• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

The only question I have (and I'm sure other people have as well) is how much Nintendo values VRR as a feature?

I believe how much Nintendo values VRR as a feature determines whether or not the Nintendo Switch's successor features HDMI 2.1 and a 120 Hz display.
For their own games sake: Not very much as they normally run stable so there's little benefit.

So I guess it depends how much third parties have been requesting it. But I bet third parties would pick something like extra ram every day of the week, over VRR.

We’re back to the Dooming Phase of the discussion again huh

the-circle.gif

I have no strong opinion about this, but leaning against. For product differentiation/ form factor reasons.
The front and rear of the OLED Model's Dock with LAN Port have detachable plates, so we could get them doing both. Reusing the core design, ventilation and circuitry, with a front plate bearing a new logo, or even shape.

I think another possibility is that there's a whole new shell but the same circuitry, since the device is likely to be wider by a bit, it could look a little odd with the bezels sticking out either side more than they already do.

I don't think they'll bother with 120 Hz, and FG wouldn't work for games that actually need the extra frames, so I think they'll just reuse the HDMI 2.0 cable from the OLED dock.
Damn I never knew the switch Oled used HDMI 2.0, I always thought it was 1.4.

Also which HDMI did the base switch use or am I hallucinating that it used 1.4

Damn I never knew the switch Oled used HDMI 2.0, I always thought it was 1.4.

Also which HDMI did the base switch use or am I hallucinating that it used 1.4

Base used 1,4 you are right.

It's been theorised by some that HDR was a planned feature for the Oled. Since the screen, the dock and the output is capable of it.

Base used 1,4 you are right.

It's been theorised by some that HDR was a planned feature for the Oled. Since the screen, the dock and the output is capable of it.
It’s becoming clear that the Oled switch was meant to be a Pro version of the switch, but was cancelled because of the chip shortage, COVID and the switch still selling phenomenally.

I wonder if we can get some hints of what the Switch 2 will feature, by seeing and reading what the Oled was meant to be.
Like the Oled was rumored to have 8GB ram. By that we presume the switch 2 using 16GB, since the 8GB is twice as much as the base version of the switch.

Also makes me happy that Nintendo decided instead of making a pro, they would create a much better switch successors. Makes me wonder, how long Nintendo could have continued the switch lifespan if we got a pro version.

It’s becoming clear that the Oled switch was meant to be a Pro version of the switch, but was cancelled because of the chip shortage, COVID and the switch still selling phenomenally.

I wonder if we can get some hints of what the Switch 2 will feature, by seeing and reading what the Oled was meant to be.
Like the Oled was rumored to have 8GB ram. By that we presume the switch 2 using 16GB, since the 8GB is twice as much as the base version of the switch.

Also makes me happy that Nintendo decided instead of making a pro, they would create a much better switch successors. Makes me wonder, how long Nintendo could have continued the switch lifespan if we got a pro version.
I'm sorry, but that isn't clear at all, and the chip shortage likely had nothing to do with it. Tegra X1+ was the only SOC on the table and OLED Model used it, there was no significant shortage of Tegra X1+. If anything the shortage affected the additional new components for the improved output capabilities that were never used, and those were the weakest links and still got included.

A "pro" unit was ONE possibility of a Nintendo Switch system built with the improved performance ceiling of the Tegra X1+, and while clearly they looked into it, they ended up going with a design that improves on battery life and is price optimised.

If they had gone with a Pro, it would have had likely NO impact on the timing or performance of the new system, T239 has been in development since before the OLED Model was released.

I'm sorry, but that isn't clear at all, and the chip shortage likely had nothing to do with it. Tegra X1+ was the only SOC on the table and OLED Model used it, there was no significant shortage of Tegra X1+. If anything the shortage affected the additional new components for the improved output capabilities that were never used, and those were the weakest links and still got included.

A "pro" unit was ONE possibility of a Nintendo Switch system built with the improved performance ceiling of the Tegra X1+, and while clearly they looked into it, they ended up going with a design that improves on battery life and is price optimised.

If they had gone with a Pro, it would have had likely NO impact on the timing or performance of the new system, T239 has been in development since before the OLED Model was released.
Interesting, thanks for the well worded response.

If the Switch 2 has to have like a 12 year life cycle due to a lack of mobile hardware improvements in the near future, how should they plan for a very extended console life cycle?
I don't think this is all that impossible situation given the Game Boy, and how software and technology has plateaued a lot.

Beyond just making compelling games throughout, I think keeping third party developers on board would be really important. Keeping it relevant beyond Nintendo releases is something I feel Switch is currently struggling with in Europe. Furthermore, while this pretty much presupposes that revisions can't have performance boosts, that doesn't preclude us getting them anyway, a-la Lite and OLED. Worthwhile revisions with quality of life improvements absolutely help console lifespans, as we saw with Switch and Game Boy.

The idea that Nintendo doesn't want to move to next gen development or doesn't care about graphics is laughable
I think that's we mix up. What is Nintendo stance on graphics and performance. Nintendo will always give us a very great presentation for a game but never sacrifice or severely limit performance for the presentation. Like a lot of people said here. If Nintendo can fo 4K 60, fine, but if they have to go 1080p60 they certainly will over 4k 30 and below.

Or you know you could watch videos of Doom Eternal, Witcher 3 and every other third party port (with a few exceptions) and see how much of the actual graphical effects are missing, the piss poor framerates, the shit tier resolutions and character models that look like they took a bath in vaseline, missing textures, etc. You guys don't like my opinion, that's fine but it's absolutely silly to pretend that Switch games come anywhere close to the visuals of a PS4 let alone more modern consoles.
This has gotten hostile, and it's partially my fault, I apologize for how hard I came down last night.

I agree with you that the visuals take a downgrade for those ports - but those aren't Nintendo games. If the question is "why is Nintendo holding on to Switch 1 for so long?" I don't think the answer is "3rd party ports don't look great." I feel like we've sorta lost the thread at that point.

Yes, Nintendo's visuals are, from the perspective of resolution, frame rate, and polygon count, behind the current gen and last gen. But that's just a function of the hardware's performance. The things that make games look bad when blown up to 4k and on a giant screen are, for the most part, texture resolution and lighting engines. The extra detail tends to show where all the seams are.

Nintendo's rendering technology is modern. I wouldn't call it cutting edge - but it's certainly more advanced than last gen. That's partially because, while the hardware is much less powerful, it is much more modern. And Nintendo was doing PS4 era rendering work in the Wii U era - after all Breath of the Wild was only "cross gen" because the Wii U got cut off early.

Nintendo, software wise, is more prepared to go into the next gen than Sony and Microsoft were. Their tech is as advanced as theirs was at the time of the transition, but by transitioning a little later, Nintendo can rely on mature third party tools, and staff from a pool of artists and developers who have already spent 4-5 years in the "next gen" environment.

You should get the W for correctly predicting that the Switch 2 wasn't coming "yet." I just think that your rationale here conflates "powerful hardware" with "advanced software"

Oh man. I'll admit that I myself am guilty of not giving the switch hardware enough credit a lot of the time, but sometimes you really need to see side by side videos of games on older hardware. Both Skyrim and Quake 4 look far worse than I remember. At least I can give Skyrim somewhat of a pass because its world is massive and that probably takes a lot of resources. But I'm surprised how bad Quake 4 looks. Did Id actually develop that? Frame rate is terrible!
I tried to be "fair" by comparing games of comparable scope and setting. The style difference between Prime and Quake 4 is huge, but "space + FPS" was what I was going for. Or open world fantasy.

But you could point out that Raven Software is hardly Retro Studios, and that Quake 4 is an early game for the 360 while Prime Remastered is a late game for the Switch. So here is a comparison more favorable to last gen.

Here is Arkham City on the 360. Now this is an objectively attractive game. The art direction is excellent, and Rocksteady knows what the hell they are doing. And if you look at the Switch versions of these games, they're not much different. But let's compare the technology a little bit.

Arkham City is a UE3 title, before the UE4 PBR updates. PBR=Physically Based Rendering, which is really a family of techniques developed by Disney-Pixar and now pretty standard. The stuff to look for is how shiny things are in Batman. Lighting bounces off objects harshly because they don't have subsurface scattering (the thing where materials like skin are partially translucent, partially opaque). This is Rocksteady absolutely nailing the visual design to match the tech. This gritty, rainy, dark city makes the weakness of the rendering technique look like design choices, but it's clearly a technological limitation first, not an artistic choice.

Now compare that to Prime Remastered. There are less opportunities to see it at work, but check out Samus's suit. The way the shine on the metal is slightly matte, instead of really glossy? With UE3 rendering, objects can cast light, but all that the rendering engine can do is increase brightness where the light hits an object, or decrease it when it's in shadow. The Prime engine here can detect that there is a textured material that scatters light, and correctly handles the reflection.

Rocksteady has neon lights everywhere in Arkham City, but notice that they're surrounded by a sort of foggy halo of colored light? The effect is great, but these objects aren't actually lighting themselves up, they're not casting colored light elsewhere. They're not emissive. But right at the top of Prime Remastered, Samus lands on the freighter and there is that first tutorial where you have to hit all the red lights to open the door. Each light is... a light! It's lighting itself up, it's lighting the objects around it the correct color, and when Samus changes them to green, they change the lighting on the objects around them.

I'm not a rendering expert, so I am sure that there is more stuff here that I'm missing. Like, I'm not 100 on what's going on with the self shadowing technique on Arkham, but it looks like they're supplementing with textures that are heavily shadowed, instead of doing self shadowing on objects like faces. But I could be wrong.

Regardless, Batman is pushing UE3 tech to it's limits, and the game is beautifully designed. Metroid is an update to a much older game, and has to pull some effects back because of the notorious bandwidth limit on the Switch hardware. But from a technique perspective, Prime Remastered is a generation ahead, more like a late era UE4 game.

This is absolutely, 100% false. I don't want to get into the middle of this argument because I think it's silly, but this is just factually not true. There is not a single graphics engineer on the planet who would agree with you.

Generations plural? Like, 360 era? You're telling me that Prime Remastered looks like Quake 4? You think that Breath of the Wild looks like Skyrim? An engine that delivers physically based rendering with subsurface scattering, screen space ambient occlusion, global illumination, volumetric lighting?

You'd be hard pressed to find a 360/PS3 game that implements one of these things, much less all of them. And yes, you are correct that Nintendo's hardware is closer to this generation in terms of horsepower. But doesn't that tell you something about the development team that they're delivering far more advanced graphics at higher resolutions than the 360 era?

In terms of "generations" every advanced technique from the PS4/Xbox One era is bog-fucking-standard in a Nintendo Switch game. You could perhaps say that Nintendo's games are one generation behind. But you know what, the Switch is a 7 year old console. It came out in the last generation, it should be surprising that it's got last generation rendering techniques.

Of course, what ultra modern rendering tech is missing? Ray tracing? Sure, I guess, but show me the lengthy list of ray tracing titles on the 4 TFLOP Series S, and then we can discuss why Nintendo might not implement it on their 0.4 TFLOP hardware.

But their shared engine from Switch Sports to Tears of the Kingdom uses radiosity and probe based GI, basically "set it up just like you would for ray tracing" lighting engines, very similar to Lumen. The idea that Nintendo is afraid of ray tracing is silly.

Whatever you think about what Nintendo's whole deal is, that's all on you, but this is an overblown statement that demonstrates no working knowledge of graphical technology. "I don't like how Switch games look" is a reasonable statement. "NIntendo's graphics stack is multiple generations behind" is patently false.
👏🏿...👏🏿..👏🏿.👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿

Most people who says that it is just to trash Nintendo or any console they don't like.

Like I see some people say that Pokémon scarlet and violet look like a PS2 game. Like the PS2 can handle 3 gigs of ram and use all that normal mapping.

The only question I have (and I'm sure other people have as well) is how much Nintendo values VRR as a feature?

I believe how much Nintendo values VRR as a feature determines whether or not the Nintendo Switch's successor features HDMI 2.1 and a 120 Hz display.

I'm trying to think of reasons, but apart from certain niche edge cases, I can't think of reasons, especially for portable mode.

Of course, when docked and connected to a 120Hz TV, it would be interesting if there's a way where Nintendo wants to facilitate a 40fps mode like Sony is doing and you get the best worlds, but I presume it's very game-dependent. 3rd party devs already have their hands full at times and most 40fps modes are provided by 1st party (Sony). Portable mode and a 120Hz display would be interesting for any game that supports it or 40fps modes, but it will consume more battery in general and having a 40fps mode doesn't provide much additional value for a portable mode (IMO).
I play Genshin Impact targeting 120fps on my mobile, but the frame rate often hovers below that and I just lock it to 60 for the consistency. The only other game that's 120Hz for me is Wild Rift. Pokemon Unite is 60fps also. Even on the PC handhelds, 120fps is primarily for light indie titles.

For VRR on docked mode it would be interesting, any 30fps game can have some unlocked mode with proper LFC under 48fps (where it'll likely be). In portable mode, you just want that long battery life with an optimised profile (IMO), so playing around with VRR sounds sub-optimal.

What would be interesting is if Nintendo would opt for a display that can set its refresh rate at an arbitrary frequency, like the Steam Deck and 40Hz.

So in the end, based on some points raised in this rambling I'd argue they'll likely won't see much interest in supporting it. Maybe 120Hz in the display settings, but just for general support.

We have been in the dooming phase for 3 years now... With short interludes in which we trusted insiders who gave us fake news...
I can never get the dooming phase. If it was like 15 years ago, maybe. Now? No Nintendo is more connected with their audience. They understand what they need to do to keep that audience. Switch 2 is good enough. Hopefully it will have better online experience than the Switch. That would make it near the PS5 and Xbox online experience but cheaper.

Idk, what is to doom about. Ask yourself if the people who bought the Switch are not the grandma and soccer mom like the wii days and Nintendo has great games coming out on a regular basis, than what's the problem? What is their to doom about?

If the Switch 2 has to have like a 12 year life cycle due to a lack of mobile hardware improvements in the near future, how should they plan for a very extended console life cycle?
I’ve guesstimated that the Switch 3 will be peak handheld technology and what comes next is AR/VR

Alex on DF Weekly talked about Ubisoft Massive's GDC presentations (which aren't available for free) on ray tracing and has some insight on the costs

• tlas is built on the cpu on consoles due to API differences
  • Snowdrop is using a custom RT API for Avatar due to the console RT API not being completed when development started
  • skinned models aren't in the BVH
  • image.png
  • image.png
  • on pc, software RT mode uses the custom RT API
  • the hardware RT mode favors Nvidia and Intel
  • Snowdrop uses multiple variations of tracing, each one adding more detail that the other missed
  • screen space initially, then hit-based, then ddgi-styled probes
  • image.png
  • image.png
  • image.png
  • Massive shown off performance comparisons of just the probe tracing between the Series Duo and an RTX 4080
  • image.png
  • with just a 1440p and 1/4 RT res, RT cost 15ms+ along. after optimizations, cost 7ms+
  • image.png
  • while Nixxes likes to pull data over the PCIe bus, which can cause thrashing, Massive wants to pull at little as possible and keep data in vram
  • this lead to there not being any texture settings in Snowdrop as every texture is handled and streamed on a per mip basis
  • at the lowest quality, 4GB is needed for textures
  • Massive is looking into implementing Sampler Feedback for better texture streaming
  • reflections use variable rate shading to vary RT reflection quality
  • image.png

Yes, Nintendo's visuals are, from the perspective of resolution, frame rate, and polygon count, behind the current gen and last gen. But that's just a function of the hardware's performance. The things that make games look bad when blown up to 4k and on a giant screen are, for the most part, texture resolution and lighting engines. The extra detail tends to show where all the seams are.
Nintendo's rendering technology is modern. I wouldn't call it cutting edge - but it's certainly more advanced than last gen. That's partially because, while the hardware is much less powerful, it is much more modern. And Nintendo was doing PS4 era rendering work in the Wii U era - after all Breath of the Wild was only "cross gen" because the Wii U got cut off early.
I think he's got a point in that although Nintendo's rendering pipeline is as reasonably modern as it gets, it is running at the absolute worst conditions it could possibly be running on and even with that, performance and IQ consistently suffers with first party and third party alike. Those 0.4 TFLOPS are being stretched very thin across the board which led to everything else taking a hit to allow said rendering techniques at the first place (geometry, lightning models, textures, alpha effects due to memory bandwidth, etc). This led to objectively more advanced games and better futureproofing, but major structural compromises reminding you more of the PS360 over any the following two gens... With the specs that are known, i'm confident those days are finally over.

I think he's got a point in that although Nintendo's rendering pipeline is as reasonably modern as it gets, it is running at the absolute worst conditions it could possibly be running on
That seems opposite to the point of not wanting to move on to new hardware because it will increase development complexity, if they're already facing the development complexities without all the benefits.

That seems opposite to the point of not wanting to move on to new hardware because it will increase development complexity, if they're already facing the development complexities without all the benefits.
That's precisely why many people in here have argued against this generational leap, it doesn't make sense in any case. Of course development complexity will be increasing, but their current constraints are already just as severe pretty much running PBR and all the techniques that entail it with an 0.4 TFLOP GPU (at best). One thing doesn't invalidate the other.

Alex on DF Weekly talked about Ubisoft Massive's GDC presentations (which aren't available for free) on ray tracing and has some insight on the costs

• tlas is built on the cpu on consoles due to API differences
  • Snowdrop is using a custom RT API for Avatar due to the console RT API not being completed when development started
  • skinned models aren't in the BVH
  • image.png
  • image.png
  • on pc, software RT mode uses the custom RT API
  • the hardware RT mode favors Nvidia and Intel
  • Snowdrop uses multiple variations of tracing, each one adding more detail that the other missed
  • screen space initially, then hit-based, then ddgi-styled probes
  • image.png
  • image.png
  • image.png
  • Massive shown off performance comparisons of just the probe tracing between the Series Duo and an RTX 4080
  • image.png
  • with just a 1440p and 1/4 RT res, RT cost 15ms+ along. after optimizations, cost 7ms+
  • image.png
  • while Nixxes likes to pull data over the PCIe bus, which can cause thrashing, Massive wants to pull at little as possible and keep data in vram
  • this lead to there not being any texture settings in Snowdrop as every texture is handled and streamed on a per mip basis
  • at the lowest quality, 4GB is needed for textures
  • Massive is looking into implementing Sampler Feedback for better texture streaming
  • reflections use variable rate shading to vary RT reflection quality
  • image.png
Tired of waiting for these GDC talks to show up somewhere I can watch them!

This has gotten hostile, and it's partially my fault, I apologize for how hard I came down last night.

I agree with you that the visuals take a downgrade for those ports - but those aren't Nintendo games. If the question is "why is Nintendo holding on to Switch 1 for so long?" I don't think the answer is "3rd party ports don't look great." I feel like we've sorta lost the thread at that point.

Nintendo, software wise, is more prepared to go into the next gen than Sony and Microsoft were. Their tech is as advanced as theirs was at the time of the transition, but by transitioning a little later, Nintendo can rely on mature third party tools, and staff from a pool of artists and developers who have already spent 4-5 years in the "next gen" environment.

You should get the W for correctly predicting that the Switch 2 wasn't coming "yet." I just think that your rationale here conflates "powerful hardware" with "advanced software"

I tried to be "fair" by comparing games of comparable scope and setting. The style difference between Prime and Quake 4 is huge, but "space + FPS" was what I was going for. Or open world fantasy.

But you could point out that Raven Software is hardly Retro Studios, and that Quake 4 is an early game for the 360 while Prime Remastered is a late game for the Switch. So here is a comparison more favorable to last gen.

Here is Arkham City on the 360. Now this is an objectively attractive game. The art direction is excellent, and Rocksteady knows what the hell they are doing. And if you look at the Switch versions of these games, they're not much different. But let's compare the technology a little bit.

Arkham City is a UE3 title, before the UE4 PBR updates. PBR=Physically Based Rendering, which is really a family of techniques developed by Disney-Pixar and now pretty standard. The stuff to look for is how shiny things are in Batman. Lighting bounces off objects harshly because they don't have subsurface scattering (the thing where materials like skin are partially translucent, partially opaque). This is Rocksteady absolutely nailing the visual design to match the tech. This gritty, rainy, dark city makes the weakness of the rendering technique look like design choices, but it's clearly a technological limitation first, not an artistic choice.

Now compare that to Prime Remastered. There are less opportunities to see it at work, but check out Samus's suit. The way the shine on the metal is slightly matte, instead of really glossy? With UE3 rendering, objects can cast light, but all that the rendering engine can do is increase brightness where the light hits an object, or decrease it when it's in shadow. The Prime engine here can detect that there is a textured material that scatters light, and correctly handles the reflection.

Rocksteady has neon lights everywhere in Arkham City, but notice that they're surrounded by a sort of foggy halo of colored light? The effect is great, but these objects aren't actually lighting themselves up, they're not casting colored light elsewhere. They're not emissive. But right at the top of Prime Remastered, Samus lands on the freighter and there is that first tutorial where you have to hit all the red lights to open the door. Each light is... a light! It's lighting itself up, it's lighting the objects around it the correct color, and when Samus changes them to green, they change the lighting on the objects around them.

I'm not a rendering expert, so I am sure that there is more stuff here that I'm missing. Like, I'm not 100 on what's going on with the self shadowing technique on Arkham, but it looks like they're supplementing with textures that are heavily shadowed, instead of doing self shadowing on objects like faces. But I could be wrong.

Regardless, Batman is pushing UE3 tech to it's limits, and the game is beautifully designed. Metroid is an update to a much older game, and has to pull some effects back because of the notorious bandwidth limit on the Switch hardware. But from a technique perspective, Prime Remastered is a generation ahead, more like a late era UE4 game.

Your contributions here on the forums greatly outpace and outclass that of my own and I do want to say that I and everyone else here appreciates it. I lack the more in depth understanding of engine systems and technical details that you do and I appreciate how you're able to help break things down for some of us here who don't have the experience with coding or chip design that you have. I do understand much of what you say but not at the level that you do so I thank you for the valuable information over the years even if I don't directly engage all that often.

I've just been anxious to see the new system because I believe it will be a rather significant upgrade over what we have today and so the anxiety from all the years of waiting sometimes kicks in and floods out into words on a text prompt. I hope like many others we won't have to wait much longer to finally get some information on this new system. Nintendo certainly kept us waiting!

yXGwQZ.gif

Periodic planned incremental performance upgrades to the basic design. With each and every upgrade measurably and discernably better than the previous one.

I've just been anxious to see the new system because I believe it will be a rather significant upgrade over what we have today and so the anxiety from all the years of waiting sometimes kicks in and floods out into words on a text prompt. I hope like many others we won't have to wait much longer to finally get some information on this new system. Nintendo certainly kept us waiting!

yXGwQZ.gif
The reason why I'm antsy about the successor is because of what Nintendo could accomplish from it. Switch is an amazing portable, but in terms of a "ceiling" Nintendo has available to them, it's not a big leap over Wii U, which had set their prior "ceiling". And that released back in 2012, over a decade ago. With the Switch successor, that ceiling is going to shoot way up. We've seen what 3rd-parties could do with a higher ceiling for a while, but we've never seen what Nintendo could do.

Periodic planned incremental performance upgrades to the basic design. With each and every upgrade measurably and discernably better than the previous one.

5nm+ to 3nm to 2nm are all massive changes that would lead to not incredible gains. You could do an architectural leap I guess? But that would also be extremely complicated and very complicated for development as well (causing devs to basically have to do four separate SKUs with old/new and handheld/docked versions)

The reason why I'm antsy about the successor is because of what Nintendo could accomplish from it. Switch is an amazing portable, but in terms of a "ceiling" Nintendo has available to them, it's not a big leap over Wii U, which had set their prior "ceiling". And that released back in 2012, over a decade ago. With the Switch successor, that ceiling is going to shoot way up. We've seen what 3rd-parties could do with a higher ceiling for a while, but we've never seen what Nintendo could do.
I can't agree so much with this.

Look at Breath of the wild. This game was built for a CPU where the architecture was in the late 90s. Tears of the kingdom and Mario odyssey all on three cores. Even the games that were technically bad like Scarlet and violet can be redeem and next iteration can vastly improve. I am hyped.

Last edited:
Do screen and battery upgrades count for the purposes of this question? If you can't do much about the power, might as well offer improved presentation and battery life to entice continued hardware purchases over that period.

Simple. They won’t. Hardware power won‘t be the focus for what comes after NG. They‘ll continue to innovate in other ways. Also we can’t accurately predict what breakthroughs in the chip industry’ll happen in the next 7 years. And if it has a 12 year lifecycle, which I highly doubt, they‘ll just continue to innovate with games utilizing their innovative (both accessorie- and built-in-) hardware.

Not super clear that it can be easy to get away with less effective denoisers in a low bounce, screen space and cube maps and probe fallback, small BVH, low resolution RT solution.

All these hacks and tricks lead to a lot of ugly noise.
the inverse hasn't been shown either. especially when IQ is a "to taste" quality. and considering there are example of RTGI on weaker hardware, solutions exist, just might not be the ones Massive used for these builds

Rich from DF saying that he doesn’t buy “Switch 2 being more powerful than Steam Deck” is so strange to me. Like in handheld? Sure. But in docked even conservative estimates put it beyond the Deck.
I think hes talking about handheld, with it being the lowest common denominator. Docked is most of the time going to be just more pixels.

And if you go by the traditional definition of gpu power (raster performance), a 1,6 teraflop RDNA 2 gpu will handily outperform a similarly teraflopped Ampere GPU. But turn on DLSS/ RT and the table turns.

Rich from DF saying that he doesn’t buy “Switch 2 being more powerful than Steam Deck” is so strange to me. Like in handheld? Sure. But in docked even conservative estimates put it beyond the Deck.
It will be much powerful than SD also in handheld, is some hard pessimistism to said something like that, SD CPU is like 4 cores of Zen2 and GPU is 1.0-1.6 teraflops depends how you will clock that

It'll depend, for example Sege genesis was faster than the SNES.

Like Steam deck, might have more horse power than the Switch 2, but the Switch 2 will have better RT, DLSS, Battery and Developers who'll exclusively port and make games for the Switch 2.

Like Steam deck, might have more horse power than the Switch 2, but the Switch 2 will have better RT, DLSS, Battery and Developers who'll exclusively port and make games for the Switch 2.
Also the Steam Deck is a PC. I bet a modded Switch 2 would blow it out of the water (with similar battery life).

The fact that it will use its hardware differently and have bespoke ports was one of the things he mentioned, and that’s fair, but unless he was solely talking about handheld mode I just find him dismissing the idea that Switch 2 will be more powerful pretty weird. If it was weaker than Deck in docked that’d be a pretty sad generational leap. Considering the discussion was about the hardware’s power I find it weird that he wouldn’t mention he’s only talking about handheld mode, especially when one of the other comparison points in the discussion was Series S.

Also the Steam Deck is a PC. I bet a modded Switch 2 would blow it out of the water (with similar battery life).
I mean... When the Switch was launched, it was the most powerful handheld of it's time, wouldn't be surprised if we saw the same thing happening, since the Mobile market i think is stagnating with power.

Also i think most consumers, just wants to buy a game and a system and let it work and not tinkering with the Device, until it works, since PC and Consoles are two different markets.

By all rights, Nintendo wants the Switch 2 to not melt in the hands of its user, so underclocking it to the point of the device remaining stable makes sense, and thus being slightly more power/equal to the Steam Deck makes a lot of sense. It's worth understanding that this absolutely does not mean that the Switch 2 is underpowered by any sort of stretch. The docked version of the Switch 2 should prove that without any sort of counterpoint that the device is far more powerful than the Steam Deck, and there's a lot of innate perks that will likely make the Switch 2 more powerful when in handheld (namely the ARM architecture, Standardised DLSS, RT Cores etc.)

The fact that it will use its hardware differently and have bespoke ports was one of the things he mentioned, and that’s fair, but unless he was solely talking about handheld mode I just find him dismissing the idea that Switch 2 will be more powerful pretty weird. If it was weaker than Deck in docked that’d be a pretty sad generational leap. Considering the discussion was about the hardware’s power I find it weird that he wouldn’t mention he’s only talking about handheld mode, especially when one of the other comparison points in the discussion was Series S.
Valid, but i think Natively the Switch 2 and Steam deck might be on a similar level (If we're being pessimistic) but, just with DLSS, the Switch 2 will blow the steam deck out of the water.

I would recommend, that you watch this video about DLSS and DLSS will luckily be upgraded daily for the switch 2, since we're currently in DLSS 3.7

Please refrain from initiating conversation around a banned game even indirectly. -xghost777, ngpdrew, NabsicoFelt, BassForever
We have another source code leak of one ban game that we all expect to be on switch 2. I wonder if someone will work on a switch port.

Last edited:
In fact, the Switch port of Kingdom Come deliverance implements more modern techniques and technical features that were present only in the PC version. Obviously, the resolution is not the same as the other versions, but it uses more advanced techniques and features than the other console versions.
Great point and another great example. I remember watching the analysis from DF not all that long ago and was quite impressed.

It goes that show what older hardware is capable off when paired with modern rendering techniques.

Last edited:
By all rights, Nintendo wants the Switch 2 to not melt in the hands of its user, so underclocking it to the point of the device remaining stable makes sense, and thus being slightly more power/equal to the Steam Deck makes a lot of sense. It's worth understanding that this absolutely does not mean that the Switch 2 is underpowered by any sort of stretch. The docked version of the Switch 2 should prove that without any sort of counterpoint that the device is far more powerful than the Steam Deck, and there's a lot of innate perks that will likely make the Switch 2 more powerful when in handheld (namely the ARM architecture, Standardised DLSS, RT Cores etc.)
I mean I said “sure” to it potentially being weaker in handheld, my entire point is that it’s weird that he doesn’t buy it being stronger in general. He might have just meant handheld, but he didn’t really say that.
Valid, but i think Natively the Switch 2 and Steam deck might be on a similar level (If we're being pessimistic) but, just with DLSS, the Switch 2 will blow the steam deck out of the water.

I would recommend, that you watch this video about DLSS and DLSS will luckily be upgraded daily for the switch 2, since we're currently in DLSS 3.7

Bro, I know what DLSS is and I’ve seen this video, lol.

EDIT: Sorry if that came off mean, I just found it genuinely funny.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom