• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Engage will probably be my first Fire Emblem. What actually got me into it was heroes. I was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed the app given that the genre is something I’m typically not big on.

My question is should I start with Engage or should I start with Three Houses? The thing is Three Houses looks a little overwhelming with content and I just want to get into the battles, Is Engage the same? which should I start with? Thanks in advance!
Both are good starting points, but Engage would be the one. From reviews, combat shines in the game.

Plus the zeitgeist on a new FE release, chatting as everyone is playing it is a cool experience to help with decisions, questions, etc.

Take it at your own space, test out the difficulty modes, and have fun.

Both are good starting points, but Engage would be the one. From reviews, combat shines in the game.

Plus the zeitgeist on a new FE release, chatting as everyone is playing it is a cool experience to help with decisions, questions, etc.

Take it at your own space, test out the difficulty modes, and have fun.
Awesome, I’m glad to hear that about the combat. I’m sure if it’s similar to Heroes I’ll enjoy it. I’ve always enjoyed the character designs, just never really bothered to try the series till now.

I think what helps is that I see familiar faces that were in smash and makes it feel more welcoming.

Hey all!

Sorry to bring negativity into this thread, but am I the only one who feels like the advertising on this game was a bit poor?
I do like keeping up with Nintendo releases and the latest news about them, but the advertising I've seen on this game hasn't been very convincing to say the least.

I haven't watched any deep dives about the game, only the more surface-level promotional material, but all I know is that there is a mechanic that lets you summon past heroes (which was already a thing in previous games), and that the story sounds pretty generic. With Three Houses I actually knew what set the game apart without having to dig deeper, which got me interested, but the promotional stuff for this game has not been the same whatsoever.

FE Engage: A Pre-Launch Production Short Story
When I heard about "Fire Emblem Engage," it was a shock to me. I didn't think it would come to me, but I had always wanted to design characters for RPGs, so I felt that I definitely wanted to give it a shot. (1/7)
I had played some of the previous Fire Emblem games, and I had always loved turn-based SRPGs, so I had a lot of trouble deciding what kind of character design to use. I was honestly under a lot of pressure because the designs created by the creators of the past works were all excellent. (2/7)
As mentioned in the interview, the first character designs I created were for the main character, Lulu, and Celine. I can still remember the feelings and scenes I had when I was creating these designs. I went through every single one of the previous FE protagonist designs, put them side by side, and thought, "This is what I think the protagonist of this work should look like. (3/7)
From there, I started designing the other characters, and it was fun to expand and create each character as I thought, "This is how this character would look like. Each country had its own unique characteristics, so I spent a lot of time thinking about how the characters should look, dress, and behave in relation to their culture (for example, the Kingdom of Solum was very conscious of Latin culture) (4/7).
As mentioned in Nintendo's development interview, I supervised the 3D models myself in detail this time. Not only did I participate in online MTG, but I also went to Kyoto to check the 3D models at the development site. I supervised all the characters for several days, and there were even days like a training camp, which was a lot of fun. (5/7)
When I look at 3D models, I usually check them in T-pose (standing with arms outstretched), so I was very impressed when I saw the art director show me the various characters coming alive with flashy battle motions. Well, now that I think about it, it was all a challenge and a lot of fun, and I have good memories of it all. (6/7)
The characters in FE Engage, as well as the crestiller characters from past works, are all cute characters that I created with excitement and stomach ache, and I can't wait to see them in action. I still have more to say, but somewhere in there.
I hope you'll play it, and enjoy! Thank you. (7/7)

I thought to share (DeepL) Mika thoughts on their experience developing and supervising the characters transitions from 2D to 3D

Hey all!

Sorry to bring negativity into this thread, but am I the only one who feels like the advertising on this game was a bit poor?
I do like keeping up with Nintendo releases and the latest news about them, but the advertising I've seen on this game hasn't been very convincing to say the least.

I haven't watched any deep dives about the game, only the more surface-level promotional material, but all I know is that there is a mechanic that lets you summon past heroes (which was already a thing in previous games), and that the story sounds pretty generic. With Three Houses I actually knew what set the game apart without having to dig deeper, which got me interested, but the promotional stuff for this game has not been the same whatsoever.
If you've not watched the nearly 15 minutes of trailer footage they've put out in the past month that's on you. The only reason you likely saw more footage of 3H is because it showed up in multiple directs before it's release, where as Engage only appeared at one aka it's reveal.

Hey all!

I don't think its that the adverting is poor or that you knew more about 3 Houses before jumping in.

Let start with 3 Houses, it was the first FE mainline switch game so they wanted to build hype, however the game got delayed twice. This meant it appeared more often in multiple directs or had its own.

Versus Engage, a game that, officially, did not exist till 4 months ago. That means the marketing cycle hits a bit differently. Now at this point in the switch live cycle, Nintendo assumes you know or heard of FE so they are less reliant on feeding specific info.

So I don't blame anyone who thinks the marketing has been "poor". It just that 3 houses got a ton of it. At least that's my take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom