• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Will Mainline Persona Ever Come To Switch? Update: Yes! It’s Time To Make History!

Will Mainline Persona Come To Switch?

• Yes

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Legitimate question, and I don't mean this in an inflammatory way, I actually am curious: why are some people still assuming/hoping that a Switch version does exist, but is just being withheld for an announcement at a Direct or whatever? Other than wishful thinking, what actual evidence is there pointing towards this? I am sorry if it comes off as a question in bad faith, that is absolutely not my intention, I just really can't think of another way to word it - why are some people still holding on to a Switch version of these games being a thing?

Mainly because the original leaker, who got everything else right about these releases, said P3 and P4 are coming to the Switch too. He only couldn't confirm P5. Even after the press release for Steam/PS leaked and Switch wasn't there, he still said it's coming.

Nate also said he heard they're coming to the Switch.

I hate Altus with a burning passion sometimes...........
You're not alone in feeling that way as a matter of fact I've sworn to myself that I will never buy another game from them ever again 「or any 3rd party for that matter」 I don't care if they decide to support Nintendo 100% in the future I will never buy any product that they make ever again.

I believe one of our present and reliable leakers hinted on persona for the Switch. I just wouldn't hold my breath for something like P5R on the system - but P3 and P4 (and not P5, friends) seem like good choices to be ported over.

Last edited:
I believe one of our present and reliable leakers hinted on persona for the Switch. I just wouldn't hold my breath for something like P5R on the system - but P3 and P5 seem like good choices to be ported over.

Porting P5 over P5R makes no sense. And no Catherine on PC isn't proof of anything as it was a completely different situation.

6249e927a38f7.gif

As someone who enjoyed JRPGs growing up but havent played one in 10 years, can someone explain to me what makes persona stick out from the rest? I always see the hype but I havent gotten to enjoy it because my switch is my only gaming console
I just want to say go play Xenoblade. All of them.

As someone who enjoyed JRPGs growing up but havent played one in 10 years, can someone explain to me what makes persona stick out from the rest? I always see the hype but I havent gotten to enjoy it because my switch is my only gaming console

It's a pretty standard JRPG structurally but with a Fire Emblem style calendar and dating sim mechanics.

Many JRPGs in the last 10 years have taken cues from Persona.

Persona meshes many favorite JRPG elements into one game.

-Visual novel elements
-A party of great characters that expands as the game progresses
-dungeon crawling
-gear upgrading
-creature collecting
-great music
-committing to a great turn-based battle system
-a long narrative that continuously raises the stakes

All this is wrapped in a stylish art direction/present-day setting and all these elements listed above work together wonderfully. Also perfect for portable play.

This is where all the rage at Atlus skipping Switch comes from.

The biggest thing for 3, 4, 5 is the structure. During the day you attend high school and then in the afternoon you can choose how to spend your time whether that’s entering a dungeon to slay demons, hanging out with friends, or leveling up your social stats. You don’t have infinite time as each day advances the calendar and certain activities will be blocked off depending on the day of the week or if something story related is happening. The social sim effects the demon slaying because leveling up your friendships grants you new abilities.

These games are very long as a result of the calendar system, so you get a lot of long term payoffs for investing them. They also have tons of style and interesting themes (even if they regularly trip over themselves).

Mainline Persona will never come to Switch!

Insiders: actually Persona games are coming to Switch

Err, well 3 and 4 are, but no way 5 comes!

This just feels to me like some weird kind of bargaining.

Just to add on to others, sometimes Nintendo likes to have partners hold back platform information to announce it themselves. Stuff like Dragon Quest III HD 2D has been cited as an example before when that game got announced with no platform information. It’s actually pretty rare when major third party games get announced outside of Nintendo Directs. The Alan Wake port being a notable recent exception.

Alternately, simply both Nintendo and Atlus themselves believe this news will have more impact in a Direct. Until Japanese Teddie and Morgana look us in the eye and tell us otherwise, Announcement 5 seemingly isn’t done yet.

A very significant wrinkle here, if Persona 5 isn’t coming to Switch for whatever reason, we may have to wait months or a year to hear news on P3P and P4.

Edit: I crossed out the sentence about Dragon Quest in particular. It was something I was made aware of, but I have nothing to easily point to to back it up. I trust it, but it could be wrong info or not the full picture. So it’s there for posterity, but just ignore it unless someone else can back it up or set the record straight. I won’t bring it up again in this context. Sorry.

I see what you are doing here. 👉👉

The ol reverse-psychology switcheroo technique 😉

Ok, I'll play along. 🤜🌟🤛

My thinking flows roughly:

a) the market for JRPGs is healthy on the switch. The switch is super popular. The switch is Uber popular in Japan

b) contrary to whimsy, Atlus likes to be profitable in their game releases, is comprised of individuals who ultimately are held responsible for positive RoI decisions, and will thus make logical decisions to deploy their production resources to the best of their ability

c) contrary to the weird "Atlus hates Nintendo" vibe being percolated, Sega in general and Atlus in particular have worked super well w/ Nintendo directly and on Nintendo platforms overall in terms of development support

d) Sega/Atlus want to grow their capabilities, as demonstrated by the multi-plat day/date release initiative for Soul Hackers 2

e) Persona is popular and will make lots of money while making lots of videogame players happy the more platforms it is available on

f) Persona games up thru 5 can run on switch hardware

g) Atlus has made the efforts to target or port to switch most of their recent output, to mostly positive results

h) Persona, until recently, was suspected of being Playstation-only. This notion has been emphatically shattered as of June 2022 (and maybe before)

i) an insider that I respect is confident Persona 3+4 will touch down on switch fosho (possibly cagey w 5 tho, aw)

j) the industry's most popular streaming event is barreling down at end of june. And it just so happens that release dates have not been given for the other platforms

So that's what has my hopes up for news in the Summer Direct. 🙏

I'll tell you what tho, this summer direct is kinda hinting at an overflow of JRPG goodness. Let's consider the potential appearances of:

• Xenoblade
  • Fire Emblem
  • Tactics Ogre OMGgggg
  • FF Tactics
  • Live a Live
  • Dragon Quest 3
  • Final fantasy 9

And now maybe Persona.

I dunno, maybe just me, that's kind of a glut of JRPG Juice. Something's gotta give?

So maybe Persona holds off til a later Direct where it can take center stage. Since I think we all agree that Tactics Ogre Hnnnggg takes top priority followed by I guess Fire Emblem or Xeno. And then obligatory 2 or 3 other Square joints.

The issue with that is Atlus chose June to announce the port initiative which hints to me that at least the first of those Persona ports will drop soon. Curiously, they haven't said When, but I think there is shadow-drop potential here.

So My personal playbook:

1) Summer Direct, announce Persona 3+4+5
2) Shadoooow drooppp 3 , “stay tuned" for future release dates of the others
3) Fast-forward to Fall Direct, Shadoooow drooppp 4. And announce 5 release date for holiday
4) Profit
5) Tactics Ogre!!!! sales announced to break 2 million. New Ogre Battle saga game is greenlit

I think that all sounds reasonable.

Mainly because the original leaker, who got everything else right about these releases, said P3 and P4 are coming to the Switch too. He only couldn't confirm P5. Even after the press release for Steam/PS leaked and Switch wasn't there, he still said it's coming.

Alright then, on my part, I think it's reasonable to at least wait till the next Direct before dismissing the possibility.

Here's hoping Atlus does come through this time lol

Alright then, on my part, I think it's reasonable to at least wait till the next Direct before dismissing the possibility.

Here's hoping Atlus does come through this time lol
Don't forget, P5R could be a later port for Switch and they might reveal the games in September Direct instead. P4G and P3P are 2023 games anyway. Dream still would be alive if they are absent from this month's Direct.

Personally as long as we get P3P and P4G I really don't care if P5R gets Atlus'd and not ported. P4G is one of my favorite games of all time and P3 FES/P is still really fun to go back to.

A switch port of P5R was the only way I'd consider giving P5 another chance after how badly it originally let me down.

I hate Altus with a burning passion sometimes...........

I love them because they made the 3DS my go to gaming device. Zelda + MH + Atlus is probably the reason the 3ds is my all time favorite handheld/console device.
Their 3ds output was amazing.

But, I understand your feelings. I try to not think much about their business decisions, I think of them like I do about Nintendo. Sometimes they don't make sense at all, but I love their games.

Don't forget, P5R could be a later port for Switch and they might reveal the games in September Direct instead. P4G and P3P are 2023 games anyway. Dream still would be alive if they are absent from this month's Direct.
Personally if they’re not shown at the next Direct, I get off the train. The problem is we can make credible extensions for “this will get announced at ___” perpetually. I’m not even saying the reasoning isn’t sound. I’m just saying that after a while of it not manifesting, you sort of get tired of waiting for it. Even if the reasons are valid.

I’m happy to be pleasantly surprised and proven wrong later if it comes to it, but as far as my personal investment in this saga goes, it ends whenever the next Direct is. One way or the other.

I have a mild interest in playing Persona 5 Royal because I enjoyed 3 and 4 as a teenager (although I'm sure I couldn't stomach them now days) and I feel okay doing it because Atlus West did take action to rectify the game's homophobia (which was the reason I refused to play the original 5).

But I'm not buying it on PS4. It makes absolutely no sense to release the game in every platform in the market except for the most popular one, the one where the game will sell the most, and the only one that is portable and thus more suited for a long RPG. If it's not there, this is some petty shit from Atlus and I'm not going to reward them buying the game on the system they want to force me to. I'm cool never playing the game.

I'm not the greatest persona fan and I don't really think this is a game that could bring someone back or into rpgs, honestly. But I do think P5 is a fairly good games, with nice designs of monsters and dungeos, a really cool gameplay design and some interactive world / relationship mechanics that are quite fun. However, be aware that the game is loooooong (I have finished p5 vanilla in about 120h, without doing everything) and it is full of anime tropes. I haven't played P5R so I wouldn't know how it really improved on the previous game, but I'm not really willing to spend 120+ hours on this story again, even after enjoying my playthrough. I do intend on playing P3 and P4 once they are available for modern consoles - probably on the switch, if it is a thing, because this type of gameplay loop seems to be a good fit for small handheld game sessions ( I know both games are SO DIFFERENT, but I do think another game that has a gameplay loop that suits this is Fire Emblem. I just can't imagine playing FE only on a TV, really)

A switch port of P5R was the only way I'd consider giving P5 another chance after how badly it originally let me down.
yeah, I'm going to give P5R a shot on xbox because I have gamepass already, but I bounced super hard off of 5 after loving 3 & 4, we shall see. I didn't know they removed the homophobic shit in royal, it will be nice to play a persona game that doesn't call me a faggot randomly

they would probably make a lot of money if they brought p5 to switch, they should prolly do it. but people in this thread acting like it's an obligation and it's personally insulting not to is a little silly

Honestly, store "leaks" are as reliable as 4chan "leaks". 1 chance in a million lol. But fingers crossed for the game indeed coming to the switch

sit-here-homer.gif

This train is a circle line. It has no stops, just moments of darkness as it passes through tunnels. Long, long moments of darkness. :D
Nah mate, speaking only for myself, after the last announcements, I’m basically done with believing mainline persona is coming to Switch, BUT, some very credible people I respect a lot insist it’s still happening so I’m basically giving myself copium for up to the next Direct lol. If it’s not at the next Direct, I’ll bounce off this ride. Happy to be proven wrong in the future of course, but it’s too exhausting to keep this going lol.

Outside of no announcements for Switch ports yet, the thing that gets me is that Persona 4 was released on PC two years ago and they won't be out for consoles until 2023. This tells me that it's quite possible that Atlus wasn't even considering bringing at least Persona 4 to consoles until relatively recently. If they were strongly considering it after the PC release, you would think they would have started working on those ports back then and they would be out by now or relatively soon.

That Swiss store is usually reliable but they’ve made custom game covers for games in the past. Take with a moderately sized grain of salt but it’s not impossible.

Honestly, store "leaks" are as reliable as 4chan "leaks". 1 chance in a million lol. But fingers crossed for the game indeed coming to the switch
Idk, I feel like they’re usually right, apart from Mass Effect trilogy instance.

The big one obviously being that European wholesaler who listed Witcher 3 for Switch like 6-7 months before that E3 Direct even? And recently Ezio collection.

I’m sure I’m forgetting instances on both sides though.

Who was the original leaker, outside of Nate? I really hope P5R comes to Switch, but 3 and 4 seem like sure things.

Has Atlus released an official cover for Royal on Xbox? I'm expecting it to be bunk like most online retailer listings are known to be, but I find it interesting that both versions on that site use the exact same cover template with the "artwork not final" watermark.

EDIT: Ah, that's the old Atlus logo. Definitely fan made cover.

Last edited:
Idk, I feel like they’re usually right, apart from Mass Effect trilogy instance.

The big one obviously being that European wholesaler who listed Witcher 3 for Switch like 6-7 months before that E3 Direct even? And recently Ezio collection.

I’m sure I’m forgetting instances on both sides though.
Didn’t we have Best Buy listing link to the last and Metroid prime trilogy early in switch’s life? Not sure retailers are always the best, but probably a decent shot.

Has Atlus released an official cover for Royal on Xbox? I'm expecting it to be bunk but I find it interesting that both versions on that site use the exact same template with the "artwork not final" watermark.
Is Royal confirmed to be a retail release as well? I could see Atlus releasing it only digital on Xbox

Oh shoot, yeah, this is noticeable. What are the chances of a retailer making a Switch mockup (cover looks legit), and making a listing for it? I think it's real.
isn't that just the art zoomed in. and I'm pretty sure you can find fan mockups of p5r switch just by googling. don't buy it unless other retailers start showing it as well.

I don't think anyone is arguing the cover is real, it's clearly a placeholder. But it might indicate that store is expecting the product.

I don't think anyone is arguing the cover is real, it's clearly a placeholder. But it might indicate that store is expecting the product.
Yeah the cover is fake across all versions listed (except PS4 for obvious reasons)

That wouldn't be the first time a retailer guesses the game releases on switch because obvious reasons only to to be caught pants down by Atlus nonsense.
This time this retailer guesses for every version of the game. Physical version of the game hasn't been confirmed for the new versions either. Either they know something or opening preorders on their own is their thing.

You're not alone in feeling that way as a matter of fact I've sworn to myself that I will never buy another game from them ever again 「or any 3rd party for that matter」 I don't care if they decide to support Nintendo 100% in the future I will never buy any product that they make ever again.
This comes off as very unhealthy somehow, maybe just out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom