• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Hollow Knight: Silksong — Pre-release Discussion Thread

I can’t confirm this, but someone on Reddit said that Xbox Argentina posted an Instagram saying,

"Hollow Knight: Silksong is still some time away, but in the meantime, you can replay Hollow Knight or play it for the first time to be prepared."

I feel like that is not a great sign for December or January. I’m still Team February all the way though.

I can’t confirm this, but someone on Reddit said that Xbox Argentina posted an Instagram saying,

"Hollow Knight: Silksong is still some time away, but in the meantime, you can replay Hollow Knight or play it for the first time to be prepared."

I feel like that is not a great sign for December or January. I’m still Team February all the way though.
Yup, here is the post

Aún falta tiempo para la llegada de Hollow Knight: Silksong, mientras, podés volver a jugar Hollow Knight o jugarlo por primera vez para estar preparado.

Hmmm... "Is still some time away" is pretty interesting language to use, especially considering that we only have so long left with the MS 12-month timeframe.

I'm also not certain that Xbox Argentina wouldn't know anything about Silksong, considering that one of the basic aspects of a business, even across seas, is communication.

Honestly I'd be curious to hear from Nate if he's heard that anything has changed, or if this also seems to him like it's coming out of nowhere. Cause it's definitely unexpected after the comments we've gotten from him.

Last edited:
Reading too much into it. I ran this through Google translate and the literal English is "There is still time for the arrival of Hollow Knight: Silksong" -- basically, there's still time until Hollow Knight: Silksong releases. Can mean anything.

Yup, here is the post

There is yet time [until] the arrival of Hollow Knight: Silksong; meanwhile, you can return to play Hollow Knight [again] or play it for the first time to be prepared.

It really doesn't say anything we don't already know. Silksong is yet to release, but Hollow Knight is available to play. It's an incredibly standard release.

Honestly I'd be curious to hear from Nate if he's heard that anything has changed, or if this also seems to him like it's coming out of nowhere. Cause it's definitely unexpected after the comments we've gotten from him.

Nah, it doesn't really contradict anything he's said that I know of. It doesn't give any actual insight into release plans.

I'm also not certain that Xbox Argentina wouldn't know anything about Silksong, considering that one of the basic aspects of a business, even across seas, is communication
It seems likely the person updating the social media doesn't know when the game is releasing until there's an announcement ready, regardless of global location.

It really doesn't say anything we don't already know. Silksong is yet to release, but Hollow Knight is available to play. It's an incredibly standard release.

Nah, it doesn't really contradict anything he's said that I know of. It doesn't give any actual insight into release plans.

It seems likely the person updating the social media doesn't know when the game is releasing until there's an announcement ready, regardless of global location.
Well using that translation, however you obtained it, definitely helps with understanding what they were trying to say.

I think it's pretty clear now that nothing of importance is actually being said, just standard stuff like you're saying.

What? The game could release this month? Where did Nate say this?
Yeah, and to add to that:

So yeah seems like we're in for a January release!
You can follow this thread back a bit for the full details but yes Nate seems to believe, seemingly off of insider info, that Silksong is releasing this month

Since I'm only hearing about this for the first time today, in January, I only have to wait 2-3 weeks at most. What a fantastic way to start the month and year

Last edited:
I don’t believe it.

Nate’s credible but it’s the elusive Silksong.

Your reaction is appropriate though.
Honestly it being Silksong makes me both hesitant and more likely to trust Nate on the release date

On an emotional level, I can't believe Silksong is releasing until I'm actually playing it. But logically, if Nate knows about it at all, it's likely because the release date is basically locked in.

He's pretty unlikely to have in development sources for an indie dev, but fairly likely to have contacts in one of the numerous storefronts this is launching in, so I'm more inclined to trust that if he thinks he knows a release date, it's because of that

Would kind of be shocked at a shadow drop, but hey it worked the first time. It would certainly be welcome, but I'm not getting my hopes up!

I don’t believe it.

Nate’s credible but it’s the elusive Silksong.

Your reaction is appropriate though.
I feel the same way. It's Nate's credibility against one of the most elusive indie games ever. Maybe if there was a Nintendo direct or Xbox presentation coming up I could start to believe it 👀

I’ve been worried that this game might drop too close to Zelda for me to fully dive into it. If Silksong ends up being the game that carries me for the next 5 months, we truly live in one of the best timelines.

I’ve been worried that this game might drop too close to Zelda for me to fully dive into it. If Silksong ends up being the game that carries me for the next 5 months, we truly live in one of the best timelines.
yeah i have this worry too. i really hope the two games are at least a couple months apart cuz i know both will consume me for months

silksong makes an appearance on xbox's insta stories

screenshot2023-01-02djftd.jpeg

I don't know how many follow Xbox stuff here (I typically don't), but it seems there's a lot of smoke for an event in January.

Some insiders, including Grub, have mentioned that it will be similar to the 'Nintendo direct type' presentations that Xbox used to do before COVID.

On top of that, support pages for Starfield & Redfall have been posted today. I don't personally know what that means, but it seems like many in the Xbox community take that as a a good sign news is coming soon.

Anyways the reason I'm mentioning all of this is I think Silksong would likely show up at the presentation if it does in fact exist. Just another facet of the industry if the Nintendo stuff doesn't pan out.

Today is my 40th birthday. It’d be nice if Silksong’s release date was announced today. Just sayin’, Team Cherry.

could we hear about silksong in the xbox direct?
I was thinking about this as well, but did not dare suggest it. But maybe it isn't completely impossible, there has been at least some smoke recently specifically in relation to Xbox.

could we hear about silksong in the xbox direct?
It's possible XBox scooped up a marketing deal, but the Developer Direct also seems more focused on first party games, so I'm leaning towards no

I was thinking about this as well, but did not dare suggest it. But maybe it isn't completely impossible, there has been at least some smoke recently specifically in relation to Xbox.
it does seem like team cherry and MS have some sort of marketing deal, so i do expect whatever we hear next about silksong (a release date trailer, shadow drop, etc) to be in an xbox event of some sort. unless team cherry just does it on their own social media accounts i guess, but there'd be more eyes on it if they do it via xbox at this point.

I think they would've mentioned "an update on Hollow Knight: Silksong" to get more eyes on the show in general, if it was going to be there. Silksong is gonna be one of the biggest releases of the year when it drops (for real gamers you know, not for gramers)

Did they announce Silksong would be in their June presentation? I think we knew about it beforehand because of a leak, no?

If that's the case, then there's hope. And remember, Nate said he was under the impression the release was close.

Did they announce Silksong would be in their June presentation? I think we knew about it beforehand because of a leak, no?

If that's the case, then there's hope. And remember, Nate said he was under the impression the release was close.
Yeah it was one of the Snitch leaks for the event

If Silksong doesn't get any update before the presentation I'd lean towards it being dropped there, but until then I'm not really feeling it. The Dev Direct feels too low-key for a Silksong drop imo

If Silksong doesn't get any update before the presentation I'd lean towards it being dropped there, but until then I'm not really feeling it. The Dev Direct feels too low-key for a Silksong drop imo
i don't think it's lowkey, it just seems like a very 1st party focussed event, specifically already announced first party games that are coming out soon-ish
BUT
silksong is an already announced game pass game, and in these events xbox likes to mention some games coming to game pass soon, whether it's a separate announcement or as part of a sizzle reel. i know it seems like too big of a deal to announce the release date for silksong like that, but it's a known thing at this point. we already have the platforms, a vague release window and it's been 4 years since the announcement. i don't think silksong is above being featured in that xbox event

tl;dr it may show up, it may not

On the bright side, I'd be shocked if we didn't hear about this in the next month. We got a Xbox event AND a Nintendo event to look forward to.

I think they would've mentioned "an update on Hollow Knight: Silksong" to get more eyes on the show in general, if it was going to be there. Silksong is gonna be one of the biggest releases of the year when it drops (for real gamers you know, not for gramers)
HK sold 2.8M by february 2019. I assume it sold another million isnce then (ok, lets round that to 4M in total).
With how many of those are sale sales, i don't expect them to reach HKs lifetime sales with silksong in the first year, so lets asume half of that -> 2M.

It will be one of the biggest games this year, ...for indies. compared to the big big ones (TotK, Starfield, FiFa, Maden, FF7 R 2, Assasing Creed Mirage, Diablo 4, FF16,...) it will not be one of the biggest.
those are >10M sellers.

HK sold 2.8M by february 2019. I assume it sold another million isnce then (ok, lets round that to 4M in total).
With how many of those are sale sales, i don't expect them to reach HKs lifetime sales with silksong in the first year, so lets asume half of that -> 2M.

It will be one of the biggest games this year, ...for indies. compared to the big big ones (TotK, Starfield, FiFa, Maden, FF7 R 2, Assasing Creed Mirage, Diablo 4, FF16,...) it will not be one of the biggest.
those are >10M sellers.

Yeah I didn't mean biggest selling, I know casuals don't give a crap about Hollow Knight. But biggest anticipated among enthusiasts and will be one of the top reviewed games of the year and talked about for years to come among us? Yes.

those are >10M sellers.
i think you're way underestimating the sales. the game has pretty much never left the eshop digital charts, and was (and still occasionally is) in the overall chart for years, not to mention its steam sales. i know steamspy isn't very reliable but it estimates between 5 to 10 million sold just on steam, then there's the ps4/xb versions.

i get your point tho, silksong is not exactly competing with the likes of totk or starfield when it comes to sales but i would think the first game has sold way more than 4 million at this point.

i think you're way underestimating the sales. the game has pretty much never left the eshop digital charts, and was (and still occasionally is) in the overall chart for years, not to mention its steam sales. i know steamspy isn't very reliable but it estimates between 5 to 10 million sold just on steam, then there's the ps4/xb versions.

i get your point tho, silksong is not exactly competing with the likes of totk or starfield when it comes to sales but i would think the first game has sold way more than 4 million at this point.
hm, seems my sales charts where not the most up to date, and i did asuem some form of slowin down. I still dont expect the mass to jump on it at launch.
As a comparison, "During its nearly two-year long early access period, Hades sold 700,000 copies. Within three days of its official release, it sold an additional 300,000 copies for a sales total of over one million.[41]"... and that game felt as huge as Hollow Knight. I would say 2-3 million in the first year is still a huge number and about what still seems realistic.

hm, seems my sales charts where not the most up to date, and i did asuem some form of slowin down. I still dont expect the mass to jump on it at launch.
As a comparison, "During its nearly two-year long early access period, Hades sold 700,000 copies. Within three days of its official release, it sold an additional 300,000 copies for a sales total of over one million.[41]"... and that game felt as huge as Hollow Knight. I would say 2-3 million in the first year is still a huge number and about what still seems realistic.
your expectations for silksong's first year are very realistic, just saying you may be underestimating the original's lifetime sales

How much you reckon (oh shit, I turned into Carl from Sling Blade) this game’ll cost???
Team Cherry would be insane to keep the original $15 price point. If I had to guess I'd say $20-30 USD would be likely. It still won't cost enough.

Also, with the multiplatform launch, I don't think we should expect an actual release date in any direct. I feel like it will be announced by TC themselves. Just my 2 cents.

How much you reckon (oh shit, I turned into Carl from Sling Blade) this game’ll cost???
good question... on one hand, the low price did the game sell the numbers it did and help push it as far ain the gaming mainstreas as it did.
I know i was skeptical but for that price i was like "fine, ill try it".

On the other hand... its such a sought after game, and i still feel for what it is the initial price was to low, so i expect it to increase. 20$ for sure, i could see it going up to 30$ (double of hollow knight), but really don't think that they will go for more then double.

Way back on announcement (like 4 years ago at this point so who knows what will have changed) I think TC implied they weren't going to be changing the price too much

I'm expecting $15-20. The problem with HK already being $15 is that that sets an expectation. Even if people do believe the game is worth more, there will be friction if the price is raised too much.

yeah I actually wouldn't be surprised if it's $15 US again but I think they should definitely bump it up a bit (and of course I'd pay 60 without much of a thought)

I also feel extremely sure that it'll be out before the end of february (based solely on vibes)

Back
Top Bottom