans that were in place now all have to get readjusted. I’m thinking:

This coming week - Partner Showcase + One First Party game inside. A double feature of some sort is happening and I’m leaning towards it being Paper Mario because that’s the next big game after Peach.

The following week - Pokemon show - new spinoff and the big remakes announced

Early April - Short General Direct

My thinking here for the games we are getting is April gets Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door, May gets Fire Emblem 4, and June gets Luigi’s Mansion 2 (plus one potentially). Marketing shake up aside, this is essentially my predictions I’ve been making through the thread for the most part and I think they’ll stick with it because I think Nintendo is going to pull in some banked remasters/remakes that were going to be saved for the cross gen period (which still will be a thing next year to be clear) to help cover the gaps later in the year (so beyond June). I always thought they’d save Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for next year in particular, but with the Switch 2 internally delayed this is that “break the glass in case of emergency” moment that it makes sense to have.

Anyway those are my thoughts, curious to hear what y’all think :)
Things are so unusual right now that it's really hard to say. Obviously the two locks are Partner Showcase this week and Pokemon Day the week after, which is nice! But, it does leave Nintendo in a bit of a bind for 1st party stuff. They could just do more Twitter updates to date April/May/June games, but at some point they have to actually announce stuff.

If Switch 2 isn't coming until early 2025, then March feels rather early to talk about it now - but on the other hand, I get the feeling that they won't be trying to avoid discussing it until after the holidays like they did last year, either. Some news will likely come out in the financial report in early May given sales forecasts and everything, for one. So where does that leave us?

I think that the Switch 2 will be 'soft' announced in early May, but we won't see anything of it until let's say September/October, much like the Switch 1. Maybe they'll even combo the September General with some Switch 2 stuff or something.

June feels too late to do a General Direct unless they're going to do a lot of Twitter announcements so... yeah, really the only thing that makes sense is either a Mini or a General in April/May. Which is weird! But this is going to be a weird year all around.

I didn't see this earlier but if Advance Wars got delayed due to real life circumstances, I can't see Batallion Wars being released for a long time either. That one actually went all in the country stereotypes
Ah, good call. I only played the Wii game and mostly played in its co-op mode. I don't recall the story or characterizations at all. In that case, depending on how problematic they are, I'd also take a sequel or reimagining of the original games.

i'll be publishing the Fire Emblem 4 remake, I offered so they could stick it in a partner showcase

every physical copy will come with a free Famiboards sticker

*disclaimer: I do not own any disk manufacturing equipment, all disks are very crudely drawn on paper and will not actually play any games

I think part of my anxiousness about Switch 2 at this point is less to do with Switch 2 itself and just wanting to see some more games. Going from early September to almost March is a long time - we really get spoiled in the middle of the year during years that have February, June, and September Directs

I think part of my anxiousness about Switch 2 at this point is less to do with Switch 2 itself and just wanting to see some more games. Going from early September to almost March is a long time - we really get spoiled in the middle of the year during years that have February, June, and September Directs
Yeah while I'm definitely planning on getting the hardware the software is the real interesting thing for me too

I really want to see what Nintendo has cooked up for the next gen

If I remember correctly, this was talked about a lot before we found out a Partner Showcase would be the next Nintendo Direct we'd get but do you all think an upcoming General could show off a Next-Generation game? I assume that we get a General after the next console is officially acknowledged by Nintendo (I'm thinking March to allow them to talk about it at GDC in a more open-yet still closed-fashion, so theoretically they could show one. I think? It would probably be a Cross-Generation game but I could see them phrasing it as such and then dating it for 2025 or something (maybe this is how Metroid Prime 4 does show up around May still?).

Did KT publish Hyrule Warriors?
Didn't Nintendo also publish Bravelt Defualt 2 in the west?
From my understand with Partner Showcases, as long as Nintendo doesn't publish the game in a region, I believe that it can still be included (I believe KT published Hyrule Warriors in Japan and Square published Bravely Default 2 in Japan)

KT published Hyrule Warriors in Japan, similarly, Spike Chunsoft published Cadence of Hyrule in Japan, which also showed up in a partner showcase.
Fire Emblem is always published by Nintendo worldwide, the only time a worldwide Nintendo published game has appeared in a partner showcase is Part Time UFO, which was a port of a game not published by Nintendo. Yes, Nintendo doesn't own Intelligent Systems, but there's no reason to see why Nintendo wouldn't consider Fire Emblem first party. "Partner" seems to be more "studio we don't always work with" and IntSys has almost never made a game without Nintendo.

I think the one of the bigger surprises for me about this being a Partner is that I thought we’d for sure be getting a new N64/GBA roadmap in a February Direct.

While that is something they could definitely drop on Twitter, they never have, so it feels weird to expect it. But if they can announce new games on Twitter why not this?

But yeah, I wonder when we’d hear more about NSO. Of course, maybe they’re not doing another roadmap. Hope not!

As much as I love the remaining unported Wii U games, I think some of them would pose a really challenge to bring over to new hardware. Color Splash and Star Fox Zero would have to be reworked on a fundamental level, even more so than something like Skyward Sword HD was. I just don't see them ever getting around the Gamepad features with any success.

As others mentioned, games that aren’t published by Nintendo in all regions are eligible. Warriors and Bravely Default weren’t published by Nintendo in Japan. Similarly, Mario + Rabbids was not published by Nintendo outside of Japan, and Shin Megami Tensei V was not published by Nintendo outside of Europe.

Fire Emblem games are always published by Nintendo worldwide.

As much as I love the remaining unported Wii U games, I think some of them would pose a really challenge to bring over to new hardware. Color Splash and Star Fox Zero would have to be reworked on a fundamental level, even more so than something like Skyward Sword HD was. I just don't see them ever getting around the Gamepad features with any success.
Huh? Color Splash had button controls and off-TV play. It wasn't IDEAL, but it worked.

Star Fox Zero isn't really worth re-releasing, unfortunately, so I don't see it happening. It was well-trodden ground given a fine... Trampling with experimental controls. That said, I don't think it would be totally unsalvageable, give us a button to swap views and an accurate reticle while in third person.

I think they could be done but I don't think Nintendo has much of a hankering for either, even if I think Color Splash is really good.

i'll be publishing the Fire Emblem 4 remake, I offered so they could stick it in a partner showcase

every physical copy will come with a free Famiboards sticker

*disclaimer: I do not own any disk manufacturing equipment, all disks are very crudely drawn on paper and will not actually play any games
Well that's good, because we need cartridges, not disks. Or discs, for that matter.

I haven’t played Color Splash myself, but my general understanding was that the gamepad usage was more or less trivial. Unless I missed something, it seems like one of the easier remaining Wii U ports to me.

Ah, good call. I only played the Wii game and mostly played in its co-op mode. I don't recall the story or characterizations at all. In that case, depending on how problematic they are, I'd also take a sequel or reimagining of the original games.
The first game literally starts with the Russia Equivalent invading a US Equivalent military base. Even worse, you later find out that the Russian Equivalent’s leader’s father led the attack on purpose to force a war because he was upset by his son’s peace talks. Until the Nazi Vampire faction comes into play, it’s literal US vs Russia.

The first game literally starts with the Russia Equivalent invading a US Equivalent military base. Even worse, you later find out that the Russian Equivalent’s leader’s father led the attack on purpose to force a war because he was upset by his son’s peace talks. Until the Nazi Vampire faction comes into play, it’s literal US vs Russia.
Ah. Thanks for that lesson. I guess I totally missed that because I didn't play the original, though maybe the sequel was just as bad. Doing anything with war seems risky, though I guess Advance Wars eventually came out. Well, whatever they do, seeing that mix of real-time strategy and 3rd-person controls with co-op play and a cartoon aesthetic return would be nice in whatever form it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom