• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
you can tell this was nintendos first time doing something like this for mk on this scale, its jank, confusing and with some really questioable picks. but if that means mario kart 10 will have better implemted dlc like this im fine with it. imo we will start with 32 tracks get a monthly cup for a couple years with the next mk i just dont see how after 52mil copies sold mario kart doesn't become their most ambitious title in terms of budget scope and dev time and team size. this game feels very much like the smash 4 to smash ultimate if i were to put it one way. maybe the next game will have every track hehe.

also i really doubt in a bcp2, however new character dlc would not be surprsing at all, there are still enough relevant newcomers for a new row. lets say assuming diddy and pauline are the last two we get.

Funky, Dixie, King Bob-omb, Hammer Bro, Nabbit, Chargin Chuck, Monty Mole and Poochy.

which is basically everyone of note left in tour iirc.

i could see it happening since it reuses and immortalizes chaarcters form a game that will get shut down, jsut like they ported tracks so you cna play vancouver 20 years in the future as long as you have a game with dlc, same goes for king bob omb or whatever, alts are still alts in the end so them going away forever isnt a big loss.

Tour is secretly Super Circuit Deluxe /s
But it’s amazing how many tracks they brought back from GBA and breathed new life into them (for better or for worse).

you can tell this was nintendos first time doing something like this for mk on this scale, its jank, confusing and with some really questioable picks.
I think most of BCP issues can be traced down to it being a sort of Switch port of Mario Kart Tour. What worked in the context of Tour didn't necessarily worked within Mario Kart 8.

Most of the best courses we got where the new ones, which I believed where for the most part made with Mario Kart 8 in mind to begin with.

I've seen people say that there were no ID gaps open before another birthday and then there was an update, but I have my doubts about this information. Is that true?

Last edited:
I still don't really know how the ID stuff works, but Tour winding down soon would be a bit weird when Namco still has contract job listings for new content/models. Unless they just forgot to remove them.

Wave 5 Poll + Wave 4 Poll Results
A couple of days late on this one, but with Wave 5 now released, we have an updated poll for the new courses. Pick your favorite and we'll see how it goes before Wave 6 is released!

As for Wave 4, Yoshi's Island was unsurprisingly the clear favorite. Still one of my favorite courses in the Booster Course Pass, myself!

Screenshot-2023-07-18-at-11-08-04-PM.png

I've seen people say that there were no ID gaps open before another birthday and then there was an update, but I have my doubts about this information. Is that true?
This is true. There have been no new ID gaps for months. There is just enough content until the 4th anniversary tour. While not confirmed it does look like Tour is wrapping up adding new content after September.

it's technically possible that there's a huge update waiting in the wings for after the anniversary and they're just cracking down on letting stuff leak after all the surprises for the BCP came out over a year in advance

highly unlikely, but still greater than zero?

This is true. There have been no new ID gaps for months. There is just enough content until the 4th anniversary tour. While not confirmed it does look like Tour is wrapping up adding new content after September.
Yes, I'm not talking about what's happening now :)
My question was whether something like this had happened before another anniversary, because I've seen people say it has.

I still don't really know how the ID stuff works, but Tour winding down soon would be a bit weird when Namco still has contract job listings for new content/models. Unless they just forgot to remove them.

I have thought about that, and i’m not totally sure how to square that away with what the game itself is currently suggesting, so i’m leaning towards the latter option for now, lol.

Just so everyone is on the same page I may as well go over everything known, all in one post. End of service for Tour is not expected anytime soon; what is instead expected is the recycle of the past year of Tours (or some curated selection from the game’s life thus far) to run on loop with minimal new content for the foreseeable future. There’s a few reasons why this is the expected outcome:
  • Tours, Courses, Drivers and Balloons (used in Battle Mode, for those unfamiliar with Tour) are tracked internally using numbered ID systems, and there has been a very limited quantity of each remaining with no updates since April. We are able to determine the remaining content through gaps in the numbering system (for courses, which are sorted alphabetically) and the minimal present variables for other unreleased items (such as rarity for drivers). At Tour’s current pace, all of the currently prepared content of these types should be released by the 4th Anniversary Tour.
  • Interactable objects on courses also need to be added through version updates rather than in-app data download; and there aren’t many of these that are currently going unused either. For reference, objects for Yoshi’s Island and Athens were added to Tour in March 2022; and objects for Squeaky Clean Sprint and Piranha Plant Pipeline appeared in July 2022. They have been prepared well ahead of time the entirely of Tour’s life until now, which should imply (alongside the dwindling number of ID gaps) no more new courses are coming past September.
  • Karts, Gliders and Badges on the other hand still have plenty of prepared IDs in reserve. Going forward these could continue to be issued within the rerun loop without much issues; as a lot of what remains for the former two groups appear to be variants regardless.
  • The last prepared Tour in sequence, Season116, is where the Anniversary Tour should fall this year; which contributes to it being the expected cut-off point. There is another unreleased Tour with data present though, Season128, which would hypothetically fall in February 2024, in close vicinity to Mar10. There’s not really any consensus on where this falls into the rerun speculation, but it is one of the few hints of content that could be released past September.
  • Based on ID increases, it is expected that all but two courses will have their variants released by or in the Anniversary Tour. The remaining two are 3DS Rock Rock Mountain R/T and GBA Bowser’s Castle 3 T and R/T; which don’t appear to have the necessary IDs to be ready for release, and could simply remain unused.
    • In the past year Tour has mostly switched from separating R/T releases from the other variants, to releasing all four variants at once. This move in conjunction with rounding up remaining the stragglers in the coming Tours is yet another sign of new courses in particular wrapping up.
  • A major reason of why a rerun in particular is expected, is that last year Team Rally Tours were revamped behind the scenes in such a way that allows for simpler reruns. There are only two predetermined Team Rally types (Mario Vs Luigi and Peach vs Bowser), and in the past year of Tour we have only seen these two themes used; easy to recycle when called for.
  • Alongside the aforementioned change in R/T release strategy and the Team Rally changes, Tour’s cup system was also revamped from 12 to 15 cups. With the hypothetical of a revamp in mind, this may have been done not only to fit battle mode courses into each Tour, but also to fit more regular courses and variants per Tour in order to ensure all courses return or appear within the time period set to be recycled.
One way or another, Tour’s direction is going to shift come the 4th Anniversary. Recently references to time trial ghosts were added; which from an optimistic view could be a sign of life, but from another angle is a feature that doesn’t make much sense for Tour’s current content distribution, and may make more sense if the game’s content is soon to become standardized.

There’s always a slim chance that things suddenly turn around and new content continues on, but you’d be ignoring the warning signs suggesting otherwise to expect that outcome.

Unfortunately, a BCP2 is most likely not happening. Tour is running out of content with no more in the pipeline, and the Switch 2 is coming next year so development is probably focused on Mario Kart 10.
I keep hearing people say Tour is running out of content. Could someone explain to me why it's unlikely nintendo would just patch Tour to add room for more tracks?

EDIT: Nvm I see Mondo's post now

Hard disagree on that first part

That glider ramp in Koopa cape was a completely stupid addition in MK7 and I'm glad the BCP devs finally removed it. Huge improvement.
You're supposed to be driving in the river current, not gliding over it. That's like gliding over a ton of cars in a traffic course. It's stupid and defeats the point of that section.

I agree with this version of the course feeling a little small but it's only a little small and I'd rather have this than an overscaled version.
Super late reply but in retrospect I agree that it isn't really necessary, though I still would have preferred it be an option (maybe reuse the 3DS Toad Circuit lap 2/3 glider ramp like they did on Merry Mountain).

Super late reply but in retrospect I agree that it isn't really necessary, though I still would have preferred it be an option (maybe reuse the 3DS Toad Circuit lap 2/3 glider ramp like they did on Merry Mountain).
The ramp works when Koopa Cape is a larger track, but given how small it is in MK8D compared to Wii and 7, I don't think it would've worked very well. There just isn't much room, so forcing everyone down onto the same playing field was the right choice in this situation.

I don't think the glider section was a bad addition in MK7 though, I quite liked it.

Holy shit Lakeside Park is amazing. And I know this has been said a lot these past few months, but I really wish this was in the BCP now instead of Riverside/Sunset Wilds.

Cool to play Lakeside Park finally in Tour.

Tour's news feed said this is the first part of a 3 Tour summer event. So the next 2 Tour's will be featuring Squeaky Clean Sprint and most likely a repeat of Sky High Sundae.

That leads us into September which should have the final Tour for a new city (Madrid) followed by the 4th anniversary Tour.

It's so incredibly boring we know all the final tracks now barring a big swerve from Nintendo TBH. And especially frustrating at how much is still left behind in Tour. Not to mention, we've had like decent quality new tracks debuting in each wave of the Booster Course and seemingly Wave 6 will not have that and go out with the whimper of "Here's your Wii Rainbow Road!".

And like it's a good classic Rainbow Road... but it's never been my absolute favorite and the 3DS one blew Wii completely out of the water too. It feels like a bit of a lackluster finale when Yoshi's Island and Squeaky Clean have been the marquees of the last two.

It's so incredibly boring we know all the final tracks now barring a big swerve from Nintendo TBH. And especially frustrating at how much is still left behind in Tour. Not to mention, we've had like decent quality new tracks debuting in each wave of the Booster Course and seemingly Wave 6 will not have that and go out with the whimper of "Here's your Wii Rainbow Road!".

And like it's a good classic Rainbow Road... but it's never been my absolute favorite and the 3DS one blew Wii completely out of the water too. It feels like a bit of a lackluster finale when Yoshi's Island and Squeaky Clean have been the marquees of the last two.

The lackluster city tracks should have never been added, other retro tracks should have been in those spots.

A couple of days late on this one, but with Wave 5 now released, we have an updated poll for the new courses. Pick your favorite and we'll see how it goes before Wave 6 is released!

As for Wave 4, Yoshi's Island was unsurprisingly the clear favorite. Still one of my favorite courses in the Booster Course Pass, myself!

Screenshot-2023-07-18-at-11-08-04-PM.png

Landslide victory

We don't know the last retro track at least. GCN Mushroom Bridge makes no sense for Wave 6, especially since we just got a more complicated traffic course in the last Wave. It can be anything.

The lackluster city tracks should have never been added, other retro tracks should have been in those spots.
Without the city courses, the DLC wouldn't exist. It's meant to give the Tour tracks a permanent home.

If there were no city tracks, they should’ve just put all the resources towards the next game. Even if I don’t love them, I’d much rather have the city tracks than tracks I’ve played countless times already.

we've had like decent quality new tracks debuting in each wave of the Booster Course and seemingly Wave 6 will not have that and go out with the whimper of "Here's your Wii Rainbow Road!".
Two new tracks + likely two fantastic retros in DK Mountain + Wii Rainbow Road has me very excited for wave 6. More so than wave 5, in any case.

I don't agree with this take. It's important to preserve at least one unique version of every track in MK. Yea ideally all the unique variants in Tour would be officially ported (they're all being unofficially ported to mk wii thanks to modders), but getting all the new city/nitros into non mobile games is great.

I think Lakeside looks great and I would love to have it in the BCP, but I think its chances are lower than ever now. Not only does it conflict with DKM, but it didn't even get updated music.

I love how in the dark we are for that final Wave 6 track. Keeping the speculation fun until the very last minute!

After thinking about it quite a bit, I think it comes down to these seven tracks:

1. Mushroom Bridge: Obviously the most likely. Was probably the planned Wave 5 track. Would be so strange coming after Moonview though.

2. Dino Dino Jungle: The only other Tour GCN option that wouldn't "break" the datamine in some way. There were those signs in CM and SCS (which probably mean nothing). Would fit Wave 6 better than MB, but conflicts with DKM both thematically and musically.

3. Rosalina's Ice World: If the fourth GCN track is scrapped and replaced with a retro, I think this is the most likely option. It's a special cup track which would fit Wave 6, it would be the only winter track of the wave (especially fitting since Wave 6 will come in Nov/Dec), and every character who has a track themed after them currently has at least one such track in MK8... except Rosalina. (Yes, I know Luigi's is a battle course.)

4. Airship Fortress: Would clash somewhat with SNES BC3, unless they go back to the purple aesthetic. Would definitely be the #1 course they could add that would get the most people the most hyped.

5. Dry Dry Ruins: I know some people think Yoshi Desert is more likely, but the BCP has been very Wii heavy, and that clearly isn't stopping with Wii RR and DKM all but locked for Wave 6. I think this is the #2 track that would get people hyped (after AF). The BCP is also missing an Egyptian themed desert.

6. Daisy Circuit: Again, the BCP has been very Wii heavy. This would also explain Moonview getting moved up to Wave 5, as they wouldn't have wanted Daisy Cruiser and Daisy Circuit in the same wave. Would look stunning if it got a solid graphical upgrade a la Riverside.

7. Bowser's Castle 4: The most elaborate Tour remake that (probably) won't be coming to the BCP. If SNES BC3 had been in Wave 5, I'd have this as the #1 most likely surprise track for Wave 6, but I just can't see them putting both BCs in the same wave when there was no reason for it.

Other possibilities: A new Tour track that was unable to be datamined, a non-Tour retro (Wario Colosseum!?), or a brand new Switch exclusive. I think all of these are extremely unlikely, but you never know!

Umm

We're getting TWO non-city nitro tracks. Yes they're not "new" in the literal sense but they're still original ones like Yoshi's Island, SCS, etc. and there's two of them now. Makes up for no BCP-debut course.

Also considering how mediocre the 3DS Rainbow Road remake is, I'm looking forward to an actual good Rainbow Road remake in the BCP. Wii RR was made with the BCP in mind and it's so obvious.

We're also FINALLY getting a retro Bowser Castle. After a decade

Don't forget about the remaining characters as well.

Even without a brand-new track wave 6 is still far more exciting than wave 5 was

I do agree that speculation is stale now and quite frankly I'm glad Tour is ending content soon and wave 6 is the last wave. I'm ready to hop off the BCP hype train and I really want the team to focus on the next Mario Kart now. Really excited for September

Last edited:
Umm

We're getting TWO non-city nitro tracks. Yes they're not "new" in the literal sense but they're still original ones like Yoshi's Island, SCS, etc. and there's two of them now. Makes up for no BCP-debut course.

Also considering how mediocre the 3DS Rainbow Road remake is, I'm looking forward to an actual good Rainbow Road remake in the BCP. Wii RR was made with the BCP in mind and it's so obvious.

We're also FINALLY getting a retro Bowser Castle. After a decade

Don't forget about the remaining characters as well.

Even without a brand-new track wave 6 is still far more exciting than wave 5 was

I do agree that speculation is stale now and quite frankly I'm glad Tour is ending content soon and wave 6 is the last wave. I'm ready to hop off the BCP hype train and I really want the team to focus on the next Mario Kart now. Really excited for September

Two new Piranha Plant themed courses just feels like overkill to me. I've been super bummed ever since the final new nitro was seemingly cancelled and replaced with a retro spot and then MOBDK went to the Piranha Plant Pipeline rather than any of the cooler possibilities that had been thrown around for months. And yeah, those are my expectations and all coming back to bite me. But if it had been ANYTHING other than another Piranha Plant track, and specifically one that looks like a step down from Piranha Plant Cove which looks considerably more fun. They are original, but they are both themed after the same thing and neither come CLOSE to what the last few tracks have shown off in concept.

I don't really agree that 3DS Rainbow Road was a meh remake. I thought it was good and plays pretty wonderfully. Maybe the moon could look better, but even though I don't always really think about it. Wii Rainbow Road is nice and all, but I don't see what a new version brings special either to elevate it IMO.

Bowser's Castle is nice... but again, would probably rather any other modern version of Bowser's Castle, the SNES ones have never been my cup of tea.

Remaining characters is just 2 sadly because 5 went above and beyond with 3, and there's no combination of 2 that makes me as happy as I would be (and virtually knocked out Dixie Kong, and now either Funky or Pauline are likely to miss here too).

I don't think Wave 5 was as exciting as Wave 4, but where we're at with Wave 6 doesn't excite ME more than either of those with where it seems to be now.

And yeah, those are my expectations and all coming back to bite me. But if it had been ANYTHING other than another Piranha Plant track, and specifically one that looks like a step down from Piranha Plant Cove which looks considerably more fun. They are original, but they are both themed after the same thing and neither come CLOSE to what the last few tracks have shown off in concept.
Piranha Plant Pipeline is only Piranha Plant themed in name. It's entirely different from Cove, it's just a localization screwup. It isn't even related to Piranha Plants in Japan, it's just called Pipe Canyon there which is a much better name.

A pipe themed track is still disappointing compared to the other speculated options, sure, but calling it "another Piranha Plant track" is not really true.

piranha plant pipeline kind of... is piranha plant themed though. there's a ton of them all over the thing, and it's fitting since pipes and plants are pretty notably linked together in this universe.

the name might be localization only but it's not like they pulled it out of their asses.

If Wave 6 comes around, what would have been the hook for its reveal? New courses in Mario Kart Tour are drying up so we may not have new courses announced first for this game. Characters are likely not going to be newcomers announced for this game compared to Tour (Wave 4 had unused coloured Birdo(s), Wave 5 has Wiggler). With previous waves, they have (in my opinion) the following points to sell them:
  1. Wave 1: Announcement of BCP, with a promise of more courses to come
  2. Wave 2: Sky-High Sundae
  3. Wave 4: Yoshi's Island + Birdo
  4. Wave 5: Squeaky Clean Sprint + Kamek, Wiggler, and Petey Piranha; Wiggler is added before Tour
Thank you for reading.

If Wave 6 comes around, what would have been the hook for its reveal? New courses in Mario Kart Tour are drying up so we may not have new courses announced first for this game. Characters are likely not going to be newcomers announced for this game compared to Tour (Wave 4 had unused coloured Birdo(s), Wave 5 has Wiggler). With previous waves, they have (in my opinion) the following points to sell them:
  4. Wave 5: Squeaky Clean Sprint + Kamek, Wiggler, and Petey Piranha; Wiggler is added before Tour
Thank you for reading.
For the Direct Teaser I imagine they’ll lean on Rainbow Road Wii and the two new characters (my guesses are Diddy Kong and Pauline) like they did for Wave 5. I believe for original prefix leak purposes, there’s still a chance for one more original track if Moonview Highway replaced a GameCube track, but it doesn’t appear to have an equivalent in Tour where theses courses have been until now pulled from.

Regardless of whatever happens, I do appreciate Moonview Highway really threw a wrench in the last round of discussion. We can expect for sure the last two cities plus Piranha Plant Cove and Pipeline to make it in, but those last four track all have a degree of uncertainty now. My own guess is Rainbow Road Wii, Bowser’s Castle SNES, DK Mountain GCN, and one more Gamecube track (Dino Dino Jungle?), but who knows. I’d love if another original course or if Airship Fortress snuck in more.

Thank you for reading.
I think it'll be similar to Wave 3:

Direct Announcement features one of the Piranha Plant courses and one strong retro (Bowser Castle 3), a la Merry Mountain and Peach Gardens. Diddy and Pauline/Funky also featured.

Official Wave Announcement highlights two major fan favorite retros: Wii Rainbow Road and DK Mountain, a la Maple Treeway and 3DS Rainbow Road.

I think the combination of Diddy, Pauline/Funky, Wii RR, DK Mountain, and (finally) a Bowser Castle track will create more hype than Waves 2 & 5, and an equal amount to Waves 3 & 4.

I think the combination of Diddy, Pauline/Funky, Wii RR, DK Mountain, and (finally) a Bowser Castle track will create more hype than Waves 2 & 5, and an equal amount to Waves 3 & 4.
Really?? Imo wave 2 was the best of the bunch: Waluigi Pinball, Sydney, Mushroom Gorge, Mario Circuit, Snow Land and Kalimari Desert all provide great racing. 3 was kinda weak in general and 4 had too many cities. I haven't played 5 enough yet to judge it.

Really?? Imo wave 2 was the best of the bunch: Waluigi Pinball, Sydney, Mushroom Gorge, Mario Circuit, Snow Land and Kalimari Desert all provide great racing. 3 was kinda weak in general and 4 had too many cities. I haven't played 5 enough yet to judge it.
Just talking about hype alone from the announcement of each wave, not the quality of the actual waves themselves.

I think the order of hype level would go:

Wave 1: Massive hype due to announcement of BCP itself.
Wave 4: Lots of hype from Yoshi's Island and the announcement of new characters
Wave 3: Lots of hype from Maple Treeway and 3DS Rainbow Road
Wave 5: Hype from Koopa Cape, Squeaky Clean Sprint, and Petey/Kamek/Wiggler
Wave 2: Hype from Waluigi Pinball and the first "brand new" course

Hopefully there's a surprise in Wave 6 to make it one of the most exciting yet!

So, I didn't quite like wave 5 courses that much, but the characters are lit. I do play Kamek a lot, and that is not because of some sort of meta, but more because I really like the character, and he was rejected on other Mario Kart games.

However, character wise, I would love to see them end of with King Bob-omb and either Monty Mole or Poochy. But I guess Diddy Kong is probably the one who gets in, which is fine by me.

Course wise, I'd love to see DK Mountain from DD, aswell as Delfino Square or Desert Hills from DS. Bowsers Castle 64 would be fun too to see. But I am certain that the very last track would be Rainbow Road Wii

I know this is wishful thinking but just curious - have they actually ever explicitly said that 6 new characters total are coming to the game? Can't see anything on either the UK or US sites. Obviously there are the 6 new slots, but they kinda had to add the full column in when they released birdo, but wouldn't have to add a potential second column. I know Nintendo are not usually sneaky like that, but it's fun to dream!

On a different note, are there ever any Famiboards-organised tournaments for the game?

I know this is wishful thinking but just curious - have they actually ever explicitly said that 6 new characters total are coming to the game? Can't see anything on either the UK or US sites. Obviously there are the 6 new slots, but they kinda had to add the full column in when they released birdo, but wouldn't have to add a potential second column. I know Nintendo are not usually sneaky like that, but it's fun to dream!

On a different note, are there ever any Famiboards-organised tournaments for the game?
Nope, they haven’t specified 6 anywhere.

Quite early this time, the next Tour contains:
New courses:
Madrid 1 and 2 (the final city). We drive through a football (soccer) stadium at one point. Also contains Thwomps and Wigglers (maybe even Goomba Shoe in the stadium which was hinted at the end of the video)
New drivers:
A Mario alt from Super Mario Odyssey (which was apparently one of the earliest characters made for the game but only releasing now)
Orange Mii Racing Suit
Blooper Mii Racing Suit
Purple Pit Crew Toad (possibly the final Super rarity driver coming to the game)
New karts:
Firey version of the Zucchini
Gold Pinch Hitter
New gliders:
Baseball Mario Hat Glider
Baseball Luigi Hat Glider
Gold Mario Hat Glider

My thoughts: I honestly was not expecting Madrid just yet - it sounds like it could be a good time.

Back
Top Bottom