• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
TotKSTHeader.jpg

Developer: Nintendo (EPD 3), MonolithSoft
Publisher: Nintendo
Director: Hidemaro Fujibayashi
Producer: Eji Aonuma
Release Date: May 12, 2023
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Genre: Action-Adventure
Download Size: 16 GB

Please tag any and all spoilers properly! This is a game about exploration and discovery, do not ruin that for your fellow members! The information here will only cover what has been seen in official pre-release material!

Spoiler Thread can be found here.
TotKIntroStory.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the long-awaited sequel to 2017's The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Breath of the Wild was a runaway critical and commercial success for Nintendo, and a game that helped revolutionize both the Zelda series and open world games as a whole. Now Tears of the Kingdom hopes to do the same, providing players with a refreshed and revamped Hyrule, a new set of tools and abilities to experiment with, and a deeper narrative with intrigue and new characters. In addition to an altered Hyrule, Link will now also explore new islands that fill the skies above, and perhaps some unexpected new places altogether.

Following the events of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Calamity Ganon has been sealed away, and the people of Hyrule have finally begun to recover and rebuild their fallen kingdom. And yet, perhaps this hard-won peace is more tenuous that it seems. Deep in the depths below Hyrule Castle, Link and Princess Zelda explore the mysterious ruins of an ancient civilization, and in doing so find a cave where a dried and withered corpse lies pinned to a raised stone slab by a magical arm construct. What follows are the events that will see Zelda separated from Link, the hero and his sword burned by corrosive Malice, and the revival of an evil king into this world.

Now, let's meet the key players on this new adventure:

TotKLink.jpg

TotKZelda.jpg

TotKGanondorf.jpg

Link will be sure to encounter a wide variety of both new and familiar faces on his journey. Some may even be willing to step up and join the hero in the fight to save Hyrule!

ded40810-da06-11ed-873e-4039570aca71.cf.jpg

TotKWhatsNew.jpg

World Changes​

So far, we've seen that the Hyrule of Tears of the Kingdom will differentiate in several ways from that of Breath of the Wild. Most prominently we've seen the new Sky Islands, but the surface of the world has not gone unchanged with the passage of time. In trailers, several new enemies have been observed, as well as variations on some familiar ones. New structures and challenges seem to dot the map. As for what else has changed? You'll just have to dive in and discover for yourself!

New Abilities​

Link's mysterious new arm has granted him several new abilities to aid him on his journey!

Tears_of_the_Kingdom_Ascend_%281%29.jpg

Ascend can be used in areas with a ceiling overhead. Link will immediately shoot upwards and travel through the ceiling and whatever material lays between him and the other side.

Tears_of_the_Kingdom_Fuse_Mushroom.jpg

Fuse will allow link to merge two items together to create something new. Doing so can also increase the durability of his items!

Tears_of_the_Kingdom_Machine_Parts.jpg

Ultrahand can be used to manipulate objects similar to magnesis, but with a new benefit! Link can attach objects together to create contraptions such as vehicles to better help him traverse the land and skies.

Tears_of_the_Kingdom_Recall.jpg

Recall reverses time for an affected object. This allows Link to send projectiles back from where they came, or to ride falling stones back into the sky!

For a more in-depth explanation of some of Link's new abilities, please check out the gameplay demonstration hosted by Eji Aonuma, where he gives practical demonstrations on the Ascend, Fuse, Recall, and Ultra Hand abilities.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – Mr. Aonuma Gameplay Demonstration​

TotKFAQ.jpg

Q: Does this game use the same map as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild?

A: Yes. As a direct sequel that takes place in the same version of Hyrule as its predecessor, this is still the same world from Breath of the Wild, complete with the same geography and landmarks. If you are intimately familiar with Hyrule from Breath of the Wild, I would expect you to come in with a good lay of the land. However, events have created some drastic changes in the overworld, and new sky islands float above Hyrule. In addition, all may not be as it seems, and perhaps there are new places yet to be discovered for returning players from Breath of the Wild.

Q: I have been trying to avoid leaks and spoilers for this game, is this thread safe?

A: Yes! All spoilers in this thread are advised to be properly tagged and hidden appropriately. As with anything, proceed with your own risk when discussing a new game online, but we will do our best to make sure this thread is safe for discussion for anyone who is still playing the game and experiencing new things.

Q: Does this game really cost $70 (USD)?

A: Yes, this is the first game from Nintendo to list a price increase from the standard $60. However, it is also eligible to be purchased with a voucher available through Nintendo Switch Online. This will allow you to purchase 2 vouchers for $100, making the cost effectively $50 for the digital version.

Q: Is there amiibo support?

Yes, the game is confirmed to have some form of amiibo support, and will receive a new Link amiibo for this game.

Q: What is included with the Collector's Edition?

The Collector's Edition comes with the Game, a Steel Book, an Artbook, a Poster, and a Pin Set.
ttok_collectors_edition.jpg

TotKReviews.jpg

Meteoritic: 96
OpenCritic: 97

Hey there, it's your old buddy Brewster.

Switch_ACNH_ND20211015_Update_SCRN_42__1_.0.jpg

Those are some nice scores so far! That’s good, I think that’s what a lot of you were hoping for after all. Just wanted to say, even if some reviewers or other people out there don’t like this game as much as others, it’s all cool. What matters is how you feel. Anyway, just wanted to say that. Have a good day and enjoy the game!

animal-crossing-the-roost-brianna-fox-priest.jpg

IGN: 10/10
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is an unfathomable follow-up, expanding a world that already felt full beyond expectation and raising the bar ever higher into the clouds.

Destructoid: 10/10
I loved nearly every minute of Tears of the Kingdom. From zooming up into the sky to spelunking in the depths, there’s way more to explore here, and I feel like I haven’t even scratched the surface outside of the main story and some key sidequests. But the real kicker that helps separate Tears from Breath of the Wild is its big swing power set. I felt like I was in control at all times, and had the ability to create my own path. For a series known for sequence-breaking that’s not just a perk; it’s a strong argument for why Tears of the Kingdom will be talked about for years on end, and may even top some favorite Zelda lists.

GameSpot: 10/10
Tears of the Kingdom is a triumph of open-ended game design that pays homage to the best parts of the Zelda franchise's own storied history--and sometimes exceeds them.

Game Informer: 9.8/10
Nearly every encounter, whether puzzle, traversal, or combat, must be reconsidered. It makes you think in new ways. I didn’t get the same goosebumps exploring Hyrule as I did in the past, but I did experience new emotions both on a granular level from solving individual puzzles and on a larger scale by going back to one of my favorite video game locations. They say you can never go home again, but I adored returning to Hyrule with all new tools.

Eurogamer: 4/5
A terrific Breath of the Wild follow-up with some brilliant new systems, amazing views and more dungeon-type spaces, plus a slightly deadening emphasis on gathering resources.

Be sure to check out our review thread!

MediaTotK.jpg

Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - First Look Trailer - Nintendo E3 2019​

Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - E3 2021 Teaser - Nintendo Direct​

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – Official Trailer #1​

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – Official Trailer #2​

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – Official Trailer #3​

Official Website​

Ask the Developer, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Some spoilers)​

++++++++++++++++
Well folks, after four years, it's finally here! I hope everyone has a great time with Tears of the Kingdom and I look forward to discussing it with you all! I want to give some acknowledgements to the people who helped with this thread:

Thanks to @OTBWY for creating the font used in these images and the TotK Famiboards logo
Thanks to Daniel Alba (@EvernightStudio on twitter) for allowing me to use his edits for the character portraits!
Thanks to @Irene for the thread subtitle and the fantastic launch party thread!
And thanks to everyone in the Famiboards community who helped hype this game in the pre-release thread!

Last edited:
Oh my god this is feeling more real now

I've fused rockets to the hype train and we are leaping OVER the tracks

Other sites posted their version of the thread, so I felt there wasn't much reason to hold back anymore.

I'm not saying this thread shouldnt be up yet, just saying the last thread got locked suddenly and we had so many pages...lol

It's cool, the game is almost out which is what really matters

So hyped for this. Unfortunately, I have family visiting on Friday for Mother’s Day…I’ll have to find a way to balance my time!

I was ready to post the Zelda rap here but I’m absolutely terrified of going to YouTube and copping random thumbnail spoilers.

Anyway, hype! Two days until we’re in a world where we can play TotK.

Got a five day weekend starting Friday. Gonna try to repeat what I did with BOTW when I first played it and stay up for 40+ hours straight.

LINKIN PARTS

Incredible subtitle, I'm so ready to dive into this game. Crazy that it's finally here (in TWO DAYS)

youtube 720p

Developer Interview Part 1&2 here

part 3 of the interview should be "unlocked" in 10 to 12 hours

Have to say the bit where they talk about the difference between BotW and TotK—characterizing the former as a game that was comparatively lonely and the latter as a story about cooperation—and how they relate that to the mechanics really excites me. It's exactly what I was thinking about in another post of mine.

Like Fujibayashi describes, something Zelda games have proven to be exceptionally good at is achieving a high degree of synchronicity across the gameplay, visuals, music, and narrative. It's something I really love and I'm so stoked to jump into another game like BotW where so many elements feel like they flow from the same strand.

Fujibayashi:
Titles in The Legend of Zelda series intertwine all the elements of gameplay, mechanics, and story, and combine them all into a single game. For this title, we chose “hands” as the key theme to bring them all together. For example, abilities that Link uses to solve puzzles are all released from his hand and arm. We even included this symbolically in the game's mechanics, such as having scenes that use hands when opening special doors. This "hands" theme also crops up here and there as a key element as the story develops.

Dohta:
The previous game was a relatively lonesome game, or rather an endurance game where you made full use of Link's body and strength alone to traverse the vast world. What's unique this time is joining hands and cooperating with various characters, and at times, creating items with Link's own hands and utilising them as you progress.

Takizawa:
We were intentional about making this “hands” theme show through in the visuals as well as in the story direction. If you watch the trailers that we've released so far, I think you may be able to get a sense of this atmosphere.

Wakai:
We also expressed the “hands” theme by implementing handclaps and such in the game's music.

Aonuma:
Well, simply put, "hands" expresses the idea of "connecting". This applies to the story too, which connects to Hyrule's past. ...

Last edited:

the princess says 2 days more , and i am loving that fire animation

Have to say the bit where they talk about the difference between BotW and TotK—characterizing the former as a game that was comparatively lonely and the latter as a story about cooperation—and how they relate that to the mechanics really excites me. It's exactly what I was thinking about in another post of mine.

Like Fujibayashi describes, something Zelda games have proven to be exceptionally good at is achieving a high degree of synchronicity across the gameplay, visuals, music, and narrative. It's something I really love and I'm so stoked to jump into another game like BotW where so many elements feel like they flow from the same strand.
Am I going to go back through all of the trailers to specifically take note of all of the times a hand is prominently featured in a shot? I mean what else am I gonna do in the next 48 hours?

I was so relieved to pass from the high anxiety phase of anticipation to the somewhat dead inside "is it even real?" phase this week. Not long now.

Took Friday off for this game. I think this is the first time I've called out for a game since Brawl - I had to beg my mom to let me skip school, lmao

Getting my CE through in-store pickup at Best Buy on Friday. Never done in-store pickup with them before so I hope it goes well. Meanwhile, the CE I ordered for my brother on Amazon is still saying it'll arrive on Monday which sucks. Really wanted us to be able to play it at the same time together.

Back
Top Bottom