• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m excited for this game because it looks really fun.

I’m also not excited for this game because I know that when it comes out most of the newer/casual fanbase will enjoy it, while the older/“hardcore” fanbase will act like this is the worst thing that has ever happened to them and all discussion on the game and most likely the entire series will be ruined for the following 3-4 years, especially if this becomes the new best selling entry.

Please. I can’t take another Fates situation.
Fire Emblem is a franchise that constantly has old fans crying that the new games ruined the series and "maybe it'd be better if FE had just died". It first happened in the early 00's when Kaga left the franchise and the new FE games had a more modern art style to appeal to "casuals/weebs" and the games included things like tutorials and difficulty options making the games too easy. It happened again in the 10's when Awakening and Fates saved the franchise and caused it to explode into the stratosphere. Once again we have people complaining about a more modern art style being too "casual/weeb" and the games including things like customizable characters and the ability to turn off permadeath making the games too easy.

Fire Emblem is a franchise that constantly has old fans crying that the new games ruined the series and "maybe it'd be better if FE had just died". It first happened in the early 00's when Kaga left the franchise and the new FE games had a more modern art style to appeal to "casuals/weebs" and the games included things like tutorials and difficulty options making the games too easy. It happened again in the 10's when Awakening and Fates saved the franchise and caused it to explode into the stratosphere. Once again we have people complaining about a more modern art style being too "casual/weeb" and the games including things like customizable characters and the ability to turn off permadeath making the games too easy.
Fire Emblem fandom has a diverse range of eras and preferences, but I don't know if any segment of it is as obnoxious as the Kaga stans still pearl-clutching their copies of TearRing Saga.

It's not that much of a U-turn. Most of what was in that trailer was there in Three Houses. Minigames like fishing, socializing via meals, and tea parties are all examples of that. The context is just different in Engage. There's a greater variety of minigames, meals are still present, and tea time appears to have been replaced with polishing rings. And yes, people can think it suggestive, but also, they're rings.

This is still a far cry from Fates, and I feel like this is the old FE fandom alarmism sneaking back in.
I wasn't just talking about the side-activities. It is pretty clear that the game is heavily inspired by the 3DS era, particulary Fateswakening. The whole story set-up with the Fell Dragon, Alear being a half-dragon, Alear having amnesia + a teased dark secret, the royals with their retainers, the dumb character designs + leaning to fanservice etc. Granted, stuff like dark cults trying to ressurect Fell Dragons were also a theme in older games, but the parallels to the 3DS games are apparent.
Now that doesn't mean that the game is going to be shite, Fates is leagues above Echoes or Three Houses in terms of gameplay. So if Engage delivers in a similar manner, then that's great. But why does it always have to be an "Either...or" situation with this franchise?

Fire Emblem fandom has a diverse range of eras and preferences, but I don't know if any segment of it is as obnoxious as the Kaga stans still pearl-clutching their copies of TearRing Saga.
This is the first time I see someone refer to TearRing Saga as the holy grail of Kaga-Emblem games.

Last edited:
Yeah this happens with series that spans years (minus Mario I guess). "Appeasing" all the fans is an impossible feat. I've never understood the disagreement with options (for either character customization or permadeath), it brings in more people and you can ignore it.

I wasn't just talking about the side-activities. It is pretty clear that the game is heavily inspired by the 3DS era, particulary Fateswakening. The whole story set-up with the Fell Dragon, Alear being a half-dragon, Alear having amnesia + a teased dark secret, the royals with their retainers, the dumb character designs + leaning to fanservice etc. Granted, stuff like dark cults trying to ressurect Fell Dragons were also a theme in older games, but the parallels to the 3DS games are apparent.
Now that doesn't mean that the game is going to be shite, Fates is leagues above Echoes or Three Houses in terms of gameplay. So if Engage delivers in a similar manner, then that's great. But why does it always have to be an "Either...or" situation with this franchise?

This is the first time I see someone refer to TearRing Saga as the holy grail of Kaga-Emblem games.
I could have said Thracia, but TRS was just more comically evocative to me for some reason. 😛

Anyway!

I think it's a bit of an overstatement to call this an either-or situation. I know it might feel that way, but the series isn't shy about reusing plot elements (resurrecting evil dragons is a go-to) down to the most innocuous character archetype tropes. (It was refreshing to see entries without Jagens or Christmas Knights.)

Things like members of royalty having retainers isn't specifically a Fates callback. That's just more of an establishing historical relationship between characters. Elements like that, or the Avatar dragon lead, may be similar to Fates, but it's not something to sweat over absent of larger context. It's like when people learned that Three Houses would have a school setting and branching paths. People jumped to conclusions that it would be The Worst. And it's exhausting to see this cycle play out every time.

This looks more and more like the Xenoblade 2 of Fire Emblem

An entry with great core gameplay, but one sparking endless arguing because of character designs and the anime fanservice that's reviled by portions of the fanbase

I'm still day one because it looks fun and I have enough anime tolerance to deal, but I can't say I'm happy with this direction tbh

This looks more and more like the Xenoblade 2 of Fire Emblem

An entry with great core gameplay, but one sparking endless arguing because of character designs and the anime fanservice that's reviled by portions of the fanbase

I'm still day one because it looks fun and I have enough anime tolerance to deal, but I can't say I'm happy with this direction tbh
Wasn't Fates already that?

I'm still pissed with the brown people country, I still feel insulted by that.

But another thing I wish they did better is the character portrait. This is I think the first time we don't have the 2D portraits of the characters in game, but only the character 3D models actually talking.

Mika Pikazo has such great art, but none of it is apparent in the models. The female characters have same faces mostly.

I know everyone likes to dump on Fates, and in many cases rightfully so, but it's impossible to deny it's sales success and lasting popularity among FE fans.
We actually don't know how well Fates sold, to my understanding, because each route counted as a different sale even when it was sold as DLC. If you purchased the special edition that had all three routes (like I did), I believe that counted as buying three separate copies of the game

Now it's possible that the vast majority of the people only ever owned one route, but the problem is that we have no way of knowing, and the game may have been played by fewer people than Awakening as consequence

We actually don't know how well Fates sold, to my understanding, because each route counted as a different sale even when it was sold as DLC. If you purchased the special edition that had all three routes (like I did), I believe that counted as buying three separate copies of the game

Now it's possible that the vast majority of the people only ever owned one route, but the problem is that we have no way of knowing, and the game may have been played by fewer people than Awakening as consequence
We know the game sold over "3 million copies" per Nintendo. However that breaks down into unique players vs people who bought the other 2 routes is impossible to know much in the same way it's impossible to know how many sales of Pokemon are to unique gamers vs people buying both copies so they don't need to trade with randos. At the end of the day it's still in the top 3 best selling games in the franchise by the only metric that really matters, how Nintendo/IS is counting unit sales.

Even if you want to be extremely unfavorable and say only 1 million people bought Fates and they're all fanatics who bought every route, 1 million unique buyers still puts the game in the top 3 for mainline games.

I'm still pissed with the brown people country, I still feel insulted by that.
What's the issue with those characters?

That was one of the aspects of the couple trailers I saw that I immediately appreciated, i.e. attractive dark-skinned hero characters. Is it coming off as cultural-katamari-grabass?

Handsome Claude was a great step forward, but darker-skinned characters in FE have usually been villains.

I haven't kept up with all the latest trailers tho, hopefully nothing blargh was shown.

===

I wonder if they are gonna work in any FE Heroes characters into this?

Given the premise of the two games, i.e. series celebration and crossover, seems like a no-brainer. I grew to rather like the main characters of Heroes in the time I played despite being kinda cookie-cutter personality. (And I've always liked that character designer).

Looks like this'll be Fates 2 in terms of community division, but those games are still popular (and IIRC the best selling units in Fire Emblem Heroes data)

I don't mind the silly stuff because every other FE game has silliness in it. I just think it's hitting people harder since the second half of Three Houses is probably the most serious it's been alongside like, Radiant Dawn.

Where is this leak about towns and stuff? Does it say you can explore different towns or just the castle they showed
The Reddit leaker who leaked the first four leaked images (everything except the front view of female Alear) revealed a bit more information in the comments of the post. One of his comments said this:
Free roaming on the overworld map will return; you won't be restricted to one location like the monastery in Three Houses. There will also be movement through towns and dungeons similar to Shadows of Valentia. Most of the new characters come from two different cities, one of which is aquatic themed.
Source:

Now, the "aquatic themed city" thing hasn't been confirmed (although, now that I think about it, he could've been talking about Somniel itself since it looks very resort-like), but the free-roaming overworld map seems to be true, so this is starting to look a bit more likely. I think we could get a Direct for the game next week that reveals towns and dungeons among other things, especially since Nintendo's Western branches haven't posted translated versions of the Somniel trailer yet (I'm thinking they'll want to detail it first in the hypothetical Direct before posting the translated vid). Or maybe we'll just keep getting a bunch of new trailer shadowdrops idk.

That was one of the aspects of the couple trailers I saw that I immediately appreciated, i.e. attractive dark-skinned hero characters. Is it coming off as cultural-katamari-grabass?
Someone can correct me if I get this wrong, but it basically goes like this:

1. The characters are very much from a Middle East-styled setting with ME-inspired architecture but their character designs are more like a weird pastiche of Pacific Islander stereotypes

2. As a consequence of 1, they fall into some Orientalist tropes that are very common in Japanese media with regards to depictions of North African or Middle Eastern peoples, where everyone is dressed like a belly dancer or an illustration from an old copy of 1001 Nights (sort of like the Gerudo)

3. Corollary to 2, the brown-skinned characters so far are an exotic dancer girl whose outfit makes no sense and... I forget what the guy is like

In general: shit sucks

Handsome Claude was a great step forward, but darker-skinned characters in FE have usually been villains.

I haven't kept up with all the latest trailers tho, hopefully nothing blargh was shown.

===

I wonder if they are gonna work in any FE Heroes characters into this?

Given the premise of the two games, i.e. series celebration and crossover, seems like a no-brainer. I grew to rather like the main characters of Heroes in the time I played despite being kinda cookie-cutter personality. (And I've always liked that character designer).
It would be super fun to get an Alfonse/Sharena emblem. They could also dig a bit deeper and go with someone like Fjorm or Eir.

I feel I've seen more backlash for this expansion pass than Smash, Zelda, XBC3, even Three Houses got. All of those also announced expansion passes before the game released.

I don't like the practice fwiw, but I do think there's more scrutiny here than there has been for other Nintendo games that do the same. Maybe it's cause the game is divisive already, so people are more likely to be critical of a dumb practice.

That said, it's effective. I will absolutely pay extra to have Claude in my game day 1 😂

I feel I've seen more backlash for this expansion pass than Smash, Zelda, XBC3, even Three Houses got. All of those also announced expansion passes before the game released.

I don't like the practice fwiw, but I do think there's more scrutiny here than there has been for other Nintendo games that do the same. Maybe it's cause the game is divisive already, so people are more likely to be critical of a dumb practice.

That said, it's effective. I will absolutely pay extra to have Claude in my game day 1 😂
It’s cause it’s Fire Emblem mostly. The series hasn’t justified any confidence in any of their season passes since they started with Awakening lol.

Awakening Pass was mediocre
Fates Pass was Mediocre
Echoe’s Pass was horrible and cost 45 bucks to boot
Three Houses was the first decent pass but still left to be desire.

Tho granted. I felt Breath of the Wild’s pass was also mediocre

Smash had a bit of criticism but went away quickly and now it’s at a phase where people miss it lol

Xenoblade 2 completely justified its pass and gave much more confidence for Xenoblade 3, so there was little backlash. Even if 3’s has yet to show it’s value, but it might be coming soon enough.

So in conclusion, Fire Emblem season passes have sucked mostly. But it’s grating to people more when it’s a title they don’t initially fond of lol.

I’m surprised to see the argument against day 1 DLC, that it means the game is ‘incomplete’, still pop up regarding Engage. I kinda get it when it seems like it’s indistinguishable from the main game, like it could easily have been carved off and sold for half the price again, but in this case there’s the 12 ‘main’ ring characters. Anyone extra is obviously, well, extra.

This stuff takes a small amount of time compared to the years of development on the main game, it’s not ‘taking up resources’ or anything, it’s something for staff to work on once the main game was finished probably months ago.

On top of all of that, I find this stuff easily skippable. The worst was stuff when it felt like it had been carved off the main campaign, like when Mass Effect 2 had that ‘Javik’ party member, who clearly had a lot to say and a lot of lore to hand out seeing they were part of an ancient race referenced throughout. They felt like they’d been developed alongside the main game and just been carved off to sell seperately, knowing full well lore fiends in a long rpg would want it, even if that was the plan all along. Stuff like that I find way, way more cynical than a promo ‘here’s some extra summons and items and a discount in the shop if you want them’, all of which feels both interesting to completionists but utterly skippable without making the main game feel incomplete too.

Last edited:
As I said, the problem with the Expansion Pass is that it was announced at the Game Awards on its own.

In the case of Smash and Xenoblade, the DLCs were announced in a dedicated Direct among other stuff about the games. It felt more like those were announced to tell the audience that those games will get supported after their release. Also, I don't think Xenoblade had any Day-1 DLCs so it doesn't feel as scummy as FE Engage's pass.

I actually remember that the Botw EP received a lot of backlash upon its announcement, and that was also something that was announced on its own, though it was also the first time Zelda received any kind of DLC and that was another thing that made people uneasy.

And finally like @DecoReturns said, FE's prior history whit DLCs doesn't evoke much confidence that the pass will be a good deal.

Overall it's not the worst thing ever but it is definitely an announcement that was made at the wrong place.

As I said, the problem with the Expansion Pass is that it was announced at the Game Awards on its own.

In the case of Smash and Xenoblade, the DLCs were announced in a dedicated Direct among other stuff about the games. It felt more like those were announced to tell the audience that those games will get supported after their release. Also, I don't think Xenoblade had any Day-1 DLCs so it doesn't feel as scummy as FE Engage's pass.

I actually remember that the Botw EP received a lot of backlash upon its announcement, and that was also something that was announced on its own, though it was also the first time Zelda received any kind of DLC and that was another thing that made people uneasy.

And finally like @DecoReturns said, FE's prior history whit DLCs doesn't evoke much confidence that the pass will be a good deal.

Overall it's not the worst thing ever but it is definitely an announcement that was made at the wrong place.
Nah. It’s was the right place announcement. The backlash isn’t even that bad for fire emblem compared to other titles in series. Or even other Nintendo IPs.

It got shown in a multi Platform holder type show so it got overshadow and people will move on far easier and just accept the DLC. I think it was a smart announcement to have right now. Plus if they have a fire emblem direct, the mention of it will have a subdue response

The issue is one of optics. You can get away with pre-order bonuses and cosmetics day 1, but if people feel like content that should have been in the base game is being gatekeeped from the get go, regardless of the circumstances or the fact the game has clearly been done for a while, then they will be upset. You also have to consider that it's 'making the game more expensive to buy day 1', as instead of paying $60 for it people will be paying $80+, which is a bit more eyewatering. Even if they'd released the first wave of DLC in like March people wouldn't have grumbled so much, because then at least people could have spread the cost.

I'll take a wait and see approach with it I think. Three Houses DLC was decent but not spectacular, certainly not on Xenoblade's level, and I'm not 'that' enamoured with the Three Houses Band of Brats.

The real reason people are more upset about the Engage dlc is that people are more upset about Engage in general.

It's also the "no win scenario" dlc has. If you have your dlc/season pack and the first wave come out 3-6 months after launch you get lots of "well I would have bought it when I was playing the game but I've moved on". If you make the dlc day 1 you get lots of "it should have been part of the base game this is scummy". Heaven help you if your season pass is buyable day 1 but no content comes until 3-6 months later.

I feel despite how much people on sites like this bitch about day 1 dlc, they clearly work and likely have a much stronger attaché rate then other methods of announcing season pass dlc. My biggest disappointment is that Nintendo hasn't made this, xenoblade 3, and splatoon 3's dlc passes part of the expansion pack. Would be easy added value and probably keep the "boo day 1 dlc" backlash to a minimum.

The real reason people are more upset about the Engage dlc is that people are more upset about Engage in general.

It's also the "no win scenario" dlc has. If you have your dlc/season pack and the first wave come out 3-6 months after launch you get lots of "well I would have bought it when I was playing the game but I've moved on". If you make the dlc day 1 you get lots of "it should have been part of the base game this is scummy". Heaven help you if your season pass is buyable day 1 but no content comes until 3-6 months later.

I feel despite how much people on sites like this bitch about day 1 dlc, they clearly work and likely have a much stronger attaché rate then other methods of announcing season pass dlc. My biggest disappointment is that Nintendo hasn't made this, xenoblade 3, and splatoon 3's dlc passes part of the expansion pack. Would be easy added value and probably keep the "boo day 1 dlc" backlash to a minimum.
I thought for sure Nintendo’s plan was to make their season passes going forward part of the expansion pass. But it seems to only be few titles and those made by Nintendo themselves. Would love to see Torna or Three Houses passes. Im
Surprise Zelda’s BOTW pass isn’t on it yet either.

I wonder what their process is anyways for deciding. It’s been
Octo-Expansion
Mario Kart and
Animal Crossing

I thought for sure Nintendo’s plan was to make their season passes going forward part of the expansion pass. But it seems to only be few titles and those made by Nintendo themselves. Would love to see Torna or Three Houses passes. Im

Octo-Expansion
Mario Kart and
Animal Crossing
It's because these three are multiplayer games.
The main advertising point of NSO is online, so you should only expect online related content in it.

The main advertising point of NSO is online, so you should only expect online related content in it.
Except Octopass was 99% single player content with the 1% multiplayer being the unlockable Octoling skin. Even if I agreed with you then why isn't Splatoon 3's expansion on the EP?

Octo-Expansion
Mario Kart and
Animal Crossing
Only thing I can think of is the numbers show not many people who upgraded to the EP are downloading the free expansions passes, compared to those who did for N64 and Genesis games.

Would make sense if Octo-expansion wasn’t pure single player.

But I guess I can see the added value to online games “free” season passes

The Reddit leaker who leaked the first four leaked images (everything except the front view of female Alear) revealed a bit more information in the comments of the post. One of his comments said this:

Source:

Now, the "aquatic themed city" thing hasn't been confirmed (although, now that I think about it, he could've been talking about Somniel itself since it looks very resort-like), but the free-roaming overworld map seems to be true, so this is starting to look a bit more likely. I think we could get a Direct for the game next week that reveals towns and dungeons among other things, especially since Nintendo's Western branches haven't posted translated versions of the Somniel trailer yet (I'm thinking they'll want to detail it first in the hypothetical Direct before posting the translated vid). Or maybe we'll just keep getting a bunch of new trailer shadowdrops idk.

This is BIG YES to me. I want to explore also in FE.

It’s cause it’s Fire Emblem mostly. The series hasn’t justified any confidence in any of their season passes since they started with Awakening lol.

Awakening Pass was mediocre
Fates Pass was Mediocre
Echoe’s Pass was horrible and cost 45 bucks to boot
Three Houses was the first decent pass but still left to be desire.

Tho granted. I felt Breath of the Wild’s pass was also mediocre

Smash had a bit of criticism but went away quickly and now it’s at a phase where people miss it lol

Xenoblade 2 completely justified its pass and gave much more confidence for Xenoblade 3, so there was little backlash. Even if 3’s has yet to show it’s value, but it might be coming soon enough.

So in conclusion, Fire Emblem season passes have sucked mostly. But it’s grating to people more when it’s a title they don’t initially fond of lol.
I was pretty chill with the three 3DS games in terms of extra stuff, especially cause it was easy to just buy the main story stuff and skip the rest. But, that's just my opinion, and I respect yours being different.

I think while I see your pov (even if I don't personally agree on all the expansions you mentioned being mediocre or bad) that Engage I'm having more friends come to me from the perspective of not liking it being day 1 DLC, independent of their thoughts on past practices. When I mention that this has been common for FE and other major Ninty games, many of them are surprised to hear that. So, I'm talking people who don't necessarily know offhand about this practice, but were exposed to it through the game awards and shared gripes with me.
Yeah this is my thought also. The practice invites more scrutiny because people are already split on the game itself.

Personally I'm excited for Engage. I like how vibrant and smooth it looks and I do not care about Alear's hair design even 1/10th as much as people I know, who have been consistently talking to me about how upset it makes them. It's a bit of a shame, cause I'm just excited to play a new Fire Emblem on my Nintendo Switch™️

Honestly the entire discourse around Engage has been terrible, I just prefer to enjoy it in silence lol.

By the way here is an interesting analysis by a fan translator about the question of Rosado's gender identity.

I will remain curious how they will handle them.

Last edited:
Yeah this is my thought also. The practice invites more scrutiny because people are already split on the game itself.
Which on one hand is fair (for character designs + nostalgia anniversary FEH stuff etc.) but on the other hand... maybe wait and actually play the game? Or see how impressions/reviews are first? I don't know, I seem to remember that Three Houses didn't look particularly good in trailers and it got pretty blasted for being bland-looking, the graphics, and many other things. And then when it came out reaction was pretty positive overall and it was one of the most well-liked FE games across all of the fandom in a long time.

As the saying goes, no one hates Fire Emblem more than Fire Emblem fans.
In a conv with a friend (we are both pokemon fans), I was telling him about the game, reception, etc and the first thing he mentioned: "Isn't that what we get with pokemon?" I started laughing lol.

I have no problem with day 1 DLC as part of an expansion pack like this. The only thing I don’t like is when new DLC units (like the TH trio) are overpowered out of the gate, since I’d much prefer to play the game with the base difficulty before I play with more broken DLC units. Of course I could just not use them, but that also kind of sucks if you’re getting the expansion right away.

Rosado is one of my favourite designs so far, fingers crossed they somewhat stick the landing with whatever label they go with.

I'm gonna warn y'all not to go expecting the game to launch three times higher than Three Houses

Selling almost half a million at launch would be absolutely stupefying. That's bigger than FFXVI will probably launch

My guess is Engage will likely have a 200k-300k opening few days/week in Japan at retail. That would still be a monster launch for Japan and further cement Fire Emblem's new rockstar status.

Three Houses sold 400-500k in Japan. Selling 2x that would make it one of the biggest active franchises in Japan.
Three Houses has actually sold like, 700K+ in Japan. I think it was around 20 percent of sales from previous sales updates, so it may be around 800K+ at this point if 3H has crossed 4M, which imo it likely will before Engage releases if it hasn't already. So Engage could actually end up selling 1M+ if it's able to grow from 3H.

I think he was talking about launch week sales anyway, not LTD, which imo isn't too far fetched.

Global we'll see.
Japanwise, I expect it to be a least 1.5-2 times of three houses.
Do you mean at launch? I could see that as pretty realistic—a 200-300k retail launch would be enormous for this franchise, just staggering, but it's not outside the realm of possibility

But again, if it's lifetime that would be bigger than Final Fantasy has been for like.... 15 years

I expect a much bigger launch than Three Houses, but somewhat less robust legs

Tonight's tweets 😎

Seems like leveling up your bond with an Emblem Ring grants new skills and abilities.

Also: Roy vid. Seems like we're not getting an overview video for the last six Emblems. I'm still hoping for an entire Direct lol. Maybe this week?

I'm still hoping for an entire Direct lol. Maybe this week?
This week could be possible, but I am more inclined for a FE direct on the 20th as it will be a legit month before release. It is also a Tuesday which fits with typical direct schedules. This is all assuming we get a FE direct, but I think the chances are pretty high seeing how marketing went for other games this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom