• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Will Mainline Persona Ever Come To Switch? Update: Yes! It’s Time To Make History!

Will Mainline Persona Come To Switch?

• Yes

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hilarious how many people want to doubt Nate.

Remember when Final Fantasy 7,8,9,10,12 were playstation console exclusive and would never come to switch because of loyalty/contracts etc?

That happened.

Remember when the Naughty Dog Crash Games would never come for the same reason?

Danganronpa?

This is like that scene from The Matrix Reloaded where the architect explains this is the sixth cycle and that they had become increasingly efficient at maintaining it.

Well we have our own cycle of despair like this that keeps repeating. Also all of the above were announced for Switch in a direct.
I mean I also remember people talking about KH coming to Switch which it did though as a version no one was happy with. Could see that very same deal going on with P3-5.

Also in cases like Danganropa they absolutely did not have a choice but they stubbornly held on until it was basically forced on them.

I mean I also remember people talking about KH coming to Switch which it did though as a version no one was happy with. Could see that very same deal going on with P3-5.

Also in cases like Danganropa they absolutely did not have a choice but they stubbornly held on until it was basically forced on them.
You keep pushing this idea of cloud-based versions of P3-5 on the Switch but is there any evidence to support it? Or are you just posting a hypothetical situation, because if it is the latter I feel it's kind of disingenuous to keep pushing it without anything to back it up.

Edit: May as well use this space since I already commented here.

How do we imprison everyone who keeps saying P5R can’t run or wouldn’t run well on Switch? We got the Witcher 3 at a solid 30fps, I think it can handle a turn based PS3 game with new content.
Honestly you don't mind them. Because the chances are, that individual is just trolling and they actually don't give a shiz one way or the other, except to laugh their booty off with the arousing thought that they got a rise outta anyone from their lazy effort. 😎

You keep pushing this idea of cloud-based versions of P3-5 on the Switch but is there any evidence to support it? Or are you just posting a hypothetical situation, because if it is the latter I feel it's kind of disingenuous to keep pushing it without anything to back it up.
This is frankly a weird ass post on multiple levels that I am not even going to entertain.

This is frankly a weird ass post on multiple levels that I am not even going to entertain.
What's so weird about it? You're talking about this hypothetical situation of cloud-based versions of P3-5 releasing on the Switch and I just want to know why you think that's a probable outcome besides the fact that it happened with Kingdom Hearts.

I don't mean any offense.

What's so weird about it? You're talking about this hypothetical situation of cloud-based versions of P3-5 releasing on the Switch and I just want to know why you think that's a probable outcome besides the fact that it happened with Kingdom Hearts.

I don't mean any offense.
I mean calling it disingenuous and asking about any evidence when if it was the cloud would be hard to find. It’s mostly a joke but Atlus is a bizarre company who makes bizarre decisions. Catherine (Steam) - Catherine Fully Body (PSV-Switch-but not on Steam). I could see it being in their wheel house & after KH not outside the realm of possibility.

i don't think we're getting cloud versions we're just straight up not getting anything. why, well that's up to the atlus brain trust but at this point I'm just assuming that the leakers presumed (rationally) that all three games would come to all platforms since they were coming to the least popular platform in japan. personally it's healthier at this point to expect this shit from atlus.

The more the days pass the more I’m reminded of the “P5R is P5 for PS, P5S is the Switch version” copium.

OK I think I've figured this out.
Persona games aren't real, they are an elaborated prank Atlus use to make fun of switch owners. Games media, Sony and now Microsoft are in the know, as well as all the users here and there saying they played the game. And right now, everybody is dying from laughter seeing switch owners ranting about not getting this whole false game.

This is the most logical explanation. I can't see any other.

OK I think I've figured this out.
Persona games aren't real, they are an elaborated prank Atlus use to make fun of switch owners. Games media, Sony and now Microsoft are in the know, as well as all the users here and there saying they played the game. And right now, everybody is dying from laughter seeing switch owners ranting about not getting this whole false game.

This is the most logical explanation. I can't see any other.
I've played P3, 4 and 5, and let me just say ... that you're spot on there.
HAHA, Switch losers!

I mean calling it disingenuous and asking about any evidence when if it was the cloud would be hard to find. It’s mostly a joke but Atlus is a bizarre company who makes bizarre decisions. Catherine (Steam) - Catherine Fully Body (PSV-Switch-but not on Steam). I could see it being in their wheel house & after KH not outside the realm of possibility.
I don't see how the choices SE made with Kingdom Hearts on the Switch has any effect on potential Persona releases. Atlus may make bizarre choices when it comes to platforms for their games, but they also tend to be very budget conscious. Wasting money to keep servers running for cloud versions of their games doesn't strike me as something Atlus would do.

Also releasing the original Catherine on Steam was a Sega decision since it was ported by their European branch.

I don't see how the choices SE made with Kingdom Hearts on the Switch has any effect on potential Persona releases. Atlus may make bizarre choices when it comes to platforms for their games, but they also tend to be very budget conscious. Wasting money to keep servers running for cloud versions of their games doesn't strike me as something Atlus would do.

Also releasing the original Catherine on Steam was a Sega decision since it was ported by their European branch.
And? No one thought SE was gonna do cloud versions either because it would net them not a whole lot & be expensive in the long run yet here we are. They could’ve ported the games yet choose not to. Ever since it was introduced as an option it will always be an option for companies who wanna take it. Companies will justify it however they want & find ways to make it work.

Like I’m joking about it but I’m not the only one thinking about it being a possibility.

I think if we don't hear about P5 or P5R by the end of June or the anniversary celebration, then it's likely not coming to base Switch. P3P and P4G will likely get announced for simultaneous multiplat release next year.

Me: Atlus I hate you for not letting me finish P5R by not putting it on Switch. I'll never buy your games again.

Atlus during the Direct: Digital Devil Saga and Raidou Kuzunoha HD duologies are coming to Switch later this year.

Me: ok you're forgiven. Whatever. Humph.

after the microsoft event i strongly believe that we could see 3,4 and 5 coming to switch.
maybe as early as the next direct.

You all make suppositions about them coming or not coming to Switch based on nothing. I personally think they will, but I can't assure a thing, of course. We'll see and they'll arrive when arrive.

But Nate gave some reassurance, and also talked about P4G some months ago. So I don't know why some of you are so doom.

You all make suppositions about them coming or not coming to Switch based on nothing. I personally think they will, but I can't assure a thing, of course. We'll see and they'll arrive when arrive.

But Nate gave some reassurance, and also talked about P4G some months ago. So I don't know why some of you are so doom.
Situation:
P3/4/5 ports get announced for Xbox
Atlus gets asked about other platforms and they say the games will also come to Steam/PS5 (official source)
Post gets deleted because it breaks embargo

I think under these circumstances and that all other games on the event have had their non-Xbox platforms announced (at least that I remember) it makes sense to doubt at least P5R coming, maybe when P3/4 get announced the situation will be different, because how weird is P3/4 skipping PS4 so the PS5/Steam post was probably only P5R platforms.

Situation:
P3/4/5 ports get announced for Xbox
Atlus gets asked about other platforms and they say the games will also come to Steam/PS5 (official source)
Post gets deleted because it breaks embargo

I think under these circumstances and that all other games on the event have had their non-Xbox platforms announced (at least that I remember) it makes sense to doubt at least P5R coming, maybe when P3/4 get announced the situation will be different, because how weird is P3/4 skipping PS4 so the PS5/Steam post was probably only P5R platforms.
They were asked? I thought it was a press release. Was it the Eurogamer article that was deleted?

I'd say it's probably because plenty of common sense games haven't come over, like Kingdom Hearts natively or Soul Hackers 2, more so than anything else. Perhaps it can be shown off in their June direct but I'm not holding my breath. I don't expect logic out of ATLUS, this is the same company that brought over Catherine: Full Body to the Vita...while PC got regular Catherine. I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch got ports of Persona Q or something instead, maybe even a port of Persona 1 only

Welp. Since I never had a Playstation, I never played Persona.

And judging by SMT3 HD, the PC version of the Personas will come at full price with Denuvo DRM.

Looks like I'll continue not playing them. 🤷‍♂️

Did the supposed announcement for PS5/Steam happen today as was alleged from that leaked press release? Haven’t seen anything about it.

Mainline Ports For Xbox, PlayStation, PC/Steam Confirmed, No Switch Yet
The P25 website was finally updated with PlayStation and Steam ports. PS5 isn’t getting native versions of P4G and P3P, only PS4. Granted, PS5 is backwards compatible.

The next Direct is our best chance to learn more on the Switch front, but certainly not the last chance if P5R gets skipped. I’m feeling hopeful we’ll get some news still this month since the Japanese Teddie and Morgana video has not happened yet to wrap up Announcement 5. (We did get an Atlus West one)

The P25 website was finally updated with PlayStation and Steam ports. PS5 isn’t getting native versions of P4G and P3P, only PS4. Granted, PS5 is backwards compatible.

The next Direct is our best chance to learn more on the Switch front, but certainly not the last chance if P5R gets skipped. I’m feeling hopeful we’ll get some news still this month since the Japanese Teddie and Morgana video has not happened yet to wrap up Announcement 5. (We did get an Atlus West one)
The P3 and P4 versions better have a physical copy......

The P3 and P4 versions better have a physical copy......
They don't.

BSFaT7b.png

Legitimate question, and I don't mean this in an inflammatory way, I actually am curious: why are some people still assuming/hoping that a Switch version does exist, but is just being withheld for an announcement at a Direct or whatever? Other than wishful thinking, what actual evidence is there pointing towards this? I am sorry if it comes off as a question in bad faith, that is absolutely not my intention, I just really can't think of another way to word it - why are some people still holding on to a Switch version of these games being a thing?

Legitimate question, and I don't mean this in an inflammatory way, I actually am curious: why are some people still assuming/hoping that a Switch version does exist, but is just being withheld for an announcement at a Direct or whatever? Other than wishful thinking, what actual evidence is there pointing towards this? I am sorry if it comes off as a question in bad faith, that is absolutely not my intention, I just really can't think of another way to word it - why are some people still holding on to a Switch version of these games being a thing?

Some games, like Guardians of the Galaxy (Cloud) or Life is Strange: True Colors + the remasters were announced later in a Direct instead of being announced officially as part of the original announcement. It wouldn't be the first time it happens.

Some games, like Guardians of the Galaxy (Cloud) or Life is Strange: True Colors + the remasters were announced later in a Direct instead of being announced officially as part of the original announcement. It wouldn't be the first time it happens.
But that's a Square thing. Nintendo handles distribution and publishing for a lot of their games, don't they?

And even specific to the examples you quoted, the difference between the different versions being acknowledged was less than one day, not half a month (or whatever it ends up being by the time the next Direct gets announced).

I dunno. Personally I am not sure I buy it, but I do understand the reasoning. One way or the other, we will know by the time the next Direct is done.

But that's a Square thing. Nintendo handles distribution and publishing for a lot of their games, don't they?

And even specific to the examples you quoted, the difference between the different versions being acknowledged was less than one day, not half a month (or whatever it ends up being by the time the next Direct gets announced).

I dunno. Personally I am not sure I buy it, but I do understand the reasoning. One way or the other, we will know by the time the next Direct is done.

Life is Strange was 3 months between the original announcement and the Switch announcement on a Direct. Plus, LiS was handled by Square Enix themselves without Nintendo support. There's really no reason to believe P3P and P4G, at the very least, are not getting announced on the 29th.

Sega is supposed to be doing this this year too. Humankind announced for PS4 and Xbox last week but no Switch version listed. Later we found out it was rated for Switch by both ESRB and Taiwan rating board. Most likely to be revealed at the Direct.

Life is Strange was 3 months between the original announcement and the Switch announcement on a Direct. Plus, LiS was handled by Square Enix themselves without Nintendo support. There's really no reason to believe P3P and P4G, at the very least, are not getting announced on the 29th.

Sega is supposed to be doing this this year too. Humankind announced for PS4 and Xbox last week but no Switch version listed. Later we found out it was rated for Switch by both ESRB and Taiwan rating board. Most likely to be revealed at the Direct.
Alright, two more weeks then!

Just to add on to others, sometimes Nintendo likes to have partners hold back platform information to announce it themselves. Stuff like Dragon Quest III HD 2D has been cited as an example before when that game got announced with no platform information. It’s actually pretty rare when major third party games get announced outside of Nintendo Directs. The Alan Wake port being a notable recent exception.

Alternately, simply both Nintendo and Atlus themselves believe this news will have more impact in a Direct. Until Japanese Teddie and Morgana look us in the eye and tell us otherwise, Announcement 5 seemingly isn’t done yet.

A very significant wrinkle here, if Persona 5 isn’t coming to Switch for whatever reason, we may have to wait months or a year to hear news on P3P and P4.

Edit: I crossed out the sentence about Dragon Quest in particular. It was something I was made aware of, but I have nothing to easily point to to back it up. I trust it, but it could be wrong info or not the full picture. So it’s there for posterity, but just ignore it unless someone else can back it up or set the record straight. I won’t bring it up again in this context. Sorry.

Last edited:
Stuff like Dragon Quest III HD 2D has been cited as an example before when that game got announced with no platform information. It’s actually pretty rare when major third party games get announced outside of Nintendo Directs.
lol nah. that shit's the norm in japan

why are some people still assuming/hoping that a Switch version does exist, but is just being withheld for an announcement at a Direct or whatever
I see what you are doing here. 👉👉

The ol reverse-psychology switcheroo technique 😉

Ok, I'll play along. 🤜🌟🤛

My thinking flows roughly:

a) the market for JRPGs is healthy on the switch. The switch is super popular. The switch is Uber popular in Japan

b) contrary to whimsy, Atlus likes to be profitable in their game releases, is comprised of individuals who ultimately are held responsible for positive RoI decisions, and will thus make logical decisions to deploy their production resources to the best of their ability

c) contrary to the weird "Atlus hates Nintendo" vibe being percolated, Sega in general and Atlus in particular have worked super well w/ Nintendo directly and on Nintendo platforms overall in terms of development support

d) Sega/Atlus want to grow their capabilities, as demonstrated by the multi-plat day/date release initiative for Soul Hackers 2

e) Persona is popular and will make lots of money while making lots of videogame players happy the more platforms it is available on

f) Persona games up thru 5 can run on switch hardware

g) Atlus has made the efforts to target or port to switch most of their recent output, to mostly positive results

h) Persona, until recently, was suspected of being Playstation-only. This notion has been emphatically shattered as of June 2022 (and maybe before)

i) an insider that I respect is confident Persona 3+4 will touch down on switch fosho (possibly cagey w 5 tho, aw)

j) the industry's most popular streaming event is barreling down at end of june. And it just so happens that release dates have not been given for the other platforms

So that's what has my hopes up for news in the Summer Direct. 🙏

I'll tell you what tho, this summer direct is kinda hinting at an overflow of JRPG goodness. Let's consider the potential appearances of:

• Xenoblade
  • Fire Emblem
  • Tactics Ogre OMGgggg
  • FF Tactics
  • Live a Live
  • Dragon Quest 3
  • Final fantasy 9

And now maybe Persona.

I dunno, maybe just me, that's kind of a glut of JRPG Juice. Something's gotta give?

So maybe Persona holds off til a later Direct where it can take center stage. Since I think we all agree that Tactics Ogre Hnnnggg takes top priority followed by I guess Fire Emblem or Xeno. And then obligatory 2 or 3 other Square joints.

The issue with that is Atlus chose June to announce the port initiative which hints to me that at least the first of those Persona ports will drop soon. Curiously, they haven't said When, but I think there is shadow-drop potential here.

So My personal playbook:

1) Summer Direct, announce Persona 3+4+5
2) Shadoooow drooppp 3 , “stay tuned" for future release dates of the others
3) Fast-forward to Fall Direct, Shadoooow drooppp 4. And announce 5 release date for holiday
4) Profit
5) Tactics Ogre!!!! sales announced to break 2 million. New Ogre Battle saga game is greenlit

I think that all sounds reasonable.

I see what you are doing here. 👉👉

The ol reverse-psychology switcheroo technique 😉

Ok, I'll play along. 🤜🌟🤛

My thinking flows roughly:

a) the market for JRPGs is healthy on the switch. The switch is super popular. The switch is Uber popular in Japan

b) contrary to whimsy, Atlus likes to be profitable in their game releases, is comprised of individuals who ultimately are held responsible for positive RoI decisions, and will thus make logical decisions to deploy their production resources to the best of their ability

c) contrary to the weird "Atlus hates Nintendo" vibe being percolated, Sega in general and Atlus in particular have worked super well w/ Nintendo directly and on Nintendo platforms overall in terms of development support

d) Sega/Atlus want to grow their capabilities, as demonstrated by the multi-plat day/date release initiative for Soul Hackers 2

e) Persona is popular and will make lots of money while making lots of videogame players happy the more platforms it is available on

f) Persona games up thru 5 can run on switch hardware

g) Atlus has made the efforts to target or port to switch most of their recent output, to mostly positive results

h) Persona, until recently, was suspected of being Playstation-only. This notion has been emphatically shattered as of June 2022 (and maybe before)

i) an insider that I respect is confident Persona 3+4 will touch down on switch fosho (possibly cagey w 5 tho, aw)

j) the industry's most popular streaming event is barreling down at end of june. And it just so happens that release dates have not been given for the other platforms

So that's what has my hopes up for news in the Summer Direct. 🙏

I'll tell you what tho, this summer direct is kinda hinting at an overflow of JRPG goodness. Let's consider the potential appearances of:

• Xenoblade
  • Fire Emblem
  • Tactics Ogre OMGgggg
  • FF Tactics
  • Live a Live
  • Dragon Quest 3
  • Final fantasy 9

And now maybe Persona.

I dunno, maybe just me, that's kind of a glut of JRPG Juice. Something's gotta give?

So maybe Persona holds off til a later Direct where it can take center stage. Since I think we all agree that Tactics Ogre Hnnnggg takes top priority followed by I guess Fire Emblem or Xeno. And then obligatory 2 or 3 other Square joints.

The issue with that is Atlus chose June to announce the port initiative which hints to me that at least the first of those Persona ports will drop soon. Curiously, they haven't said When, but I think there is shadow-drop potential here.

So My personal playbook:

1) Summer Direct, announce Persona 3+4+5
2) Shadoooow drooppp 3 , “stay tuned" for future release dates of the others
3) Fast-forward to Fall Direct, Shadoooow drooppp 4. And announce 5 release date for holiday
4) Profit
5) Tactics Ogre!!!! sales announced to break 2 million. New Ogre Battle saga game is greenlit

I think that all sounds reasonable.
Love this post and its energy, but sadly I do think a shadow drop theory can be ruled out since the Japanese version of the Xbox trailer ended with a big 1 splashed onscreen before showing Persona 5 in October. I’d love them sooner :)

Love this post and its energy, but sadly I do think a shadow drop theory can be ruled out since the Japanese version of the Xbox trailer ended with a big 1 splashed onscreen before showing Persona 5 in October. I’d love them sooner :)
Dangit 😅

I should have tried harder to email Atlus my playbook. If only they had seen it, this could all work out perfectly!

Disappointing there's no physical for P3 and P4. I was hoping to build a nice collection of these three games on the same platform.

Just to add on to others, sometimes Nintendo likes to have partners hold back platform information to announce it themselves. Stuff like Dragon Quest III HD 2D has been cited as an example before when that game got announced with no platform information. It’s actually pretty rare when major third party games get announced outside of Nintendo Directs. The Alan Wake port being a notable recent exception.
All DQ games announced in that event bar DQX Offline got no platform confirmations, don't think DQIIIHD lack of platforms is due to Nintendo.

All DQ games announced in that event bar DQX Offline got no platform confirmations, don't think DQIIIHD lack of platforms is due to Nintendo.
I edited my post and crossed out the sentence about Dragon Quest in particular. It was something I was made aware of, but I have nothing to easily point to to back it up. I trust it, but it could be wrong info or not the full picture. So it’s there for posterity, but just ignore it unless someone else can back it up or set the record straight. I won’t bring it up again in this context. Sorry.

I edited my post and crossed out the sentence about Dragon Quest in particular. It was something I was made aware of, but I have nothing to easily point to to back it up. I trust it, but it could be wrong info or not the full picture. So it’s there for posterity, but just ignore it unless someone else can back it up or set the record straight. I won’t bring it up again in this context. Sorry.
Nah don't worry just wanted it to clarify it because DQ team is quite weird nowadays when it comes to announcing things, so is better to not take it as a precedent. (you could say the same from Atlus tho)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom