• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look upon your god Team January and ask why he has not delivered a Direct onto you!

images

You pray for beginnings but he only offers you endings.

the Q1 Direct will show us our first glimpse at either the beginning of Switch 2 or the atrophic ending of Switch 1

Just gonna chime in and say that while I'm a dedicated supporter of Team February, my birthday is in 2 days and a surprise Direct would reaaaaaally put the icing on the ol proverbial cake, so to speak. The original Switch Presentation was on my birthday and that was a really neat gift!

Q1 is going to be a very important Direct for me because if it suggests that Nintendo is winding things down until 2024 I'm going to try to stop following this stuff for my sanity
I think the first Direct of the year will have at least one 2024 game revealed, but maybe there's a big game for the latter half too.
I think it's gonna be Metroid Prime Remake+4 teaser, and I wouldn't rule out the next 3D Mario being revealed for holiday 2023 or early 2024.

Nintendo's going to mess with us and announce a Direct that will start on January 31st and end on February 1st, aren't they?

and I wouldn't rule out the next 3D Mario being revealed for holiday 2023 or early 2024.
I have been saying for ever that this Direct needs 3D Mario by Tokyo! Some people are saying that DK makes more sense but I don't think so. Others are saying that this new 3D Mario is next gen exclusive which I also doubt. 3D Mario in this Direct. Please.

Which would also be ironic since this Direct is 99.9% going to be hosted by Takahashi, so after 6 years the game will be revealed...but not my Koizumi imao.

I have been saying for ever that this Direct needs 3D Mario by Tokyo! Some people are saying that DK makes more sense but I don't think so. Others are saying that this new 3D Mario is next gen exclusive which I also doubt. 3D Mario in this Direct. Please.

Which would also be ironic since this Direct is 99.9% going to be hosted by Takahashi, so after 6 years the game will be revealed...but not my Koizumi imao.

nintendo isn't going to waste 3D mario on the switch if they have any intention of launching a new system within the next five years
This is what frustrates me. Yeah, they should save it for better hardware but their last game was 2017, come on…

Also last year was the year with the least Mario releases for like 30 years. I really hope they have SOMETHING coming up soon, be it 2D, 3D or Donkey Kong. Its been such a long time.

The earliest game I could see being Switch 2 exclusive is the new Mario Kart. I think a lot of people are underestimating how long will cross gen games be a thing (one year at minimum imo).
If the Switch successor is bc with the original I fully expect to see some Switch games that release 2-3 years after the successor is out. Probably not from Nintendo but from 3rd parties and indies who want to tap into that 120+ million market.

The earliest game I could see being Switch 2 exclusive is the new Mario Kart. I think a lot of people are underestimating how long will cross gen games be a thing (one year at minimum imo).
I don't think Nintendo would launch a new system with no software though

3D Mario is the best candidate unless new hardware is really far out

at least EPD Tokyo will have its "fucking Donkey Kong" moment

I'm absolutely fascinated by what they'll do for the new Mario Kart.

I remember at release date on the Wii U, my jaw was on the floor for hours, thinking "how on earth can they top this".
8 years later, I was playing the DLC last night. Jaw no longer on the floor, but still very much thinking "how do you improve on this?"

I really believe MK8 doesn't get enough credit in the "greatest games of the generation" conversation. It's a masterpiece. Hard to follow a masterpiece.

EDIT: The luigi death stare memes are almost a decade old. FUCK

I don't want to go much into hardware territory here but if this game launches late 2023 (best timing) or early 2024, that's when the new hardware is probably launching. If it's in that time frame it will also release on this Switch. Of course it will look better etc. etc. But it will be cross-gen title.

Also the fact that Zelda was planned for 2022 Holidays (at least in year of 2021). Pretty much tells you that they had no intention launching 3D Mario this year, which leads you into 2023 Holiday title maybe? Maybe it was plan all along.

I think 3d mario is a shoe in for holiday 2023 and probably the next switch launch title, it's probably the only game I can see being a launch exclusive for the new console since we already have a ton of 3d mario on the switch and 3d mario is pretty much as perfect as 3d zelda to be a launch title. I also think they'll show it at e3 so nothing this direct, unless they want to tease it as the last thing of the FEBRUARY direct and do a full showing at e3.

I think Nintendo's post-Switch 2 crossgen support will mainly consist of remakes, (e.g. the rumored FE4 remake, maybe Zelda Oracle remakes etc.) remasters, "small" games, and casual games—looking at Mario Party's current release schedule, for example, places the next Mario Party game in 2024, (the year the Switch 2 is gonna release imo) so that's a good example of a huge casual game that'll probably be crossgen.

Most if not all major first party games releasing after the Switch 2's launch will probably be next-gen exclusive imo. Nintendo relies on first party support to a much greater extent than Sony or Microsoft to sell their consoles, so it'll be imperative to get big releases on the Switch successor ASAP, and to get major new next-gen exclusive entries in all of their major franchises on the successor ASAP in order to move the Switch's massive audience over the next system. Nintendo can NOT afford the Wii U 2 at this point. They have no other platform to fall back on.

Oh yeah, I'm a huge believer 3D Mario is gonna be revealed either at this Direct or at E3. I don't see how DK would make more sense this year than Mario. Mario IP will be at its highest in terms of hype and mainline media attention due to the movie. I can see this next Mario after the movie being like Pokémon Sun & Moon after Pokémon GO, smashing every record before.

The other thing is that, while it probably was already in development before, the hirings for the 2D Action game in Tokyo came out only one year after the 3D one. If DK started development in 2020 there's a chance it just won't be ready this year(Metroid Dread took 4 years, I highly doubt the next DK after Tropical Freeze, which before Dread was the highest possible effort in a 2D game will be out before that mark).

Well, we could apply the same rule of BotW-TotK to Odyssey-Next, as Odyssey and BotW had about the same development time(~4 years). If the development time is increased like it did with TotK and 3D Mario only started development in late 2019, it could mean it's holiday 2024. BUT, I highly doubt it wasn't in development before then - just like TotK was in development already before the hirings calls after E3.

Whenever it comes, whether it's holiday 2023, early 2024 or holiday 2024, I fully expect the game to be cross gen. It started development in 2019 at the latest, and we are seeing games that started development around then coming to Switch (Splatoon 3, Fire Emblem Engage, MP4 after reboot, etc).

Oh yeah, I'm a huge believer 3D Mario is gonna be revealed either at this Direct or at E3. I don't see how DK would make more sense this year than Mario. Mario IP will be at its highest in terms of hype and mainline media attention due to the movie. I can see this next Mario after the movie being like Pokémon Sun & Moon after Pokémon GO, smashing every record before.

The other thing is that, while it probably was already in development before, the hirings for the 2D Action game in Tokyo came out only one year after the 3D one. If DK started development in 2020 there's a chance it just won't be ready this year(Metroid Dread took 4 years, I highly doubt the next DK after Tropical Freeze, which before Dread was the highest possible effort in a 2D game will be out before that mark).

Well, we could apply the same rule of BotW-TotK to Odyssey-Next, as Odyssey and BotW had about the same development time(~4 years). If the development time is increased like it did with TotK and 3D Mario only started development in late 2019, it could mean it's holiday 2024. BUT, I highly doubt it wasn't in development before then - just like TotK was in development already before the hirings calls after E3.

Whenever it comes, whether it's holiday 2023, early 2024 or holiday 2024, I fully expect the game to be cross gen. It started development in 2019 at the latest, and we are seeing games that started development around then coming to Switch (Splatoon 3, Fire Emblem Engage, MP4 after reboot, etc).
Agreed with everything said here. If it's not releasing this year than that's fine but we are definitely seeing it THIS YEAR which is hype enough on it's own. And I don't believe it's Odyssey 2, that ship has sailed long time ago. Totally excited what will they do, can't wait.

There is one obstacle with it's release this year and that's 2D Mario (if that's like June-July title) either way we are seeing fruits by Tokyo this year no doubt.

you didn't go back far enough!

Donkey_Kong_94_box_art.jpg
Fun fact: There supposed to be a middle game in this 3 game series called Donkey Kong Plus, allowed creative mode on Gamecube with a link cable:
dkplusbooth_4606scza.jpg

It was supposed to be closer to DK94 in terms of gameplay but for some reason it got cancelled (most likely due to disappointing GCN sales) and NST went on and created that 2005 game instead.

nintendo isn't going to waste 3D mario on the switch if they have any intention of launching a new system within the next five years
I'm pretty sure I heard this exact argument but with Zelda just several months ago.

They'll launch it with whatever, and I mean that. Since the GameCube, there's been no consistent launch title strategy. The only system I think they've looked at and decided the launch software was a big problem was the 3DS; it's their only modern system where a launch title wasn't interesting enough to crack top 10 on the sales list, and the launch was pretty clearly more of an issue than the system itself. I don't think they simply look at the whole of whether a system did well it not and use that to determine if the launch lineup was effective.

I'd argue even the Wii U's first party lineup with just 2D Mario and Nintendo Land was fine; it was the lack of anything after that wasn't. Nintendo's next title in North America after NSMBU was literally New Super Luigi U in June, 7 months later.

They'll make sure there's enough big games, I agree. I just think they're okay if 3D Mario isn't one of them (though yes - it'd certainly be interesting to see a new console try to navigate the fact that its next big Mario and Zelda games only started development within a year of the platform's release).

I hardly see how releasing the next game in the mainline Super Mario series the year the brand will be at its highest due to the movie on a 120M+ user base, while also being a launch title to the next generation hardware is a waste ;p
I totally agree with this. There's no reason why the next 3D Mario can't be cross gen. There's plenty of reason for it not to be exclusive to next hardware tho, like being in development for years before with Switch in mind, uncertainty on how the next hardware will sell, movie releasing while there's only the OG, cross gen games that will probably come after 3D Mario(Metroid Prime 4 and Pokémon remakes)
This is what frustrates me. Yeah, they should save it for better hardware but their last game was 2017, come on…

Also last year was the year with the least Mario releases for like 30 years. I really hope they have SOMETHING coming up soon, be it 2D, 3D or Donkey Kong. Its been such a long time.
To me it's not a matter of them saving game for new hardware or anything like that, it's the mix of development cycles getting longer on Switch, EPD Tokyo apparently switching from their engine to LunchPak and of course COVID happening. That's what led to Tears of the Kingdom coming in May 2023 instead of the 2022 announced date (which it could even be expected internally to 2021 or something)
Yep, we most likely get a 2D Mario if they really want to cap off the Switch.
You mean releasing before next Switch or playable on OG Switch at all? Tbh I can't see Nintendo releasing the very first game of the next hardware as an exclusive to it. Twilight Princess still came to GCN, BotW still came to Wii U, and those were flopped machines.

It won't be releasing with no software tho. The software will just also be playable on the current hardware. PS5 and Xbox Series are doing fine despite most of the games being cross gen.
Switch didn't release with no software, its system seller was still a Wii U game.

I think 3d mario is a shoe in for holiday 2023 and probably the next switch launch title, it's probably the only game I can see being a launch exclusive for the new console since we already have a ton of 3d mario on the switch and 3d mario is pretty much as perfect as 3d zelda to be a launch title. I also think they'll show it at e3 so nothing this direct, unless they want to tease it as the last thing of the FEBRUARY direct and do a full showing at e3.
There's a ton of 3D Mario on Switch just like there was a ton of Zelda games on Wii U. Only original one is Odyssey, which is also one of the best selling games of all time. Breath of the Wild is getting a sequel, despite years later selling better than Odyssey as evergreen. I can't see why there can't be a new 3D Mario on Switch.

The Switch clearly isn't dead to me, especially when 2D Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikmin 4, Prime 4, and Style Savvy hit the console this year or the year after. They still have a LOT of games for the console and they proved it by announcing 4 totally new games and 1 remake/remaster before 2023 even started.

Is it about time for NSO Expansion Pass to get something like GBA? I only have the basic NSO so I haven't been following new releases on the expansion. It just feels like N64 has been available for a while now. The next direct could be a good time to expand that service even more!

There's a ton of 3D Mario on Switch just like there was a ton of Zelda games on Wii U. Only original one is Odyssey, which is also one of the best selling games of all time. Breath of the Wild is getting a sequel, despite years later selling better than Odyssey as evergreen. I can't see why there can't be a new 3D Mario on Switch.
I'm not saying that they can't release a new 3d mario on the switch, I'm just saying that there wouldn't be a problem to have a 3d mario exclusive to the next switch if they want to.

i'm personally thinking that we'll get Style Savvy at the end of March, it seems like a perfect spot for the game. It doesn't need a long marketing cycle and I don't think that Bayonetta Origins will carry the whole month by itself. April is most likely dedicated to TotK marketing and the Mario movie.

Last edited:
I think Miyamoto spelled out the direction of backwards compatibility and cross-gen titles pretty well here:

IMG_3334.png

I’m of the belief that the majority of new titles released after the new hardware will be exclusive to it, even within the first year. The next 3D Mario and Mario Kart for certain; and of course all the other major IPs like Animal Crossing, Smash, Zelda and Splatoon as they cycle in. If it launches after the new hardware, Prime 4 will be one major exception; the next Pokémon game (whatever form of remake / reimagining it takes) is another I can see as cross-gen based on Game Freak’s history; but I imagine the majority of cross-gen experiences would be ports, remasters or casual games with no real benefit in being exclusive. Any remaining Wii U ports like Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Poochy & Yoshi’s Woolly World Deluxe or Xenoblade X Definitive Edition; the next Mario Party or even Tomodachi Collection; those types of projects. Not too disimilar from the lineup of post-Switch 3DS games.

Last edited:
at this point im relatively confident that the switch 2 will come out in h1 2024 and i'm pretty damn confident 3d mario will either be the launch title or the holiday title

rn im feeling a launch with a weird epd4 game and cross-gen metroid prime 4 for the hardcore audience in march 2024 and then a 3d mario in october/november for the holiday push

New theory: the new 3D Mario is a larger open world than Bowser's Fury. The Switch struggles to maintain 60fps, so instead of changing their vision, it's just exclusive to new hardware.

EDIT: I get this feeds the exact discourse some people are tired of regarding new hardware, but after Bowser's Fury was 30fps in handheld mode I feel it's actually applicable here.

Last edited:
I had a good migraine free day so I sort of decked out of the thread for a bit to enjoy some time with some friends for a while.

Gotta take these small victories when I can

I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up getting another WarioWare, specifically one that is more akin to Smooth Moves and less Get it Together.

More ports too, specifically Wind Waker HD. I know TotK is coming this year but there is always room for Toon Link.

At the moment I'm kind of struggling to think of what titles would be cross-gen, since the topic came up. If the hardwre launches this year, Tears of the Kingdom and Pikmin 4 would be cross-gen games. If not, then I feel like all there would be is Pokemon, a random 2024 Kirby game, maybe a Mario Party if we get one in 2024?

I can't imagine most of the major releases going forward would be cross-gen, at least not the ones made by Nintendo themselves. Pokemon and Mario Party and Kirby can help keep the Switch selling, aside from that I'm having a hard time thinking of what would be cross-gen.

New theory: the new 3D Mario is a larger open world than Bowser's Fury. The Switch struggles to maintain 60fps, so instead of changing their vision, it's just exclusive to new hardware.

EDIT: I get this feeds the exact discourse some people are tired of regarding new hardware, but after Bowser's Fury was 30fps in handheld mode I feel it's actually applicable here.
Maybe it's just gonna be 30FPS on current Switch and 60 on next. 30FPS isn't bad for an open world game, and it's rather common, the vast majority of the PS4 and Xbox One libraries, including some PS360 ports are 30, there are a handful of PS5/Xbox Series games that have graphics modes at 30.

Also, up until Odyssey, open ended Mario was never 60FPS.

But I think EPD 8 totally can get whatever they're working next running and looking great on OG Switch and also take advantage of everything Drake can offer, moreso with the longer than ever before development.

there are a lot of series that dont really need the new hardware

Wario Land for example could be a cross gen game, depending on when and if it ever comes out.

I guess today(Wednesday) is the last chance for this week, next week is deffo a no, then we have the last week of January. I think I'll go all in on last week of January, but still things are looking grim, team January 😔

I guess today(Wednesday) is the last chance for this week, next week is deffo a no, then we have the last week of January. I think I'll go all in on last week of January, but still things are looking grim, team January 😔
Mods I'd like to report this user for confusing me about what day of the week it is

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom