• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I don't think it is different here, from a hardware standpoint. If you're buying a GPU, you care about the performance and the dollar amount you're spending for it.
I meant it in the context of the PS4 since that was brought up and that has way higher Fill-rate than Redacted.

The 5700XT and the 3060 8G for example have the same ROP count and similar enough filtrate and offer similar performance even with different FP32 and FP16 and the latter having lower memory bandwidth. This being for RDNA based cards.

But for a GCN based card like the Vega 64, which has 64 ROPs like the 3060 8G and it is 98.94 vs 113.7 in fillrate, being 87.01% of the 3060 8G. The Vega 64 has similar FP32 performance but has much higher FP16 performance, not counting TC as those are separate in this and games won’t use those for FP16 unless made with it in mind, it’s only use in games is DLSS. Anyway, the 64 has way higher Memory Bandwidth than the 3060 8G. But, the 3060 outperforms the 64 by about 21%.

It’s possible the high memory b/w is doing a lot of the heavy lifting here to close the gap between the two cards.

Speaking of the cache situation, I think REDACTED might have a System Level Cache like other Orin chips that can help with the small 1MB L2 cache that REDACTED might have on its GPU.

I think it will particularly because to have Point of Coherency you’d need a SLC if it’s the standard ARM, unless they make one that is better than ARM’s like the one that Apple makes in their SoCs.

Other SOCs since 2017/2018 have a SLC to them for the unification and coherency. And Orin while Nvidia could have designed one and had it reside in the L3 cache as that is also possible like with Xavier which houses the PoC+U in the L3, they didn’t on ORIN. And unless Nintendo is perhaps special in which they were able to implement something better than what Arm offers for just T239, I’d expect a SLC even if 4MB.

Maybe that’s why T239 doesn’t have the 4MB of L2, as that would have been redundant for the purpose of the SLC that could be used when needed. Besides the possible reason that @Dakhil mentions in which having a smaller SoC would increase the yield if at SEC, having a 1+4 would still have better yield than a 4+4 and be cheaper too.

What Switch successor can Nintendo bring to the world when:

• non mass market (and thus only expensive) cartridge solutions exist that could exploit the potential of UE5?
  • the usage of ray tracing is prohibitively expensive on a mobile GPU?
  • any CPU that fits in the Switch form factor will make the port of current gen consoles potentially as challenging as they were during the Switch Era?
Nintendo engineers are having a humongous task in their hands if they have to solve everything that is above while keeping the Switch profitable.
  • UE5 features don't have hard storage requirements. As a developer, you're either pushing the limit, or you're not. Most aren't going to push that data streaming limit due to their design
  • Then don't make use of expensive RT. Phones have ray tracing support now, so "mobile hardware" doesn't carry the same weight. RT is as flexible as rasterization
  • So no different than the Switch now. And that saw some "miracle" ports
If you want to "solve" all those, you don't make a dockage tablet. If you want to meet the floor for current gen, then a tablet is more than capable of it.

Nintendo engineers are having a humongous task in their hands if they have to solve everything that is above while keeping the Switch profitable.
How did you conclude they have to solve anything in that list to keep it profitable?

Nintendo is profiting more with the Switch than in the Wii+DS era or Sony ever did. Their handheld division has been profitable for 3 decades as well. All of this with little to no AAA 3rd party support.

But to be profitable, the Switch successor needs to have a super fast physical media, which XB/PS/PC doesn't have, not struggle with RT like XBS and most PC do, and have a CPU on par with stationary systems when 125+ mi were fine with a worse compromise in the Switch?

How big is the L2 cache on GPU’s like RTX 3050 and the latest 4060 Ti? Is 8MB too big for Drake?

Seeing how the 4060 Ti has 32MB of L2 cache paired with a 128bit bus (288GB/s bandwidth) manages to trade blows with the RTX 3070 on a 256bit bus (448GB/S).

I've been thinking about it again and eventually changed my mind about one thing (though I still think it's unlikely): Nintendo could perfectly do a standard Direct this week and announce next gen hardware in July.

At first I thought it wouldn't make much sense, but the Direct would be focused on H2 Switch games to reassure everyone who owns a Switch (and that means a lot by now), with possibly "major" games (like Prime 4 and 2/3 remasters), GC ports/remasters as well and some other first & third party (also, MK8D and Splatoon 3 DLC, maybe Zelda).

It makes sense to show that Switch is still going to have support for the current year in the first place, to ensure a smooth transition with their next generation and avoiding the situation where some people see the Switch 2 and think their current Switch is becoming obsolete really quick.

Doing a current Switch-focused Direct after the next gen reveal is what would actually be weird or even harmful, and probably something they don't want.
I'm not a marketing expert but in a situation where they have to announce a new generation while the current console is still popular and doing well, and if it's all supposed to happen this summer, this is probably the best way to announce things - or the least unfortunate if you'd prefer.

I find it extremely unlikely we'll see a hardware announcement if this supposed Direct will be held this week. But i do think a seperate reveal, maybe in July with a release in fall 2023, could be a possibility if we're working with Nintendo's past patterns, since they announced both the Lite and OLEDs in July of their respective year.

However given how strong the Switch is still going thanks to TotK and if the Direct delivers & spreads hype, i genuinely don't see a reason for Nintendo to compete with themselves during the holiday season. They're gonna let the Switch go out with a bang before revealing the next generation.

Edit: @L_esson you really beat me to it lol

Was there actually expectation of hardware in the direct? Weren’t most expecting this to be some event later…?

Well if you're Team 2023, June/July are about the last possible months to announce ReDraketed for 2023.
I do agree they kinda would like to have a somewhat short timeframe between announcement and release, but 5 to 6 months should really between announcement and release for marketing stuff.

That said, i once again have to tell people (not you, generally) that a Direct won't have any new hardware. New hardware as in new system/successor.

These things always had their own events/PR/streams.

How big is the L2 cache on GPU’s like RTX 3050 and the latest 4060 Ti? Is 8MB too big for Drake?

Seeing how the 4060 Ti has 32MB of L2 cache paired with a 128bit bus (288GB/s bandwidth) manages to trade blows with the RTX 3070 on a 256bit bus (448GB/S).
3050 has 2 MB of L2 cache. the problem for drake is that memory doesn't scale as well as other parts of the die, so less cache might be due to trying to maximize the area

I posted a few days ago about storage, and I realised that the data from Notebookcheck I was looking at is both extensive enough, and easy enough to dump into a spreadsheet, that I could do a quick comparison between storage in the smartphone market today compared to how it was when the Switch launched.

For the comparison, I've taken the results of every phone in the dataset released in the past two years (228 phones) and compared it to every phone released within the two years prior to Switch's launch (212 phones). There are a handful of cases where I've had to fix obvious labelling errors (eg eMMC where it should state UFS and vice versa) and I got rid of a couple of results which had no capacity or storage type data, but otherwise the data was in pretty good shape.

First, on storage types, here's the situation in the two years prior to Switch's launch:

Code:
Type    Percentage
eMMC    86.8%
UFS 2    8.0%
N/A      5.2%

There were a few cases where it's not specified (marked N/A here), but the market was overwhelmingly eMMC at the time, with only a handful of high-end phones moving to UFS 2.

Here's what it looks like for the most recent two years:

Code:
Type    Percentage
eMMC    19.3%
UFS 2   37.7%
UFS 3   37.3%
UFS 4    5.7%

The situation has flipped, with 80.7% of the market now on UFS. UFS 4 occupies a similar position as UFS 2 did when Switch launched, being used on a smaller number of high-end devices.

For capacities, here's what it looked like for the two years prior to Switch's launch:

Code:
Capacity    Percentage
4GB          3.3%
8GB         16.6%
16GB        39.3%
32GB        30.8%
64GB         7.6%
128GB        2.4%

The median capacity at the time was 16GB and the average was 25.3GB. Here's the distribution for the last two years:

Code:
Capacity    Percentage
32GB         4.8%
64GB        16.7%
128GB       41.7%
256GB       29.8%
512GB        7.0%

The median capacity here is 128GB and the average is 177.8GB. It's interesting that this distribution tracks so closely to the one from 6 years prior; just multiply the pre-Switch capacities by 8 and it's pretty much the same distribution today.

In terms of speed, the average speed in the two years prior to Switch launching was 208MB/s, compared to 1,190MB/s in the last two years. I also took the speeds across a few percentiles to indicate how things have changed in different segments of the market. Here they are for the pre-Switch dataset:

Code:
Percentile    Speed
25%           137.30 MB/s
50%           196.80 MB/s
75%           248.10 MB/s

And here are the percentiles for the last two years:

Code:
Percentile    Speed
25%             498.53 MB/s
50%             975.05 MB/s
75%           1,817.10 MB/s

Notebookcheck do have price data in their reviews, but unfortunately they don't seem to provide any way to include it in their search. As a quick sense check to make sure the data is comparable in terms of price (ie that Notebookcheck haven't shifted to reviewing more expensive phones, which would skew the data), I compared the median phone in terms of storage speed in each of the datasets.

In the data for the two years prior to Switch, the median phone was the LG X Power K220, which had 16GB of eMMC with read speeds of 196.8MB/s, and a listed price of €199. For the last two years, the median phone was the Realme 9i, which had 128GB of UFS 2.1 with read speeds of 976MB/s and a listed price of €220. This is a bit lower than the inflation-adjusted price of the K220, which would suggest that the prices of phones being reviewed are pretty consistent across both datasets.

One final caveat to add; I chose a two year window to get a large number of phones and a representative dataset, but in the case of the last two years particularly that covers a rapidly changing market. Phones released during the start of that window were heavily impacted by the chip shortage and high flash prices, whereas flash is now over-supplied and prices have dropped by almost 50% in the last year. I don't think this will impact speeds very much, as that's more limited by what the SoC supports, but we may see a shift to higher capacity over this year as the drop in costs impacts design choices.

@Quangcute03 @oldpuck @Thraktor with respect to the ROPs, the TX1 was over provisioned iirc with ROPs especially for a mobile device that it didn’t seem to need that many for what it was meant for. And I’ve noticed nvidia GPUs with lower ROP counts seem to match an equivalent AMD card that has, many times at least with Turing and later even with lower fill rate, maybe it’s different here…?
Honestly agree here.
The Tegra X1 never really seemingly encountered any real fill-rate problems. Not at least before Memory or CPU became a problem.

Even when doing sophisticated upscaling techniques like Monolithsoft's TSR in Xenoblade 3, the game gets memory limited when alpha-effects are in place which makes sense considering the speed of the LPDDR.

Heck, the main symptom of Fill-Rate may be how low the internal resolution for Xenoblade 2/3 has to be for it to work as it does with how graphics-pushing the X engine can be at times in regards to scale and quality of things like material properties and geometric complexity for environments.

Which DLSS already covers that for Drake, but something else to point out really is that do we have the specific data on the ROPs in Drake @oldpuck @Thraktor?
Or is that just assuming off the ROPs/GPC in Ampere/Lovelace.
I'm asking this as no Ampere card has had less than 32ROPs outside of the Binnned down Orin variations (Orin 32, the Orin NX duo, the lattermost breaking down to only 8ROPs).

Even the 10SM A2 card has 32ROPs still and that is a derivative of GA107.

It just feels weird to me that they'd not up the ROPs to at least 24 like the Orin 32GB (14SMs) and purposely limit it to 16ROPs. Especially as Drake is running some variation of customization to the architecture beyond what was done with Orin.

I know we've talked about it ad nauseam at this point, but I find it odd that there haven't really been any huge rumblings of hardware since the whole Mochizuki fiasco almost two years ago. Before then, it seemed like you would hear something every other month that the Switch Pro is coming out between insiders and YouTubers. Not that I think it means all that much, but you'd think we'd hear even fake rumblings about a successor, like some clout chaser with a somewhat decent track record, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe I'm not looking toward the right places, but it's still peculiar, nonetheless. Maybe Nintendo really is cracking down on leaks, maybe insiders have learned their lesson and are keeping what they know close to their chest, maybe sources just aren't willing to talk, or maybe the time just isn't right. I know a dozen or so pages ago, we talked about how random and volatile leaks actually are, so maybe it's just that.

Either way, between the supposed tape-out, Nintendo's weirdly front loaded 1H and seemingly empty 2H, and Furukawa's vagueness regarding future hardware, 2023 is still in the cards for me, rumblings or no rumblings. This week may very well be the moment of truth.
I agree with the reasons you've listed above, but I'd like to add another possible reason while there have been so few rumblings ...

Last year I saw next to zero reference to Drake, the Lapsu$ leak, T239 etc in the media or YouTube that I consume (except this thread of course). That's changed a little in the last couple of months, obviously with Nintendo Prime doing a whole video based on this thread, but also Digital Foundry and Moores Law Is Dead have found the coverage to speak the words T239 or Drake. I think part of the reason for this has been that they've been shy of referring to what was effectively stolen information, despite the analysis on this thread being some of the best sources of information about any new Nintendo hardware. And I think that's had an embargo affect on a lot of Switch 2 chatter, until any other sources of information come out.

What Switch successor can Nintendo bring to the world when:

• non mass market (and thus only expensive) cartridge solutions exist that could exploit the potential of UE5?
  • any CPU that fits in the Switch form factor will make the port of current gen consoles potentially as challenging as they were during the Switch Era?
This is much more specific than your original statement of "a more powerful Switch". They could make something that fails miserably on all of those counts and is still incredibly more powerful/capable than Switch. The bar of "easily get all multiplatform games with no difficulties" is too high to be realistic, yeah.

This is much more specific than your original statement of "a more powerful Switch". They could make something that fails miserably on all of those counts and is still incredibly more powerful/capable than Switch. The bar of "easily get all multiplatform games with no difficulties" is too high to be realistic, yeah.
Not quite. A Switch-like device coming from Nintendo in the future will have the task to be as popular as the current Switch is.

Can the Switch 2024/2025 replicate the success of the Switch 2017? Based on what we know of the parts available to Nintendo to assemble its console, it's fair to say that it's an ardous task.

Which is why I wonder if Nintendo will throw the towel when it comes to form factor and go stationary instead.

Not quite. A Switch-like device coming from Nintendo in the future will have the task to be as popular as the current Switch is.

Can the Switch 2024/2025 replicate the success of the Switch 2017? Based on what we know of the parts available to Nintendo to assemble its console, it's fair to say that it's an ardous task.

Which is why I wonder if Nintendo will throw the towel when it comes to form factor and go stationary instead.

lol what?

there's no reason a new Switch wouldn't be as successful as the original (at least over the longer term) on the contrary. at the minimum it's more customized, powerful hardware running what will undoubtedly be far more impressive first party titles and with the capacity to recieve all sorts of third party ports. this is why it's so bemusing Nintendo hasn't got something to market yet, it's an easy slam dunk. it doesn't need to re-invent the wheel or create new ways to play it just needs to be a more powerful Switch and the percentage of upgrading owners will easily sell it out for for forseeable future. it's really that simple.

This kind of aggressive dismissal towards someone else's opinion is not appropriate. You are being threadbanned for one week. - Irene, PixelKnight, Derachi, Josh5890

people did not buy Switch because of the hardware. this is a stupid as fuck conclusion

people did not buy Switch because of the hardware. this is a stupid as fuck conclusion
Sorry dude, but this post of yours is way below your standard.

My point is that it is difficult to replicate the Switch success in this day and age and justified my claims. You called me stupid? You? One of elder posters in this thread?

Really?

The switch is what almost 8 years old now, and its still Fairly popular going by sales. I don't see why a successor that keeps the hybrid form factor would struggle.

The switch is what almost 8 years old now, and its still Fairly popular going by sales. I don't see why a successor that keeps the hybrid form factor would struggle.
The Switch is actually just 6 years and 3 months old now but that doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. What matters is that we know Nintendo will keep the hybrid form factor because every piece of data that leaked from T239 corresponds to a powerful but efficent mobile chip with very modern features. It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to go with such a chip for a stationary console where they have more than enough room to keep it cool.
And that's completely ignoring the fact that Nintendo merged their handheld and console divisions together. I don't think they are willing to split them apart anytime soon. They need all the manpower in the world because game development time and costs have skyrocketed so much over the last few years.

Do you know any company which didn't follow up their most successful product ever because making it as much successful was an arduous task and instead released a product which wouldn't be half as profitable as that follow up would be?

Last edited:
Depending on what's announced in this upcoming Direct, it could put to bed any hopes of a release this year. Scarlett Violet DLC, new 2D Mario, some SNES + GC remakes, and potentially Metroid Prime 4 would give Nintendo a pretty stout second half lineup for 2023.

Honestly agree here.
The Tegra X1 never really seemingly encountered any real fill-rate problems. Not at least before Memory or CPU became a problem.

Even when doing sophisticated upscaling techniques like Monolithsoft's TSR in Xenoblade 3, the game gets memory limited when alpha-effects are in place which makes sense considering the speed of the LPDDR.

Heck, the main symptom of Fill-Rate may be how low the internal resolution for Xenoblade 2/3 has to be for it to work as it does with how graphics-pushing the X engine can be at times in regards to scale and quality of things like material properties and geometric complexity for environments.

Which DLSS already covers that for Drake, but something else to point out really is that do we have the specific data on the ROPs in Drake @oldpuck @Thraktor?
Or is that just assuming off the ROPs/GPC in Ampere/Lovelace.
I'm asking this as no Ampere card has had less than 32ROPs outside of the Binnned down Orin variations (Orin 32, the Orin NX duo, the lattermost breaking down to only 8ROPs).

Even the 10SM A2 card has 32ROPs still and that is a derivative of GA107.

It just feels weird to me that they'd not up the ROPs to at least 24 like the Orin 32GB (14SMs) and purposely limit it to 16ROPs. Especially as Drake is running some variation of customization to the architecture beyond what was done with Orin.
Yeah I do feel the same if they keep the number of ROPS at 16. Looking back at the leak I did find a place where there are mentions of ROP0 and ROP1, which I'm not really sure what that means but maybe it's referring to the ROP partition on the GPC. Also I did check and found a place where it define the L2 size as 1048576 (bytes?). Still I wish they increase the number of ROPS up, 16 feels kinda low respect to the device compute performance to be honest.

My point is that it is difficult to replicate the Switch success in this day and age and justified my claims. You called me stupid? You? One of elder posters in this thread?

Really?
nothing about hardware today says Nintendo will struggle to make Drake a success. it already ticks every single box you put forth previously. if it's still a hybrid, there's nothing stopping it from succeeding aside from Nintendo Vita-ing the system. so no, I don't think claims hold water

A big part of their success is from their form factor. From what we knows, the next Switch will keep the form factor and be much stronger. That's more than enough for most console buyer. Will it be as successful? We don't know but moving away from mobile to chase even more power is to move away from the very successful draw of the form factor to a draw of power. Power is not a guarantee of success as could be seen from current and past console generations.

As for your other point.
    • neither does Sony and Microsoft. They just installed straight to internal storage. Luckily Nintendo have the mass market internal storage UFS that work just as well.
    • Only NVDIA and Nintendo would know how feasible ray tracing is right now. Other console are also sacrificing a lot for ray tracing.
    • Leaks said better in some ways, worse in other. Difficulty in porting doesn't stop PS2, PS3, or Switch. If company want the audience, they make it work.

Last edited:
nothing about hardware today says Nintendo will struggle to make Drake a success. it already ticks every single box you put forth previously. if it's still a hybrid, there's nothing stopping it from succeeding aside from Nintendo Vita-ing the system. so no, I don't think claims hold water
I won't spend more time entertaining this discussion. You called me stupid and didn't have the courage to admit that you had a moment of weakness. The stage is yours. Enjoy it.

Last edited:
This is a very strict definition. SNES, not a more powerful NES. PS3, not a more powerful PS2. 3DS, not a more powerful DS.

I find it extremely unlikely we'll see a hardware announcement if this supposed Direct will be held this week. But i do think a seperate reveal, maybe in July with a release in fall 2023, could be a possibility if we're working with Nintendo's past patterns, since they announced both the Lite and OLEDs in July of their respective year.

However given how strong the Switch is still going thanks to TotK and if the Direct delivers & spreads hype, i genuinely don't see a reason for Nintendo to compete with themselves during the holiday season. They're gonna let the Switch go out with a bang before revealing the next generation.

Edit: @L_esson you really beat me to it lol
I still can't believe there was a time where TOTK was believed to come too late into the switch cycle to be considered a system seller... And here we are...

Mm, no. There’s not really any incentive to make a stationary system from them as it directly challenges one of the popular aspects of the switch. Nintendo’s strongest lineage of systems has been the Portable form factor system. A reason Nintendo abandoned the Home Stationary console front is that it produced less consistent results time and time again. Vs their portables at least.

I've been thinking about it again and eventually changed my mind about one thing (though I still think it's unlikely): Nintendo could perfectly do a standard Direct this week and announce next gen hardware in July.

At first I thought it wouldn't make much sense, but the Direct would be focused on H2 Switch games to reassure everyone who owns a Switch (and that means a lot by now), with possibly "major" games (like Prime 4 and 2/3 remasters), GC ports/remasters as well and some other first & third party (also, MK8D and Splatoon 3 DLC, maybe Zelda).

It makes sense to show that Switch is still going to have support for the current year in the first place, to ensure a smooth transition with their next generation and avoiding the situation where some people see the Switch 2 and think their current Switch is becoming obsolete really quick.

Doing a current Switch-focused Direct after the next gen reveal is what would actually be weird or even harmful, and probably something they don't want.
I'm not a marketing expert but in a situation where they have to announce a new generation while the current console is still popular and doing well, and if it's all supposed to happen this summer, this is probably the best way to announce things - or the least unfortunate if you'd prefer.
I think it depends what gets shown.

If the Direct is focused on northern hemisphere* summer / autumn releases, then that doesn't necessarily preclude anything. I get the argument that they'd want to get those announcements out first, to get mindshare before everything's overshadowed by nee hardware (although it would probably mean that anything announced don't have substantial cross-gen enhancements).

If they announce their holiday 2023 game(s) or start announcing 2024 titles, I think that does probably mean that the Switch 2 isn't coming this year - even for cross-gen titles, it'd make more sense to show them in the best possible light.

Basically, for me, it depends what's in the Direct (although, to be fair, the effluxion of time without any real leaks is already shifting my views a bit).

* I'm translating the seasons for your convenience, even though it's winter where I am.

if only we could go back in time and see what people thought about the Gameboy prior to Pokemon
I believe it was … “why the freak do I still not have color backlit screen?”

Then Pokémon came out and we had fun anyway … and bought a GBC … and said

“Why the freak do we still not have a lit up screen??!”

then we bought a GBA and said why the freak don’t we have a backlit display

Then we bought a DS and said why the freak don’t we have a backlit display…?

Last edited:
I believe it was … “why the freak do I still not have color backlit screen?”

Then Pokémon came out and we had fun anyway … and bought a GBC … and said

“Why the freak do we still not have a lot up screen??!”
Hey, game boy light was 2 years after red and blue

And never left japan

I'm really sorry to add to the dogpile but while I think you're right that the Switch 2 will start life on the back foot, a stationary console would totally do even worse

Really?
tbf, he called the conclusion stupid

While we're on the topic of sales, how much of the Switch's success can be attributed to COVID and Animal Crossing? While I think the successor will do well - even with a bad launch - some part of me wonders if the current Switch's numbers are attainable.

While we're on the topic of sales, how much of the Switch's success can be attributed to COVID and Animal Crossing? While I think the successor will do well - even with a bad launch - some part of me wonders if the current Switch's numbers are attainable.
what you can attribute to covid is the resurgence of sales. don't think it would have changed too much for Switch upon Zelda launch, but it definitely prevented a lull in sales prior to Zelda's launch

This is just me spitballing "what could've happened", but I believe the original plan for a "Pro Switch" was to launch it late 2021 alongside TOTK with a big 35th anniversary Zelda celebration. Then 2022 would've had SMB5 launch in the holidays alongside the Mario movie. And then maybe 2023 would've had the original NS2 with a 3D Mario.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom