• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
From N, Arceus, Advance Wars, Kirby and Triangle Strategy.

For everything that Furukawa said, I do not think that they are in a rush to show more games right now.
So January, April, spring, and March?

No June game?

Here is, to my knowledge, everything that we know about the Stinky Horse Game. Please let me know if anything is incorrect

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
since this is a bona fide speculation thread, I will speculate a little:

we could potentially see a game called Everybody Switch! and if there’s a horse person, it could be similar to how there are cowboys in 1, 2, Switch!

I imagine that if there is a horse person involved, it may be akin to how the screen content was in the original. Perhaps they have made the scenarios zanier and more animated.

just my guess, if any of this comes to pass

Splatoon in June makes sense. That date probably gets announced in the first general direct.

May will probably have that annual casual game we mostly skip.

Is anyone else kinda surprised we haven’t seen more effort to get 3DS ports on switch to the degree that we’ve gotten Wii U ones?

I know they’re harder to do, but I really thought they would in order to emphasize the system’s hybrid nature as a replacement for both portable and home console.

Even if it’s just a specific line of digital only $40 uprezzed “Nintendo 3DS Classics” or something, really surprised there hasn’t been more of an effort

Is anyone else kinda surprised we haven’t seen more effort to get 3DS ports on switch to the degree that we’ve gotten Wii U ones?

I know they’re harder to do, but I really thought they would in order to emphasize the system’s hybrid nature as a replacement for both portable and home console.

Even if it’s just a specific line of digital only $40 uprezzed “Nintendo 3DS Classics” or something, really surprised there hasn’t been more of an effort
3DS games probably mostly sold well enough relative to their budgets that they don't feel the need to bother doing more work to HD-ify them and port them to Switch.

They bring Miitopia, it is very likely that future ports will be valued based on the results of this port.

Anyway, I think that with almost all the interesting WiiU catalog ported, now they will start to bring things from 3ds and Wii.

I do wonder if, now they are almost done porting all the Wii U games, they will focus on some of their other platforms like GC, Wii and 3DS? Like you say it’s harder to do but we have seen some trickling out (Skyward Sword and Miitopia for instance)

I remember Emily mentioning before that Nintendo were interested in updating their games to bring to their new platforms, hopefully this is still an area Nintendo are interested in.

I do wonder if, now they are almost done porting all the Wii U games, they will focus on some of their other platforms like GC, Wii and 3DS? Like you say it’s harder to do but we have seen some trickling out (Skyward Sword and Miitopia for instance)

I remember Emily mentioning before that Nintendo were interested in updating their games to bring to their new platforms, hopefully this is still an area Nintendo are interested in.
I do remember Emily mentioning that, yeah.

3DS should at least be easier than DS from a touch screen perspective. Many of its games only use it for convenience since the gimmick had kinda worn off by then. Compare ALBW to the DS Zeldas, for example. Unless I’m misremembering ALBW

I do remember Emily mentioning that, yeah.

3DS should at least be easier than DS from a touch screen perspective. Many of its games only use it for convenience since the gimmick had kinda worn off by then. Compare ALBW to the DS Zeldas, for example. Unless I’m misremembering ALBW

There was some (optional) usage of the touch screen, but other than being a convenient screen for the map and items, it definitely isn't a requirement.

It's one of the reasons I hope that game can make the move, some day. At least, assuming, I'm not going to get another 2D Zelda any time soon.

There was some (optional) usage of the touch screen, but other than being a convenient screen for the map and items, it definitely isn't a requirement.

It's one of the reasons I hope that game can make the move, some day. At least, assuming, I'm not going to get another 2D Zelda any time soon.
Yeah, off the top of my head titles with not a lot of touch screen implementation include 3D Land, NSMB2, Samus Returns, Kirby Triple deluxe, planet Robobot, fire emblems awakening, echoes and fates…

I'd imagine once they are complete with the WiiU, they'll start mining the 3DS and other consoles more frequently for remasters/remakes to fill out their calendar. I do think 3DS games probably present a bit more difficultly in transition than say Wii or GC, in that it was a dual screen device wherein many of the games were designed around a "small screen", using the 2 screens, etc. Some arguably would need a bigger visual overhaul as well.

That said I don't really think there's many 3DS games from Nintendo I would even care about them bringing over. Quite a lot that were just "ok", and many like AC, MK, etc., have already been completely superseded by better new releases.

Nintendo always does what noone expects, so if we are expecting February Direct there will be almost certainly January Direct
I agree. But the problem here is that some of us do expect January(and even a few March) so I'm not sure what that means.

In fact I can't even hypothesize or I jinx that too.

Nintendo is a very tricky customer.

Not really. The sheer number of Wii U ports is somewhat of an anomaly and something Nintendo only really does when their previous console did pretty badly.

Personally, I'd be much more interested in emulation-driven 3DS "BC" than ports, as well.

At E3 they will announce that Splatoon 3 will be the June game.
I think that's too fast for a brand new release. A June game would have to be dated earlier.

3D All-Stars was one thing, but everyone knew exactly what it was the minute they saw it. I'm not convinced a traditional marketing cycle is unnecessary for Splatoon.

In isolation I would support Splatjoon (Splatoon 3 in June) but Splatoon 2 came out right around when summer break started for students in Japan, and I think they'd like to replicate that

YEAR OF THE SPLAT

Splanuary
Splebruary
Splarch
Splapril
Splay
Splatjune
Splatuly
Splaugust
Splatember
Splatober
Splovember
Splatcember

Back on my Kirby Direct prediction/wish, I do think they’re going to make a big deal out of the anniversary, as per usual with Kirby, as in the past:

- We received a collection with a plethora of bonus additions like new challenges based on the most recent mainline game for the 20th

- We got tons of merchandise, an orchestral concert, as well as multiple smaller games, including what was essentially a 3D remake of the first game in the series for the 25th

With that being said the number of Kirby merch releases and brand deals has absolutely exploded since 2017, so there will obviously be a push on that front, but in the case of the games… I genuinely believe HAL has at least one more surprise up there sleeve.

Going back to the idea of Nintendo wanting more of their recent history on the Switch, what if we got another Kirby collection? This one would be different imo, whereas Dream Collection contained emulated ports with some unrelated bonus features, I believe this time, we’ll see remasters of the campaigns of Return to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe, and Planet Robobot, as HAL has used the engine for nearly every Kirby game released in the past decade, with Fighters 2 presenting the most updated version of it, even containing several redone elements from the games up for remaster. On the topic of new content I wouldn’t expect much, maybe a new version of “The Arena” containing every boss from the 3 games, but that’s about it. I’ve even tossed around the idea of whether or not they would even keep the sub games, with Fighters and Clash getting Switch sequels, as well as the games in RtDL having a heavy reliance on motion controls.

Do I really expect this? No, maybe we just get one of these remastered tbh but maybe this is too unreasonable of deal to expect from Nintendo, just a fun idea to think about.

I am just waiting to see how much the madness will grow before Nintendo announces the Direct, it probably won't as bad as January 2018, but we will see. Can you feel it guys? The Nintendo Direct anxiety building up?

The one game I'm expecting (or thinking of comingà in H1 that hasn't been announced already is the WWHD/TPHD double pack.

If we get more 3ds remasters on Switch, one I'd really like to see is Fire Emblem Echoes. It kinda got screwed over by its release date, and it had really nice graphics for a 3ds game (and amazing art from Hidari I'd love to see in HD on the big screen!) so a good remaster on Switch could help it get more attention, and look really good if it was done well. It also felt the most "console-like" of the 3ds FE games imo, so a remaster you can play on your TV would feel fitting. Plus, assuming we do get more Echoes remakes in the future (I'm thinking the next next FE game for the next remake, not the 2022 game) it'd be nice to have the first game in the Echoes line available on the same ecosystem (Switch/Switch 2) as future remakes.

Not expecting presentations for this month
Guess that PLA news can easily be shared though YouTube trailers

Nintendo started on the 3DS ports in 2021, and had multi-platform 3DS/Switch releases back in 2017 and 2018.

In all seriousness 3DS ports to future systems will likely happen - Nintendo can't port/remaster everything on Switch because then they'd run out of less demanding filler titles/nostalgia-powered-profit generators for the future. They're clearly happy to mine multiple systems for Switch titles. We've seen them remake and remaster GameBoy, FamiCom, Wii and GBA titles on Switch now.

I am just waiting to see how much the madness will grow before Nintendo announces the Direct, it probably won't as bad as January 2018, but we will see. Can you feel it guys? The Nintendo Direct anxiety building up?

Unlikely considering how much of the 2022 line-up we already know of.

At that point in time we were completely in the dark and we had huge expectations on what Nintendo would show.

I keep wanting to say "Spla-play-pril" for some reason.

January direct is actually very very rare. But they almost always have a Q1 Direct.
Probably more accurate to say that January directs are common, but they are no usually standard/full directs.

Pretty much every January general Direct has been a “desperation direct” or with the 2015 one, one that introduced new hardware (New 3DS for the West). There was the mini in 2018, but it was just a mini. The 2017 presentation would also fall under “desperation”, but it also was a result of them delaying the switch’s launch from holiday 2016 to March 2017.

Basically, January Direct’s are dead, Jim. Unless the next switch is a flop. Then expect to see one the following January after launch. Or if it happens to launch in March, in which case Nintendo has an average of roughly two months between announcement and release for system revisions.

When do you all think Xenoblade 3 will come out? (If the rumors are true) I've seen many people predicting that it'll be a q3 or q4 game, but earlier, like May, seems more logical to me, as some reports last year said that it was initially planned for 2021. So it should be pretty far along. Also, assuming that Kirby comes in March and Splatoon in June/July there's plenty of space for a big game in May.

Totally...desperate Nintendo is the best Nintendo. That direct was dope. In the end I never played Xenoblade X, waiting for a remaster to this day....XD
Respectfully disagree. They basically announced their road map for games, some far away, but I would rather not live through the Wii U again because regardless of what was announced there was no third party support there and still led to months of droughts

We've had amazing directs without Nintendo Being desperate and I've had plenty to play.

My common criticism of directs is there's a subset of fans who only grade the 1st party stuff and always demand the same 5 to 10 franchises be represented. It's unrealistic and if you think about it you cannot fill 6 to 7 (72 to 84 months) years worth of releases with that much repetition

My assessment is the Jan 2013 was that it was more SAD than awesome

When do you all think Xenoblade 3 will come out? (If the rumors are true) I've seen many people predicting that it'll be a q3 or q4 game, but earlier, like May, seems more logical to me, as some reports last year said that it was initially planned for 2021. So it should be pretty far along. Also, assuming that Kirby comes in March and Splatoon in June/July there's plenty of space for a big game in May.
I agree on the rough timeframe. Sometime between May and July, so summer. Of course it depends on when BOTW2 launches. If BOTW2 is in November, XB3 fits nicely in the middle of the year between it and PLA (three big, open games). I don’t see XB3 in December launching weeks after BOTW2, as one would eat into the other’s sales.

Now if BOTW2 is delayed to March 2023, then I would expect XB3 in late 2022.

Last edited:
Respectfully disagree. They basically announced their road map for games, some far away, but I would rather not live through the Wii U again because regardless of what was announced there was no third party support there and still led to months of droughts

We've had amazing directs without Nintendo Being desperate and I've had plenty to play.

My common criticism of directs is there's a subset of fans who only grade the 1st party stuff and always demand the same 5 to 10 franchises be represented. It's unrealistic and if you think about it you cannot fill 6 to 7 (72 to 84 months) years worth of releases with that much repetition

Fair enough. I only buy third-party stuff on PC(actually recently I've being buying on PS5, no money for a 30XX GPU...XD) so only Nintendo exclusive interests me on their direct.

Tbh I'm mostly interested on Mario and Zelda, but sometimes there is some other exclusive that catch my eyes.

Everybody knows that desperate Nintendo is actually worst Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom