• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like it’s the red carpet World premiere.
It is today so it would track yeah. What is interesting is they don't seem to have done an actual red carpet with pre-screening interviews and everything, it's more a simple early screening.

Nintendo isn’t the kind of company that would have followed through with this if it wasn’t coming together well right? I have weirdly high expectations. Anything less than good feels like it’d harm the brand.

Weren't we supposed to get impressions today? Does the embargo lift after influencers have seen the movie?
A bit more than 2 hours until then! I made a thread for impressions/reviews!

Nintendo isn’t the kind of company that would have followed through with this if it wasn’t coming together well right? I have weirdly high expectations. Anything less than good feels like it’d harm the brand.
At worst you can probably expect this to be a visually kinetic, serviceable film.

Anything more than 75% RT is perfectly fine in this case. I'm not expecting Nintendo to redefine the animation medium XD. They need a bit more time in that space to give us something in that vein, not a first try.

if a lot of gaming journalists are going, they want this movie to look real good in impressions.
"graphics are great but 24fps is absurdly low and feels like a stuttery mess. there's practically no replayability and can be completed 100% in less than 2 hours. only worth it if you can get it for less than $20"

"graphics are great but 24fps is absurdly low and feels like a stuttery mess. there's practically no replayability and can be completed 100% in less than 2 hours. only worth it if you can get it for less than $20"
Let's be honest, a long-time Mario fan is gonna have a blast with this. This movie is a nostalgia trip at the very least. That can guarantee really good impressions (and reviews!)

A few minutes later the plumbers rocking that drip next to their shiny van...

FssDIp3aAAEmCku

Let's be honest, a long-time Mario fan is gonna have a blast with this. This movie is a nostalgia trip at the very least. That can guarantee really good impressions (and reviews!)

Nostalgia only guarantees good impressions, not reviews. The film has to be legitimately good or great to actually get the higher end of the review scale for films, (which is how they're actually supposed to work, videogame reviewers).

I'm going in to it expecting completely standard children's film in a mario skin, like I did for sonic, and that's probably fine. Illumination typically make decent films of that type!.This probably isn't gonna be at the spiderverse level of films, but If it turns out better than I expect, great!

Last edited:
This is a real image in the year 2023:

@LukasManak22 imma gonna need your help to tell me who's the last guy in the bottom right
That's Takumi Kawagoe! Wow, we haven't seen him in a while.

He is planner who specializes in camera programming and cinematics. This already shows that EPD employees had a quite and influence on this, as I suggested.

That's Takumi Kawagoe! Wow, we haven't seen him in a while.

He is planner who specializes in camera programming and cinematics. This already shows that EPD employees had a quite and influence on this, as I suggested.
I was wondering if EPD employees would be in the credits, this should basically confirm it.

I was wondering if EPD employees would be in the credits, this should basically confirm it.
I have no doubt about this one. Probably not who created the original music or powerups just "based on the work from 3D World game" but EPD employees who actually worked on the movie will be there.

I have no doubt about this one. Probably not who created the original music or powerups just "based on the work from 3D World game" but EPD employees who actually worked on the movie will be there.
mostly wondering if Koizumi had any involvement and who's gonna be credited in the "story by" section.

So... Was Charles Martinet not even invited to the premier? I wonder if he didn't want to go. I hope he turned it down, because if they snubbed him even harder after over two decades of work, bloody hell

.. I'd think that a Hollywood premiere of a franchise made him so recognizable and beloved, not to mention of a movie he does participate is a tad more important to attend.. but, who knows how things went behind the scenes :T
Some people like smaller gatherings and less media attention. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom