• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me: Oh, cool. Rosado is getting profiled? I should see if there's a tweet in the comments translating the details.

Also me: I was an idiot to check Twitter comments.

To be fair I’ll add that I don’t think FE is the worst offender on this topic by a very long way, it’s just kinda rife across computer games (or, well, media in general I guess) and makes me roll my eyes at this point. I’m in my 40s with my own daughter at this point and I’d have loved to be able to play videogame rpgs with her without having to have the ‘the women wear less clothes/armour in this rpg/battle game because of the otaku dollar’ chat at some point. I don’t know, It’s more just a symptom of me being tired of it all in general rather than having a moan about fire emblem in particular, I’m really looking forward to this one.

Last edited:
I think IS / FE just needs a better balance between lewd(ish) designs and designs like Titania, Sheena or Edelgard for example. Less from the former, more from the latter. Also, the fanbase is big and diverse, so they're welcome to also keep a better balance for male characters.

Don't think there will ever be a FE game without any questionable design.

The skimpiest the swimsuits have ever been was Lorenz's banana hammock. Say what you will, but that guy is overflowing with self-confidence.

The skimpiest the swimsuits have ever been was Lorenz's banana hammock. Say what you will, but that guy is overflowing with self-confidence.

Knowing he's being spied on by Lorenz, Claude just said out loudly to Hilda that Speedo's are going to be the newest trend and he's gotta get one.

Master Schemer, after all.

To be fair I’ll add that I don’t think FE is the worst offender on this topic by a very long way, it’s just kinda rife across computer games (or, well, media in general I guess) and makes me roll my eyes at this point. I’m in my 40s with my own daughter at this point and I’d have loved to be able to play games with her without having to have the ‘the women wear less clothes/armour in this rpg/battle game because of the otaku dollar’ chat at some point. I don’t know, It’s more just a symptom of me being tired of it all in general rather than having a moan about fire emblem in particular, I’m really looking forward to this one.

Outside of the clear pandering aspect of this, I'm just not a fan of seeing clearly modern attire in a game that is supposed to be medieval fantasy. Though this complaint is less about the swim suit and more about the sport attire, like the compression tights. Immersion breaking is the wrong term here (after all, this is a series where people kill with fireballs while riding a dinosaur), but...I'm just not a fan of this.

I just remembered that when 3H was about to add the sauna to the game and people were like "Ohh, this is where is heavy fanservice comes into play. Get ready for bikinis!" and then you see your units wear same unisex clothes made out of ugly gunny sack with no pandering in sight. That was a pleasant surprise.

Outside of the clear pandering aspect of this, I'm just not a fan of seeing clearly modern attire in a game that is supposed to be medieval fantasy. Though this complaint is less about the swim suit and more about the sport attire, like the compression tights. Immersion breaking is the wrong term here (after all, this is a series where people kill with fireballs while riding a dinosaur), but...I'm just not a fan of this.

I just remembered that when 3H was about to add the sauna to the game and people were like "Ohh, this is where is heavy fanservice comes into play. Get ready for bikinis!" and then you see your units wear same unisex clothes made out of ugly gunny sack with no pandering in sight. That was a pleasant surprise.
Engage does seem to be allowing more anachronism than most entries, from what I've noticed. Not just in the sports attire, but even in some of the setting details. I think I saw there's a part of Somniel with a white picket fence in the reveal trailer that made me raise an eyebrow.

Also those are some really tame swimsuits/workout suits for the amount of "PANDERING FAN SERVICE FE RUINED" reaction I've seen from some people online.
Yeah. Based on some of the reactions, you'd think everyone was wearing string bikinis. And...no?

There are places for criticism, but some people really do go looking for mountains where there's a molehill.

Also those are some really tame swimsuits/workout suits for the amount of "PANDERING FAN SERVICE FE RUINED" reaction I've seen from some people online.
Yeah, I'm looking at the screens and this seems to follow F3H sauna where everyone wears the same shorts and tops and they are very tame

Yeah that was pretty cool

So many names from FEH. This is really starting to look like FEH lite without the gacha and full FE gameplay. ^^

This trailer I dug, I avoided 3H because I felt like the school would be overwhelming, this feels closer to the hub back in Fates, which I can wrap my brain around easier. I am excited for the bond ring stuff and the small boosts and the evolution of those separate from the engagement ring skill stuff. I like how both will emphasize different tweaking.

Sharing maps is really neat. I wonder how creative we can get. Reminds me of Fates Castles were I put all puppets/golems on 1 corner and they would kill anything on sight lol.

Last edited:
Starting the trailer now, but I think my new Nintendo ick is when they phrase a game as "The [Fire Emblem Engage] Game"

Just say Fire Emblem: Engage. Why put The and Game in it?

The environments look great and I love the Bassa nova rendition of the main theme that shows up at 3:20.

Starting the trailer now, but I think my new Nintendo ick is when they phrase a game as "The [Fire Emblem Engage] Game"

The environments look great and I love the Bassa nova rendition of the main theme that shows up at 3:20.
That's just how NOA marketing refers to all of their games in trailer narration.

They've been doing that for ages. I agree it sounds very stupid and robotic. Maybe it's a translation thing?

So I have two thoughts on that trailer:

1. It's really impressive how much of an improvement they've made to the visuals compared to Three Houses
2. If one of my allies wakes me up while I'm resting, I'm sending them to die in the next battle

"The Fire Emblem Engage game" is definitely a bit goofy, but I don't think anything will ever top "Wave 3 of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass DLC for the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe game". That one is still in a league of its own.

Quite liking the look of the hub activities. I always enjoy fishing in rpgs. As long as it doesn’t become a chore of half an hour of admin between battles to keep all the sub-systems and skills and various relationship meters and whatnot up to date, it’s all good.

Quite liking the look of the hub activities. I always enjoy fishing in rpgs. As long as it doesn’t become a chore of half an hour of admin between battles to keep all the sub-systems and skills and various relationship meters and whatnot up to date, it’s all good.
I kind of hope it is that, honestly, lol. I loved that part of Three Houses. Do we know yet if you still train units in a similar fashion, or how unit advancement works? I’ve been a little out of the loop

For the most part it seems like the stuff you can do at the school in 3H, which I enjoyed tbh.

I wonder what the restriction on your time is, if any, on your between battle activities. Nothing in the trailer indicates you have any kind of limited actions which makes sense for the more chilled atmosphere they're going with in the trailer, but how does it not get abused? Some things are clearly tied to limited items like fishing and cooking, but can you just send everyone to the Arena till their max level? I hope some things can be automate like the exercise minigame. I'd happily take a lesser buff then have to do it every battle.

I kind of hope it is that, honestly, lol. I loved that part of Three Houses. Do we know yet if you still train units in a similar fashion, or how unit advancement works? I’ve been a little out of the loop
No idea, but I suspect it’s not using the same lecture setup to teach skills.
For the most part it seems like the stuff you can do at the school in 3H, which I enjoyed tbh.
I was fine with it in the first half, but it was a drag in the second half for me where it felt a lot emptier (for obvious reasons!) and just repeating the same stuff a lot. If it’s all a bit more compact it’ll help.

The school stuff in Three Houses for sure wore out its welcome. But I think that's because of a few flaws in its implementation that I'm hoping they address in Engage. For one, a lot of the activities were worthless, so you were only every deciding between a couple of activities to use your points. Also, by the late game, you had way too many activity points. This made the activities more obviously about optimizing your stats than actually spending time with characters. Both of those flaws seem relatively straightforward to address

"The Fire Emblem Engage game" is definitely a bit goofy, but I don't think anything will ever top "Wave 3 of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass DLC for the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe game". That one is still in a league of its own.
Oh god yeah that was gruesome.

Somniel looks like way much more fun than the monastery.

Also I loved the dragon riding minigame, looks like bird riding in Skyward Sword.

Can't wait to play this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom