• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Hollow Knight: Silksong — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Well, going by post count compared to when the accounts where created, and that they found it importaint to post here , both the same... yeah...could actually be.

Im actually suprized that brock was banned. Expected a warning at most.

My gut says, we will see this game this summer. 40% chance its a shadow drop in the nintendo direct (with it either being XBox shortly after that, or at the same time)
We’re his friends lmao

Only aspect im not fond of:
it looks less colorfull. One thing i really liked with the first trailer, is that compared to HK the colors popped more and where less variants of blue and green with grey.
Like @bellydrum pointed out, I think that has more to do with what they decided to show off, I wouldn't worry about the final game not having plenty of color in it. Hollow Knight itself is also fairly grey-and monochrome in places, but a lot of the areas really pop off later on.

Yeah the first trailer certainly popped more, but at least we know the game is going to be colorful as fuc.

View attachment 446View attachment 448
View attachment 449
Yeah, thats what i meant. Its just, those are 3 years old. I hope they did not rething the colors and decide that it did go to far from HK.
We’re his friends lmao
Thats what he would say =P im joking, dont take me serious here =D
Like @bellydrum pointed out, I think that has more to do with what they decided to show off, I wouldn't worry about the final game not having plenty of color in it. Hollow Knight itself is also fairly grey-and monochrome in places, but a lot of the areas really pop off later on.
Well the thing is, the mutere colors of hollow knight where one of those aspects that did make the game look uninteresting to me (bevore i played it ant it became one of the best games)
I dont want "a lot of areas really pop off later on", i want generally more color.
I mean even if its still rather grey for the most part i would be fine, since the game would be great.

And sure, its just what they wanted to show.

It was still one aspect, where i felt: the first trailer was ... better.
I feel like the first had more character overall and was more charming.

I think this is meant to be a "combat" trailer, so to speak, so less focus was put on the environments

On the flipside, we got a lot of interesting information on the combat. I noticed Hornet seems to have multiple different basic attacks - she uses the diagonal pogo attack we've seen before in the trailer, but also something that looks very much like the Hollow Knight "down-air" pogo. Similarly, I spotted at least three different attacks she does from the air - a spin move, a neutral horizontal slash, and an overhead slash. There might be a couple others, like a heavier overhead slash I'm currently assuming is like the Nail Arts from HK, and a different looking spin move. There's also two new ground moves - a dash attack that rebounds Hornet after hitting an enemy, and an uppercut that gets her airborne

Basically, combat seems to be greatly expanded from Hollow Knight. I'm not really sure how all these options are going to work in game, maybe it has something to do with the Crest system we've heard about from previous updates? I think I remember them saying that Crests could affect Hornet's core moveset as well as giving her equipment slots.

I think this is meant to be a "combat" trailer, so to speak, so less focus was put on the environments

On the flipside, we got a lot of interesting information on the combat. I noticed Hornet seems to have multiple different basic attacks - she uses the diagonal pogo attack we've seen before in the trailer, but also something that looks very much like the Hollow Knight "down-air" pogo. Similarly, I spotted at least three different attacks she does from the air - a spin move, a neutral horizontal slash, and an overhead slash. There might be a couple others, like a heavier overhead slash I'm currently assuming is like the Nail Arts from HK, and a different looking spin move. There's also two new ground moves - a dash attack that rebounds Hornet after hitting an enemy, and an uppercut that gets her airborne

Basically, combat seems to be greatly expanded from Hollow Knight. I'm not really sure how all these options are going to work in game, maybe it has something to do with the Crest system we've heard about from previous updates? I think I remember them saying that Crests could affect Hornet's core moveset as well as giving her equipment slots.
Im shure the crest system is the culprit, and i also think that the increased in complexity of the combat is one of the reasons why the game took longer.
HKs combat was rather simple at its core, but well tuned. This adds so many options, im confident that it was way hardere to balance.

silksong had an eshop page on NoA's site since the game was announced. the page was taken down in the february of this year for some reason (tho the european eshops still had a page for the game). as of last night the page on NoA's site is back up.

silksong had an eshop page on NoA's site since the game was announced. the page was taken down in the february of this year for some reason (tho the european eshops still had a page for the game). as of last night the page on NoA's site is back up.

I really do hope this means getting a release date at the next Nintendo direct.

It seemed fishy to me that we got such a meaty trailer for a company that deals in secrecy. I'd be willing to bet that what we've been shown is actually a part of the launch trailer, just cut down because they were obligated to show something at the Xbox Presentation. The footage here focused almost entirely on action, whereas earlier previews have shown and mentioned NPCs, towns, and exploration.

Also, a lot of people think that because a 12 month timeframe was given, that we should be expecting a release date later on. However, don't forget that Hollow Knight's release date was announced just two weeks in advance. I think they are very precise about the timing, and want to be absolutely sure they can make it on time to release.

Last edited:
It seemed fishy to me that we got such a meaty trailer for a company that deals in secrecy. I'd be willing to bet that what we've been shown is actually a part of the launch trailer, just cut down because they were obligated to show something at the Xbox Presentation.
i agree, i think what we saw will just be uploaded later by team cherry and nintendo to youtube either as the release date trailer, or as the launch trailer if there's a shadow drop.

Hollow Knight is, with Rain World, my favorite game of the last decade. I'm obviously very interested in the sequel, but from what we have seen so far, I prefer the atmosphere of HK. Maybe because that last trailer especially had a big emphasis on combat.

Hollow Knight is, with Rain World, my favorite game of the last decade. I'm obviously very interested in the sequel, but from what we have seen so far, I prefer the atmosphere of HK. Maybe because that last trailer especially had a big emphasis on combat.
it was a trailer focused on movement and combat, i'm sure it's gonna still have the quiet and atmospheric moments of HK, but i guess those don't really translate well to a 90 second trailer intended to sell people on the game.

it was a trailer focused on movement and combat, i'm sure it's gonna still have the quiet and atmospheric moments of HK, but i guess those don't really translate well to a 90 second trailer intended to sell people on the game.

That's what I hope.
The first time I arrived in the City of Tears was quite something. And exploring the map to realize that its located just below a lake, hence the constant rain, was one of those details that made HK so immersive. I hope that Silksong will be as good in that regard.

they showed a little bit of silksong in the indie sizzle reel at the xbox extended show. i gif'd all the silksong footage shown:

jun-14-202222-57-537dkb1.gif

jun-14-202222-58-28j9kb6.gif

jun-14-202223-00-19lvkbe.gif

Last edited:
How about a round of applause for @mazi , who has been doing terrific work keeping us up to date with news?? Thank you very much for your hard work, friend!

The combat and movement look so slick

Hollow Knight had this more deliberate movement about it which worked very well for the game, imo, but really like how Silksong is adding so much more fluidity and combat options.

I will be disappointed if there is no date. But I will take a shadowdrop!

My only problem with a shadowdrop would be the fact I wouldn't be able to plan a day off for the game's release. But I can live with that.

If they shadowdrop on the Direct, I'll be the happiest person... Plz Team Cherry... Make it happen (wishful thinking)...

The fact that it hasn’t been rated by the ESRB means that we almost certainly won’t get a shadow drop. Just trying to be rational. I’m still holding out hope for a July/August release date, though.

The fact that it hasn’t been rated by the ESRB means that we almost certainly won’t get a shadow drop. Just trying to be rational. I’m still holding out hope for a July/August release date, though.
It hasn't been fully rated yet, but it has been submitted for rating. So it's definitely close.

i don't think digital only games on switch need to be rated by ESRB.

Maaaaaaaaan, I need to buckle down and play the first game. It has been installed on my Xbox for only a year lol

Man no release date really was a drag. If we don’t get it at the direct then that really sucks - it’s one of those games I don’t really care to see more of before I can play it, just let me know when that will be!

Man no release date really was a drag. If we don’t get it at the direct then that really sucks - it’s one of those games I don’t really care to see more of before I can play it, just let me know when that will be!
I feel the same way. I actually haven't even watched the trailer Microsoft dropped.

so i was thinking about a hypothetical silksong shadow drop (as one does), and i think it's unlikely for one reason. since silksong was originally supposed to be dlc for HK, when they revealed it as a separate game they said they'll give the 2 thousand kickstarter backers a free code for PC or switch when the game launches.

kickstarter update
As a backer, your support made this happen, so you’ll of course be receiving your copy of Hollow Knight: Silksong 100% free.

But we also know that times change, and the Nintendo Switch is quickly becoming a common (and excellent) console to own. Because of that, any backer of the game from the $10AUD and above tiers can choose to receive their copy of Hollow Knight: Silksong free on either PC or Nintendo Switch, at launch. We’ll shoot out a simple survey as we get closer to release to find out which version you’d like to receive.

i don't think the backers have received any survey to confirm what kind of code (PC or switch) they want, so unless the backers are not gonna be able to play the game at launch, i don't think a shadow drop is likely.

Last edited:
so i was thinking about a hypothetical silksong shadow drop (as one does), and i think it's unlikely for one reason. since silksong was originally supposed to be dlc for the game, when they revealed silksong as a separate game they said they'll the 2 thousand kickstarter backers a free code for PC or switch when the game launches.

kickstarter update

i don't think the backers have received any survey to confirm what kind of code (pc or switch) they want, so unless the backers are not gonna be able to play the game at launch, i don't think a shadow drop is likely.
Yeah sadly that's pretty good evidence against a shadowdrop, since I imagine they'd want backers to be able to play the game as soon as it's available. Though I'll still hold out hope since they're being pretty secretive still about the release so maybe they'd figure that sending out a survey would show their hand too early? Not sure how they'd get around the backer issue though

Seems more likely that if we get anything it'll be a release date so that it's easier to handle the backer issue

At this point I'm absolutely expecting something in the direct, be it a release date or a shadowdrop. It's probably not the best idea to go in that way, but my hype has gotten to the point where rationality is simply not possible. I'm all in, baby! Let's GO!

I had a dream that Silksong was shown at the next direct, and was set to release later that day. Moments later I wake up and now I'm heartbroken...

I think if it doesn't come out the same day, the Direct will absolutely give a release date that's less than a month out—the 100% assurance from Microsoft that it'll be out within 12 months says to me that it's already done, since studios like these almost never know when their games will be ready to release until they are ready to release

I think chances are still good we see it tomorrow. I’m hyping irresponsibly, as usual.

Back
Top Bottom