• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

The only chance of we hear anything of Drake on that Direct is if, at the end, they announce a game for 2024 with crossgen on description. For me that is the end of chances of we see the next switch in 2023. Now is hope for a early 2024.
Q1 24 is the best case scenario right now. This is Nintendo though. They move and make decision that can’t be predicted. Holiday 2023 would be amazing but I’m cool with Feb-Mar 24.

I may be wrong but I remember them saying in the past "there will be no information on new hardware in that direct".

Am I misremembering?
I don’t remember, but Directs have never had hardware in them. New consoles and revisions have been unveiled via trailers. In this case, both the Lite and the OLED have been revealed in the first week of July. Drake can either be a random trailer they drop or Nintendo does a Switch and the day before they tweet they’ll unveiling the next generation of the Switch

Was hoping the direct announcement would give us something to speculate. Lets hope they show something with too many pixels tomo

It's weird that they are already focusing attention on Pikmin, as to set up (low) expectations.
If this ND is mostly about Pikmin 4 there is still a slight chance but if H2 2023 is filling up it's bad for #team2023 yeah.

I would argue that the rumored 2D Mario game + SNES Remake and Pikmin 4 is already bad news for #team2023

What are everyone's hopes and dreams for the Direct? (that are likely going to get shattered)
My biggest and most unlikely one is Switch ports from the older Monster Hunter games such as MHFU, MH3U and MH4U.
Can't wait to get dissappointed on that regard, but i'm at least open for some surprise reveals too.

Again, even if they are really planning to announce ReDraketed in June/July this year, it won't and never would've happened in this Direct.

These things always get their own events. And if it's a day after a Direct, but they always have their own event.
I already said it won't happen in this direct, doesn't mean peoples will lose hope anyway lol

I really need a new Nintendo hardware soon, I loved my switch since the very first day and I will probably use it more in the future thanks to the huge library, but the resolution doesn't feel good anymore.

I loved Xenoblade 3 and Totk, but it just doesn't looks good on a big 4k TV or a 2k monitor. It was ok when it launched and I played on a small 1080p TV.

Honestly I lost all interest in the remaining switch posible catalog but Metroid prime 4 (which I believe will 100% be cross gen).

The first 3 years I was buying like 7 games each year, this year I only got Totk, what I have seen of pikmin 4 doesn't look like a must have so I will probably skip it.

I wanted to buy an oled switch for preservation purposes but at this time other alternatives like a steam deck looks more appealing.

I'm still team 2023. Buying games for the switch doesn't feel like it's worth it anymore

It's weird that they are already focusing attention on Pikmin, as to set up (low) expectations.
If this ND is mostly about Pikmin 4 there is still a slight chance but if H2 2023 is filling up it's bad for #team2023 yeah.

Huh? Don't think there's anything weird about them promoting their only announced game that comes out in a month. Not like they would or could mention any other game in their Direct preview. And it won't be "mostly" Pikmin 4...Pikmin 4 could have the longest segment, but it won't be like 20 minutes.

I know it takes up precious minutes in a Direct, but a lot of people are actually looking forward to the game.

Last edited:
alright just looked at it:

thought I saw it more than once, so there may be other examples.

Unless there are more recent examples I don't think this is enough to go by. Nintendo might have just changed their marketing practices considering this isn't a prominent message in all direct announcements.

What are everyone's hopes and dreams for the Direct? (that are likely going to get shattered)
My biggest and most unlikely one is Switch ports from the older Monster Hunter games such as MHFU, MH3U and MH4U.
Can't wait to get dissappointed on that regard, but i'm at least open for some surprise reveals too.
I'd like to see an interesting new 2D Mario (if the rumours are true)

WW+TPHD would be cool too

Ithink thay rumoured TTYD remaster is absolutely not happening...but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it

Wonder if those rumblings of July that Grubb heard were accurate. It can't be a Pikmin Direct, now, so what is it? Directs have, afaik, never shown off new hardware, so next month might be it. That's not to say it couldn't be something else, entirely (assuming, again, if those rumblings have any weight to them).

Edit: I also want to add that both the Lite and OLED models were revealed in July, so that would check out. If it's announced this year for November, that will make it a four month turnaround period, which would be a bit shorter than what the Switch had.

Last edited:
I don’t remember, but Directs have never had hardware in them. New consoles and revisions have been unveiled via trailers. In this case, both the Lite and the OLED have been revealed in the first week of July. Drake can either be a random trailer they drop or Nintendo does a Switch and the day before they tweet they’ll unveiling the next generation of the Switch
Point taken, and it makes sense. Just was to see anyone remembered that they have been clear more than once that no hardware would be discussed (probably in order to not have expectations flying too high ahead of the presentation). What puzzles me is that they are certainly aware of the crazy expectations regarding their next hardware, more than in the past actually. Oh well, good thing is that they will put us out of our misery very soon.

Point taken, and it makes sense. Just was to see anyone remembered that they have been clear more than once that no hardware would be discussed (probably in order to not have expectations flying too high ahead of the presentation). What puzzles me is that they are certainly aware of the crazy expectations regarding their next hardware, more than in the past actually. Oh well, good thing is that they will put us out of our misery very soon.
Im pretty sure they have been clear more than once yes, but I believe only at E3s. Maybe a few directs too, I don't remember.

boom

not surprising this took 2 minutes to post lol

hopefully Shiya Takahashi or Yoshiaki Kozuimi will coment on the development of Metroid Prime 4, stating, the development of the game is progresing well, stay tuned for future information regarding the game.

Again, even if they are really planning to announce ReDraketed in June/July this year, it won't and never would've happened in this Direct.

These things always get their own events. And if it's a day after a Direct, but they always have their own event.
Nintendo never anounce hardware trough Nintendo Direct,only by trailers or special events

Directs have, afaik, never shown off new hardware
I don’t remember, but Directs have never had hardware in them.
Nintendo never anounce hardware trough Nintendo Direct,only by trailers or special events
Both the 3DS XL (June 2012) and New 3DS (September 2014) were revealed in Directs. And if you want to get pedantic about "new hardware", the Mario and Zelda Game & Watch were both announced in Directs.

Not that I think Nintendo will reveal [redacted] in a Direct. Nintendo used to use "Direct" to mean "digital presentation", but now Direct is specific in it's meeting and even things that are effectively Directs in the narrow sense are still branded otherwise (Indie World).

Quoted by: D36
Honestly agree here.
The Tegra X1 never really seemingly encountered any real fill-rate problems. Not at least before Memory or CPU became a problem.

Even when doing sophisticated upscaling techniques like Monolithsoft's TSR in Xenoblade 3, the game gets memory limited when alpha-effects are in place which makes sense considering the speed of the LPDDR.

Heck, the main symptom of Fill-Rate may be how low the internal resolution for Xenoblade 2/3 has to be for it to work as it does with how graphics-pushing the X engine can be at times in regards to scale and quality of things like material properties and geometric complexity for environments.

Which DLSS already covers that for Drake, but something else to point out really is that do we have the specific data on the ROPs in Drake @oldpuck @Thraktor?
Or is that just assuming off the ROPs/GPC in Ampere/Lovelace.
I'm asking this as no Ampere card has had less than 32ROPs outside of the Binnned down Orin variations (Orin 32, the Orin NX duo, the lattermost breaking down to only 8ROPs).

Even the 10SM A2 card has 32ROPs still and that is a derivative of GA107.

It just feels weird to me that they'd not up the ROPs to at least 24 like the Orin 32GB (14SMs) and purposely limit it to 16ROPs. Especially as Drake is running some variation of customization to the architecture beyond what was done with Orin.

Yeah I do feel the same if they keep the number of ROPS at 16. Looking back at the leak I did find a place where there are mentions of ROP0 and ROP1, which I'm not really sure what that means but maybe it's referring to the ROP partition on the GPC. Also I did check and found a place where it define the L2 size as 1048576 (bytes?). Still I wish they increase the number of ROPS up, 16 feels kinda low respect to the device compute performance to be honest.

I'm sure Nintendo and Nvidia probably played around with the setup of chip designs and Drake ended up being the most efficient compromise for their needs. I don't expect Switch 2 to render very demanding games beyond 1080p(while also being able to use DLSS) to upscale for higher fidelity image quality.

AD107 has 32ROPs for 24SM's, 3072 cuda cores exactly doubled up on Drake's GPU specs, so I don't see them landing on this configuration for it to only be the major bottleneck shortly down the road...

Both the 3DS XL (June 2012) and New 3DS (September 2014) were revealed in Directs. And if you want to get pedantic about "new hardware", the Mario and Zelda Game & Watch were both announced in Directs.

Not that I think Nintendo will reveal [redacted] in a Direct. Nintendo used to use "Direct" to mean "digital presentation", but now Direct is specific in it's meeting and even things that are effectively Directs in the narrow sense are still branded otherwise (Indie World).
Yeah, Directs are structured much differently than back then. Though, to play Devil's Advocate, they could buck the recent trends and have Drake announced as a one more thing at the end. This is a new system after all, though I guess that in and of itself would prompt its own separate announcement.

Yeah, Directs are structured much differently than back then. Though, to play Devil's Advocate, they could buck the recent trends and have Drake announced as a one more thing at the end. This is a new system after all, though I guess that in and of itself would prompt its own separate announcement.
Yeah, exactly. I can totally see that, ending with a peak and an announcement for a real event in July, to have time to prepare the media. Maybe even a whole trailer like they had with switch before the January event.
I mean, bach then they announced it with a tweet, and then just posted a trailer. Not like it would reach way more poeple.

Only worry: it could overshadow the games somewhat?

Yeah, exactly. I can totally see that, ending with a peak and an announcement for a real event in July, to have time to prepare the media. Maybe even a whole trailer like they had with switch before the January event.
I mean, bach then they announced it with a tweet, and then just posted a trailer. Not like it would reach way more poeple.

Only worry: it could overshadow the games somewhat?
Cross-gen Period. Also if it is coming out in November that's half a year. Even moreso if it's coming out in 2024

Wonder if those rumblings of July that Grubb heard were accurate. It can't be a Pikmin Direct, now, so what is it? Directs have, afaik, never shown off new hardware, so next month might be it. That's not to say it couldn't be something else, entirely (assuming, again, if those rumblings have any weight to them).

Edit: I also want to add that both the Lite and OLED models were revealed in July, so that would check out. If it's announced this year for November, that will make it a four month turnaround period, which would be a bit shorter than what the Switch had.
You know what I think it is already.

June Direct, July console reveal occured in both 2019 and 2021.

I don't recall any kind of description like that. The only thing Nintendo does it say there will be a focus on games coming out in some kind of time period.
I've got a vague memory of a Direct being announced referring to games coming out in the same year, sometime during Covid lockdowns I think?

"Although, I think it was a different issue with Mario. We had already released a Mario Rabbids game [on Switch], so by doing another we had two similar experiences on one machine. On Nintendo, games like this never die. There are 25 Mario games on Switch. Nintendo [has advised] that it's better to do one iteration on each machine. We were a bit too early, we should have waited for [the next console]."

I think this will be the last Direct pre Switch 2 announcement (excluding Pokémon Direct) and will focus on 2023.

My expectations
Pikmin 4 Deep Dive
Everybody's 12 Switch Trailer
Fire Emblem Remake
Switch Sports DLC
Zelda TotK DLC
Splatoon 3 DLC
F Zero GX Remaster
Xenoblade X Remaster
2D Mario
Tamodatchi Game
More NSO Games

Pokmeon Direct later in the year
Pokémon Scarlet and Violet DLC
Detective Pikachu Remaster
New Pokémon Spin Off Game for early 2024
Classic GB and GBA Pokémon NSO (No Save States)

I expect around February 2024 we will get Switch 2 reveal

March/April Big Switch 2 Presentation
September Switch 2 Launch

In regards to Switch 1 games for Q1 and Q2 2024 I think continued DLC for current games and more remasters will keep it going, e.g Metroid Prime 2/3, Kirby Epic Yarn, Yoshi's Wooly World, Pikmin 1/2, DK Jungle Beat/Returns, Fire Emblem Raidant Games, Paper Mario Color Splash/TTYD, Super Paper Mario, Punchout, Zelda TP/Windwaker

Unless there are more recent examples I don't think this is enough to go by. Nintendo might have just changed their marketing practices considering this isn't a prominent message in all direct announcements.
June 2021 was very explicit about no hardware.

It's not something they do super often, though.

Cross-gen Period. Also if it is coming out in November that's half a year. Even moreso if it's coming out in 2024
i dont really get what you are responding to.

If its the "january Event" i mentioned... i was talking about the one from 2017. If they announce new hardware in June (like, say, tomorrow) i expect them to have media events and a whole presentation between July and fall.

Or what do you mean?

"And we think it will last for ten years, because we will update it for the new machine that will come in the future.”

I mean, no one here is surprised by that (the new machine, not the update per se). But we're desperate for assurance I guess lol

I think if they were releasing this year we would have hear more about the console by now. Especially if this is a new console and not just a switch iteration. I don’t think they would wait until after Q1 of next year. Early next year just makes more sense from a timing and financial standpoint.

My dream is for something Star Fox related. My hope is for a bumper crop of new games (not just ports or remasters), as my expectation is that Nintendo won't announce [redacted] in July, but will try and make 2H 2023 the Switch's last big hurrah

Was that during the "Switch Pro" hype? I guess they had to be clear about that
Yes exactly my point! This time they re not saying anything. Maybe they ll show nothing but say explicitly that the successor is in the works (like we don't know..)? Either way, just speculating as I obviously have no clue. Probably just reading what I want too.

I think if they were releasing this year we would have hear more about the console by now. Especially if this is a new console and not just a switch iteration. I don’t think they would wait until after Q1 of next year. Early next year just makes more sense from a timing and financial standpoint.
If it's not this year, Holiday 2024 makes a lot more sense. If it were early 2024, they'd have to announce it as early as October and as late as January. The former could seriously kneecap potential Switch Holiday sales when they need it now more than ever and the latter would right after the Holidays, where people may not be as eager to buy a new system. Additionally in regards to the latter, this isn't like the Wii U to Switch, where Nintendo could afford to announce the Switch during October, as the Wii U was basically a zombie at that point.

This is the first non-E3 direct since June 2012.

And in the direct of June 2012 the 3DS XL was announced. 👀

Yes I know it's not happening, this is a joke post for those who will take this seriously

"And we think it will last for ten years, because we will update it for the new machine that will come in the future.”

I mean, no one here is surprised by that (the new machine, not the update per se). But we're desperate for assurance I guess lol
Technically it's the first game announced for the new console, even if it's more of an offhand comment by an executive than an official announcement, so it is somewhat interesting.

Ubisoft have been pretty good with updating past games to support new consoles (eg AC Origins and Odyssey), so it's not massively surprising, but it's good to know that the poor commercial performance hasn't caused them to drop future work on the game. I plan on picking it up at some point, and if I can play it with improved graphics/performance on [redacted], then all the better.

Like I said before, this is around the time of year that we would/should start hearing about dev kits. As time goes one, we will start hearing more and more with Ubisoft openly talking about a next gen machine (which also basically "proves" that it will be a Switch 2).

Would it be safe to assume that the next console will be backwards compatible with the current switch because of this comment from Ubi? It's more in the line of "upgrade to run better on next system" than "release again with upgrade on next system", no?

Don't think it's happening tomorrow. July, perhaps. But it could also be just another Switch Refresh (tm) to fall in line with Lite and OLED.

If it's not this year, Holiday 2024 makes a lot more sense. If it were early 2024, they'd have to announce it as early as October and as late as January. The former could seriously kneecap potential Switch Holiday sales when they need it now more than ever and the latter would right after the Holidays, where people may not be as eager to buy a new system. Additionally in regards to the latter, this isn't like the Wii U to Switch, where Nintendo could afford to announce the Switch during October, as the Wii U was basically a zombie at that point.
The switch is a mass market hit. They can lower the price Christmas this year and it’s flying off the shelf. Doesn’t matter if a new console is announced.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom