• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
previews

" and there’s no doubt in my mind that if Fire Emblem Engage can stick the landing and continue in this vein, it’ll likely be the best the series has to offer yet. "
AHHHHHHH I CAN'T WAIT

This game that came out of nowhere seems like is really expanding the FE formula and is a much, MUCH better looking entry than Three Houses.

If the story is solid we might have another winner here.

Yeah, I heard enough. I have my GotY in just the first month of the year and doubt anything will change that. Even just that gacha ring system would put this above at least 4 previous FE games for me.

And damn it looks good.

Byleth move over, the queen of My Units has arrived

9b38399a1534570b52a25a68c19423116176f808.pnj

So many positive elements from previews and videos

Map design, combat features, graphics, animations, activities

Basically, let's just hope the story will be decent and we already have a Goty contender

I love that we're finally getting full cutscene for the game instead of "group of people in circle talking while a jpeg shows us what's happening off screen", you can see how much money has been put in the series with this game.
I can't wait.

the previews did sell the game way more then the trialers did for me.
im still not in the mood for it, but i will probably buy it on a sale or later in the year when im looking for something.

still not too happy about gacha mechanics, fanservice (old heroes), artstyle/direction...
(for the last, i cant say its bad, but its not my taste)

Edit: and i feel like the side activities and main hub are to much and will get tedious.
People can argue "just ignore it", but since the game rewards you with exp/items/characters for that...
you cant. they have to balance it around those. So either you ignore many options for battle and maybe are underleveled, or the game is to easy for those that interact with those mechanics... so yeah.
Im really not happy about that trend that effectively started in If.

For what it's worth, the one preview I read had a lukewarm impression of the story, and it's not like I had much hope for it after the "Evil Marth" trailer.

Honestly, I don't mind that much if this game turns out to be Fates 2.0 (as in good gameplay and presentation but bad story) mainly because from the get-go I've seen this as more of a fanservice anniversary game... but I hope that for the next non-remake game the writing can be more close to 3H than this game.

Haven't played this series since GBA. Is this a good time to make a return?
Seems like it, though I'd say outside of Fates any FE in the last decade was a good time to jump back in.

I don't think Fates is horrible, but it's 3 version nonsense makes it not the most welcoming entry to newcomers/lapsed fans.

Reading the previews and it's pretty much what I expected: Great strategic gameplay but story/characters are on the cookie-cutter side. At least in the first 8 chapters. I hope things get more exciting in the later part of the story. Also, the way some previews describe your base as an holiday resort kinda irks me. I feared that the "goofy ahh"-looking side stuff would create tonal dissonance...

With the great previews I believe that this game is a prime candidate for the classic 89 curse.
See you on metacritic in 2 weeks

previews got me really excited
maps are varied, more emphasis on battles, dials back some of the social stuff from 3h
nintendo world report preview said playing on hard and were more than happy with the challenge

:D

Reading a number of the reviews, they are limited to Chapter 8 specifically. Not saying there will be a drastic turn, but previews of games like this, SPRG, arent ideal to convince people to get the game. It reminds me of Triangle Strategy from last year, yeah you are making choices early in the game but its not till mid game that things escalate.

I am super curious of who is involved in this game. Streetdates will probably be broken in 2 weeks so lets see.

For what it's worth, the one preview I read had a lukewarm impression of the story, and it's not like I had much hope for it after the "Evil Marth" trailer.

Honestly, I don't mind that much if this game turns out to be Fates 2.0 (as in good gameplay and presentation but bad story) mainly because from the get-go I've seen this as more of a fanservice anniversary game... but I hope that for the next non-remake game the writing can be more close to 3H than this game.

This reminds me of what I'd call the "FE dilemma". Either the writing is great & the gameplay is lackluster or the writing is bad/boring & the gameplay is great. I think the only game that delivered on both fronts is Path of Radiance. And even then there are some issues with that game...

I've said this before but it's simply astounding to me how big a step up visually this is over Three Houses

interesting tidbit from nintendo world report video

they said the characters go beyond their tropes that appears to define them, and that the writing was good with each unit they developed supports with, and showed it well with Anna, who is still motivated by money, but is more about wanting to reunite with her family and struggles she has regarding it and her anxiety

This sounds less to my liking than Three Houses, which, obviously, is okay to do, but a bit disappointing to me regardless. My anticipation most certainly has been deflated to an extent.

I wish Intelligent Systems would just name the difficulty options "Easy, normal, hard". Now watch every reviewer choose the normal option and complain about the lack of difficulty because it's actually easy.

Sounds like the character writing is a positive even if the story itself is unimpressive (which honestly remains to be seen since Chapter 8 is still early).

I wish Intelligent Systems would just name the difficulty options "Easy, normal, hard". Now watch every reviewer choose the normal option and complain about the lack of difficulty because it's actually easy.
Come on man, we both know that videogame reviewers will have difficulty beating the game in normal casual mode.
Actually what you proposed was what killed the reception of radiant dawn, because the normal mode was called easy mode the reviewers played normal (aka hard mode) and complained that the game was extremely hard and unwelcoming.
Also I think that most lunatic/maddening mode are so unbalanced that they should be seen as an extreme mode and not just an hard mode.

I'm not going to read anything as I want to go in blind. The game looks great, I have no worries it won't be a great game.

But I'm still so pissed at the PoC representation. I may sound like a broken record, but it stings so much. Even more so since Mika Pikazo is one of the best artists they could have chosen for this game.

Ah well, this is nothing new so I should just ignore it.

The whole thing sounds like it’s taken both solid elements and the criticism of them from the previous three games, plus added a load of new ideas too. I’m very excited as this is what I like about FE, the willingness to experiment each time as well as iterate on the proven core of the games.

Naming the easiest difficulty 'Normal' is just fine. Newcomers won't be put off by it and for said newcomers, it's still more welcoming than Hard. And yeah, Radiant Dawn's difficulty naming was extremely deceptive.

I just put in for the Monday and Tuesday after launch. I'm gonna spend a nice four day weekend on this gem.

Just read the polygon preview and I want it NOW!
From this moment on I'll forego more information to avoid being spoiled, I'm sure I'll miss the history aspect from three houses, but the other elements in this seems so much fun and with lots of possibilities.

On the one hand I absolutely will miss the narrative style and tone of Three Houses; on the other hand, it sounds like there's an awful lot to enjoy here and I'm really looking forward to it. Better get my butt in gear and finish Nier Automata.

Sounds like this game is pretty great. I was actually hoping that the side stuff was toned down a bit...I was hoping for more of a combat-focused game this time. I guess we'll see how much of that can be automated or skipped.

I'm sure female Alear can kiss all the boys ;)

Odds are we won't know the full scope of relationship mechanics, including lgbtq relationship, until people get early copies and datamine the game
Here's the thing though, didn't 3H preview/prerelease information low key confirmed romances at that point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom