• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't Kirby and the Forgotten Land use Unity for the cutscenes or something? So its not the first time a nintendo game has used that engine for at least something.

Correct. HAL used Unity to make the FMV cutscenes in particular. All of the real-time content (including the real-time cutscenes) run on HAL's internal engine however.

Unity is actually quite commonly used for movie production these days; where real-time performance is less important.

Correct. HAL used Unity to make the FMV cutscenes in particular. All of the real-time content (including the real-time cutscenes) run on HAL's internal engine however.

Unity is actually quite commonly used for movie production these days; where real-time performance is less important.
Yeah it makes sense to use a common engine plus internal. Great for recruitment. HAL has a GDC talk maybe they will mention their engine

Unless there's some Gust staff in the full game credits, I'm going to guess that whole Gust rumor was total nonsense.
The strange thing is... the Gust rumor wasn't a rumor. It was part of the original leak which pretty much was point on with Alear ("Main character (main lord) has strange red and blue hair. His mother is a dragon.") and the Emblem gimmick ("New "Emblems" gimmick allows players to summon "FE characters from the past" for your squad.").
Collaboration between Intelligent Systems, Koei Tecmo and Gust (division of Koei Tecmo Holdings).
Gust heavily assisted with the visuals / graphics. Graphics are an improvement over "Three Houses"."

The strange thing is... the Gust rumor wasn't a rumor. It was part of the original leak which pretty much was point on with Alear ("Main character (main lord) has strange red and blue hair. His mother is a dragon.") and the Emblem gimmick ("New "Emblems" gimmick allows players to summon "FE characters from the past" for your squad.").

It's always possible that Gust was one of the studios used for art asset production, much like how Namco did the art assets for the likes of Splatoon and Mario Kart 8.

But they are not credited as co-developer, meaning that they had no input on the game design or programming side of things. If they did, then Koei Tecmo would've been listed as co-developer like with Three Houses.

It's really interesting that HAL used Unity for prototyping and FMV movie production. Can't think of many examples of developers who used an entirely different engine for aspects of game development outside of the production of the game itself... But yeah, it's a clever way to recruit staff who would be much more familiar with common middleware like Unity than with internal tech that isn't used outside of the company (and HAL also use Unity for production of non-Kirby titles like Boxboy+Boxgirl and Part Time UFO).

It's also generally a sensible use of the engine. Unity isn't the most performant engine on any platform (and that's by design, owing to its use of C#), but it is much quicker and easier to use than engines that rely on C++; so it makes perfect sense to use when platform agnoscity and speed of iteration is more important than raw performance.

It's really interesting that HAL used Unity for prototyping and FMV movie production. Can't think of many examples of developers who used an entirely different engine for aspects of game development outside of the production of the game itself... But yeah, it's a clever way to recruit staff who would be much more familiar with common middleware like Unity than with internal tech that isn't used outside of the company (and HAL also use Unity for production of non-Kirby titles like Boxboy+Boxgirl and Part Time UFO).

It's also generally a sensible use of the engine. Unity isn't the most performant engine on any platform (and that's by design, owing to its use of C#), but it is much quicker and easier to use than engines that rely on C++; so it makes perfect sense to use when platform agnoscity and speed of iteration is more important than raw performance.
IMO, I feel like this is a vestige of old development practices. engines, internally and externally, are moving in the direction of facilitating rapid prototyping. less tools you have to jump around with and less licenses to handle in Unity's case.

Honestly, any licensed engine is just a starting point and talented devs will bend the engine to their will to a point it isn't recognizable as being in that engine.

Do we know when reviews are dropping yet? Usually it's two days before, but it's been one or three sometimes with games lately, too. Wasn't sure if anyone had said yet.

Do we know when reviews are dropping yet? Usually it's two days before, but it's been one or three sometimes with games lately, too. Wasn't sure if anyone had said yet.
I don't think it's been publicly revealed, but my guess would be two days in advance for this one – maybe three. The marketing for the game is pretty aggressive so far (for a Fire Emblem game, that is), and I think that Nintendo would like those reviews up a bit early so that skeptical people (those who discovered FE with Three Houses, the fans who didn't like Three Houses, and people who don't quite know if the Engage concept will work) can be reassured with good reviews and a high Metascore and preorder the game.

I would prefer 2 remakes with new graphics TBH, Ike is a popular lord so I can see them doing it after remaking FE4.

The gameplay of Tellius is fine, but the graphics are abyssmal, animations are boring and the overall presentation would need a ton of changes to be appealing today.
I love the world of Tellius but man, the animations and pacing of that game is horrendously slow (during battle). They definitely need some remakes. Otherwise they are very far on my favorite Fire Emblem list.

Imo sacred stones is where I loved monsters depiction the most.
Most of them even had promoted classes and exclusive attacks.
God, I'd love another game that brought back the variety of monsters Sacred Stones had.

We've had some monsters in others, but Sacred Stones basically had a monster for each class archetype in the game, and like you said they also had promoted classes.

Agree entirely but I really hated those floating eyeball things! I liked the elite monsters in the late-game grinding area though.

Personally, the only ones I didn't like that much were those gorgons and their stone gaze.

God, I'd love another game that brought back the variety of monsters Sacred Stones had.

We've had some monsters in others, but Sacred Stones basically had a monster for each class archetype in the game, and like you said they also had promoted classes.

Indeed, the ones in the Awakening/Fates were laughing stock. Here's hoping those like in SS come back soon.

I haven't really been following all of those so I didn't bother looking into it until now but is IS the main (only) developer for this game? I didn't really think about it until now but looking at the different systems, it does a lot of ques from Heroes and considering this was supposed to be an anniversary game, it being made primarily by IS would make sense.

I haven't really been following all of those so I didn't bother looking into it until now but is IS the main (only) developer for this game? I didn't really think about it until now but looking at the different systems, it does a lot of ques from Heroes and considering this was supposed to be an anniversary game, it being made primarily by IS would make sense.
IS is the main (and currently the only known) developer.

I love the world of Tellius but man, the animations and pacing of that game is horrendously slow (during battle). They definitely need some remakes. Otherwise they are very far on my favorite Fire Emblem list.
I always figured remakes of those games would happen sooner rather than later because of the popularity of Ike.

I always figured remakes of those games would happen sooner rather than later because of the popularity of Ike.
Ike's popularity alone likely won't get remakes of the Tellius games fast-tracked. Those games sold poorly even relative to pre-Awakening Fire Emblem, and both Roy and Lyn are popular among leads in their own right. I don't see a reason that they would remake games out of their release order.

IS is the main (and currently the only known) developer.
Yeah, it's looking more and more likely (especially with the recent discovery of this game being built on Unity rather than a KT engine or whatever) that this is a "proper" fully IS-developed game. I'm guessing IS was able to leverage its relationship with Koei Tecmo to "borrow" Gust as a support studio who assisted on visuals and character models, and there are likely several other support studios that worked on this game just like previous IS-developed FE games, but aside from Gust support, it doesn't really seem like KT had any involvement with this game. I'm honestly kinda excited to see the credits lol.

When it comes to remakes, I'm more curious about how they handle Thracia. My understanding is that it's sort of a side story to Genealogy, or at the very least takes place during/alongside that story. Is the gameplay similar enough where it could be included in the Genealogy remake, either in the base game or as DLC? Or would it have to be its own thing?

Kinda similar question to the Blazing/Binding blade duology and the Tellius games, would those be sold separately or be bundled together somehow? Not super familiar with the gameplay differences between the old Fire Emblem games.

When it comes to remakes, I'm more curious about how they handle Thracia. My understanding is that it's sort of a side story to Genealogy, or at the very least takes place during/alongside that story. Is the gameplay similar enough where it could be included in the Genealogy remake, either in the base game or as DLC? Or would it have to be its own thing?

Kinda similar question to the Blazing/Binding blade duology and the Tellius games, would those be sold separately or be bundled together somehow? Not super familiar with the gameplay differences between the old Fire Emblem games.
Has to be its own thing. Game is very long and very interesting in its mechanics and maps.

But beside that. It’s a mainline title through and through. Might be a side story but game is completely different before it.

The other games you listed should be separate. They’re all huge games. Roy’s game Binding Blade is the smallest but it still over 20 chapters long. Blazing Blade is over 30 chapters and a few extras. Ike’s first game is about the same as Blazing blade and Radiant Dawn is probably the longest Fire Emblem game stand alone. Maybe Revelations beats it with its stupidly long maps

Only way I’m seeing a bundle if they decide to remaster them as oppose to remake. But I feel Roy’s game and Eliwood’s will be full blown remakes. Ike’s we have to see. Console games already so who knows.

A day earlier then I expected.

Which means if they reviews aren’t as good as Three Houses. Which I expected. The discussion might be worth avoiding. Tho all review threads are worth avoiding.

BOTW was like the tamest one cause everything was positive and the low score reviews happens far after the thread had any traction and flew by Under the radar

Interesting, a day earlier than expected 👀

I wonder if this means anything? Like, maybe Nintendo is pretty confident in this game? I wonder if it'll review better than 3H 👀 (aka get the coveted 90+ MC score since 3H was already at an 89).

Regardless of whether it does better or worse than 3H, the review thread (maybe not here, but on Resetera at least) will be wild lol.

Has to be its own thing. Game is very long and very interesting in its mechanics and maps.

But beside that. It’s a mainline title through and through. Might be a side story but game is completely different before it.

The other games you listed should be separate. They’re all huge games. Roy’s game Binding Blade is the smallest but it still over 20 chapters long. Blazing Blade is over 30 chapters and a few extras. Ike’s first game is about the same as Blazing blade and Radiant Dawn is probably the longest Fire Emblem game stand alone. Maybe Revelations beats it with its stupidly long maps

Only way I’m seeing a bundle if they decide to remaster them as oppose to remake. But I feel Roy’s game and Eliwood’s will be full blown remakes. Ike’s we have to see. Console games already so who knows.
Interesting. Feels like a situation where they might skip it entirely and go straight to Roy for marketing purposes.

Interesting. Feels like a situation where they might skip it entirely and go straight to Roy for marketing purposes.
That’s actually been discussed by fans since IS themselves have spoken about wanting to remake Roy’s game.

But I think they’ll keep going in order if Genealogy is next. Especially since Leif might get a boost at that time

Thracia did a lot things that are still specifically unique to it. To this day, it's the only FE game where you can defeat the final boss by doing the equivalent of stuffing him in a burlap sack if the requirements are met.

Thracia did a lot things that are still specifically unique to it. To this day, it's the only FE game where you can defeat the final boss by doing the equivalent of stuffing him in a burlap sack if the requirements are met.
I never finished Thracia (I sadly lost my safe and had no motivation to replay it) but as far as I played it was a very nice and unique game which I had a lot of fun with. Just some stuff like requirements for Sidemissions or some recruitments, were very obscure. And the fog was.... something else. But I really loved the unique elements like kidnapping enemies, stealing all their stuff or move level ups*

*Thracia spoilers:
I love my 11 move Sage Asbel. Yes he really got FOUR Move Level ups.
SPOILER_Fire_Emblem_5_-_Project_Exile_368.png

I’ll say 85. Don’t think the story is gonna win critics over much. At the very least, I fully expect it to score less than Three Houses.

89 at first but then some silly reviews complaining about irrelevant stuff (like the artstyle) start to come in and bring it down to 88 or even 87.

I saw a ad for the game where they had 6 characters from Smash:unsure::unsure:

87. Not enough school management but runs better than 3H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom