• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't played either 3D World or Land but here's the rest

Odyssey > Galaxy = Galaxy 2 > Sunshine > 64

Do y'all think we'll see another Paper Mario game on Switch? Origami King sold pretty well (over three million in 8 months) and new entries come out every three years or so. A remaster of an old game could take even less time.

Yes I'm still thinking about Paper Mario.
It would presumably be due in 2024 (Sticker Star was 2012, Color Splash 2016, Origami King 2020).

Nate suggested Intelligent Systems are making a Fire Emblem title in-house for 2023, so that did make me question whether IntSys would have the resources to stick to the 4 year cycle for Paper Mario. Remastering an old title is an option, as is a Color Splash port - IntSys tend to have games out on an annual basis one way or another, so maybe by collaborating with EPD and making use of contractors they stick to a new game in 2024 anyway. They've got a good base to build from, given they've already done 2 on HD systems.

Well, let me get in on the fun!

Odyssey
Galaxy
Galaxy 2
3D World/Bowser's Fury
3D Land
Sunshine

I'll admit it has been over ten years since I played Galaxy 2. Kind of stubbornly waiting for that Switch port.

Really the main evidence for Nintendo still being willing to remaster TTYD in the current climate is that Superstar Saga and Bowser’s Inside Story were remade. A few character designs were simplified but for the most part they remained intact as they were.

Do y'all think we'll see another Paper Mario game on Switch? Origami King sold pretty well (over three million in 8 months) and new entries come out every three years or so. A remaster of an old game could take even less time.

Yes I'm still thinking about Paper Mario.
Paper Mario seems to be a one game per system franchise. If we get another Paper Mario for the OG Switch, it will probably be a port/remake of TTYD, Super, or Color Splash.

I mean if Intsys is supposedly putting a lot of resources into FE4 Remake for 2023 in addition to having a team working alongside Koei for this year's FE, I'd imagine the team working on a Paper Mario Remake would be relatively small if it was happening

As for the direct, I still think the 9th is most likely, with the 16th being a possibility as well. Its not happening outside of those 2 weeks imo, any later would be too close to both the Pokemon presents and the release date for Triangle Strategy,/Kirby which I feel they'd want to show off in a direct.

National Umbrella day (Feb 10th) would be a great day to announce a Switch Resident Evil.

And National Pizza day (Feb 9th) would be a great day to shadowdrop that TMNT game.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
National BBQ Day is May 16. Probably unrealistic to have Metroid Prime remaster announced in a February direct and released in May only because this likely is the Splatoon 3 spot. But the timing from announcement to release would be perfect. (Also a Monday but we can ignore the Friday release dates in this case).

The current state of Paper Mario comes down to two different factors:

1. Tanabe took over the franchise and insists that every PM game needs to have different mechanics.
2. As mentioned before, Nintendo is far more stricter about Mario's brand image than they were back in the N64/GCN era. This is why we'll never again get unique Goomba/Toad/Koopa/etc variations like Bombette, Admiral Bobbery, Koops, etc

The latter point is pretty obviously a universal thing for all Mario spinoffs now, you can see this in Mario Party Superstars, where the toads that had actual unique characteristics in the original N64 game were scrubbed out in favour of the usual mainline designs. So even if Tanabe backed off from PM or alternatively changed his mind about it not being an RPG anymore, it still wouldn't feel the same.
Hey going back to the (significantly better) 64/TTYD battle system would certainly be changing it up, at least for 1 entry :p

The Mario IP committee shit is definitely really annoying. But that's not an excuse for not getting creative, the mainline games have tons of unique races to pull from. Use stuff like the Woodles from Galaxy 2 or the New Donk humans from Odyssey, there's endless material. Sticking with the most generic Goombas/Koopas/Toads to populate the game is inexcusable, unless those basic set of characters are the boundaries themselves, which would be awful.

What would be funny/interesting/weeberific would be Nintendo doing a Fire Emblem double whammy to close the Direct. Tease the Holy War remake for 2023, followed by the new game for this summer.

People think they've escaped the anime swordsmen because there are no more Smash reveals; the Age of Smash is over. The time of the Weeb has come.

Oh hey, it's the Famiboards monthly 3D Mario rankings/discourse. Not that I'm complaining that we're talking Mario, but it definitely comes up a lot, lol.

...I'm pretty sure I have a post here ranking the 3D Mario games somewhere on the forum...

Anyway, I don't see a TTYD remake or port happening anytime soon, but if it did happen, yeah, I don't actually think it'd change that much. Honestly a straightforward HD remaster with higher quality textures would be a nice looking game still. Not Modern Paper Mario nice, but that's a different art style anyway.

Hey going back to the (significantly better) 64/TTYD battle system would certainly be changing it up, at least for 1 entry :p

The Mario IP committee shit is definitely really annoying. But that's not an excuse for not getting creative, the mainline games have tons of unique races to pull from. Use stuff like the Woodles from Galaxy 2 or the New Donk humans from Odyssey, there's endless material. Sticking with the most generic Goombas/Koopas/Toads to populate the game is inexcusable, unless those basic set of characters are the boundaries themselves, which would be awful.
I mean I think its just spinoffs that have to keep things fully standard Mario. Odyssey for example introduced a ton of new races that could be used in spinoffs, and maybe they will be after a bit more time has passed(The little skeletons from Tostarena, the Fork people, the spinning machines from the Wooded Kingdom, Pokios, etc)

I mean I think its just spinoffs that have to keep things fully standard Mario. Odyssey for example introduced a ton of new races that could be used in spinoffs, and maybe they will be after a bit more time has passed(The little skeletons from Tostarena, the Fork people, the spinning machines from the Wooded Kingdom, Pokios, etc)
Odyssey obviously ain't gonna be held back by mandates because it's a mainline game made by the mainline Mario team proper.

In other words, Nintendo themselves can define what Mario can be, and contractors like Intelligent Systems and Camelot have to abide by their law. Mario spinoffs used to be about the stuff that happens outside the mainline games, but now they've been violently converted into being about the mainline games.

Refusing to engage with the Mario rankings because no one is ready for my scorching hot 3D Mario opinion.

JK. I'll say it just for the chaos.

All 3D Mario games aside from Galaxy are very overrated. Odyssey and 64 are boring. Sunshine is bad. 3D World is fun sometimes, but Bowser's Fury was a slog.

Anyway, all aboard for February 9th CHOO CHOO

Refusing to engage with the Mario rankings because no one is ready for my scorching hot 3D Mario opinion.

All 3D Mario games aside from Galaxy are very overrated. Odyssey and 64 are boring. Sunshine is bad. 3D World is fun sometimes, but Bowser's Fury was a slog.

Just for that the Direct is delayed to March. And Odyssey 2 will be the only announcement.

"overrated" is the coward's criticism say what you really wanna say and say it with your chest or perish like a dog

I’ve long grown to dislike the word “overrated” in these forums.

It usually just comes down to “too many people like this that I don’t” every time. I’ve seen games that critically have a rather timid rating and they’re called overrated as well lol.

Refusing to engage with the Mario rankings because no one is ready for my SPOILER] JK. I'll say it just for the chaos.

All 3D Mario games aside from Galaxy are very overrated. Odyssey and 64 are boring. Sunshine is bad. 3D World is fun sometimes, but Bowser's Fury was a slog. [/SPOILER]

MOOOOOOODS!!!!!!!!!!
keep the chaos up, it makes things exciting.

I’ve long grown to dislike the word “overrated” in these forums.

It usually just comes down to “too many people like this that I don’t” every time. I’ve seen games that critically have a rather timid rating and they’re called overrated as well lol.
Sure, but we're talking about 3D Mario here. Some of the highest rated games ever.

Fine. Everyone step back, I don't want anyone's eyebrows to burn off:

64, 3D World/Bowser's Fury, and Odyssey are boring games that only get by because Mario is fun to control.
Honestly, it's the fact that Mario is fun to control combined with the levels and objectives...is what makes Mario fun, especially in 3D. I find it engaging to just play it.

I think that's why I bounced off of Banjo-Kazooie when I first played it. You can argue all day about the graphics being better and the worlds being more interesting and such, but for me it was less fun to actually play. I do want to give it a shot again but I wonder how other people feel there.

So you're not really wrong, but I value that a lot, and I think a lot of other people do too.

Fine. Everyone step back, I don't want anyone's eyebrows to burn off:

64, 3D World/Bowser's Fury, and Odyssey are boring games that only get by because Mario is fun to control.

"game is only reviewed highly because it's fun"

me:

face-melting-indiana-jones.gif

3D World > Sunshine > 3D Land > Odyssey > Galaxy > 64

My opinion on 64 might change once I replay it and get a 64 controller tho

I think it's a good thing that this community, despite being very Nintendo-focused, can have very differing opinions about Mario (the regular and Paper variety), Zelda etc.

At least we're all united in thinking that Star Fox should remain a rail shooter.

I think it's a good thing that this community, despite being very Nintendo-focused, can have very differing opinions about Mario (the regular and Paper variety), Zelda etc.

At least we're all united in thinking that Star Fox should remain a rail shooter.
I think Star Fox should be a stealth action game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom