• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't decide what month I would put a theoretical Super Mario Strikers Switch in. The classic Summer release? Or in the Winter before the World Cup?

Though I don't know where I'd find the time for them, I want the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters to come to Switch, and Mistwalker's Fantasian. I'll take the Mass Effect trilogy on Switch, too, but now it's on Game Pass Ultimate it's less of a priority.

In non RPG third party games, I'd really like to hear more about Metal Slug Tactics and ummmm that's it right now off the top of my head?

That's just more reason as to why we need a Direct soon: so I can learn about some games which aren't RPGs.
Lol exactly. But thinking about it… third party games this year we know off;

Assassin’s Creed Ezio Collection
Triangle Strategy
Chocobo’s Racing
Rune Factory 5
Life is Strange Remastered
Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Metal Slug Tactics
Hack.//G.U. Last Recode
Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga
13 Sentinels Aegis Rim
Lord of the Rings Gollum
Sonic Frontiers

Feels light.

I will once again reiterate that all the crumbs lead to Mario Baseball Switch coming ya'll.

I'm not asking you to like or be excited by that prospect, just to be prepared.

I will once again reiterate that all the crumbs lead to Mario Baseball Switch coming ya'll.

I would absolutely love that, those games are a blast.

What crumbs are you referring to?

Super Sluggers roster demolishes any MK roster besides maybe tour, as well as all other Mario spinoffs

Triangle Strategy
Chocobo’s Racing
Rune Factory 5
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Metal Slug Tactics
Hack.//G.U. Last Recode
13 Sentinels Aegis Rim
Lord of the Rings Gollum
Sonic Frontiers

Feels light.

Don't forget Marvel's Midnight Suns. Feels like it's almost time for an Ultimate Alliance 4 as well tbh.

Triangle Strategy
Chocobo’s Racing
Rune Factory 5
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Metal Slug Tactics
Hack.//G.U. Last Recode
13 Sentinels Aegis Rim
Lord of the Rings Gollum
Sonic Frontiers

Feels light.
You missed Evil Dead and the 2 Cloud games (Dying Light and a Plague Tale). We also had ratings for Alan Wake and Remnant: from the ashes.

I would absolutely love that, those games are a blast.

What crumbs are you referring to?
To be honest it's kind of dumb lol. But bear with me for a moment. It mostly has to do with Nintendo's Japanese Mario site, and this is what I wrote about it before:

Look, go onto Nintendo's Japanese Mario website. Scroll down to where it says Mario Plays.. Are you there? So which four game series they feel like plugging? Kart, Tennis, Golf, and wait who is that? Oh it's just Baseball.

Okay well that's random chance. Sure. Now go down to the Character page. You can see the Mario cast here. Now click that yellow rectangle to see some alt looks. Oh hey, three of 'em play baseball now lol. Odd. Not even one golf alt. No soccer anywhere. Got 150 different character renders for everybody to choose from and yet three of them get baseball themed ones. huh.

Sure it's conspiracy, but it does make sense that they keep putting out Mario Sports titles on Switch. Ya'll see how they sell. They are the definition of a dependable million seller. They do just exactly what Nintendo needs them to.

For those who caught this the first time around, I actually got curious and used the Wayback machine to find that before the Switch launched, the site listed even more Sports that Mario Plays: Basketball, Snowboarding, Soccer.(you need to scroll down to find it, but it's there) Yet when they relaunched the Mario site for the Switch era, only Kart, Golf, Tennis, and Baseball remained.

Maybe it's nothing tho. 🤔

Don't forget Marvel's Midnight Suns. Feels like it's almost time for an Ultimate Alliance 4 as well tbh.
I almost forgot about that one! Want to play it too.

You missed Evil Dead and the 2 Cloud games (Dying Light and a Plague Tale). We also had ratings for Alan Wake and Remnant: from the ashes.
Oh yeah. There’s also KIngdom Hearts Cloud Edition lol.

Triangle Strategy
Chocobo’s Racing
Rune Factory 5
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Metal Slug Tactics
Hack.//G.U. Last Recode
13 Sentinels Aegis Rim
Lord of the Rings Gollum
Sonic Frontiers

Feels light.
Oooh, a third party lineup list. Here, let me complete it for you:

Kingdom Come Deliverance
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
Marvel Midnight Suns
Digimon Survive
Shadowrun Trilogy
Wreckfest
Two Point Campus
Atelier Sophie 2
The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Zero
nirvanA Initiative
Monark
Crystar
Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires

Triangle Strategy
Chocobo’s Racing
Rune Factory 5
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Metal Slug Tactics
Hack.//G.U. Last Recode
13 Sentinels Aegis Rim
Lord of the Rings Gollum
Sonic Frontiers

Feels light.

Agreed. I think part of the issue is still COVID. Looking at the rest of the gaming calendar, there is hardly anything officially dated past March. A lot of publishers are still holding things close to the vest (hopefully).

Since Grasshopper has the rights to Shadows of the Damned back from EA I'd be shocked if that doesn't show up in a Direct montage at some point this year. There's also that tweet about a potential port/remaster for Lollipop Chainsaw.

I cant believe you are missing Mario + Rabbids Spark of hope ;)

A couple of other third party with 2022 date I'm very interested in:

Shredders Revenge
Song of Nunu: A League of Legends Story
Fall: Changing Tides
Sacrifire
Sea of Stars
Pocky & Rocky Reshrined
AI the Somnium Files: NirvanA Initiative
Cuphead: Delicious Last Course (will probably be like a full new game)

In terms of third party software, there's actually a lot of stuff I am interested in and there's obviously a lot more coming up yet to be revealed.

There's Enigma Archives: Rain Code from Danganronpa creators with no target platforms attached but I'm praying that Switch to be one. Hope SC wouldn't make a mistake like skipping Switch for a game whose genre's home is Switch.
Since Grasshopper has the rights to Shadows of the Damned back from EA I'd be shocked if that doesn't show up in a Direct montage at some point this year. There's also that tweet about a potential port/remaster for Lollipop Chainsaw.
Not sure if I trust Suda on this one. Could come up and say a cliche bullshit like "Nintendo audience loves retro shit so they get NMH and nothing more". Lately many games that makes the most sense on Switch have been skipping Switch, so I'll always have doubts.

I only got todays word so quickly because I’ve been reading a certain piece of literature that the word is featured heavily in.

Not sure if I trust Suda on this one. Could come up and say a cliche bullshit like "Nintendo audience loves retro shit so they get NMH and nothing more". Lately many games that makes the most sense on Switch have been skipping Switch, so I'll always have doubts.

I'd trust Suda more than anyone else IMO. There's zero chance that a hypothetical Shadows of the Damned port skips Switch. Same with Lollipop Chainsaw.

I'd trust Suda more than anyone else IMO. There's zero chance that a hypothetical Shadows of the Damned port skips Switch. Same with Lollipop Chainsaw.
If both hit Switch, then Killer is Dead is also definitely coming to Switch. And that's the one I want to play most. Played a couple of hours on PS3 and I absolutely loved what I played. I wanna finish it.

When it comes to Enigma Archives I'm not 100% sure it comes to Switch. More like 75%.

Also, can Japanese developers stop announcing games without platforms attached.

Alright, Team January, this week is historically your best chance. Do we get a January 20th Direct or does Nintendo break new ground and air one in the last week of January? We shall see...

There's another bit of crumb abt a Mario sports game...from a past friend of the old place. A Mario sports game developed by Bandai namco.

I wanna add some third party games..... Fall Guys (hope it doesn't disappear) and MLB The Show could be ready since it missed last year.

To be honest it's kind of dumb lol. But bear with me for a moment. It mostly has to do with Nintendo's Japanese Mario site, and this is what I wrote about it before:

Look, go onto Nintendo's Japanese Mario website. Scroll down to where it says Mario Plays.. Are you there? So which four game series they feel like plugging? Kart, Tennis, Golf, and wait who is that? Oh it's just Baseball.

Okay well that's random chance. Sure. Now go down to the Character page. You can see the Mario cast here. Now click that yellow rectangle to see some alt looks. Oh hey, three of 'em play baseball now lol. Odd. Not even one golf alt. No soccer anywhere. Got 150 different character renders for everybody to choose from and yet three of them get baseball themed ones. huh.

Sure it's conspiracy, but it does make sense that they keep putting out Mario Sports titles on Switch. Ya'll see how they sell. They are the definition of a dependable million seller. They do just exactly what Nintendo needs them to.

For those who caught this the first time around, I actually got curious and used the Wayback machine to find that before the Switch launched, the site listed even more Sports that Mario Plays: Basketball, Snowboarding, Soccer.(you need to scroll down to find it, but it's there) Yet when they relaunched the Mario site for the Switch era, only Kart, Golf, Tennis, and Baseball remained.

That’s a cool find. Could be nothing. Either way, I would love another Mario baseball game. I believe that baseball is still the most popular sport in Japan so it’s probably on the shortlist of Mario sports games for sure.

This is definitely intriguing. Who made the last Mario baseball game? Square-Enix?

Yeah, I could see Nintendo getting Bamco to make another Mario Baseball. Don't know if they want it a year after Golf, but I could think of weirder timings.

I'm not expecting Strikers. If we do get a Mario soccer game, it's gonna be radically different than the edgier Strikers brand. Something a lot safer and more traditionally Mario-y. Maybe they'll still get Bamco to develop it - wouldn't be their first Mario soccer game.

Yeah the thinking is Bandai Namco would be handling Mario Baseball, that's why I think it makes more sense than another game from NdCube, Camelot, Intelligent Systems, or Next Level games so soon.

My other red hot theory that is totally unrelated to Mario, is that Resident Evil Revelations 3 is real of course, but also totally a TOSE game, and so no insiders will ever have any scoops about it.

I have no crumbs for that one tho lol.

so june for mario baseball is a lock then

in the covid-affected absence of interesting rumors we have created our own, and I wholeheartedly approve

All this Mario sports talk reminded me of a theory I had not too long ago. There isn’t much substance to it but hear me out:

Everybody’s Stinker Horseperson 2 is a sequel to Mario Sports Mix or Mario Sports Superstars.

The evidence:
  • This hypothetical game would have horse racing, like Mario Sports Superstars before it.
  • Both Sports Mix and Superstars received mixed critical reception, primarily due to a lack of depth or substance, as is common for casual games.
At the time, I thought this was pretty compelling evidence, but there are plenty of holes in this theory:
  • Where does the word “Everybody” fit in the title of a Mario sports game?
  • Multiple people on this forum have already guessed what the game is, and I don’t think anyone has said Mario Sports Mix 2.
TL;DR this isn’t a particularly strong theory, and I don’t actually think it’ll happen, but I just thought it was interesting, and I really want another Mario Sports Mix.

The first droplet of info we got for horse game being “everyone internally lowkey thinks it’s shit” is kinda unprecedented. Feel bad for any of the devs who may have caught wind of the discussion lol, it’ll be interesting to Fami’s impressions when it’s revealed and released considering we already have a negative bias against it

Can't wait to put 500 hours into Mario Baseball and then switch between that and Super Mega Baseball 3, a game I already have 500 hours in.

As long as companies do the normal shows this time instead of dripfeading like in 2020, I'm okay with E3 not being a thing anymore. Last years event was awful. Have Microsoft/Bethesda, Sony, and Nintendo do their own showcases as per usual, but Ubisoft/EA/Square are better off not having their own stuff.

All this Mario sports talk reminded me of a theory I had not too long ago. There isn’t much substance to it but hear me out:

Everybody’s Stinker Horseperson 2 is a sequel to Mario Sports Mix or Mario Sports Superstars.

The evidence:
  • This hypothetical game would have horse racing, like Mario Sports Superstars before it.
  • Both Sports Mix and Superstars received mixed critical reception, primarily due to a lack of depth or substance, as is common for casual games.
At the time, I thought this was pretty compelling evidence, but there are plenty of holes in this theory:
  • Where does the word “Everybody” fit in the title of a Mario sports game?
  • Multiple people on this forum have already guessed what the game is, and I don’t think anyone has said Mario Sports Mix 2.
TL;DR this isn’t a particularly strong theory, and I don’t actually think it’ll happen, but I just thought it was interesting, and I really want another Mario Sports Mix.
The thing is, people would be happy to give another Mario sports compilation a chance, even if they don't expect it to be good. This rumored game sounds like when it's announced, no one is going to believe in it or understand why it was made.

One thing I've hated about E3 the past half decade is the "pre-announcement announcements" from third party companies. Like they're so afraid their games are going to be lost in the noise that they have to pre-maturely reveal the announcement ahead of time weeks before E3. It just actively makes those already weak 3rd party conferences like EA and Ubisoft even weaker because it basically feels like a checklist of what they're going to show based on what they've already spoiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom