• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Hollow Knight: Silksong — Pre-release Discussion Thread

I'm expecting $15-20. The problem with HK already being $15 is that that sets an expectation. Even if people do believe the game is worth more, there will be friction if the price is raised too much.
yeah. personally i think the game deserves to be 30, even 40 dollars, just like the original did. it felt almost like a steal at $15. but i think if they price silksong too much higher than the original they'll run into unneeded comparisons, like people talking about there not being enough content to make it worth twice as much as HK (even if it's a stupid argument). i have a feeling they'll go for the same price as original and have the confidence that they'll sell a lot of copies and make a lot of money, plus this time they got that game pass check as well.

Personally I am convinced it is going to be at the xbox event with release date
I really hope you’re right, but I just don’t see it. I’ve stopped getting myself hyped up for these things, the crushing disappointment has gotten to be too much.

I’ll still watch it though, of course.

Personally I am convinced it is going to be at the xbox event with release date
I hope you’re right. Both because it feels like it’s been forever and because I just did my Fantasy Critic draft and this is now the fourth year in a row I’ve picked it.

How much you reckon (oh shit, I turned into Carl from Sling Blade) this game’ll cost???

I'm guessing 30. The first game was wayyyyyyy underpriced, but I think that's part of the reason it did as well as it did. For the amount of quality content you get, I feel like it's probably worth 40-50 bucks easily, but I think 30 is the sweet spot this time around.

I think it could show up at the developer direct, but it's really not clear if it'll be entirely focused on "big features" only, as opposed to all sorts of games like with what Nintendo or Sony have done.

If it's the latter, then I'm pretty confident we'll hear about it there.

I don't know, I kind of get the feeling that with this event being listed as a dev direct and the games being listed in advance, I'm expecting those games and those games only. No surprises. But I would definitely take it!

I have been a bit busy, so I had completely forgotten the Microsoft event is set for this week.

Here's hoping this is indeed the week.

Still feel like it's gonna be Team Cherry themselves that announce the release date, but if there's a chance we get any sort news I'm gonna tune in.

I don't even own an Xbox lol

I've been pretty patient in the years waiting for Silksong but the last month or so I've been starting to get hyped, watching all the footage of it again, reading the edge interview, checking forums and reddit for any possible hints that an announcement might be coming soon. I'm probably unreasonably anticipating the Xbox event this week almost solely due to a possibility of Silksong. Even if logically the description of the event makes me think it's unlikely. I just hope we at least hear something about this game by the end of February!

I did my 3rd or 4th play through of Hollow Knight mid last year but this time got 112% for the first time and finished the Godhome dlc, beating the Pantheon of Hallownest. I seriously think that pantheon might be the hardest thing I've ever accomplished in a video game lol. Combat & boss design in this game (most of the time) is so good, you really do feel like you get more and more skilled as you practice. Sisters of Battle, Nightmare King Grimm and Pure Vessel are particularly amazing, you feel 'One with the Controller' during those. Absolute Radiance is just awful though, I hate it lol.

I hate to say it but this isn’t the week

So.... assuming we get a February direct like normal, when do y'all think it would be?

Definitely not the last week of Feb, that time is Pokemon only. But this year Pokemon Day is on Monday so there is a high chance, the event will be on the week before. Feb 20 onward is basically out of the way.

So Nintendo Direct is probably early or mid-Feb.

... i honestly am on the lowest point of mi silksong hype since ever.
Just not in the right mindset for it currently.
im really currently more curious about the development history of this game.
It and TotK have a interestingly converging development timeline.
Started as DLC ideas, moved to direct sequel, got announced 2019, will come till summer, and they are really quiet.
they reused the engine, old ideas, artstyle, ...

HK was huge but took shorter to develop with a smaller team. How much bigger is Silksong? Or what happend during development that they had to rework it a lot?

Started as DLC ideas, moved to direct sequel, got announced 2019, will come till summer, and they are really quiet.

HK was huge but took shorter to develop with a smaller team. How much bigger is Silksong? Or what happend during development that they had to rework it a lot?

I can see part of the reason was because of the platform, it was originally on PC only, and it took almost 2 years to be released on Switch and PS4/Xbox.

And they definitely gonna want it to be on all platform at the same time, so basically PC (Windows, Mac, Linux), console (Switch, PS5, Series X/S and PS4/One X too).

Same for me, both Hollow Knight and BotW were definitely goats while I was playing them, but as the time passes, I'm not sure if a sequel would have much more to offer.

It's like what RDR2 was for RDR, I loved the first but I had a really hard time going through the second even if it's definitely a better game in all aspects.

The weird thing is that I don't feel the same for all IPs, I'm hyped for Pikmin 4 and I dream about a third DKCR even if they're just more of the same or what they predecessors were.

Save us @NateDrake we are endlessly trapped in a Silksong clown cycle.

Since it's almost certainly now not in the Xbox Direct, the next most likely event would be the assumed February Nintendo Direct. Unless Team Cherry just announce a release date themselves out of the blue, which is possible since the original announcement of Silksong was done that way wasn't it?

Save us @NateDrake we are endlessly trapped in a Silksong clown cycle.

Since it's almost certainly now not in the Xbox Direct, the next most likely event would be the assumed February Nintendo Direct. Unless Team Cherry just announce a release date themselves out of the blue, which is possible since the original announcement of Silksong was done that way wasn't it?
Between fake review code emails and such, there is no saving one from the Silksong cycle.

I can see part of the reason was because of the platform, it was originally on PC only, and it took almost 2 years to be released on Switch and PS4/Xbox.

And they definitely gonna want it to be on all platform at the same time, so basically PC (Windows, Mac, Linux), console (Switch, PS5, Series X/S and PS4/One X too).
Im aware of the time it took to port it.
but they have the base, they know the traps for developing for the consoles, etc.

And they probable have a bigger team to help with since they banked good on the first one. (well earned!)

Between kickstarter and release there where ~2,5 Years, and 1,5 for the DLC updates and Ports to consoles.
Thats about how far we are now, 4 years since anouncement (which seemed further along then HK was during the kickstarter), while having the pipeline and everything from the first one. i know, pandemic. Still, to me this does not add up.

i honestly think there have to be other reasons. Personal ones (hope not, but even if, not for us to know), design reasons (maybe they scraped big parts of the game halfway cause they felt its so close to HK or not evoking the feel they were after).

Between fake review code emails and such, there is no saving one from the Silksong cycle.
I think I remember reading an article earlier this month about that. Of course silksong of all games would get it lol...

Just curious, are they what made you think Silksong was coming out soon, or was that still something else?

Oh I hadn't heard about that, that's just cruel. I guess that means we're back to expecting a release sometime before mid June.

A fake "Team Cherry" email account had been contacting content creators inquiring about sponsored spots/review coverage back in November and December (even in early January). It was a scam and attempt to steal access to YT channels. The funny thing was: they were telling creators that console builds weren't finished but that they had Steam keys available.

I think I remember reading an article earlier this month about that. Of course silksong of all games would get it lol...

Just curious, are they what made you think Silksong was coming out soon, or was that still something else?

It played a minor role. Took it to mean the release timing info being near may have solid foundation but when discovering the emails were fake, I started to question the original info, too.

A fake "Team Cherry" email account had been contacting content creators inquiring about sponsored spots/review coverage back in November and December (even in early January). It was a scam and attempt to steal access to YT channels. The funny thing was: they were telling creators that console builds weren't finished but that they had Steam keys available.

It played a minor role. Took it to mean the release timing info being near may have solid foundation but when discovering the emails were fake, I started to question the original info, too.
on the one hand that’s terrible

on the other hand that’s hilarious

none are spared the ceaseless spool

I had no idea about the fake review code e-mails.

Of course Silksong, of all games, had to be the one to be at the receiving end of such a scam.

This is simultaneously the worst and funniest timeline when it comes to Silksong, I am sure.

from my spectator scouting spots (which are as reliable as casting bones, so don’t assume I know shit) it’s seemed like January was too soon for a while now — there are a couple ripples I’m anticipating that haven’t happened yet

Team Cherry’s priorities, as far as I can tell, are:
  • heavy polish, significant bugs cleared
  • simultaneous release
  • H1 release window barring any major issues — Leth likely advised Q1 if possible, but polish + coordination is more important to them
My assumptions (less demonstrably true):
  • TC don’t want to release near Tears of the Kingdom
  • TC love the poetry of a potential February release or release announcement, but won’t force it
  • TC will move swiftly and with confidence — my bet is two weeks from release date announcement to release
Other informed speculation:
  • they just rounded a corner last week — something shifted tonally that makes me think they just finalized some part of the release plan
  • no physical at launch — but if there is, brace for April or later
  • if the game is releasing in Korea at all, it’s not yet rated — Korean applications are separate from IARC
  • simultaneous release means all review processes for each company must be cleared before launch
Marketing thoughts:
  • release date in a Nintendo Direct would be valuable to them, but not necessary
  • XBOX and PS last year were very strategic — getting in front of audiences they hadn’t specifically marketed to yet
  • this also means, in Cherry Time, that they likely don’t feel the need to make another big splash for those two
  • if they could coordinate with a Direct, I could see it happening — completing the loop, when it’s one of the first places they showed, especially after years of console sales
  • but — they could just as easily skip it since they technically “already showcased with Nintendo”
Where does this all leave us?
  • February — possible, and they’d be delighted, probably too soon for release. announcement likely, release somewhat unlikely but possible.
  • March — a nice cozy release pocket, gives them a bit of space on either side. release probable.
  • April — would complete a years-old mossbag joke. less likely but also incredible.
  • May — if this happens I don’t think they wanted it to.
  • June — more likely than May, actually, and maybe even April
  • post-June — entirely possible, but things have gone wrong.
so if we do the bullshit math on my made-up facts, we get:

February release date announcement, March release

maybe

• they just rounded a corner last week — something shifted tonally that makes me think they just finalized some part of the release plan

Is there anything concrete that makes you say this?

Is there anything concrete that makes you say this?
the fact that I am entirely unhinged

mostly the flavor of graig’s shitposting, he’s gone from “for all I know some unexpected bug will take months to solve” all the way to “I can’t tell you when the kickstarter for my own game is because then you’ll know when Silksong comes out” and “silksong’s coming soon, don’t kill yourselves yet!”

so yeah, “concrete” is a big stretch. literally being like “the most notorious and frequent shitposter on team cherry staff has very slightly changed words and since I’m a notorious shitposter too I can get inside the mind of the killer

there was also like a file or site record that got bumped recently that made me suspicious but I can’t remember / find what it was because COVID has made my bad memory worse

the fact that I am entirely unhinged

mostly the flavor of graig’s shitposting, he’s gone from “for all I know some unexpected bug will take months to solve” all the way to “I can’t tell you when the kickstarter for my own game is because then you’ll know when Silksong comes out” and “silksong’s coming soon, don’t kill yourselves yet!”

so yeah, “concrete” is a big stretch. literally being like “the most notorious and frequent shitposter on team cherry staff has very slightly changed words and since I’m a notorious shitposter too I can get inside the mind of the killer

there was also like a file or site record that got bumped recently that made me suspicious but I can’t remember / find what it was because COVID has made my bad memory worse
Thanks for elaborating. Is that on the Hollow Knight Discord? And they're like a playtester or something?

Thanks for elaborating. Is that on the Hollow Knight Discord? And they're like a playtester or something?
maybe I should clarify a little bit here

all I’m doing is guessing, and even though it was fun for me to go bugeyed with yarn making connections, that’s all it is

graig is one of the lead playtesters and also works on his own game. he is also 99.9% shitpost machine and says anything always all the time — more likely than not, my vague interpretation means nothing

he is also routinely harassed as a knower of things, so in hindsight I kind of regret bringing it up

all I’m doing is guessing, and even though it was fun for me to go bugeyed with yarn making connections, that’s all it is

graig is one of the lead playtesters and also works on his own game. he is also 99.9% shitpost machine and says anything always all the time — more likely than not, my vague interpretation means nothing

he is also routinely harassed as a knower of things, so in hindsight I kind of regret bringing it up
Don't worry about it. I like clinging to anything, even if it is from Graig.

But yeah, this same guy caused a virtual riot in the HK Discord after he said we'd get a release date during the 2021 Game Awards. Good times.

All good, I think we all realise we're resorting to speculation based on very little. I do like your monthly breakdown and think your reasons make sense. Again, based on extremely little haha.

So this was just found/noticed today:

Rated on 15th January. I guess that's something? Whether it at least means it's content complete I'm not sure, but it's a sign it's getting closer!
oh my god this lines up with my timeline

and it IS IARC, so my no physical at launch prediction seems accurate

this is huge y’all, do you know what this means?!

IARC isn’t usually processed until STOREFRONT SUBMISSION

it’s happening it’s happening it’s happening and I CAN READ SHITPOST SERIAL KILLERS, I FUCKIN KNEW IT

it’s happening it’s happening it’s happening and I CAN READ SHITPOST SERIAL KILLERS, I FUCKIN KNEW IT
Oh really? I didn't know anything about IARC, just read a little about it. But if those aren't usually until storefront submission... That's huge!!! That could mean it's only weeks or even days away, right?

Edit: Hol' up. Suswave, how do you know it's usually processed after storefront submission? From previous experience? Or do they state that somewhere?

Last edited:

Oh huh, maybe Nate's original info was actually on the ball? That would be an interesting twist

Edit: Also yes props for shitpost-based oracle-ing

Oh really? I didn't know anything about IARC, just read a little about it. But if those aren't usually until storefront submission... That's huge!!! That could mean it's only weeks or even days away, right?
there may be a “review period” on each storefront, but they may be working with each storefront’s team closely enough to shorten it

my best bet is that the time from now to launch is mostly determined by marketing plans — so I’m still thinking Feb-March cadence

however, if a tough enough bug is found in final review, they could pause plans — though I think they’ve been working very hard to avoid that

Back
Top Bottom