• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They snuck licensed music in on us despite being very careful to only show footage with music from the games in marketing...

Ngl, it's the first thing this movie has done in a while that has made me a little doubtful.

Not that there's inherently anything wrong with licenced music - and if the tracks in the MTV interview are accurate, they've chosen a couple of bangers - but I dunno. I was hoping the full soundtrack would be composed of new stuff and melodies from the games.

Still, it's not too much of an issue. I think the soundtrack is still going to be mostly inspired from the games - I'm actually a little surprised Nintendo and Miyamoto gave the go ahead for licenced music to be used.

Ngl, it's the first thing this movie has done in a while that has made me a little doubtful.

Not that there's inherently anything wrong with licenced music - and if the tracks in the MTV interview are accurate, they've chosen a couple of bangers - but I dunno. I was hoping the full soundtrack would be composed of new stuff and melodies from the games.

Still, it's not too much of an issue. I think the soundtrack is still going to be mostly inspired from the games - I'm actually a little surprised Nintendo and Miyamoto gave the go ahead for licenced music to be used.

Yeah like at the end of the day it's "fine" but who the hell is gonna go to a Mario movie or enjoy it more because of the licensed songs? (Which they didn't even market with them unlike countless movies do)

It's things like these that make me feel cynical about this production when the "Illumination" aspects really come into focus. You know these elements weren't needed to make a truly great Mario movie but Hollywood didn't have true confidence in the IP alone being a draw.

Last edited:
It's things like these that make me feel cynical about this production when the "Illumination" aspects really come into focus. You know these elements weren't needed to make a truly great Mario movie but Hollywood didn't have true confidence in the IP alone being a draw.

I wonder if this is an aspect of the Nintendo/Illumination partnership we haven't really touched in.

Given how beautiful the film looks, the idea has been that Nintendo has been pushing Illumination to push beyond what they usually do.

Conversely, Nintendo might be deferring to Illumination as to what can make the movie successful and marketable to a wider audience - after all, it's Illumination who has the experience in making financially successful movies, and Nintendo have been burnt before.

This isn't to pick on Illumination as the sole cause for any of the films issues, mind. But it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo want to play this as safe as possible, and are thus on board when Illumination suggest something like licenced music in certain scenes.

Let's be real as well - a sizeable degree of the viewing audience won't give a solitary crap about licenced songs being in the film.

I wonder if this is an aspect of the Nintendo/Illumination partnership we haven't really touched in.

Given how beautiful the film looks, the idea has been that Nintendo has been pushing Illumination to push beyond what they usually do.

Conversely, Nintendo might be deferring to Illumination as to what can make the movie successful and marketable to a wider audience - after all, it's Illumination who has the experience in making financially successful movies, and Nintendo have been burnt before.

This isn't to pick on Illumination as the sole cause for any of the films issues, mind. But it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo want to play this as safe as possible, and are thus on board when Illumination suggest something like licenced music in certain scenes.

Let's be real as well - a sizeable degree of the viewing audience won't give a solitary crap about licenced songs being in the film.

Yeah I can imagine there are certain elements where Illumination put their foot down and Nintendo gave in. Obviously it's not all bad as there are some aspects fans love of this movie that Nintendo would've never done in a million years like with some of the easter eggs.

To me it's just something that's gonna take me out of the movie when I'm watching it cause licensed songs feel so out of place in the Mario world. It's not bad for movies to do it but they need to incorporate it into their world that having a song pop up feels natural. (Guardians of the Galaxy)

I do not mind if there are a few licensed songs here. it is the least surprising thing overall, even if we so far have mainly heard Mario-related music.
And in the very least, a huge chunk of the movie IS Mario-related soundtrack, so if there are a handful of non-Mario ones, I doubt it will ruin the movie or something.
As long as it is not overdone, I still have confidence~

License music is fine too me.

I just don’t like how it’s the same old songs always being used lol.

Gimme something unique or out there

Should we have a spoiler thread? After all, there are some press folks that already saw the movie

Licensed music is just the producers' ways of leaning even more back into their Super Show roots

(my childhood self still associates Danger Zone more with Mario than I do Top Gun)

Dont all family movies use licensed music, its a way to make the movie more accessible to everyone if they hear a song they recognized and can get excited about. Yeah it was a little groan worthy in sonic, but nothing that ruined the movie. It will be fine, we need to remember that first and foremost, this is a kids movie, i dont think its worth getting frustrated at it for just doing what kids movies will do. I promise you there will absolutley be a dance party scene as well.

Dont all family movies use licensed music, its a way to make the movie more accessible to everyone if they hear a song they recognized and can get excited about. Yeah it was a little groan worthy in sonic, but nothing that ruined the movie. It will be fine, we need to remember that first and foremost, this is a kids movie, i dont think its worth getting frustrated at it for just doing what kids movies will do. I promise you there will absolutley be a dance party scene as well.
The Kung Fu Panda trilogy does not use a single piece of licensed music, save for the credits of their movies. Also, I don't think there'll be a dance party ending. The movie has shown a relative purity to be fair in terms of tropes from other animated movies. What I'm hoping for if the movie only ends up being okay is that Nintendo pushes for better results like they often do with their games. After all, their objective there seems to have been to retranslate the development of a Mario game mindset to this movie. So I would argue they would get more daring/more rigorous doing sequel stuff.

A 150 million dollar domestic opening week (5 days) is on the table! That is absolutely massive. Obtaining this would result in the Mario Movie having the 9th biggest domestic opening week for an animated movie ever!
BO.PNG

A 150 million dollar domestic opening week (5 days) is on the table! That is absolutely massive. Obtaining this would result in the Mario Movie having the 9th biggest domestic opening week for an animated movie ever!
BO.PNG
I am a little disappointed that this site doesn't track international.

the discussion on licensed music feels like a representation of the fandom bubble in a way. a little licensed music isn't going to hurt it any more than bad music in general hurting a scene and it shows that they're aiming beyond to video game fan

the discussion on licensed music feels like a representation of the fandom bubble in a way. a little licensed music isn't going to hurt it any more than bad music in general hurting a scene and it shows that they're aiming beyond to video game fan
I think one thing to consider is that the marketing has been very aimed at the Mario fanbase. The trailers/spots feature orchestral music reminiscent of Mario music and nothing else. And if I didn't look at the interviews I would've definitely been surprised to hear I need a Hero suddenly starting playing during a training montage, or any licensed music in general. It just doesn't feel very Mario for fans (which I get), especially when the movie is clearly doing a certain effort to make sure it feels extremely Mario-esque. Dark humor is fine in Mario, that's a thing, even dumb humor is fine in some way, that's also a thing. Licensed music does not really have much precedent in Mario.

BO.PNG
Yup, it's great that it is going up. I feel like 100 million 3 day is most likely. Now we need good review scores and good cinema score so the movie gets good WoM. A 400 million domestic run would be AMAZING. We know the movie will do well globally. 1 Billion is almost a sure thing now if the movie is good.

They even referred to the GUN Commander in the sequel as the "Olive Garden guy" in the sequel.

I like the Sonic movies, but sheesh. I think they're always going to be a little weighed down by the first, barring a reboot.

I do find some bits of the Sonic movie humor pretty great. Like you can clearly see the writers had fun crafting some of those. My favorite one in 2 is probably the cut fish head saying RUN and Jim Carrey is often used pretty greatly, Aside from the early portion of movie 2 where they clearly went too far in the silly direction at some points.

Sonic can get away with it and be funny cause it's Sonic to be fair 🤣

It just comes off as desperate as far as I'm concerned - and speaks to a wider lack of confidence or interest in making a Sonic the Hedgehog movie that was faithful to its roots.

And yes, I know it's easy to meme on Sonic and whatnot, but that's not really the point.

I've done some research and arrived to the conclusion there's at the very least three licensed songs in the movie.
I need a Hero, Take on Me, Thunderstruck
The usage of I Need a Hero is inviting comparisons to Shrek 2, a film that uses its licensed music very well. I don't think a Mario movie will do so as nicely, but it is what it is. It'll be fine. The movie will be fine.

When coworkers of you act like you come from a different planet and get very biased when they hear you talking with a friend about going to the Mario Movie next week. They are going to see the D&D movie tomorrow. How is that form a fandom or cross-media perspective different?

@Golden you know, that scaling inconsistency comment makes way more sense now that I've discovered the review is literally an hour-long April's Fools

I'm doing one, I'd assume some people want to go blind so keeping reviews/impressions separate from there seems like a good idea. It's also better to keep all that stuff in a fresh dedicated thread instead of drowning them in a 30 pages-long thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom