• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase announced for June 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Post
After months of hype, speculation, and discussion, the June Direct has finally been announced, and it may not be what everyone was expecting, or hoping for.

Regardless, let's please aim to keep things civil: being disappointed is completely valid and understandable, but so is remaining optimistic about this presentation, and what the future holds. It'd be best to keep the gloating about having been "right" to a minimum, in addition to any dunking on folks for their perspectives, whether positive, or negative. Being too much of a downer about things also isn't ideal, as those types of exaggerated, "in the moment" reactions may eventually prove regrettable.

As always, if you feel yourself becoming too invested, temporarily disengaging from the thread could prove fruitful.

The doom and gloom in this thread give me life.

Looking forward to Dragon Quest Treasures.

Kinda wonder if we may get a Fire Emblem specific direct sometime over the next 12 months. I remember the one in February 2017 or so, it was really cool. We got Echoes Shadows of Valentia, the first confirmation of an eventual switch game (three houses), and Fire Emblem Heroes info... Maybe they talked about Warriors, but I forget.
Another Fire Emblem direct like that would be my dream, but it feels unlikely to me.

They had SoV, Heroes and Warriors to present at the same time. FE Switch was just an "it'll exist eventually", probably just announced to deflect some potential criticism about SoV being a 3ds game instead of a Switch game. None of these games competed with the other.

A new mainline Fire Emblem and a remake on the same platform closeby could though. I do believe (and very much hope) that we could get one in early 2023 and the other in late 2023, but I really doubt they'll present both at the same time. A single game Fire Emblem direct (like the Xenoblade 3 we just got) is very possible though.

Nier Automata in Switch would immediately be the most immersive version not allowing to manually backup saves lol.

I hope this turns out to be a weeb direct
2x
Surely directs are weeb fodder by definition :D

I can understand if other people don't get very excited about these, but being the Nintendo Switch my primary console, a Direct including Persona(s), NieR, a tease for M+R the next day, and any other surprise from usual partners, and maybe something from Capcom?, would be right my alley.

It has to be depressing to develop third party games for Switch and then to read the reaction

I suspect that the third party developers that have seen success on the Switch over the past 5 years have gotten used to this and learned not to read these reactions.

Jeff Grubb is my only hope.

About that third party late ports conversation... Of course it's nice to have them on Switch, that's always good news. But people who were really interested in those games already played them, so it's understandable to want new games.

I can understand if other people don't get very excited about these, but being the Nintendo Switch my primary console, a Direct including Persona(s), NieR, a tease for M+R the next day, and any other surprise from usual partners, and maybe something from Capcom?, would be right my alley.
Same, these usually have multiple reveals and several exclusives too. Can’t rule out NSO stuff either

Yeah, cloud versions don't get rated for the new platform, they're basically PC games streamed elsewhere. Square probably expected Nintendo to foot the bill like MS and Epic did, when they refused they picked the cheapest route.
Don’t count out a cloud version just because of licensing costs. Cheap and easy would be what SE decides if it is the cloud.

I am glad that we knew beforehand that it's going to be a Partner showcase. I cooled down and accepted the Direct.

I suspect that the third party developers that have seen success on the Switch over the past 5 years have gotten used to this and learned not to read these reactions.
Yeah, they are eating well, but it has to be depressing. I think the same about indies when they announce their games and people only want to know about Silksong.

I don't get why we would se Bayonetta 3 there, isn't it by Nintendo?

Also if I would wish a 3rd Party Game, then it would be a "2D-HD" Remake of Secret of Mana...
Every time they were talking about Bayonetta in a direct they always mentioned PlatinumGames to some extend. I feel like this is one of those games which they can frame it easily as a Partners. I mean they did it with Hyrule Warriors which even has a major Nintendo IP and they could possibly do it with Sparks of Hope.

I hope this turns out to be a weeb direct
2x
I was gonna have a snarky reply for this, but I’ll be honest for a second instead

It sure fees like there’s been a ton of “weeb” content and focus lately from Nintendo (Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, etc) and not as much “non weeb” stuff. As someone who isn’t in to that kinda thing, it feels like I’m being left out by Nintendo and that kinda sucks.

I’d be happy with a selection from-

a brief final couple of teaser nuggets on Sunbreak, just a minute or two.
Dragon Quest Treasures
Front Mission One
Hollow Knight: SilkSong
Something something Persona
Something new we haven’t heard of already
A port of a third party PS4 game.
Tactics Ogre/FFT

It has to be depressing to develop third party games for Switch and then to read the reaction
I dont blame people, i bought my switch
For nintendo games. I have other platforms for third parties that are multiplatform. I think there are quite a few other people in the same boat. I dont think anyone is wrong though. For people whose primary platform is switch, i totally get the excitement, and i understand why its frustrating to see that others dont share it. For people who have other platforms and keep their switch mostly for nintendo games, and the occasional third party exclusive, these presentations tend to take the wind out of our sales.

yeah, this might be fueling people's idea that Nintendo fans just don't care about third party games on switch and are only truly interested in first party nintendo games.

Considering Crisis Core (a Square side game that while not AAA is not just a HD version) is coming to Switch, it seems SE is setting up to become a big supporter of Nintendo hardware in the future both the Square and Enix side.
SE is so weird, back in the DS days they were one of the biggest supporters of the system. However that all dried up when the 3DS came around and their self-published games slowed considerably with Nintendo having to step in for the Bravely games and Dragon Quest. Now they are all-in with the AA support on the Switch.
Exactly what I expected. 3rd party ports from 4-6 years ago (with worse framerate for sure) lol. I feel bad for people that actually uses switch as their main console for 3rd party games, which i expect isn't a lot. And is why so many people aren't interested in these 3rd party directs lol
You can't be anymore the stereotype of the self-centered gamer if you tried.

puts tinfoil hat on

We are getting a Partner Showcase because BotW2 is being delayed again to next fall and they had to cancel their intended big blowout for the game during E3 time this year.

I’m very excited at the possibility of persona and FF pixel remasters ports being announced. But if this ends up being lackluster and those games not being there then it’s gonna be a big “oooooooofff” from me. I think (personally) DQ3HD is too big for a “partner showcase” so I am not expecting it there. The DQ creators love hosting their own streams.

After months of hype, speculation, and discussion, the June Direct has finally been announced, and it may not be what everyone was expecting, or hoping for.

Regardless, let's please aim to keep things civil: being disappointed is completely valid and understandable, but so is remaining optimistic about this presentation, and what the future holds. It'd be best to keep the gloating about having been "right" to a minimum, in addition to any dunking on folks for their perspectives, whether positive, or negative. Being too much of a downer about things also isn't ideal, as those types of exaggerated, "in the moment" reactions may eventually prove regrettable.

As always, if you feel yourself becoming too invested, temporarily disengaging from the thread could prove fruitful.
First off, well said.

Second– something about this being in green and your avatar being a frog made me think I was able to read frog for half a second

coffee really isn't hitting yet this morning lol

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Special Edition with a life-size statue of the cast of Final Fantasy 6 as a physical preorder bonus or Directs are dead to me

Jeff Grubb is my only hope.

About that third party late ports conversation... Of course it's nice to have them on Switch, that's always good news. But people who were really interested in those games already played them, so it's understandable to want new games.
I feel like people overestimate how much others are willing to get a whole other console to play a game. Or people who might not be interested in a game on a stationary console but would be if the game was portable

Like, I'm really interested in Persona 5 R, and have been for a while, but I haven't played it yet since

A. Never got a PS4 and couldn't grab a PS5

B. I'd have never finished a game like that on a stationary console anyways

When you wake up hyped for a snow day, but it's just some slush that's accumulated on the the curb...

Oh well. Maybe Silksong news? 🤡

You should ask Nintendo why they do consider it first party.

It doesn't matter that Sega owns Bayonetta the IP, at least not to Nintendo. Whether it's featured in a Partner Direct is a different discussion entirely.
The initial post you responded to was me implying it could be here because it's not a Nintendo IP so it's actually this exact discussion lol

Publishing and owning an intellectual property are two very different subjects.

You mean Alanah Pearce.
Nope. Wrong.

MNate specifically said June 28th when everybody else said 29th.

It wasn't until everyone else started saying the 29th that he started pointing out that time zones could be the reason for the discrepency.

Turns out everybody else just got it wrong.

First off, well said.

Second– something about this being in green and your avatar being a frog made me think I was able to read frog for half a second

coffee really isn't hitting yet this morning lol
Absolutely love this 🐸

Honestly the craziest part of this announcement for me is the people who think this is a sign that Nintendo is beginning to "wind down" the Switch and get ready for the successor in 2023. Think about how many exclusive games coming out this year we didn't even know about (officially) at the start of this year.

Xenoblade 3
Pokemon Gen 9
Mario Strikers Battle League
Switch Sports
Live a Live
Fire Emblem 3 Hopes

We also didn't know about the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe dlc, and quiet a few 3rd party games that have been day 1 on Switch like Chrono Cross Remaster and Klonoa Remaster.

People acting like this is 2016 Nintendo here.

puts tinfoil hat on

We are getting a Partner Showcase because BotW2 is being delayed again to next fall and they had to cancel their intended big blowout for the game during E3 time this year.

I’m very excited at the possibility of persona and FF pixel remasters ports being announced. But if this ends up being lackluster and those games not being there then it’s gonna be a big “oooooooofff” from me. I think (personally) DQ3HD is too big for a “partner showcase” so I am not expecting it there. The DQ creators love hosting their own streams.

If BOTW2 gets delayed again then just save it for Switch Pro or 2 (if they aren't already doing that).

Though I seriously doubt they will delay it again.

Nope. Wrong.

Mate specifically said June 28th when everybody else said 29th.

It wasn't until everyone else started saying the 29th that he started pointing out that time zones could be the reason for the discrepency.

Turns out everybody else just got it wrong.
Mate the Nate

Best case scenario:

Persona 3/4/5
Batman Arkham Collection
Nier Automata
Portal Collection shadowdrop
FF pixel remasters
Tactics Ogre/FF Tactics
Silksong
Crisis Core
An exclusive third-party game

That would be an awesome presentation, if you ask me...

It unfortunately does add fuel to the 'Nintendo fans are only interested in Nintendo games' stereotype.
I think Nintendo fans will buy third party games, but not many will be excited about late downports.

What fans want are high quality on time games made with the Switch in mind. Like Monster Hunter Rise.

Best case scenario:

Persona 3/4/5
Batman Arkham Collection
Nier Automata
Portal Collection shadowdrop
FF pixel remasters
Tactics Ogre/FF Tactics
Silksong
Crisis Core
An exclusive third-party game

That would be an awesome presentation, if you ask me...
Yeah this cold be really good. Portal, Persona, M + R, Crisis Core would already make it the best for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom