• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Will Mainline Persona Ever Come To Switch? Update: Yes! It’s Time To Make History!

Will Mainline Persona Come To Switch?

• Yes

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because optimizing even lower end games to Switch is something Atlus doesn’t seem to be on board with beyond a certain point (see also: Soul Hackers 2)
Well P5R is even lower end than SH2 but I can see ATLUS not wanting to put in the minimal resources to get the most popular entry on the system. That sounds up their alley

Quick question, why would P3 and P4 come over but not P5? Like P5 isn't some super high end PS4 game, it's a PS3 game. Even the enhanced re-release is a PS3 game at its core
It's bargaining. The people who refuse to believe are suggesting this as a way to keep doom alive due to Nate's posts. It's a way to still be miserable in the face of hope.

It's bargaining. The people who refuse to believe are suggesting this as a way to keep doom alive due to Nate's posts. It's a way to still be miserable in the face of hope.
TBF, it would be an ATLUS move not to bring it over and, with the Switch, well obvious games have skipped it before. But I also wouldn't say it can't or won't happen. Just that I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't

It's the bargain phase.

"okay maybe we aren't getting P5R but no way they skip P4G and P3P"
Yeah, there isn't any good reason to only bring over some and not the rest but, then again, ATLUS...

It’s not just Nate, multiple people who have said Persona is coming to Switch and continue to insist it’s happening have said, over and over, that they can confirm 3 and 4, but don’t have any confirmation on 5 coming over. Judging by SH2, it’s not unreasonable to assume that anything that requires more than a certain degree of effort to get running on Switch, won’t be coming to the Switch.

It's the bargain phase.

"okay maybe we aren't getting P5R but no way they skip P4G and P3P"
I just find it funny how you and the person right above you both say people are “bargaining”, but in totally opposite directions lol.

Because optimizing even lower end games to Switch is something Atlus doesn’t seem to be on board with beyond a certain point (see also: Soul Hackers 2)
They will probably release sh2 next year for switch. While its true that they are lower end games (gen 7 game), having multiple skus takes time. When I am coding (work) for a language and I want to do the same action for another it takes time to optimize. Similar case here.

It’s not just Nate, multiple people who have said Persona is coming to Switch and continue to insist it’s happening have said, over and over, that they can confirm 3 and 4, but don’t have any confirmation on 5 coming over. Judging by SH2, it’s not unreasonable to assume that anything that requires more than a certain degree of effort to get running on Switch, won’t be coming to the Switch.

I just find it funny how you and the person right above you both say people are “bargaining”, but in totally opposite directions lol.
Nate didn't say which games are coming, he hasn't confirmed specific titles. If you're talking about that person on the old site, they said that they could confirm p3 and p4 we're coming to consoles and PC, but that they couldn't give any info on 5, they weren't able to confirm 5 for Xbox prior to the Microsoft conference. Who else has commented on this?

They will probably release sh2 next year for switch. While its true that they are lower end games (gen 7 game), having multiple skus takes time. When I am coding (work) for a language and I want to do the same action for another it takes time to optimize. Similar case here.
I think sh2 comes a year later too, they are learning the ways of Bamco. Switch 1 year later to get double dips/a second wave.

I think sh2 comes a year later too, they are learning the ways of Bamco. Switch 1 year later to get double dips/a second wave.
so when SH2 bombs out on the current crop, what then? the Bamco way is to "port successful games (if it makes it), don't port failures"

Switch should be the priority for these games, especially for Atlus that over half of the sales come from Japan/Asia, late ports always sell worse than what they would if day 1 releases. Also late ports for a console in their 6th year makes no sense almost but that's another thing, SH2 will not get a late port at this point.

SH2 is skipping NSW because someone is butthurt about TMS#FE sales is my modest opinion.

Oh yeah I don't see any reason why P5R wouldn't come if P3 and P4 are coming. I mean, P3P remastered looks more current gen than P5R(let's not forget it's an enhanced PS3 game). I highly doubt P5R's engine is less scaleble than either the old ass that P3/P4 are built or the new one those are being remastered if that's the case.

Only reason I could see for either a later launch or no version at all was if it came out "exclusively" for Xbox, which is not the case as it's coming to PS5. PlayStation and Steam were only confirmed two days later too so it's possible Nintendo shows it on the direct (like already happened with other 3rd party games and dozens of late ports).

Switch should be the priority for these games, especially for Atlus that over half of the sales come from Japan/Asia, late ports always sell worse than what they would if day 1 releases. Also late ports for a console in their 6th year makes no sense almost but that's another thing, SH2 will not get a late port at this point.
I agree that they should have a switch sku at launch but the reality is that in the background they might have a deadline to release this game (look at Cyberpunk, not the best example) and considering that persona 5 is getting a re-release plus the others are probably early 2023 it makes sense to release now than wait for the switch version. I am not saying that's the correct way but it might be something they thought about.

I don't agree about the late port, for one the install base is there and 2 we have no idea when the next console/revision is. So if the argument is that a console shouldn't get a port at their 6th year then why even make video games. Midnight Suns is probably 2023, not sure about the Redacted game, plus look at the persona ports going to ps4 and xbox one, console that are way older.

The same reason Kamija was malding about TW101 marketing for years only for TW101R to do even worse.
Kamiya always complains when his niche games don't get the full marketing push that he thinks they should lol

Also a lot of contract work/funded games tend to have bonus related to sales/critical performance, I don't think it's known if that is the case for Nintendo contracted work but it could be. Also working on a game for years only for it to flop even if you make money anyway is probably demoralizing

Last edited:
If it is not in the next direct, I have lost all hope for it. Heck I was already there not long ago, but with three of them going to XBox...a small sliver of hope has emerged.

It shouldn't even be hard, as even vanilla Persona 5 was able to run on the PS3. But Atlus will do Atlus things I suppose, and we will just have to wait and see. I am staying realistically grounded with my expectations till after the direct though.

If it is not in the next direct, I have lost all hope for it. Heck I was already there not long ago, but with three of them going to XBox...a small sliver of hope has emerged.

It shouldn't even be hard, as even vanilla Persona 5 was able to run on the PS3. But Atlus will do Atlus things I suppose, and we will just have to wait and see. I am staying realistically grounded with my expectations till after the direct though.
Hey if you believe the rumours you just gotta wait a year for PS2/PSP/PSV games to be announced for the Switch. Lol

Quick question, why would P3 and P4 come over but not P5? Like P5 isn't some super high end PS4 game, it's a PS3 game. Even the enhanced re-release is a PS3 game at its core

Hopefully that won't be the case but, it definitely is a different scale of development when considering porting stuff that was on PSP and Vita (or ported to PC already, or whatever) vs a native PS3 game or a PS4 game. It likely would be easier for them to port from the PS4 version if my understanding of the PS3 stuff is anywhere accurate. It certainly can be done, it just would require a more significant effort, but I do hope they do it.

Hopefully that won't be the case but, it definitely is a different scale of development when considering porting stuff that was on PSP and Vita (or ported to PC already, or whatever) vs a native PS3 game or a PS4 game. It likely would be easier for them to port from the PS4 version if my understanding of the PS3 stuff is anywhere accurate. It certainly can be done, it just would require a more significant effort, but I do hope they do it.
I'm not saying it'll be a copy and past effort but it's not like bringing over TW3 or Doom or any of the other significantly more demanding games that have been ported to the Switch. At this point, I'd argue that this isn't really a valid excuse anymore. The system has a large JRPG audience and has been out for a long time, P5/P5R are by far the most popular in the series, and the system can run it more than fine. Plenty of 1st and 3rd party games are far more impressive

Site leaked it early. Physical P5, digital P4 and P3. We did it!

The one more thing at the end of the video!

Team Yes wins!!!

Woah that’s a whole lot of never votes

I just snuck in a yes and am feeling pretty confident about it

Team Yes wins!!!
You never lost faith after all this time. I was on "Team No" and mostly I'm just sad that this thread must finally come to an end.

I guess it was always about the friends I made along the way.

So happy! I can't wait to play these games, admittedly after the original P5R announcement I didn't think these would ever be multiplatform, but the Xbox event proved that wrong and the mini direct now means I'll be able to play them. Very happy with this!

I’m glad the thread was reopened! Thank you everyone who participated, regardless of which team you were on! It was a lot of fun and drama I wasn’t expecting when I started it. (Seriously did not expect it right from the start with the Arena website drama lol)

Really excited to have Persona 3, Persona 4, and Persona 5 Royal on Switch in the near future. It’s going to be awesome to enjoy all of these games together :)

This thread has been a long journey of ups and many downs over and over, yet was still fun to speculate with you all. Special thanks to @xghost777 .
Wanted to thank you too Bokuringo! I’m glad you also kept watch for updates and signs and helped update the thread along the way :)

Team Yes wins!!!
Damn it, digital again >.>

Might as well get P3 and P4 digital on Switch then, for the portability.

the lesson I have learned is never to expect atlus to announce anything at an official atlus event.

ashamed to say i had voted for team never. i am embarrassed

lmao
There's nothing to be embarrassed about since I believed the same thing lol.

The important thing is that we were wrong and own up to it. Looking forward to putting another nail on my Vita's coffin when I pick these up in the future.

the lesson I have learned is never to expect atlus to announce anything at an official atlus event.
It's because their events have either no announcementa or minor stuff most people wouldn't care about. They have a bad reputation so if Atlus actually wants eyes on stuff they'll put it in a real event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom