• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Yup. I want to play some great third party games I missed out on because the switch isn't powerful enough (Elden Ring, RDR2, etc.)
I really want to be able to play these games on Switch too and in my opinion if we have to talk about games held back by the current Hardware, as is the case in the technical thread on Totk, it makes a lot more sense to refer to those kinds of third-party titles.

Even games that have been released like the witcher 3 or doom or Wolfenstein illustrate the expression «held back» much better than any game developed in-house by Nintendo.

What a joy it would be to be able to play Red Dead Redemption 2 or Elden Ring on thé next Switch!

It's interesting to think that RDR2 will be 6 years old by the time this machine releases. I understand why it was perceived as an achievement to have it on a portable console at the time people were dreaming of a 2020 or 2021 new console.
In 2024 however, it won't be much different than having Skyrim on the OG Switch. Except that Skyrim was an actual good game.

It's interesting to think that RDR2 will be 6 years old by the time this machine releases. I h it understand why it was perceived as an achievement to have it on a portable console at the time people were dreaming of a 2020 or 2021 new console.
In 2024 however, it won't be much different than having Skyrim on the OG Switch. Except that Skyrim was an actual good game.ah BBB qohogv
Still, having the only console 60fps version of the game (if polygon is to believed) on a portable console is pretty cool.

Tbh, if you want a technical showcase the only option you have is pretty much CP2077 due to the age of it vs the other titles…

And ER has other technical issues associated to it lol

A former user here (self requested ban)that claimed to have contacts at rockstar claimed the redacted version would be 60fps. He also claimed it would release in May and have 12 gb of ram.

Ah ok, I forgot that person; I literally went on google to check that polygon website.

Well, as this forum enjoyer did not substantiate their claim with anything tangible, I will respectfully call bullshit on that one; especially as it seems that the same person was claiming that the new console's release was supposed to happen more or less as I'm writing this message.

I understand why some people can lie on the internet for their subscribers' money, but lying on the internet for nothing else than the approval of a bunch of strangers is a very bizarre behavior.

On the subject of RDR2 coming to the new Nintendo console, it would be somewhat surprised that the company which did not bother to bring GTA5 on Switch (a very low hanging fruit, as they would have gotten away with a PS3 port) would bring their more ambitious yet less successful game. Unless the port is partly Nintendo funded, to make a point (like I guess things like Skyrim or Doom were, to some extent).

At this point I don’t see Switch 2 get GTAV, GTAVI not RDR2.

It will probably be something like GTAV that the last Gen. version has been stopped supported and they don’t want to support one version

Would you like it to be worse
Not sure how to respond to that.

My whole point was that I'm a bit tired if hearing how TotK could be better on different hardware, it's a buzz-kill and tantamount to port begging. That TotK runs on Switch as well as it does is impressive, and while obviously 2/Pro/Redacted/whatever it is could/would run it better, it's not here. TotK is, and it's on Switch. Some people are okay with that, while some people all but accuse you of being a shill if you aren't. Not necessarily pointing fingers, just having a conversation 🤷🏻‍♂️

My whole point was that I'm a bit tired if hearing how TotK could be better on different hardware, it's a buzz-kill and tantamount to port begging. That TotK runs on Switch as well as it does is impressive, and while obviously 2/Pro/Redacted/whatever it is could/would run it better, it's not here. TotK is, and it's on Switch. Some people are okay with that, while some people all but accuse you of being a shill if you aren't. Not necessarily pointing fingers, just having a conversation 🤷🏻‍♂️
I really don't understand you, you're in a thread on FUTURE hardware.
If your enjoying the game so much and are so happy with how it runs, why are you spending so much time in a thread on a future platform that you don't care about, why not just play the game and chat about it in the threads specifically on the current version?

Ah ok, I forgot that person; I literally went on google to check that polygon website.

Well, as this forum enjoyer did not substantiate their claim with anything tangible, I will respectfully call bullshit on that one; especially as it seems that the same person was claiming that the new console's release was supposed to happen more or less as I'm writing this message.

I understand why some people can lie on the internet for their subscribers' money, but lying on the internet for nothing else than the approval of a bunch of strangers is a very bizarre behavior.

On the subject of RDR2 coming to the new Nintendo console, it would be somewhat surprised that the company which did not bother to bring GTA5 on Switch (a very low hanging fruit, as they would have gotten away with a PS3 port) would bring their more ambitious yet less successful game. Unless the port is partly Nintendo funded, to make a point (like I guess things like Skyrim or Doom were, to some extent).
Sounds like bullshit to me too for exactly the reasons you listed.
lying on the internet for nothing else than the approval of a bunch of strangers is a very bizarre behavior.

I couldn't agree more, can't get my head around people doing that.
Still, we live in a world where a guy crashed a plane deliberately just for YouTube clicks......

Sounds like bullshit to me too for exactly the reasons you listed.

I couldn't agree more, can't get my head around people doing that.
Still, we live in a world where a guy crashed a plane deliberately just for YouTube clicks......
as someone who did something similar (though not for nearly as long), it probably came from a personal grudge against the thread

Lying for validation from strangers online is the most common and understandable form of lying. Everybody does it. Some people just take it too far.

I'm unsure if the "I would like to see it" gif is an acceptable joke answer to this or not.

I feel like the internet shouldn't motivate people into crashing planes (and of course i know our Raccoon would never do something insane like this.)

I really don't understand you, you're in a thread on FUTURE hardware.
If your enjoying the game so much and are so happy with how it runs, why are you spending so much time in a thread on a future platform that you don't care about, why not just play the game and chat about it in the threads specifically on the current version?

EDIT: nvm

He said similar, it was a submarine.

Okay, i have to:

i-would-like-to-see-it.gif

;]

A former user here (self requested ban)that claimed to have contacts at rockstar claimed the redacted version would be 60fps. He also claimed it would release in May and have 12 gb of ram.
they were adamant the system was coming in May (this port was supposedly a launch title), got angry when the narrative seemed to shift (delay/cancellation) then entertained the idea it could come later and finally insisted it would be May before leaving.

For everyone who is against late 2023 because we aren't getting leaks from developers, how far in advance are you expecting these leaks to start happening? It seems to me that people's memory of how much leaked out about Switch far in advance of announcement has been significantly exaggerated. It wasn't until July of 2016 that DF reported on the console being a hybrid with detachable controllers and powered by a Tegra processor. The hybrid idea was speculated for years at that point which wasn't really hard to believe seeing as how the Wii U was a step in that direction. If Redacted is basically a new Switch model, then leaking basic details like it being a hybrid system with detachable controllers that docks to the TV isn't even worth "leaking" this time around because everyone is already expecting it to be a new Switch and if that is the case, there is a lot less to be leaked this time. How far out in advance do developers start getting dev kits of some kind for a new console? 12-18 months? At some point we have to realize that if we are expecting to see leaks when developers have development kits, even a late 2024 release would suggest developers have dev kits now or will in the very near future. The most likely source for solid leaks comes from the manufacturing side and not game developers. Problem for us is mass production wont start till about six months prior to release. Many of the parts could have already started mass production. Something like Drake could be manufactured and stockpiled months before the actual assembly process starts.

I disagree for many reasons with this, as it looks for stagnation and complacency than progression and ingenuity, but that’s a personal thing. I don’t agree with the idea of it being tantamount to portbegging as no one is asking for it to be on a different vendor, just by the same vendor.

But you and others enjoy the game right now, so I don’t really think this matters, but others wouldn’t enjoy the game, and there’s not much we can do about it.

It’s all personal opinion.

For everyone who is against late 2023 because we aren't getting leaks from developers, how far in advance are you expecting these leaks to start happening? It seems to me that people's memory of how much leaked out about Switch far in advance of announcement has been significantly exaggerated. It wasn't until July of 2016 that DF reported on the console being a hybrid with detachable controllers and powered by a Tegra processor. The hybrid idea was speculated for years at that point which wasn't really hard to believe seeing as how the Wii U was a step in that direction. If Redacted is basically a new Switch model, then leaking basic details like it being a hybrid system with detachable controllers that docks to the TV isn't even worth "leaking" this time around because everyone is already expecting it to be a new Switch and if that is the case, there is a lot less to be leaked this time. How far out in advance do developers start getting dev kits of some kind for a new console? 12-18 months? At some point we have to realize that if we are expecting to see leaks when developers have development kits, even a late 2024 release would suggest developers have dev kits now or will in the very near future. The most likely source for solid leaks comes from the manufacturing side and not game developers. Problem for us is mass production wont start till about six months prior to release. Many of the parts could have already started mass production. Something like Drake could be manufactured and stockpiled months before the actual assembly process starts.
Nevermind the fact that the Switch launch was different in terms of Nintendo being indifferent towards leak. Now? Nintendo is even asking internet service providers to send a cease and desist to subscribers that download a flagged torrent for Tears of the Kingdom. Nintendo is being veeery careful and aggressive with leaks. I doubt anyone with a direct relationship with Nintendo would jeopardize it over leaking information for Nintendo’s next console, which would be Furukawa’s first as President

Then again, it could really just be a case of the console not being ready yet. But even of dev kits haven’t been delivered, what? We’re gonna wait two years for 3rd party games? Two years of a small amount of software? Or will the console launch in 2025? Eight years after the OG Switch?

Nintendo: "We will provide information about hardware and software at the appropriate time for each product"
Also Nintendo: The only software announced this year was released on the same day.
Hardware shadow drop confirmed?
Nah, Nintendo is going to try and one up Sega's approach to the Saturn by quietly releasing the switch, without telling anyone at all, not even the retailers, they will scan and allow you to buy one if you try, but they won't give the go ahead to put them on shelves or market them. Nintendo will have a page to buy them too, but nothing will link to it, if you manage to figure out the URL, you can add to basket like normal.

Then two weeks later they announce the switch 2 has been available to purchase for two weeks now. Please understand.

Note that I don't like Skyrim or Red Dead 2, but Skyrim was not technically impressive even at the time of its release and was a fairly medium budget effort whereas Red Dead 2 is easily the most expensive video game ever made (until the release of GTA6) and is still one of the 20 best looking video games ever made and has the most advanced AI systems of any mainstream video game. So there are big differences.

I don't think Rockstar will port it as they seemed really disappointed in how Red Dead 2 sold though.

Nintendo: "We will provide information about hardware and software at the appropriate time for each product"
Also Nintendo: The only software announced this year was released on the same day.
Hardware shadow drop confirmed?
I’m wondering if maybe since everyone already knew about Metroid prime existing if they just figured it was already announced 😂

It looks like the frame rate issues in Tears of the Kingdom might be due to RAM speeds. He tested the max clock for RAM and it runs rather smoothly in Kakoriko.

Part of my problem with the "we don't have leaks, so it can't be released this year" line of thinking is that by the same logic Nintendo isn't going to release a single game after Pikmin 4 this year.

Most of the leaks we get about new hardware from gaming media and "insiders" comes via developers. Journalist talks to developer, developer says "Hey, I'm working on game X for the new hardware, here are some details". Good journalists talk to several developers before publishing, not so good journalists just publish straight away with one source. The fact that they're dealing with developers means they have to know about game X, and probably games Y and Z if they want to do a good job getting multiple sources. That is, for journalists to know anything about unannounced hardware, by necessity they must also know about unannounced software as well.

So, what unannounced Switch games have been leaked by reliable sources? We have Twilight Princess and Wind Waker ports, which leaked a long time back, would appear to have been sitting on a shelf for a while, and are very unlikely to release this year, given the game that released last week. Outside of those, I'm not aware of a single game which has been leaked by reliable outlets. I've seen people referring to Paper Mario TTYD and F-Zero GX ports/remasters in this thread, but in the former case it's based purely on a random Famiboards poster, and in the latter case the thread was locked here for lack of evidence. Ports and remasters are also exactly the kind of thing fake leakers will go for, as they're a much safer bet than trying to come up with the details for a fake new game.

I'm also not aware of any unannounced third party games which have been reliably leaked. Dusk Golem talked about a Switch Resident Evil game, but that was supposed to be released a year ago and I don't think we've heard anything about it in two years. There may be something else I'm missing, but I had a look back through the "Rumour" threads here and didn't see anything.

So, as I see it, either Switch will have an exceptionally quiet second half of the year, or the developers of unannounced Switch games aren't talking to journalists. The former I don't see happening, regardless of any new hardware, as the lineup for the first half of the year has been very strong, and had there been nothing to release in H2, Nintendo could have easily pushed back several titles. That leaves Switch developers not talking to journalists, and if they're not talking to journalists about their games, they're hardly talking to journalists about new hardware.

It looks like the frame rate issues in Tears of the Kingdom might be due to RAM speeds. He tested the max clock for RAM and it runs rather smoothly in Kakoriko.

Not surprising since the RAM has always been one of the Nintendo Switch's biggest bottlenecks.

I imagine that RAM's still going to be one of the biggest bottlenecks for Nintendo's new hardware from a bandwidth standpoint, although I don't think to the same extent as with the Nintendo Switch with respect to the RAM.

Part of my problem with the "we don't have leaks, so it can't be released this year" line of thinking is that by the same logic Nintendo isn't going to release a single game after Pikmin 4 this year.

Most of the leaks we get about new hardware from gaming media and "insiders" comes via developers. Journalist talks to developer, developer says "Hey, I'm working on game X for the new hardware, here are some details". Good journalists talk to several developers before publishing, not so good journalists just publish straight away with one source. The fact that they're dealing with developers means they have to know about game X, and probably games Y and Z if they want to do a good job getting multiple sources. That is, for journalists to know anything about unannounced hardware, by necessity they must also know about unannounced software as well.

So, what unannounced Switch games have been leaked by reliable sources? We have Twilight Princess and Wind Waker ports, which leaked a long time back, would appear to have been sitting on a shelf for a while, and are very unlikely to release this year, given the game that released last week. Outside of those, I'm not aware of a single game which has been leaked by reliable outlets. I've seen people referring to Paper Mario TTYD and F-Zero GX ports/remasters in this thread, but in the former case it's based purely on a random Famiboards poster, and in the latter case the thread was locked here for lack of evidence. Ports and remasters are also exactly the kind of thing fake leakers will go for, as they're a much safer bet than trying to come up with the details for a fake new game.

I'm also not aware of any unannounced third party games which have been reliably leaked. Dusk Golem talked about a Switch Resident Evil game, but that was supposed to be released a year ago and I don't think we've heard anything about it in two years. There may be something else I'm missing, but I had a look back through the "Rumour" threads here and didn't see anything.

So, as I see it, either Switch will have an exceptionally quiet second half of the year, or the developers of unannounced Switch games aren't talking to journalists. The former I don't see happening, regardless of any new hardware, as the lineup for the first half of the year has been very strong, and had there been nothing to release in H2, Nintendo could have easily pushed back several titles. That leaves Switch developers not talking to journalists, and if they're not talking to journalists about their games, they're hardly talking to journalists about new hardware.

Pretty ludicrous comparison on many levels

1. Software has been held close to release without leaks many times, this has literally never happened for new generation hardware.

2. To hide its upcoming lineup from August 2023 to like May 2024, Nintendo probably needs around 6 devs to keep their mouths shut. 5 or 6 of these devs are probably Japanese and all work for Nintendo. They would need over a hundred devs to keep their mouths shut about the Switch 2, including MANY Ubisoft development studios (as Ubisoft would love to port over its Assassin's Creed games and probably The Crew games and Rainbow Six Siege and maybe Avatar). The Ubisoft point in particular is important as literally every detail about Ubisoft games leaks as soon as it happens internally.

3. Nintendo does have two announced Switch games after Pikmin 4 (Metroid Prime 4 and Detective Pikachu 2), some DLC (Pokemon SV DLC 1 and 2), has one very credibly leaked Switch game (Everybody's 1-2 Switch) and one Switch game is more questionably leaked but people seem very confident in (Fire Emblem 4 remake).

4. The Switch 2 is probably the most anticipated gaming system of all time other than maybe the PS3 and PS5. IGN etc would leap at the chance to publish any credible leaks from dev or marketing sources about the Switch 2 and there would be a ton of interest about the estimated power level of the Switch 2 or the estimated release date etc. Vague leaks about the next Paper Mario probably would generate minimal traffic in comparison and may not be worth convincing a source to leak about.

5. The marketing and manufacturing effort involved in releasing a new console is massively more than releasing new software.

Isn’t RDR2 one of the best selling games of the last generation? It sold like 50M copies they have zero reasons to be disappointed since it was never going to sell GTA V numbers to begin with.

Yeah, it sold 44m (top 20 best selling game of all time), but they cut support for the game pretty quickly and did not seem at all enthused by how it performed.

You can definitely argue that was ludicrous, of course.

I'm curious if Nintendo was able to identify the person who leaked information about the Switch to Eurogamer. While companies like Sony and Microsoft seem to tolerate leaks, Nintendo might take a more strict approach. They could potentially impose severe punishments on the leaker, such as industry bans, and forced reorganization of teams responsible. This would serve as a strong deterrent against leaks, particularly if it involves a highly anticipated console like REDACTED.
If REDACTED will be announced within this FY and the leaks are not exploding soon, we can be at least sure, Nintendo Ninjas are as feared as we thought we joke about them.

I'm curious if Nintendo was able to identify the person who leaked information about the Switch to Eurogamer. While companies like Sony and Microsoft seem to tolerate leaks, Nintendo might take a more strict approach. They could potentially impose severe punishments on the leaker, such as industry bans, and forced reorganization of teams responsible. This would serve as a strong deterrent against leaks, particularly if it involves a highly anticipated console like REDACTED.
If REDACTED will be announced within this FY and the leaks are not exploding soon, we can be at least sure, Nintendo Ninjas are as feared as we thought we joke about them.

I'm sorry, but the idea that Nintendo is so incredibly leak proof that they managed to stop Ubisoft from leaking, but cannot stop "factory uncles" from leaking is just extremely silly.

If the argument is "well, Nintendo just hasn't shared any information with Ubisoft because getting ports of the Assassin's Creed RPGs and Rainbow Six and having a working relationship with Ubisoft is less important than stopping IGN from leaking the Switch 2's upcoming release window" ... No.

I guess it's fine (though I think silly) to think that Nintendo is simply totally leak proof, but people who think that Nintendo has stopped Ubisoft from leaking but can't stop "factory uncles" from leaking are just coping massively right now.

Pretty ludicrous comparison on many levels

1. Software has been held close to release without leaks many times, this has literally never happened for new generation hardware.

2. To hide its upcoming lineup from August 2023 to like May 2024, Nintendo probably needs around 6 devs to keep their mouths shut. 5 or 6 of these devs are probably Japanese and all work for Nintendo. They would need over a hundred devs to keep their mouths shut about the Switch 2, including MANY Ubisoft development studios (as Ubisoft would love to port over its Assassin's Creed games and probably The Crew games and Rainbow Six Siege and maybe Avatar). The Ubisoft point in particular is important as literally every detail about Ubisoft games leaks as soon as it happens internally.

3. Nintendo does have two announced Switch games after Pikmin 4 (Metroid Prime 4 and Detective Pikachu 2), some DLC (Pokemon SV DLC 1 and 2), has one very credibly leaked Switch game (Everybody's 1-2 Switch) and one Switch game is more questionably leaked but people seem very confident in (Fire Emblem 4 remake).

4. The Switch 2 is probably the most anticipated gaming system of all time other than maybe the PS3 and PS5. IGN etc would leap at the chance to publish any credible leaks from dev or marketing sources about the Switch 2 and there would be a ton of interest about the estimated power level of the Switch 2 or the estimated release date etc. Vague leaks about the next Paper Mario probably would generate minimal traffic in comparison and may not be worth convincing a source to leak about.

5. The marketing and manufacturing effort involved in releasing a new console is massively more than releasing new software.
3apdzt.jpg

if I remember correctly, the issue was Red Dead Online not living up to revenue expectations
GTA Online is a crazy thing, with around 150M income per quarter. This also drives the direct sales of GTA5, as you get often more starter money with a new registered version of GTA5 as by earning/buying it legally ingame. Red Dead Online is not as popular as its so much slower and a horse is nothing to show off as with a super car. Also GTA Online offers more crazy freedom as its possible in a Western setting.
I doubt Take 2 is disappointed with the sales of Red Dead 2, but I am sure they were hoping as with GTA Online to have kind of surprise income. GTA Online was just a afterthought at release with limited expectations, but then it go gangbuster and Take2/Rockstar went with it. But if Take 2 business guys were expecting similar numbers from Red Dead Online, then they are as detached as possible from the world. (NBA2k seems to show that actually)

I'm sorry, but the idea that Nintendo is so incredibly leak proof that they managed to stop Ubisoft from leaking, but cannot stop "factory uncles" from leaking is just extremely silly.

If the argument is "well, Nintendo just hasn't shared any information with Ubisoft because getting ports of the Assassin's Creed RPGs and Rainbow Six and having a working relationship with Ubisoft is less important than stopping IGN from leaking the Switch 2's upcoming release window" ... No.

I guess it's fine (though I think silly) to think that Nintendo is simply totally leak proof, but people who think that Nintendo has stopped Ubisoft from leaking but can't stop "factory uncles" from leaking are just coping massively right now.
What's your argument here, that Ubisoft isn't working on Switch 2 games right now?

Sometimes I don't feel like I can, because wherever I go someone's talking about how much better it would be on new hardware. Ergo, I feel the need to ask 🤷🏻‍♂️
Why would other people talking about things impact what you are allowed to enjoy?

but cannot stop "factory uncles" from leaking is just extremely silly.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but: do they have an option? When you depend on a supply chain to mass produce a product for a worldwide delivery, you can’t just blacklist a factory and go to another one. So a factory worker leaking a product wouldn’t have a dire consequence towards the company in general. Most certainly Nintendo would harass the factory to reprimand the worker and they’ll more than easily replace him. And probably factory uncles are being careful because the Switchccesor could be in test-production phase and only a select number of employees can participate in that, meaning the trail can be easily followed.

I think once the Switch 2 production enters in full force, we’ll be seeing more factory leaks, like how iPhones get factory leaks from screen molds and cover companies getting their phone covers leaked

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom