• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Will Mainline Persona Ever Come To Switch? Update: Yes! It’s Time To Make History!

Will Mainline Persona Come To Switch?

• Yes

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, we know when Sony has a deal in place.

Sony can't shut up about Final Fantasy and Genshin Impact is still MIA on Switch.
Sony talked about how important Persona was to them in Japan before. Now though the producer who said that was fired (along with most of the rest of Japan Studio) and Japan is being deprioritized generally so things may have opened up.

They've never said or implied anything about Genshin exclusivity though.

Sony talked about how important Persona was to them in Japan before. Now though the producer who said that was fired (along with most of the rest of Japan Studio) and Japan is being deprioritized generally so things may have opened up.

They've never said or implied anything about Genshin exclusivity though.
Everyone seems to agree that Sony is extending Genshin's exclusivity period the same way they did to Final Fantasy VII Remake.

If Sony has a deal in place, than everyone knows about it because they can't shut up about it.

Everyone seems to agree that Sony is extending Genshin's exclusivity period the same way they did to Final Fantasy VII Remake.

If Sony has a deal in place, than everyone knows about it because they can't shut up about it.
There never was an exclusivity window for Genshin. The Switch port was announced before PS4 even released, we just don't know why it hasn't released yet.

Famitsu interview: Atlus is now more keen on making multiplatform ports following the success of Golden on PC + new P4A info

How does Atlus logic work?

Saw this earlier today and I wanted to know where it was from. I haven’t found the full text of the interview translated but it was from the latest issue of Famitsu. You can read more about it here including the potential of a future rollback netcode patch for Persona 4 Arena:

More interesting for this thread though was in Silliconera’s article, there’s no direct quote, but in the second paragraph Atlus Director Kazu Hisawada says “Atlus is now more keen on doing multiplatform releases” after the success of Persona 4 Golden on PC.

Do you mind threadmarking my post as “Famitsu interview: Atlus is now more keen on making multiplatform ports following the success of Golden on PC + new P4A info” Thank you!

Last edited:
More interesting for this thread though was in Silliconera’s article, there’s no direct quote, but in the second paragraph Atlus Director Kazu Hisawada says “Atlus is now more keen on doing multiplatform releases” after the success of Persona 4 Golden on PC.

Im so proud of them that they summoned the courage! 💪

Power of friendship surveys!!

I mean why would such a deal exist at any point before Persona 5? With Persona 1-2 being only on PS1 it was understandable because of its massive marketshare and CDs. Atlus didn't release a single game on the N64 outside of Snowboard Kids, so it's really not surprising. PS2 was more of the same and the GC managed to do even worse (do I even need to mention Xbox in Japan?), so P3 and P4 sticking to the PS2 was just a continuation of the norm. You could argue that Atlus had a chance to release P1 and P2 on DS, but that was an era of sw being tailor made to fit unique hw, so it made some sense.

But after the failure of the Vita, the mediocre sales of PS4 in JP, and the meteoric success of the Switch? Where does Atlus draw the line? When PS is completely eradicated from the market altogether? It's gotta just be a timing thing at this point. What else is Atlus going to release between now and P6, SMTV, EO, and Re Fantasy?

I’m pretty sure they said that they were interested in multiplatform releases plenty of times already. Until they release P4G and P5R to other platforms I have no reason to take these words seriously, the P4AU port is just another case of them releasing a spinoff sequel to their mainline game in platforms that never got the main game. I thought that after the P4G Steam port we would expect them porting their back catalog everywhere by E3 2021, or they would announce something during their 25th anniversary events. So far they missed both of these spots, at this point I just don’t bother with their meaningless PR talk and announcements until they actually deliver the goods

I can't help but feel when they say multiplatform, the games they are referring to will most likely be spin off sequels and not the mainline games such as Dancing games and arena. Like I said, I won't believe it until the mainline games are literally on my Switch.

I just can't trust Atlus.

Personacentral: Atlus hopes and aspirations for 2022
https://personacentral.com/atlus-hopes-to-release-tentpole-title-in-2022/

https://personacentral.com/atlus-2022-aspirations/

I think those two pieces of news are kinda important for discussion here. Do we know what are the targeted platforms for Project Re Fantasy? Hope it comes to Switch.

On the takes around Persona, I think they're pointing out at some ports coming next year. It's probably too early for P6, and they won't let the brand get cold. I think that ports and remaster of either P3, P4 or P5 are likely candidates.

The problem with their 2022 statement is they don’t mention specifically more games on Switch outside of Arena. All they say is they want more people to experience the series. Their statements are already made true by the existence of P4AU being ported.

Persona 4 Golden and whatever remaster of Persona 3 they’re working on are totally coming to Switch at some point. It’s Persona 5 that I’m iffy on.

Hypothetically speaking, IF the Switch gets old mainline Persona games ports such as 3 and 4 Golden, when and where would they announce them? In a Direct? A separate Atlus/25th anniversary Persona stream or a Sony event/State of Play?

Hypothetically speaking, IF the Switch gets old mainline Persona games ports such as 3 and 4 Golden, when and where would they announce them? In a Direct? A separate Atlus/25th anniversary Persona stream or a Sony event/State of Play?
The Game Awards showed that they're fine with revealing them elsewhere as long as it still coincides with the anniversary schedule.

We know the next P25 update will be in February. They seem to happen about every other month. Because P4 Arena has been announced for March, I'm not expecting anything in February. However, the following update should be around April, and I think that would be a good time to announce what's coming next.

Food for thought: 13 Sentinels for Switch is the only other Atlus game that currently has a date, and that's already releasing in April. After that they won't have anything to promote, which is why I expect an announcement around that time, if not earlier. We were in the same situation after SMT5 came out, and within a month they had revealed both 13 Sentinels and P4 Arena.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I think it should give an idea of what we might be able to expect when it comes to timing.

The Game Awards showed that they're fine with revealing them elsewhere as long as it still coincides with the anniversary schedule.

We know the next P25 update will be in February. They seem to happen about every other month. Because P4 Arena has been announced for March, I'm not expecting anything in February. However, the following update should be around April, and I think that would be a good time to announce what's coming next.

Food for thought: 13 Sentinels for Switch is the only other Atlus game that currently has a date, and that's already releasing in April. After that they won't have anything to promote, which is why I expect an announcement around that time, if not earlier. We were in the same situation after SMT5 came out, and within a month they had revealed both 13 Sentinels and P4 Arena.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I think it should give an idea of what we might be able to expect when it comes to timing.
I appreciate the lengthy answer. So the next update is in February. And if that rumour/leak from the P4AU website that mentioned Midnight Collection for Switch/PS4, do you reckon it will be announced in February provided that it's not a mistake or glitch?

That is a very close poll. I voted yes.

I would still like to see the games on Switch, but they waited too long for me. I ended up buying P4G on Steam and P5R on PS4 this year. I hope the eventual rerelease of 3 will at least come to a Nintendo platform, but I can't see it being anything other than P4G to come over first.

@Marce-chan I added a threadmark, if you don't mind.

On-topic, I do think that ports of older titles will release next year, as one of the 25th anniversary announcements.
No problem, I feel honored <3

I also think that ports of older games are among the 25th anniversary celebration, I think maybe they pull a Square Enix in 2019 and just made all the falgship releases playable on the Switch and/or the current platforms.

There's the all but confirmed P4G port, the forever rumored P3 remaster, and of course, the elephant in the room, Persona 5. I think all of the 3 will come to the Switch to keep the brand hot at the hottest console.

That February update aligns with a possible Direct. I think that having both 13 Sentinels and P4AU promoted at the direct for the following months, alongside the surprise announcement for P4G and (hopefully hopefully) P3 remaster and P5 port for the rest of the year would be an amazing move.
Square Enix did this with Final Fantasy during a 2019 Direct (the February one iirc).

I appreciate the lengthy answer. So the next update is in February. And if that rumour/leak from the P4AU website that mentioned Midnight Collection for Switch/PS4, do you reckon it will be announced in February provided that it's not a mistake or glitch?
That February update aligns with a possible Direct. I think that having both 13 Sentinels and P4AU promoted at the direct for the following months, alongside the surprise announcement for P4G and (hopefully hopefully) P3 remaster and P5 port for the rest of the year would be an amazing move.
Square Enix did this with Final Fantasy during a 2019 Direct (the February one iirc).
It's definitely possible that they announce something big in February. I'm not sure what to make of the website discovery. There was no actual visual of a Switch/PS4 version of P4G, so part of me thinks it really was just a bug. I'm optimistic about it happening either way, but I don't know if I dare to hope for an announcement that early since they're stretching out their anniversary campaign for a whole year.

I always look at what Square Enix did with Final Fantasy in the 2018 Direct and wish Atlus would do the same for Persona. It was an amazing moment, having certain mainline Final Fantasy games on Nintendo and Xbox for the first time. I remember even back then, some people thought Sony had exclusivity rights to those games, which is crazy to think about in hindsight.

It's definitely possible that they announce something big in February. I'm not sure what to make of the website discovery. There was no actual visual of a Switch/PS4 version of P4G, so part of me thinks it really was just a bug. I'm optimistic about it happening either way, but I don't know if I dare to hope for an announcement that early since they're stretching out their anniversary campaign for a whole year.

I always look at what Square Enix did with Final Fantasy in the 2018 Direct and wish Atlus would do the same for Persona. It was an amazing moment, having certain mainline Final Fantasy games on Nintendo and Xbox for the first time. I remember even back then, some people thought Sony had exclusivity rights to those games, which is crazy to think about in hindsight.
That's how I always imagined how Persona mainline games would get announced for Switch similar to Final Fantasy. That moment despite the Direct half leaked didn't get rumoured at all was the biggest announcement. I couldn't believe my eyes, it was history being made.

The problem with P4G is that they put themselves in a corner by having the Steam version be 20 dollars. I seriously doubt they would want to position the console version as a cheap eShop and PSN entry. Even the Arena rerelease won't be that cheap. They could do an enhanced version for a higher price but it would take more time and effort. I think P4G is a victim of its own Steam success right now.

The problem with P4G is that they put themselves in a corner by having the Steam version be 20 dollars. I seriously doubt they would want to position the console version as a cheap eShop and PSN entry. Even the Arena rerelease won't be that cheap. They could do an enhanced version for a higher price but it would take more time and effort. I think P4G is a victim of its own Steam success right now.
Just drop it for $20 on the eShop and PSN, what exactly is the issue here? Switch users in particular have shown they'll pay "full price" for late ports.

Just drop it for $20 on the eShop and PSN, what exactly is the issue here? Switch users in particular have shown they'll pay "full price" for late ports.
I think they mean Atlus may want to charge $40+ for a console port of it, not that Switch gamers will be mad at a “full priced $20 late pc port.”

They charged $50 for SMT3HD when it released. Them porting P4G to steam for just $20 means they set themselves up for some bad publicity if they try selling P4G for higher on Switch. I can 100% see Atlus coming in at $40 on Switch/PS4.

I think they mean Atlus may want to charge $40+ for a console port of it, not that Switch gamers will be mad at a “full priced $20 late pc port.”

They charged $50 for SMT3HD when it released. Them porting P4G to steam for just $20 means they set themselves up for some bad publicity if they try selling P4G for higher on Switch. I can 100% see Atlus coming in at $40 on Switch/PS4.
Ahh gotcha, maybe that's why it seems they may be tying P4G on consoles into some kinda bundle with P4AU, that way they can charge $50-60 for the bundle.

No idea but I hope it will. P5 Royal is the GOAT JRPG and the more people get to play it the better.

What's with companies trying to release old games at almost full price? There was a time when they released old games with some QOL and better resolution for 20 bucks and that was it.
As for the thread, lol of course not; you know deep down we're all going to have to buy a PS5 if we want to play the next persona game.

Persona 4 Golden (Vita) is one of my favorite games of all time, and I've been holding off on P5 until I can play it portably. Having a port would be a literal dream, but I would even take vanilla P5 at this point. My Q1 2022 Steam Deck (formerly Dec. ...RIP) is still preordered so having a steam port of P5 (even P5 vanilla) would be great too. I just need to be able to take the game with me. I'm tired of waiting Atlus!

I gave up and bought Persona 5 Royal on PS4 after the Game Awards announcement. Atlus is taking the piss. Though after 4 years of waiting they'll probably announce it this year and I'll feel dumb. It's a good game though and would be much better on a portable.

So, an account for a Persona 25th anniversary event appeared, that is probably fake. But it has cool new art.

Persona25th.jpg

Last edited:
I could see 4 finally making its way to PlayStation and Switch eventually.

I'm never getting the P2 duology on Switch though. Hell will freeze over before something that good happens.

The 25th, of course, being the number of different series that Joker has appeared in. We all know persona only started in 2006, after all.

I will learn an entire language for best girl Maya just you watch! 私たちの愛は言語などのささいな障壁を超えています!!!
All according to your keikaku, I see ☕

And yeah I think this is the year we are getting some Persona ... 3

I sure am finding this Persona 25th Anniversary "Celebration" to be some of the most tedious marketing I have ever seen a company partake in. this shit seriously started in September of 2021, without anything to show for it other than the announcement of a port of the spinoff fighting game. six months!

Sometimes it really feels like Atlus and Square are in a competition to see if more money can be milked out of Persona or Final Fantasy 7 fans

I’m just gonna assume Sony made some secret mainline console exclusivity rights deal for persona like 20 years ago and that none of them ever come to switch

I’m just gonna assume Sony made some secret mainline console exclusivity rights deal for persona like 20 years ago and that none of them ever come to switch
I used to tinfoil hat this too but I've come around.

Googled for some statement of this and couldn't find any smokin guns.

And then I thought, logically, if Sony paid money for this they will want to maximize that ROI by broadcasting that exclusivity. Nintendo does this to good effect in their Directs, making it clear when an announced title is console exclusive or straight-up exclusive.

All this to say that the ultimate reason for no Persona mainline on switch likely comes down to becuz Atlus 🤷

And in particular I think they prefer to handle their stuff in-house, but have lacked the bandwidth given their other projects. I DO expect this to have changed in the past year or two as other projects were completed such as SMT5.

Can i just ask at this point why people still bother?

Like yeah Persona games are amazing, but Atlus brought other Megaten games to the Switch. Persona 5 isn't on Switch just like SMT V isn't on PS4/PS5.

If Soul Hackers sequel ends up being on Switch those people who kept begging for Persona should absolutely try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom