• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it’s not out in theatres yet but do we have any idea when a home media release would be expected? I wanna watch this movie but not enough to actually drive to a theatre haha

.. I'd think that a Hollywood premiere of a franchise made him so recognizable and beloved, not to mention of a movie he does participate is a tad more important to attend.. but, who knows how things went behind the scenes :T
I mean.. convention appearances usually pay 😅
also maybe he doesn't like pratt

I'd stay off the Mario subreddit, as someone is claiming to have seen the movie and is answering questions about it.

I'm not entirely convinced, as I privately messaged them and the details they provided could be guessed or determined from the marketing - but I felt it best to warn anyone who's averse to potential spoilers.

I know it’s not out in theatres yet but do we have any idea when a home media release would be expected? I wanna watch this movie but not enough to actually drive to a theatre haha
I’m in the same boat haha. Usually it’s ~90 days until VOD unless it ends up being a particularly massive success

Fair enough reason to me!

He went for the premiere of the last Dragon Ball movie, where he voiced one of the characters.. so I don't know if there's anything to do with the kind of event the red carpet is. 🤷‍♂️
I think it’s best not to speculate too much on something like this. Mostly likey can be nothing but scheduling conflicts. Anything else. We should just wait till we hear about it.

I’m in the same boat haha. Usually it’s ~90 days until VOD unless it ends up being a particularly massive success
Blu-Ray for it has been leaked to release June 6. And given Universal has a contract that this kind of massive movie can end up on PVOD 31-day after release, it's probably gonna go online around May 6, unless it being a Nintendo movie means it has different rules

Blu-Ray for it has been leaked to release June 6. And given Universal has a contract that this kind of massive movie can end up on PVOD 31-day after release, it's probably gonna go online around May 6.
Oh wow, nice! That’d be great. Have gotten used to waiting longer again that theatres are sorta up and running, but I will definitely take earlier

ST will be in the Roost, and I can put it up tonight or tomorrow. Might wait for the reviews to come out first.

D_NQ_NP_920961-MLM54171255788_032023-O.jpg

I wish I didn't know this existed, now I need it

Deadline updated their predictions : 125 millions for the 5 day opening
They seem to be saying it wouldn't be surprising if it did more.

They originally predicted 85-90m a few weeks ago. (complete with clickbait sad mario splash image) I understand there's always more uncertainty further out and they are probably narrowing their range, but with Deadline, they always start low then revise up. Actuals could still come below whatever final prediction they give, but i assume 125 is pretty close to final. If actuals are better, expect further revisions day-of,

Last edited:
125m would be a fantastic opening. For reference Detective Pikachu did like $140 million total domestic.

As an aside, box office seems to be having a nice upswing this spring even despite superhero movies like Ant-Man and Shazam underperforming.

Dungeons & Dragons, Creed III, John Wick 4, Scream 5 all doing very healthy business and Mario now likely to do the same, I think "Air" (Ben Affleck directed pic on the Air Jordan brand's founding) will also do relative to expectations pretty well.

Last edited:
125m would be a fantastic opening. For reference Detective Pikachu did like $140 million total domestic.

As an aside, box office seems to be having a nice upswing this spring even despite superhero movies underperforming.

Dungeons & Dragons, Creed III, John Wick 4, Scream 5 all doing very healthy business and Mario now likely to do the same, I think "Air" (Ben Affleck directed pic on the Air Jordan brand's founding) will also do relative to expectations pretty well.
I think people are just getting tired of super heroes. I know I am, and i used to love MCU movies

I think people are just getting tired of super heroes. I know I am, and i used to love MCU movies

Yeah I'm kinda in the same place. I'll go see anything with Batman in it because that's like my kryptonite, but "oh look another superhero movie" is becoming a "do I really need to see this?" type of thing.

I'd rather watch that new Dungeons & Dragons movie (looks like fun) than the latest Ant-Man or Shazam or probably even Guardians of the Galaxy.

John Wick 4 is crazy awesome too, a bit long, but really well done, I'd recommend that one.

Yeah I'm kinda in the same place. I'll go see anything with Batman in it because that's like my kryptonite, but "oh look another superhero movie" is becoming a "do I really need to see this?" type of thing.

I'd rather watch that new Dungeons & Dragons movie (looks like fun) than the latest Ant-Man or Shazam or probably even Guardians of the Galaxy.

John Wick 4 is crazy awesome too, a bit long, but really well done, I'd recommend that one.
I just watched dnd last night. I know very little about the source material, but i had a great time. Its one of the most fun blockbusters I've watched in years.

Last edited:
125m-150m opening basically would mean Super Mario Bros. 2: The Movie and Donkey Kong: The Movie are probably automatically greenlit. Maybe Luigi's Mansion too.

It's going to be interesting how quickly Universal moves to build out the next movies if this one is a hit. Would they want to go straight to a Mario 2 (which is the general Hollywood playbook) or do Donkey Kong or Luigi's Mansion first?

I'm kinda in the same boat, except I just want GOOD superhero movies. 3/4 of the most recent MCU movies were total duds (the only exception being Black Panther), and I didn't even bother with Black Adam or Shazam 2. It feels like these movies don't have a heart anymore. I'm excited for Guardians 3, Spider-Verse, and now Blue Beetle, but nothing beyond that.

The funny thing is Mario is physically on par with some super heroes, the story just isn't framed in that way.

125m-150m opening basically would mean Super Mario Bros. 2: The Movie and Donkey Kong: The Movie are probably automatically greenlit. Maybe Luigi's Mansion too.

It's going to be interesting how quickly Universal moves to build out the next movies if this one is a hit. Would they want to go straight to a Mario 2 (which is the general Hollywood playbook) or do Donkey Kong or Luigi's Mansion first?

I think a Mario Kart focused movie is on the cards. I mean Pixar made 3 fucking Cars movies for a reason. A Mario Kart movie has the potentially to do really well and sell a whole lot of merch.

I think a Mario Kart focused movie is on the cards. I mean Pixar made 3 fucking Cars movies for a reason. A Mario Kart movie has the potentially to do really well and sell a whole lot of merch.

I think Mario Kart is kind of incorporated into the main Mario movies though, like Mario Kart looks like it's heavily featured in the current movie as is.

I would guess when there is inevitably a Mario 2 movie it will have even more Mario Kart sequences.

I think Mario Kart is kind of incorporated into the main Mario movies though, like Mario Kart looks like it's heavily featured in the current movie as is.

I would guess when there is inevitably a Mario 2 movie it will have even more Mario Kart sequences.

Why have one Mario movie franchise when you can have two?

Spinoffs first imo, build the hype for the main proper sequel. Probably a couple years down the line, 2025 or 2026 is my guess.

Spinoffs first imo, build the hype for the main proper sequel. Probably a couple years down the line, 2025 or 2026 is my guess.
2025 is logisitically the fastest Mario 2 would come, and that's assuming the script work has already begun months ago.

I'll go see Spider-Verse and Flash basically only because of Keaton Batman, but I probably will pass on Guardians 3. I've had my fill.
This will be the Guardians finale, which is the main reason I'm excited for it. I know it's not going to get a bunch of pointless sequels and crossovers. Hopefully.

Why have one Mario movie franchise when you can have two?

They kinda have that laid out already though ... Donkey Kong and Luigi's Mansion can be new movie spin-offs that seem like they're being set up. Like a "Mario Kart" movie would basically be just a ... Mario movie because you're not literally going to have Mario in a go-kart for an entire movie. He's going to be walking around and doing stuff outside the kart ... but that's basically what the current Mario movie already is, lol.

Last edited:
They kinda have that laid out already though ... Donkey Kong and Luigi's Mansion can be new movie spin-offs that seem like they're being set up. Like a "Mario Kart" movie would basically be just a ... Mario movie because you're not literally going to have Mario in a go-kart for an entire movie. He's going to be walking around and doing stuff outside the kart ... but that's basically what the current Mario movie already is, lol.

unfortunately, it can work

McQueen12.jpg

I think Luigi's Mansion would make a lot of sense and have a lot of potential for a future movie and even a theme park ride (hey hasn't Universal wanted a counter to Disney's Haunted Mansion for ages?) spin-off but I think Donkey Kong is next, I wonder if they would just call it "Donkey Kong Country".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom