• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Direct already happened. You just missed it.

anchorman-what.gif

What will come first : the Turrican Anthology patches or the Nintendo Direct announcement ?

Speaking of the next 3D Mario. I don't see it being announced here, but if it is or isn't, I hope it's more Odyssey than Bowser's Fury. I really prefer 3D Mario to lean hard into the immersive sorta earthy story focused nature of 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey. I don't much care for when they try to force 2D Mario elements into 3D Mario.

That said, not to bring up hardware, but I do think it'll be a launch title.

Is it about time for NSO Expansion Pass to get something like GBA? I only have the basic NSO so I haven't been following new releases on the expansion. It just feels like N64 has been available for a while now. The next direct could be a good time to expand that service even more!

N64 and Genesis were added in Fall 2021. They still have half a dozen announced N64 games to release in 2023 (including GoldenEye, 1080, ExciteBike 64, Pokémon stadium 1+2 and Mario Party 3) so I think that will carry us to the summer. And since they clearly made a deal with Rare, I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw other Rare games - especially those with Nintendo characters like DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing. I wouldn’t expect a new console to be added before the fall. They still have a bunch of announced stuff to get through.

N64 and Genesis were added in Fall 2021. They still have half a dozen announced N64 games to release in 2023 (including GoldenEye, 1080, ExciteBike 64) so I think that will carry us to the summer. And since they clearly made a deal with Rare, I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw other Rare games - especially those with Nintendo characters like DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing. So I wouldn’t expect a new console to be added before the fall.
I don't think Nintendo needs Rare to rerelease Donkey Kong 64 again, DKR on the other hand they probably need Rare for cuz of Banjo

N64 and Genesis were added in Fall 2021. They still have half a dozen announced N64 games to release in 2023 (including GoldenEye, 1080, ExciteBike 64, Pokémon stadium 1+2 and Mario Party 3) so I think that will carry us to the summer. And since they clearly made a deal with Rare, I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw other Rare games - especially those with Nintendo characters like DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing. I wouldn’t expect a new console to be added before the fall. They still have a bunch of announced stuff to get through.

I believe I saw banjo tooie as a future release too? Memory is fading .

It might be! We had a staff post last week that had fifty plus yeah!’s as well.

I guess that means people like us!

Or fear us
I think I saw Emily or Nate have a post once which hit almost a hundred Yeah!s. I'm sure the devs could look up the stats though

I intend to play that this year.

There’s no way it’s that bad, right?
I mean…what do you value in metroid?

its not to long, i found some ideas interesting, the moment to moment gameplay fine for the most part… its a 6/10 game with a 3/10 story.
worth a try.
(0-2 variants of unplayable mess, 3/4 working bad/boring game, 5 average boring game! 6 i can see potential in some aspects, itbdoes some things right, 7 is for genre/series fans, 8 is a really good game, 9 a great game, 10 a masterpiece)

I need to finish it since I started, but the worst part (haven’t gotten to story parts yet) is having to hold the Wii remote like a pointer to shoot missiles but everything else is controlled like it’s an NES controller. Just poor design decision.

3d Mario is so over due… actually so is 2d Mario, donkey Kong, kid Icarus, Metroid, punch out, top down Zelda, star tropics, where do I begin?

Yup Nintendo basically retired nearly every franchise I care about. Basically left waiting for so many good franchises to come back. It's kind of weird that we can get so many Fire Emblem games but not one new Donkey Kong or new top down Zelda (beyond a remake) among other dormant beloved franchises.

Yup Nintendo basically retired nearly every franchise I care about. Basically left waiting for so many good franchises to come back. It's kind of weird that we can get so many Fire Emblem games but not one new Donkey Kong or new top down Zelda (beyond a remake) among other dormant beloved franchises.
I mean it's not really that weird, it's more that FE has a dedicated studio (well that and Paper Mario) and a pretty short dev cycle, while the other games are all made by studios busy with other things (which also happen to have longer dev times)

Played it 2020/21 for the first time and really enjoyed it.
That said I can see people complaining about Story and controls.
But that aside I enjoyed the linear gameplay, the scope, the atmosphere, the look and the suprisingly good graphics for a wii game. Really had dead space vibes sometimes.

rn im feeling a launch with a weird epd4 game and cross-gen metroid prime 4 for the hardcore audience in march 2024 and then a 3d mario in october/november for the holiday push

It's possible, but to me holiday 2024 just seems like too long a dev cycle for 3D Mario. That would be 7 years since Odyssey and over 3.5 years since Bowser's Fury. Also I know they don't need a really big title to launch new hardware, but I feel like they would want one.

Is it? What games get made, not just at Nintendo but at any company, are often less about "will this sell?" and "is there someone with an idea pushing for it?". There's a reason chibi robo, despite being a perpetual bomba, kept getting new games for a decade while F-Zero or Startropics or insert your favorite dead Nintendo IP here got none. Do you really want Nintendo to call Grezzo or Mercury Steam or Retro or any other 1st/2nd/3rd party company and say "hope y'all have a good idea for how to make a modern Mach Rider, cause that's what you're working on have fun!" That would likely lead to awful games which dead IP don't need.

Which franchises they retired you care about?

If a particular series or subset of a series is still getting ports or remakes of older titles, it hasn't been retired.

Really, it's biggest problem is how the story and action clash. It's trying (and honestly failing) and being an action game with fast movement and fast attacks (as well as the introduction to the counter mechanic that is so underutilized that no one realizes its in there until they read it in a post) but whenever you get into a groove the game stops itself in its tracks for a slow, plodding, plot that kind of goes nowhere. This constant back and forth is really what gets this game down. But as someone who did enjoy the gameplay (and personallly think you can have both a fun game and interesting story with every element in Other M if the exeuction wasn't so bad), its this part that is the largest factor in this game not working.

Don't get me wrong, there's a shit ton else in there (especially in its story being incredibly bad) but that to me is the game's largest sin.

Just gonna chime in and say that while I'm a dedicated supporter of Team February, my birthday is in 2 days and a surprise Direct would reaaaaaally put the icing on the ol proverbial cake, so to speak. The original Switch Presentation was on my birthday and that was a really neat gift!
Happy Future Birthday @kaydeejay

May your wish come true!!!!!!

At the moment I'm kind of struggling to think of what titles would be cross-gen, since the topic came up. If the hardwre launches this year, Tears of the Kingdom and Pikmin 4 would be cross-gen games. If not, then I feel like all there would be is Pokemon, a random 2024 Kirby game, maybe a Mario Party if we get one in 2024?

I can't imagine most of the major releases going forward would be cross-gen, at least not the ones made by Nintendo themselves. Pokemon and Mario Party and Kirby can help keep the Switch selling, aside from that I'm having a hard time thinking of what would be cross-gen.
A new Donkey Kong game could be cross-gen?

Which franchises they retired you care about?

Retired was me being cheeky but we haven't had a new Donkey Kong, Star Fox Mario (2D and 3D), Yoshi, etc in many years. Either way I miss a lot of franchises I feel we are due for new entries in. Hopefully Zelda will at least deliver something special. :)

Last edited:
It's possible, but to me holiday 2024 just seems like too long a dev cycle for 3D Mario. That would be 7 years since Odyssey and over 3.5 years since Bowser's Fury. Also I know they don't need a really big title to launch new hardware, but I feel like they would want one.
I feel like it's already been too long a dev cycle for 3D Mario and they're just waiting for the right time to drop one, like with Mario Kart. If they launch in Q1 Metroid Prime 4 would be a big title to push to the hardcore audience who buys it day one and 3D Mario would serve as that for a more general audience going into the holiday season

If a particular series or subset of a series is still getting ports or remakes of older titles, it hasn't been retired.
Especially given that Nintendo seems to be using ports and remakes as trials for new releases (Pikmin 4 and Metroid Dread following 3 DX and Samus Returns come to mind). Both in terms of testing out dev teams and seeing whether the series is profitable enough to develop.

I imagine that may also be the impetus behind the rumored ports of KI: Uprising and especially F-Zero.

Speaking of the next 3D Mario. I don't see it being announced here, but if it is or isn't, I hope it's more Odyssey than Bowser's Fury. I really prefer 3D Mario to lean hard into the immersive sorta earthy story focused nature of 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey. I don't much care for when they try to force 2D Mario elements into 3D Mario.

That said, not to bring up hardware, but I do think it'll be a launch title.
I don’t care about what “vibe” it emits. I think I prefer traditional 3D Mario (Sunshine, 64) in that sense too.

But I absolutely want the next game to take some gameplay cues from BF. I think it’s a wonderful template as it provides the best possible combo of open worldbuilding with potentially very solid platforming. The latter of which I think Odyssey really lacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom