• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im really curious to see what people make of it, it seems like it’s got something for everyone for me, in that it’s got a ton of customisation and downtime activities but a bit more streamlined than TH, which was a fair criticism of it, particularly in the back half. I guess people that preferred the sheer darkness and shades of grey and faction politics of TH might dislike the more brightly coloured, Saturday-morning-cartoon look?

Personally, I find it refreshing- usually I’d lean closer to what TH did in terms of story and characterisation, but after playing through one heartbreaking decision after another in Triangle Strategy, I’m up for something more upbeat and clearly good v evil here. Sometimes I just want to rally good people and go mess up the bad guys. It’s a bit like D&D really, for every campaign I play where every decision is gutwrenching, it’s nice to play another where we are kicking in dungeon doors and fighting monsters without needing to unpack the nuance every time.
It's all in the execution, and I'm totally fine with a lighter story if it's done well. As long as the gameplay and customization is good and the story is engaging (lol) then I'm going to be happy.

I mean

45 in anime age is like 90 in real world so it makes sense lol
He isn't even the worst one. There's another character (that has yet to be officially announced, so I won't name them), but they actually look older than Vander, and are only 35 lmao

Anime ages are always bad, but Engage is next level bad

Seems like the game has now fully leaked online, so a spoiler thread is probably for the best if we want to have that type of discussion. Damn near everything is out and about, so godspeed to anyone trying to stay spoiler free.

So against my better judgement I've been checking out a bit of the leaked OST and... guys, this might just be the best FE OST by far. It's really high-budget too! Tons of real instruments used in the soundtrack! It had better get at least a nominee for best OST at the TGA's this year.

So against my better judgement I've been checking out a bit of the leaked OST and... guys, this might just be the best FE OST by far. It's really high-budget too! Tons of real instruments used in the soundtrack! It had better get at least a nominee for best OST at the TGA's this year.
They didn’t Acknowledge Fire Emblem Echoes soundtrack. Which was the one thing everyone loved about Echoes so I can see them for a game releasing in January. Will probably be in the back of peoples mind.

Maybe I just haven't found the good stuff, but the Engage OST hasn't really impressed me a ton yet. It's certainly good, no doubt about that, but nothing has really caught my attention yet outside of one battle track. Doubt it tops Three Houses, Echoes, or Fates for me based on what I've heard so far.
They didn’t Acknowledge Fire Emblem Echoes soundtrack. Which was the one thing everyone loved about Echoes so I can see them for a game releasing in January. Will probably be in the back of peoples mind.
Think that has more to do with 2017 being an absolutely stacked year more than anything. Those awards were loaded.

I'd honestly be shocked if the Golden Dorito Popes acknowledge Engage at all, if only because they seem to routinely ignore Fire Emblem save the year public fan voting got Three Houses an award.

I'd honestly be shocked if the Golden Dorito Popes acknowledge Engage at all, if only because they seem to routinely ignore Fire Emblem save the year public fan voting got Three Houses an award.
It also won the best strategy Geoffy that year. I'd expect Engage to at least get a strategy nomination (presuming its as good as we hope)

It's just a matter of exposure and the other games released in the same year. Three Houses released in a pretty good year, and while it sold well it certainly wasn't blowing Nintendo's socks off. A lot of it comes down to who's played what.

Swap Three Houses with Xenoblade Chronicles 3 last year, and I'd bet on seeing it receive similar recognition to that.

Seems like the game is starting to get datamined now too? For anyone who wants to remain completely spoiler free, be aware.

Some light stuff in regards to romance though:
You can, Alear has S supports. Seems like some of the underage ones are platonic, like Hortensia , Anna, and Jean. Alear is apparently 17, and most of the cast is in that age range, so I don't really know if the platonic S supports is only the obvious children or if it extends to anyone who's also 16ish. Have to imagine the older characters are also platonic too.

Also, Grandpa Vander is only 45 lmao
It's probably the beard, he actually doesn't look that old so I think 45 is probably the right age for him
Also it's literally the same support system of threehouses so all the talk of no romance were really stupid and pointless

It's probably the beard, he actually doesn't look that old so I think 45 is probably the right age for him
Also it's literally the same support system of threehouses so all the talk of no romance were really stupid and pointless
Not really. Seems like there's no paired endings for units beyond Alear, and a lot of the paired endings we got are platonic.

Interestingly enough, there seems to be no gender restriction, but the dialogue is the same regardless. So romantic pairings are romantic for both genders, while the platonic pairings stay that way.

Miiiiight have the game tomorrow if I'm lucky. If not tomorrow, then definitely wednesday.
Also, Tuesday embargo lift is pretty early for a Ninty game, right? Maybe they are extra-confident.

The strange thing is... the Gust rumor wasn't a rumor. It was part of the original leak which pretty much was point on with Alear ("Main character (main lord) has strange red and blue hair. His mother is a dragon.") and the Emblem gimmick ("New "Emblems" gimmick allows players to summon "FE characters from the past" for your squad.").

Insiders usually don't have the full picture either and often/mostly get their info second hand. It's reasonable to assume that whoever told Emily about the game might have assumed Gust was helping with the visual due to the combination of KT being the co-developer of 3H and the art style of Engage having a certain Gust vibe.

In regards to possible same-sex romance:

Male Alear can S Support: Alfred, Diamant, Fogado

Female can S Support: Merrin, Framme, Jade, Ivy, Veyle

Some of these may be platonic, as other S supports in the game are, so these are not all confirmed romance choices. I have heard Diamant's is explicitly romantic for Male Alear but can't 100% confirm

Update: Seems like they can S support everyone, but some are platonic some are romantic. Characters much older or younger than Alear are platonic, and some others are more romantic than others.

Last edited:
In regards to possible same-sex romance:

Male Alear can S Support: Alfred, Diamant, Fogado

Female can S Support: Merrin, Framme, Jade, Ivy, Veyle

Some of these may be platonic, as other S supports in the game are, so these are not all confirmed romance choices. I have heard Diamant's is explicitly romantic for Male Alear but can't 100% confirm
Pretty sure you can S Support anyone regardless of gender. Romance or platonic seems to be determined by age, rather than gender.

Wondering what's wrong with the My Nintendo Store. My Divine Edition order says shipped since yesterday morning, but i still have to get a shipping confirmation mail or anything like that.

Looks like No Gust involvement in this title. Based off the 1 party dev thread. This one is fascinating cause it was one of the “for sure” things about the original leak. Guess the look of the title made it seem very much in their style. But seems to be all IS.

Interesting enough. The other major info also was about dungeons seems to not be true as well.

Yeah this game was basically developed by the same team that made Awakening and Fate

at this point it's correct to be worried about the future of FE. This team can't tell a good story nor are they interested to. also they continue to dive deep into awkward and cringe concepts for no reason

Looks like No Gust involvement in this title. Based off the 1 party dev thread. This one is fascinating cause it was one of the “for sure” things about the original leak. Guess the look of the title made it seem very much in their style. But seems to be all IS.

Interesting enough. The other major info also was about dungeons seems to not be true as well.

Well, i can't blame anyone here, regarding art-style, it does look like a Gust game. If i wouldn't know anything about this game and someone would tell me it's a Gust game, i'd believe it.

Yep, seems like the Gust rumor was completely false. Wouldn't be surprised if it was someone passing off speculation as fact. It's great to see IntSys release an in-house FE though! I wonder if the use of Unity will mean the next one has a shorter turnaround?

Yeah this game was basically developed by the same team that made Awakening and Fate

at this point it's correct to be worried about the future of FE. This team can't tell a good story nor are they interested to. also they continue to dive deep into awkward and cringe concepts for no reason
The point of Fates was that the were interested in telling a good story based off feedback from awakening. Dev troubles and not able to accomplish that is a different story.

Calm down.

I wonder if this was all a misunderstanding and the Gust involved title is... the Geneaology remake.

I wonder if this was all a misunderstanding and the Gust involved title is... the Geneaology remake.

I think it's much more likely that there is no Gust-involved title. I'm expecting further FE on Switch to be entirely IntSys.

At this point I'd sooner believe that it was all just an incorrect rumor in the same vein as "Monolith Soft helped with Legends Arceus" from last year.

I don’t know. The Dungeon aspect of the leak was wrong as well. Seems to be more of speculation honestly.

Cause While Engage does look like some Gust games. It also Looks like a more refined awakening in its visual style.

And you can walk the battlefields. So dungeon could’ve been seen from that.

Sorry if this is not the correct place to ask this, but do we know if FE Engage length is longer or shorter than single route in Three Houses? Thanks

I don’t know. The Dungeon aspect of the leak was wrong as well. Seems to be more of speculation honestly.

Cause While Engage does look like some Gust games. It also Looks like a more refined awakening in its visual style.

And you can walk the battlefields. So dungeon could’ve been seen from that.
FYI: the source saying Gust was involved in development didn't claim dungeons would return -- that must've come from somewhere else.

The suggestion that Gust were involved was the one thing that source got wrong; protagonist design and the game's Emblems concept, as well as improved visuals, were all correct.

Wondering what's wrong with the My Nintendo Store. My Divine Edition order says shipped since yesterday morning, but i still have to get a shipping confirmation mail or anything like that.
Same for me but only the game not the divine edition. I was already doubting whether i had clicked on the tracking checkbox

FYI: the source saying Gust was involved in development didn't claim dungeons would return -- that must've come from somewhere else.

The suggestion that Gust were involved was the one thing that source got wrong; protagonist design and the game's Emblems concept, as well as improved visuals, were all correct.
Well Improve visuals was obvious, a lot of Fire Emblem fans knew IS could do better then Three Houses, it was expected for the next game, @LuckyNumber69 would told you that lol. But I thought the leaker of the images said dungeons. Must’ve mis-remember that.

Well Improve visuals was obvious, a lot of Fire Emblem fans knew IS could do better then Three Houses, it was expected for the next game, @LuckyNumber69 would told you that lol. But I thought the leaker of the images said dungeons. Must’ve mis-remember that.
There was a leak/rumour on this forum just before the images - that's where the incorrect suggestion Gust were involved came from. But like I said, it also got the key new mechanic (past characters returning as extras you can equip to your character) and the main character design correct.

Not that it's a huge deal - I just think it's worth pointing out which different sources say different things, just in case we want to consider their veracity in future. Who knows - maybe wires were crossed, and dungeons are returning in a different FE project, or Gust are involved in a different FE title? Or it was informed speculation based on partial knowledge?

Sorry if this is not the correct place to ask this, but do we know if FE Engage length is longer or shorter than single route in Three Houses? Thanks

Purely in number of chapters
26 chapters + 15 paralogues is what I read.

Which makes it about the same in mandatory chapters and a few shorter in paralogues than most of the routes of TH

Started doing the Engage stuff in Heroes and during the Forging Bonds for Alfred, i noticed that (at least for him) the art doesn't fit the character.

For those who don't know it, Forging Bonds in Heroes is a single player event where you get to know new heroes via a personal storyline and one that includes all of them. They usually happen at the same time a New Heroes banner starts and features the characters from the banner.

For safety, i'll put it into spoiler-tags, but the content is not from Engage and is only about the personality/interest of Alfred.
Alfred appears to be a fitness freak and really interested in "muscles" and fit guys. It appears that he himself is also actually pretty strong and really buff because he constantly trains in his free time.
And here's the problem with the art. It doesn't really show you this. He looks rather small and slim.

Not saying he should look like ... dunno Dorcas or Raphael, but i just feel like his current art is a bit of a misfit

Yep, seems like the Gust rumor was completely false. Wouldn't be surprised if it was someone passing off speculation as fact. It's great to see IntSys release an in-house FE though! I wonder if the use of Unity will mean the next one has a shorter turnaround?
Probably not if they veer in a different direction and they go bigger.

Yeah, Engage definitely looks Gust-esque, (especially the character models) so I can see where the rumor came from. I even remember pulling up a Ryza playthrough on YouTube and comparing it to the original leaked screenshots before the official reveal lol! What I'm curious about is where the bit about Kou Shibusawa (KT studio who made 3H) working on the game came from. Did the OG sources just assume it was KT again because of 3H? Were wires actually crossed between the info for this game and Three Hopes after all? I kinda doubt wires were crossed on a future mainline game. Now that the FE team has HD experience and assets, and has greatly raised the bar on HD FE graphics, I can't imagine we're going to see another mainline game handled by Koei Tecmo.

And yeah, the dungeons didn't come from Emily or Nate, that came from the Reddit guy who leaked the screenshots. At least we can explore maps, so that's pretty cool lol. I'll still hold out hope for dungeons in the next non-remake game on the Switch 2, I think they could be a really good addition if done right.

tbh I'm actually pretty surprised that, after all the doubt of an IS-developed game and assumptions of KT working on the next FE, and the common assumption of FE4R being after 3H, I actually ended up being correct about FE17 being a brand new game developed in-house lol!

This is a severe overreaction.

I'm largely an outside perspective here without much context for the series aside from awakening, but watching after watching a couple reviews... its nice to see how different this is from TH! TH is still on my backlog (and I will get to it this year!), but outside of the player characters hair (which I wish you could customize away lol) I like the vibe this is setting. With games of this length I tend to prefer something a bit more visually upbeat (eg. Dragon Quest vs Final Fantasy), and it's cool how IS juggles both within the one series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom