• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

Got a question, yes or no: Can you max out both hearths and stamina in this game or will you have to choose one over the other again?

Every 5 steps in this game

200w.gif

Floormasters are terrifying in this game, geez.

Between them and Like Likes this game is nailing new takes on classic enemies.

Been playing the game for a solid 2 days now. Was missing the more "simple" feel of BOTW to begin with; there's definitely a bit more of a learning curve to figuring out how everything works in TOTK, but now a good 10+ hours in I am absolutely enamoured by it. Haven't been able to stop thinking about it whenever I'm not playing, and when I am playing it's an incredibly hard game to put down.

Kinda wish there was a way to Fuse directly from the item quick select for Weapons and Shields, it's a missing QoL option that would've been nice to have. Especially since I keep accidentally pressing Y instead of X to drop items from that menu

I am speechless.

I did my first boss, the journey, build up, soundtrack and the story is just phenomenal.

I'm just so excited like a child lol.

my pettiest quibble so far
the Blessings of Light are absorbed by Link and some of the gloom spews out of his arm, and it's explained or implied that the point of them is to rid himself of the bad stuff that had caused him to lose his health and stamina. but then separately from that, we have to redeem the Blessings of Light at a Hylian goddess statue for individual heart and stamina containers, exactly like in BOTW. like what does the goddess need with these things that have the specific purpose of purifying Link? why doesn't his strength come back directly from obtaining them?
very silly thing to complain about and I truly do not care that much lol but it is really bizarre to me that they framed these completely different power-ups in the exact same way as the last game!! at least make it a zonai statue or something

anyway I've played too much today but I'll probably do a bit more later oops.....

That first tower cannot be the real first tower man. I keep dying and dying and dying.
Answer if you want it regarding the first tower

I assume you're at the one guarded by monsters and whatnot. The intended first one is in Lookout Landing near Hyrule Castle. I can't confirm, but you may need to do that one before you're able to make use of the other towers.

There's some real stinkers when it comes to shrines, they still really do not respect your time in any ways so I'm probably just going to ignore them for the most part like I did in BotW. Far too easy to "softlock" them. I'll probably just look up which ones are combat shrines and do those so I can get more stamina though.

I had already seen a bit from the leaks, but holy hell Colgera is incredible. And that was just the first boss fight.

Hyrule has so much stuff in it all the DLC comments from pre-launch just seem sillier every minute I play lol.

my pettiest quibble so far
the Blessings of Light are absorbed by Link and some of the gloom spews out of his arm, and it's explained or implied that the point of them is to rid himself of the bad stuff that had caused him to lose his health and stamina. but then separately from that, we have to redeem the Blessings of Light at a Hylian goddess statue for individual heart and stamina containers, exactly like in BOTW. like what does the goddess need with these things that have the specific purpose of purifying Link? why doesn't his strength come back directly from obtaining them?
very silly thing to complain about and I truly do not care that much lol but it is really bizarre to me that they framed these completely different power-ups in the exact same way as the last game!! at least make it a zonai statue or something

anyway I've played too much today but I'll probably do a bit more later oops.....
Shrines in general are kinda weird lore-wise in this game

Like in the tutorial area Rauru says he made them, but then like… what are they named after in game lol. Like the shrine names in BotW were then name of the monks in them, but there’s no monks in TOTK’s.

They clearly just wanted to do shrines again and didn’t care about them lore-wise, which makes it kinda charming

I have been playing for 6 hours straight.

So far I've done the tutorial area, got my amiibo horse, some armor sets from other amiibo that I have and rode around Hyrule Field looking for a stable.

Right now I'm getting something to eat before picking the game back up.

I've said before I'm not big on crafting, and that is still kinda true

But I've learned my true love in this game is building big ass bridges to cross water when I'm "supposed" to use a boat

TP2RWbq.png

That first tower cannot be the real first tower man. I keep dying and dying and dying.
You seem to have picked the wrong tower to start. Go for the Lanayru (eastern) one, easiest one.
But I've learned my true love in this game is building big ass bridges to cross water when I'm "supposed" to use a boat
River currents don't allow that, though. They should have put some "log dents" to make bridges near rivers too. Wasted my time gacha-ing few fans.

Popping in to say Merry Zelda Day, everyone! Been playing most of the day and it's amazing that despite seeing a lot in the last few trailers, I feel like 95% of what was shown was all in the tutorial area. SO much was held back, and I've barely scratched the surface.

holy shit I just played up until completing the ultrahand shrine and already this game is breathtaking. absolutely gorgeous. i love everything about it iafklhdsfhadiuufhadsf

Seriously, this guy got style!
I'm a straight man and I can safely say Link is super hot

I've said before I'm not big on crafting, and that is still kinda true

TP2RWbq.png
Lol I did this too

Unfortunately I still have work but looking forward to jumping back into TotK tonight

Six hours in, slightly mixed on it leaning positive so far.

It is absolutely a more robust and full featured game than BOTW (and I am sure many, or maybe even most, will love it for that), but so much of BOTW's central elegance and simplicity of design has been lost in the exchange, which bums me out a little.

At any rate, if my criticisms are summarized as "this is not quite as good as the game I consider as the literal best game ever made" then I think we're in a good spot lol. I am also hoping that the more I play, the more I can take and enjoy it on its own terms.

Question for very early on post-tutorial:

Does the game explain why
Purah suddenly grew up? Her description says she was "a child until very recently" but that's... it?

Also I have to praise the tutorial area specifically: It's SUCH a good way to introduce the new mechanics, a lot of other mechanics and ideas that are returning from BOTW, tease the early plot and characters, and put it all in a gorgeous setting that's so chill and wonderful. Sure, in a way it's very similar to the Great Plateau was in BOTW, but it basically takes that and expands it and turns it to 11.

I got an alert that the game was delivered, and left work two hours early. Just got finished playing for about 6 straight hours. Fun seeing friends log in and start playing the same game as the normal work day ends. I ordered from walmart, and the gold wall scroll is a higher quality than I expected. Pretty nice.

After getting down from the sky islands and doing some of the initial story I went down into
the depths. I didn't know anything about this. I thought it was going to be a cave, but it seems like just another whole map? I just kept goingthrough the darkness, shooting those light flowers as I went. There are lots of fun combat camps down, and finding your way around is a real challenge.

I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time, and it really seems to be living up to the hype.

I have to vent.

The first two hours was amazing but is it me or does the level design go to absolute shit in the snowy area of the Great Sky Island?
Getting up to the shrine was a pain as the correct path up wasn't signposted clearly and the path that seems natural just lead to slippery unclimbable cliffs. This would be fine normally, but when I am under time pressure because I don't have any warm clothing it was incredibly annoying.
Ended up using a guide, and I shouldn't have to do that for the starting area.

After that, it took me nearly an hour to get back to the temple of time because there wasn't an intuitive path from the snow shrine back there. At one point I spent half an hour trying to cross a freezing river the opposite direction to what the devs clearly intended, and it was impossible because the combination of the the current, the physics system being too fussy, and the logs not sticking together evenly meant this seemingly simple task was nightmarish.

In the end I just gave up and went the long way around, and now I feel like crap because the game was so amazing and then suddenly it was nothing but frustration.

EDIT: I've had time to calm down now and realize where I went wrong. In the moment I just felt really frustrated and posted impulsively. Sorry.

Last edited:
Stables aren't unlocked from the start? wtf? What am I gonna do, go all the way to Kakariko by foot?
If you follow the main path you come to one pretty quick. Unfortunately I lost my first horse though :( Kind of think it is a bad decision to allow you to catch and tame horses before you get to a stable

how the heck do you dodge? i feel like i’ve tried every button. is it something that you have to unlock? i can’t remember if you had to unlock it in the first game

I have to vent.

The first two hours was amazing but is it me or does the level design go to absolute shit in the snowy area of the Great Sky Island?
Getting up to the shrine was a pain as the correct path up wasn't signposted clearly and the path that seems natural just lead to slippery unclimbable cliffs. This would be fine normally, but when I am under time pressure because I don't have any warm clothing it was incredibly annoying.
Ended up using a guide, and I shouldn't have to do that for the starting area.

After that, it took me nearly an hour to get back to the temple of time because there wasn't an intuitive path from the snow shrine back there. At one point I spent half an hour trying to cross a freezing river the opposite direction to what the devs clearly intended, and it was impossible because the combination of the the current, the physics system being too fussy, and the logs not sticking together evenly meant this seemingly simple task was nightmarish.

In the end I just gave up and went the long way around, and now I feel like crap because the game was so amazing and then suddenly it was nothing but frustration.
How did you miss the super obvious glider you were supposed to take? Even without it, it's only 5 minutes from that shrine to the temple.

Back
Top Bottom