• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t really get the ‘too much FE’ complaints. The last one came out three years ago last summer, and we’ve had a warriors game since? I don’t much care for Musou, or most of Nintendo’s other first-party games outside of Zelda. I don’t sit there thinking ‘too much Splatoon’ or ‘too much Mario’ or ‘too much Xenoblade’. At that point I wonder if either people get bored of reading the constant news cycle about the games they don’t play, or mistakenly think that games in x series stop games by Y other studio getting made. In which case there’s a really easy answer to the former and the latter is just plain wrong.
I think it spawns from the Smash fandom's angst that FE has as much representation with playable fighters as it does. It's largely irrational.

Not really been following this game as I didn’t enjoy the last one (hated walking round the school) I’m assuming the School’s back in this one?
Fire Emblem games sometimes have areas you can walk around in, more commonly in later titles, but the school thing was only in Three Houses. Don't expect it to come back anytime soon

I don’t really get the ‘too much FE’ complaints. The last one came out three years ago last summer, and we’ve had a warriors game since? I don’t much care for Musou, or most of Nintendo’s other first-party games outside of Zelda. I don’t sit there thinking ‘too much Splatoon’ or ‘too much Mario’ or ‘too much Xenoblade’. At that point I wonder if either people get bored of reading the constant news cycle about the games they don’t play, or mistakenly think that games in x series stop games by Y other studio getting made. In which case there’s a really easy answer to the former and the latter is just plain wrong.

As with a lot of gaming discussion, it's all euphemism.

I wish people would just come out and say "I wish the franchise I care about was getting more games instead." - because that's what they mean.

As with a lot of gaming discussion, it's all euphemism.

I wish people would just come out and say "I wish the franchise I care about was getting more games instead." - because that's what they mean.
These people also don't seen to realize that, it being their own franchise they co-own with Nintendo and now that it's more successful than ever, of course IS wants to grow it.

Screenshot_20221213-191336_Chrome.jpg

If you FEH players don't vote for the Sigurd/Deirdre duo unit, I will BURN YOUR HOUSES DOWN WITH BOLGANONE be mildly disappointed.

Today's tweets, some old stuff and some new stuff as per usual. Looks like you can fight Emblems in the arena, but they cost bond crystals. I love how the characters introduce themselves before fighting, lol.

Screenshot_20221213-191336_Chrome.jpg

If you FEH players don't vote for the Sigurd/Deirdre duo unit, I will BURN YOUR HOUSES DOWN WITH BOLGANONE be mildly disappointed.

I voted for the base Sigurd. I have been paid by Arvis to do so.

(Also, i don't need more cav dancers in player hands and i definitely don't need more legendary Sigurds with their shitty movement buffs)

Today's tweets, some old stuff and some new stuff as per usual. Looks like you can fight Emblems in the arena, but they cost bond crystals. I love how the characters introduce themselves before fighting, lol.

Yes, female MC design is horrible (while I somehow like the male one, don't know if its for the breasts lol)
Yes, returining character is a fanservice approach, but maybe the right one to cheer about the anniversary, and honestly..I'm hyped by some of these rings-characters and it seems that the story and the lore and the new characters will still be there, at least as in any Fire Emblem, and we can't judge the quality of the story in a way or another right now (and divine dragons are gold, in any cae lol)

But what I'm seeing here is a visually stunning (for its standard) Fire Emblem, with (apparently, of course) a lot of game features and gameplay elements that made me love the saga, so I CAN'T WAIT!

I have not been keeping up with FEH, but CYL season is NEALUCHI SEASON BABY.

Forgot when CYL voting phase usually happens, but if it's after Engage's release (and the all but confirmed Engage banner coming at the same time in FEH), it's going to be a Alear fest.

One of the previews commented on people not knowing who most of the older lords were and if that would impact people's enjoyment?

???

Ignoring Heroes for a moment, the only FE Lords to not have their games officially localized are Sigurd, Leaf, and Roy. Far more people would probably know who Roy is thanks to Smash bros even if his game was localized (and he shows up in the end of Blazing Blade as a child). That leaves 2/12 emblem rings as being relative unknowns, Sigurd and Leaf. If the rumors of the next FE after this being a remake of 4 are true, that'll mean all 12 Emblem rings will appear in an officially localized English game (Leaf is a recruitable character in FE4, Leaf's game FE5 is a side story set during the events of FE4).

Then you add in Heroes to the mix, and the odds of people not knowing Sigurd and Leaf drastically go down.

I don't know why, but the design of the blond armored knight makes me laugh, specially in context of the other designs.
Intelligent Systems was like "Look, we restrained ourselves pretty hard here. To balance this out, let's get crazy/fanservice-y with almost every other female unit"
Not giving her a boob plate must've took extreme willpower.

Last edited:
I don't know why, but the design of the blond armored knight makes me laugh, specially in context of the other designs.
Intelligent Systems was like "Look, we restrained ourselves pretty hard here. To balance this out, let's get crazy/fanservice-y with almost every other female unit"
I'm sure she'll have some alternate costumes for people who want to put her in a skimpy outfit

They also probably realized she's an armor knight in a classic FE game so she's probably bad and won't get used much.

ikr

for this reason I had decided that this one was Not For Me

but the ability to put units in real clothes has me sorta considering it again

the rest of the game looks great but I can only take So Much, of That

Alright ultimately... I think I am excited for this.

On the cons side:
  • Not a fan of anime design
  • Feel like the plot will be mediocre too fanservicey

On the pros side:
  • It looks like the focus is therefore on maps and gameplay
  • Previews say there is less Sims stuff and less padding like the church. One things I like my FEs to have is replayability and I hope this increases it!
  • While the designs are not my taste the graphics are vastly improved and eye-pleasing

PS: If the remake of Genealogy of the Holy War remake are true then I hope Intelligence Systems hedged their bets with a much more mature design for that game!

Hope for the best!

I mean I doubt this was their mindset.

One of the previews commented on people not knowing who most of the older lords were and if that would impact people's enjoyment?
As someone that barely knows anything about the past lords, I don't think it will hinder my enjoyment at all. I think it will be interesting getting to know them a bit in this game. At most, I think I will just miss out on references which I don't think will be an issue really. Unless in game we are supposed to take a quiz about each character before using their rings, I don't think it will be an issue lol

Forgot when CYL voting phase usually happens, but if it's after Engage's release (and the all but confirmed Engage banner coming at the same time in FEH), it's going to be a Alear fest.
Engage releases right around when CYL usually takes place, so I could see it either making the ballot or somehow just missing it, but I'm betting IS is definitely going to put it on.

I'm sure she'll have some alternate costumes for people who want to put her in a skimpy outfit

They also probably realized she's an armor knight in a classic FE game so she's probably bad and won't get used much.
The Japanese trailer footage last week included Jade (the armor knight) Engaging with Tiki. Even if she has the usual cons of armored units, Emblems might be able to balance that out.

Engage releases right around when CYL usually takes place, so I could see it either making the ballot or somehow just missing it, but I'm betting IS is definitely going to put it on.

The Japanese trailer footage last week included Jade (the armor knight) Engaging with Tiki. Even if she has the usual cons of armored units, Emblems might be able to balance that out.
You could also just give a good unit the same Emblem and have a great unit instead of giving a bad unit and Emblem and making them a good unit. This is the classic boots argument, though obviously an Emblem is far more powerful then a single pair of boots. FE is generally an easy enough franchise that you can use your favorites and still succeed, unless your favorites are Meg from FE10 or Gwendolyn from FE6 who are meme tier bad.

I think IS will take the announcement trailer for the Engage banner as the "deadline". If that happens before CYL, they're going to add them because the players now know about the units. And it's only a day or two at max before they drop in the game.

Though, weren't they giving out Byleth early for every player before the first Three Houses banner dropped? Could do the same here.

About Armor Knight movement, slap Sigurd on them, boom, Armor Knight with cav movement! (Kidding, even IS would understand how bad that would be.)

I think IS will take the announcement trailer for the Engage banner as the "deadline". If that happens before CYL, they're going to add them because the players now know about the units. And it's only a day or two at max before they drop in the game.

Though, weren't they giving out Byleth early for every player before the first Three Houses banner dropped? Could do the same here.

About Armor Knight movement, slap Sigurd on them, boom, Armor Knight with cav movement! (Kidding, even IS would understand how bad that would be.)
Yeah, if you registered Three Houses for Gold Points, you got a free Byleth unit. They could easily do the same for Alear.

You could also just give a good unit the same Emblem and have a great unit instead of giving a bad unit and Emblem and making them a good unit. This is the classic boots argument, though obviously an Emblem is far more powerful then a single pair of boots. FE is generally an easy enough franchise that you can use your favorites and still succeed, unless your favorites are Meg from FE10 or Gwendolyn from FE6 who are meme tier bad.
While this is true, we also don't know the extent to which armor knights are going to get dunked on in Engage quite yet. I'd hope they aren't meme-tier bad, but we'll find out!

???

Ignoring Heroes for a moment, the only FE Lords to not have their games officially localized are Sigurd, Leaf, and Roy. Far more people would probably know who Roy is thanks to Smash bros even if his game was localized (and he shows up in the end of Blazing Blade as a child). That leaves 2/12 emblem rings as being relative unknowns, Sigurd and Leaf. If the rumors of the next FE after this being a remake of 4 are true, that'll mean all 12 Emblem rings will appear in an officially localized English game (Leaf is a recruitable character in FE4, Leaf's game FE5 is a side story set during the events of FE4).

Then you add in Heroes to the mix, and the odds of people not knowing Sigurd and Leaf drastically go down.
I think you underestimate how many people started with Awakening or even Three Houses. To them pretty much everyone is either “person from Smash” or an unknown.

My biggest concern about Awakening -> Engage is that we might end up getting an anniversary game every ten years, and considering new Fire Emblems only come out every 3-4 years that's genuinely too often

I think you underestimate how many people started with Awakening or even Three Houses. To them pretty much everyone is either “person from Smash” or an unknown.
True, but to cite lack of familiarity with the series legacy as a turn-off instead of an opportunity to learn more is kind of close-minded.

True, but to cite lack of familiarity with the series legacy as a turn-off instead of an opportunity to learn more is kind of close-minded.
People are fickle and it's not like gamers are open-minded either haha. It's hard to predict if "newer" players will take an issue with these past lords. I'd like to think it'd make them interested in the games those lords were in but maybe others would think differently. Maybe they'd end up detached from the game. I can't really blame the IGN guy for putting that in the preview. It didn't sound he thought it was bad personally but more just spitballing what other people could find to be a negative.

My biggest concern about Awakening -> Engage is that we might end up getting an anniversary game every ten years, and considering new Fire Emblems only come out every 3-4 years that's genuinely too often
I don't think this will be the case. Awakening was very much a "this might be the last game, so let's throw the kitchen sink in" situation. It does feel like we've reached a point where they should hold off, just based on Awakening, FEH, and now Engage all playing the nostalgia card, though.

People are fickle and it's not like gamers are open-minded either haha. It's hard to predict if "newer" players will take an issue with these past lords. I'd like to think it'd make them interested in the games those lords were in but maybe others would think differently. Maybe they'd end up detached from the game. I can't really blame the IGN guy for putting that in the preview. It didn't sound he thought it was bad personally but more just spitballing what other people could find to be a negative.
That is true. I just think it's an odd point to make about a series that, JPN-exclusive releases aside, is seeing more worldwide exposure than ever.

I don't think this will be the case. Awakening was very much a "this might be the last game, so let's throw the kitchen sink in" situation. It does feel like we've reached a point where they should hold off, just based on Awakening, FEH, and now Engage all playing the nostalgia card, though.
Don't forget Echoes, the FE1 translation/rerelease, and the persistent rumor of an FE4 remake

Since Radiant Dawn, only two Fire Emblem releases haven't played the nostalgia card: Fates and Three Houses

I hadn't thought of this up to now, but on reflection, my reticence regarding the nostalgia focus for Engage is actually pretty grounded: there has been an utter paucity of unflinching newness in the past 15 years

Don't forget Echoes, the FE1 translation/rerelease, and the persistent rumor of an FE4 remake

Since Radiant Dawn, only two Fire Emblem releases haven't played the nostalgia card: Fates and Three Houses

I hadn't thought of this up to now, but on reflection, my reticence regarding the nostalgia focus for Engage is actually pretty grounded: there has been an utter paucity of unflinching newness in the past 15 years
To be fair to Echoes, that was a near total remake of Gaiden, a game from 1992 that casual FE fans really only ever regarded as a weird black sheep. And most of the characters from Gaiden never even had proper official art. It only benefitted from being remade. And the remake did a lot of new things, even if a number of elements were direct revisions of ideas that hadn't been revisited since Gaiden, like the dungeons, town exploration, dual story paths moving in tandem, and the like. Its combat also wasn't afraid to harken back to Gaiden with the lack of the weapon triangle (and axe-wielding player units in general) and a magic system that relied on HP expenditure instead of a stack of tomes. The game also introduced turn-rewinding.

As much as it is a remake, it was shockingly fresh for ideas after Awakening and Fates.

If you look at it since RD, there have only been 3 mainline games, 4 next year (a remake and 2 musous games). I don't think we can reach a conclusion on that. FE1 was a celebration release and Echoes was release when the uncertainty of the switch was still in the air. And it was a great and different take from 3ds FE games.

I wouldn't worry. If this game was intended for the 30th anniversary I would get it since its a big number but they don't do anniversary thing like other franchises. I think so their 20th all they did a book.

This feels a bit unfair to Echoes and (I’m assuming) the Genealogy remake. Echoes didn’t really play any sort of nostalgia card, instead presenting itself as a brand new game. That’s quite a bit different than Awakening and especially Engage, which deliberately lean into the nostalgia.

I guess a better way of putting it is that anyone with little to no knowledge of Fire Emblem wouldn’t be able to tell that Echoes is a remake, whereas they’d probably be able to figure out that Engage is relying on the series’s history.

Also, assuming the game after Engage is an FE4 remake, that's still two brand new entries between Echoes and FE4 remade.

My friends, even if a remake is a very forward-thinking remake, it is still playing the nostalgia card by nature of being a remake. The Tactics Ogre remake is playing the nostalgia card; a top-to-bottom remake of Ogre Battle 64 with a modernization of all of its systems and completely redone art would still be playing the nostalgia card

This is not to take away from Shadows of Valentia's status as a good game, but it is called Fire Emblem Echoes for a reason, and that reason is it is specifically evoking the series's past

My friends, even if a remake is a very forward-thinking remake, it is still playing the nostalgia card by nature of being a remake. The Tactics Ogre remake is playing the nostalgia card; a top-to-bottom remake of Ogre Battle 64 with a modernization of all of its systems and completely redone art would still be playing the nostalgia card

This is not to take away from Shadows of Valentia's status as a good game, but it is called Fire Emblem Echoes for a reason, and that reason is it is specifically evoking the series's past
It is a remake and to an extent treads on nostalgia, true. But Gaiden is a pretty obscure game in the series that most modern fans had never touched, and they certainly didn't play it safe.

I'm half-joking when I say this, but prior to Echoes, I'd wager most people that had heard of Gaiden knew it mostly for having dungeons, and for Bad Box Art Valbar.

Guess I just disagree on what the "nostalgia card" entails then. To me, that describes a deliberate effort to incorporate a franchise's past into the next entry, and fully leaning into that idea. Engage is very blatant about being a celebration of the franchise's legacy and history, whereas Echoes plays it completely straight. There's a pretty distinct difference in each game's identity, with Engage embracing the idea of being a callback while Echoes portrays itself as a brand new entry, even though Echoes is quite a bit more derivative of the past considering that it's, well, a remake. That's quite a bit different in my eyes.

It gets even muddier when you start to question what counts in regards to "nostalgia". Do certain gameplay elements returning count as evoking nostalgia? Character tropes? Story beats? Etc.

Guess I just disagree on what the "nostalgia card" entails then. To me, that describes a deliberate effort to incorporate a franchise's past into the next entry, and fully leaning into that idea.
This was my thought, because if we are being honest a lot of the new FE fanbase started with awakening and exploded with 3H so at best they know some characters from Smash. So unlike let's say Pokemon, who brings back fan favorites in their games, I guarantee if or when FE4 remakes comes out it will be the first western exposure to those characters.

I have to be honest that I also have mixed feelings about Fire Emblem: Engage. Based on the previews, it seems to be another more traditional Fire Emblem game. There is a greater emphasis on tactical gameplay than live sim. That's a very good thing. That of the Garreg Mach Monastery in Three Houses seemed very interesting on paper, but it quickly became very irritating. I'm glad we got rid of that.

I am also pleased with the improved graphics. The Fire Emblem games were never known for their graphics, but I was disappointed to see that Three Houses often didn't look that much better than Radiant Dawn. Is a different engine being used for Engage?

The Fire Emblem series has had a lot of fanservice lately, but what they are doing with Engage is very blatant. I'm not exactly a fan of how they integrate the Lords of past games into the game and the story. We've already had something similar in Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Fire Emblem Heroes. I would have preferred that they didn't do something like that in the mainline series. I find the way of how Awakening dealt with nostalgia and fanservice much more interesting.

I guess I will wait for reviews and opinions on the story. It is possible that I will skip this game.

I also wonder where the Genealogy of the Holy War remake is. I am very much looking forward to that. I think there was some Brazilian leaker who leaked its existence in 2021 (it happened along with a 2D Metroid game, a new Splatoon game and a Pokémon Diamond remake- all of which have since been released).

Last edited:
I have to be honest that I also have mixed feelings about Fire Emblem: Engage. Based on the previews, it seems to be another more traditional Fire Emblem game. There is a greater emphasis on tactical gameplay than live sim. That's a very good thing. That of the Garreg Mach Monastery in Three Houses seemed very interesting on paper, but it quickly became very irritating. I'm glad we got rid of that.

I am also pleased with the improved graphics. The Fire Emblem games were never known for their graphics, but I was disappointed to see that Three Houses often didn't look that much better than Radiant Dawn. Is a different engine being used for Engage?

The Fire Emblem series has had a lot of fanservice lately, but what they are doing with Engage is very blatant. I'm not exactly a fan of how they integrate the Lords of past games into the game and the story. We've already had something similar in Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Fire Emblem Heroes. I would have preferred that they didn't do something like that in the mainline series. I find the way of how Awakening dealt with nostalgia and fanservice much more interesting.

I guess I will wait for reviews and opinions on the story. It is possible that I will skip this game.

I also wonder where the Genealogy of the Holy War remake is. I am very much looking forward to that. I think there was some Brazilian leaker who leaked its existence about two-three years ago (if I remember correctly, it happened along with the 2D Metroid game and a new Splatoon game - both of which have since been released).
To be fair to FEH, its core storyline doesn't involve the legacy heroes to any great extent. It's always had a focus on its OCs in terms of the storyline, and that focus has only gotten stronger over the years. The only legacy character to play any level of importance in FEH's plot, other than FEH Anna, is Veronica's summoned Xander, who most recently was just present to serve as a go-between for Bruno and Veronica.

Saying that remakes are catering to nostalgia is pretty disingenuous, especially when for a large chunk of the audience those remakes are indistinguishable from a new game. I'll also defend both Awakening and Engage's main story use of nostalgia as both (hopefully for Engage) don't need the player to have nostalgia for Marth or the other FE lords for their impact on the narrative to work.

Regardless of if you played FE1/3/11/12 or not, the masked Swordsman claiming to be a hero from 1,000 years works in a general sense. Same with 12 ancient heroes from the past and the battle to posses the rings that house their powers.

Both stories would work the same if you had OC ancient heroes and not the classic FE lords. If anything if Engage had a 12 OC rings everyone would be speculating about a prologue story dlc starring those OC's like we see with Xenoblade 3.

Y'all, just to be clear, I'm not going to individually reply to multiple folks telling me that they don't think remakes play the nostalgia card by default. Message received, but I very much disagree, as a guy who plays Zelda games and owns the four remakes they've put out in the past ten years (fewer years, I guess; I forget when WWHD came out)

The presence of these games in the West, or lack thereof, doesn't preclude these games playing the nostalgia card, because their very existence is predicated on the settings, characters, and music from the old days

Saying that remakes are catering to nostalgia is pretty disingenuous, especially when for a large chunk of the audience those remakes are indistinguishable from a new game. I'll also defend both Awakening and Engage's main story use of nostalgia as both (hopefully for Engage) don't need the player to have nostalgia for Marth or the other FE lords for their impact on the narrative to work.

Regardless of if you played FE1/3/11/12 or not, the masked Swordsman claiming to be a hero from 1,000 years works in a general sense. Same with 12 ancient heroes from the past and the battle to posses the rings that house their powers.

Both stories would work the same if you had OC ancient heroes and not the classic FE lords. If anything if Engage had a 12 OC rings everyone would be speculating about a prologue story dlc starring those OC's like we see with Xenoblade 3.
I'd argue that the engage rings would be much more interesting if they embodied the spirits of twelve ancient heroes who were original to Engage, similar to the spirit of Durban inhabiting or guarding the Armads in FE7. It would, in fact, be pretty sick as a way to build up the history of the world and flesh out the setting where a protagonist who's been asleep for a thousand years might actually know those heroes, and they might know the protagonist

God, that's a cool idea. Now I wish they'd done that

???

I agree with you but the irony of Leif's name being mispelled on the entire post isn't lost on me.

To be fair to Echoes, that was a near total remake of Gaiden, a game from 1992 that casual FE fans really only ever regarded as a weird black sheep. And most of the characters from Gaiden never even had proper official art. It only benefitted from being remade. And the remake did a lot of new things, even if a number of elements were direct revisions of ideas that hadn't been revisited since Gaiden, like the dungeons, town exploration, dual story paths moving in tandem, and the like. Its combat also wasn't afraid to harken back to Gaiden with the lack of the weapon triangle (and axe-wielding player units in general) and a magic system that relied on HP expenditure instead of a stack of tomes. The game also introduced turn-rewinding.

As much as it is a remake, it was shockingly fresh for ideas after Awakening and Fates.

If anything, adding characters such as Berkut to an old game proves that modern IS can write.

Last edited:

Tonight's tweets. Looks like you can change the music in Somniel at the jukebox! In the Somniel trailer, we saw unlockable songs from older FE games via amiibo, and it looks like we can change the music to different original songs from Engage as well, but I wonder if you can change the music to any song from Engage? Maybe they unlock in a similar fashion to the sound test in 3H, where just encountering the song for the first time unlocks it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom