• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

Dude wtf is the intended solution for the Kakariko Village shrine? Is this really it?? It feels absolutely insane that they expected you to come up with this, and might just be the best puzzle I've ever experienced in a game before; had me stumped for about an hour and utilised every single ability they gave you to the fullest.

I was about to post about this exact shrine, I just spent 45 minutes solving with nothing but ultra hand in a very similar way to this, just with climbing and using the heads to hold up the giant column and then climbing it to the top.

You over complicated the shit out of that lol

Hit the zonai with the l shaped piece so it goes vertical, climb the L shaped grate and glide over. Repeat to get into the area with the ball*. Put the ball in the cup and hit the zonai to launch the ball over the wall. Attach the ball launcher to the l shaped piece, put link in the bucket and shoot with the zonai thing with an arrow which flings link to the goal.

*to get the chest, grab the l shapped grate and zonai and bring them into the locked area with the first ball launcher, just climb to the chest
And I’m now realizing that it’s because while I figured out what the statues did, I had NO IDEA you could turn them on and off. That… would have made things much easier, lol.

The Great Plateau is an amazing starting area in its simplicity in perfectly capturing BotW’s base mechanics and loop.

The Great Sky Island feels a bit more guided level design meant to teach you the abilities to the point where it almost feels like an open air dungeon,It relies way more on its new runes than the overworld parts of the GP did.

I don’t necessarily mean that in a bad way. Both are extremely, extremely strong examples of level design.

i figured that out immediately, it just doesn’t feel good. rotating items with the d-pad is just clunky. and having to move link to move an item seems to me like it’s gonna lead to falling off a cliff at some point, unless you don’t have to move link in which case ignore this part.
It takes some getting used to, for sure, but once you do it’s pretty great IMO if still sometimes a bit clunky.

To move objects without moving Link: The right stick moves them up/down/left/right, but the d-pad (while NOT in rotate mode) moves them forward and backward

Okay, THAT was perhaps far and away one of the most breathtaking things I've ever experienced in a video game before.

I just can't with this game.

It shouldn't exist.

I had the same issue tbh, the intro area does a good job telegraphing your direction (without it feeling like you're being guided) until you have to figure out how to get to the ice shrine. But it does get a lot better once you get to Hyrule.
I thought it was pretty great honestly, with maybe the only exception being the slippery cliff. I used a log to just climb up to the shrine instead.

But after that, there’s a ledge overhang right next to the shrine that screams “ascend” that leads directly to a glider that leads directly to the Temple of Time, it’s a nice loop around the whole sky island that seemed pretty natural to me

I thought it was pretty great honestly, with maybe the only exception being the slippery cliff. I used a log to just climb up to the shrine instead.

But after that, there’s a ledge overhang right next to the shrine that screams “ascend” that leads directly to a glider that leads directly to the Temple of Time, it’s a nice loop around the whole sky island that seems pretty natural to me
Yeah I can kinda get the complaints about getting to the shrine before you get ascend, but the loop back to the TOT is really natural and well done with the Wing

The Great Plateau is an amazing starting area in its simplicity in perfectly capturing BotW’s base mechanics and loop.

The Great Sky Island feels a bit more guided level design meant to teach you the abilities to the point where it almost feels like an open air dungeon,It relies way more on its new runes than the overworld parts of the GP did.

I don’t necessarily mean that in a bad way. Both are extremely, extremely strong examples of level design.
I think this is why I liked it more, actually. Once I got to the surface I felt a bit disappointed that I was back to large open fields and kind of wanted to just be back doing sky island puzzles again, lol. Of course that disappointment was brief, but I really enjoyed the more open air dungeon feel.

Re: The third Great Sky Island Shrine

I renember using the outer wall of the cave you climb up beforehand to get myself onto the area just below the shrine. From there it was simple.

....was that not the solution? 😅

Using the Wing for the first time to glide all the way back to the Temple of Time was a fantastic moment.

2020: Getting bodied by a random bokoblin on the Great Plateau

2023: Getting bodied by a random bokoblin on the Great Plateau

Some things never change.

I have to vent.

The first two hours was amazing but is it me or does the level design go to absolute shit in the snowy area of the Great Sky Island?
Getting up to the shrine was a pain as the correct path up wasn't signposted clearly and the path that seems natural just lead to slippery unclimbable cliffs. This would be fine normally, but when I am under time pressure because I don't have any warm clothing it was incredibly annoying.
Ended up using a guide, and I shouldn't have to do that for the starting area.

After that, it took me nearly an hour to get back to the temple of time because there wasn't an intuitive path from the snow shrine back there. At one point I spent half an hour trying to cross a freezing river the opposite direction to what the devs clearly intended, and it was impossible because the combination of the the current, the physics system being too fussy, and the logs not sticking together evenly meant this seemingly simple task was nightmarish.

In the end I just gave up and went the long way around, and now I feel like crap because the game was so amazing and then suddenly it was nothing but frustration.
While I’m also not a fan of having to solve a puzzle (ascend icy wall) under time pressure (cold) while literally burning resources for another attempt if it fails, especially at the start of the game, I didn’t even know there was another, intended, much easier way that I missed somehow. I just
cut down some trees and stuck 3 logs together to make a really long ramp and ran up that .

The whiplash of fighting Mucktorok after Colgera is severe, goddamn. How did they look at that fight and decide, yup, this stupid looking octopus is a good boss.

Went from arguably the best boss fight between the two games to arguably the worst. What a letdown.

But after that, there’s a ledge overhang right next to the shrine that screams “ascend” that leads directly to a glider that leads directly to the Temple of Time, it’s a nice loop around the whole sky island that seemed pretty natural to me

Yeah, that ledge overhanging there just after you get the ascend ability is a pretty clear indication of what you need to do. And after that, you are introduced to the glider which is an amazing "I am totally freeeeee!!!" experience of the game. Also, the moment I realised you could control it depending where you stood over it was mind blowing.

Also, I don't think I needed to build anything to get to the snow shrine. Isn't there a part of the wall that is climbable? I don't know how I did it but it was pretty natural, hence I don't remember it lol what's the intended strat to get there? I only remember the fight you have against two zonai enemies next to it which had a climbable part of the wall, not sure if the shrine is the same.

I also got a bit of a let down when I went back to the vast Hyrule... I enjoy way more the puzzly dense design of the sky island than the openess of Hyrule. For me the great sky island felt much more interesting and enjoyable than the Great Plateau.

Last edited:
Has anyone else done Kiuyoyou Shrine (Fire And Ice Shrine)? I've gotten softlocked twice out of the ice cube dropping from the chute next to the fire and spikes and have had to reload my save. This happen to anyone else?

This really is "decision paralysis: the game". So many places to explore and see, so many weapons combination I just can't decide what to do first.

I have bad things to say about the game.

The economy of Zonai parts is a bit busted no? I'm just at the beginning and I'm already swimming in spare parts, I could literally build a space station if the ultrahand ability wasn't so clunky.
It doesn't feel really rewarding at all to build stuff so far, and certainly not as imaginative as the troll physics contraptions made in BOTW. I guess it'll be good for streamers and TikTok videos, but I really don't feel engaged by that aspect of the game.

Also, the Zonai gatcha machines are such chore to use, as link can't carry more than 5 items and you constantly need to open the menu.

Concerning the new abilities, I find ultrahand clunky, fuse goofy, and ascend braindead. But I'm really early in the game so my impressions may change as I will progress.

I'm not far into the game, and I'm sure there are great moments later, but the opening so far doesn't impress me at all.

also, fucking Korok seeds man.

I mentioned in the DF thread that the character AO was disabled in game and only enabled in the pre-rendered cutscenes, but that turns out to not be the case. Even in game, characters have an AO map that provides an additional shade on top of the two-tone cel-shading wherever there are significant crevices and recesses that make it hard for even ambient light to reach. The quality is just lower in game, so it's harder to see.

Here's an example:

IMG_20230513_025928.jpg

There is only one light source (the sun) that is contributing to the cel-shading of this model (I needed this to be the case in order to rule out other light sources adding more tones). As you can see in area that I circled, there is a third, darker shade in an already shaded area, indicating a recessed region with little ambient light. So the only downgrade compared to the pre-rendered cutscenes is the quality of the occlusion/shading. But it's still nice to see it wasn't completely disabled in game.

Slowly getting what this game is about thematically: where BotW was about solitude, TotK is much more social. Hyrule feels truly alive this time.

Narratively they got me so far. Recently finished the tutorial, and while some patented Zelda story messiness is clearly present, it feels like they have something to say and are telling it in an interesting way. Loving the characters too. Curious how it develops.

So far I'm just following the main quest - this game is overwhelming in it's scale and complexity, and taking a look underground immediately made me nope out due to difficulty and oppressiveness.

So far, musically, it's very much in the BotW ambient vein. Hope to reach some bangers soon!

Visually the game looks great, but forests suffer due to the combination of sharpening and foliage/shadow aliasing. It's easily forgiven though, looking at how far they push the systems interactions - even BotW's systems are pushed further with how much NPCs (accidentally) trigger physics and chemistry reactions. On top of all the other stuff... Crazy!

Oh dang there's a fuckin' Tetris Shrine. This last puzzle is really working my noggin though. Must resist urge to look up walkthrough...

I just did 8 shrines before bed. The "combat" shrines seem to be a step back compared to the ones in BotW. Hopefully there are more difficult ones since I enjoyed those the most in BotW.

Yes, that part is fine and well implemented. I'm talking about getting to the shrine. I spent a good 10-15 minutes walking around aimlessly until I found the way up. This was the only time I ever got stuck on the island, and being compounded with the time factor because of the cold makes for a not so fun experience.

I went to a place on the map.
I expected some cool stuff.

I did NOT expect a once-in-a-generation wow moment.

What a phenomenal piece of art this has turned out to be.
I forgot who suggested it but we should absolutely make that TOTK thread where people suggest places to go without spoiling what’s there

Cause I wanna ask what you saw but i don’t want to be spoiled and it would have to be added to the list of places I’m trying to visit lol

Edit: oh someone did! Excellent

Last edited:
Has anyone else done Kiuyoyou Shrine (Fire And Ice Shrine)? I've gotten softlocked twice out of the ice cube dropping from the chute next to the fire and spikes and have had to reload my save. This happen to anyone else?
I made a frustrated post earlier about how I had a few shrines that night where I had to warp out/reload because I felt I put the shrine in a softlocked state and it included that one. I'm sure there's ways to unstuck it but I didn't see it. Haven't had issues today so maybe I just picked a few unlucky in a row lol.

I’m not surprised that reaching the third shrine in the sky island stumps some people. It’s really easy to get to from the perspective of setting out from the Temple of Time each time, you can see the mountain, run straight to the stairs at the base of it, and it guides you gently from there, a slow ascent along the river/waterfall. But for players running straight at the third shrine from the second, probably taking in the mine or just exploring on the way, that’s where it’s a bit less obvious in the route taken with the icy cliff. That’s the way I went and I laughed when I was heading back to the Temple of Time later, only to turn around and see the route at the base of the mountain that I previously didn’t bother with. it’s cool that there’s several ways up though.

Question- if you add a fan or fans to a glider, does it go faster or anything?

I’m not surprised that the third shrine in the sky island stumps some people. It’s really easy to get to from the perspective of setting out from the Temple of Time each time, you can see the mountain, run straight to the stairs at the base of it, and it guides you gently from there, a slow ascent along the river/waterfall. But for players running straight at the third shrine from the second, probably taking in the mine or just exploring on the way, that’s where it’s a bit less obvious in the route taken with the icy cliff. That’s the way I went and I laughed when I was heading back to the Temple of Time later, only to turn around and see the route at the base of the mountain that I previously didn’t bother with. it’s cool that there’s several ways up though.
I thought it was a real pain. Been up and down the bottomless cave to see if I missed something. Had to look it up how to get there lol, since I couldn't find a way to stock up on anti-cold food lol.

And now going for my first tower still. Thanks to @9-Volt I have an idea where to go. Seems Nintendo traded in hand holding for Ultrahand lol

I have to say, this game is absurdly Ghibli-inspired, even compared to its predecessor. Like the opening title reveal feels like a blatant Joe Hisaishi homage, and the entire underground area is pretty much just the toxic jungle from Nausicaa.

its time for HFV ( Hyrule Funniest Videos ) for the weekend
gameplay videos , non story content

Omg, the fact that

in TotK you have access to the horses you registered in BotW

is something that absolutely makes a lot of sense, but I didn't actually expect them to do it and it got me all teary eyed for no reason.

The mini boss on the tutorial area is one of those moments that only Nintendo can provide you. Such elegant and creative use of the systems the game has established.

Is there a way to reunite the koroks other than carrying them with ultrahand? Sometimes they're very far apart and it's very sluggish to walk with ultrahand on

Is there a way to reunite the koroks other than carrying them with ultrahand? Sometimes they're very far apart and it's very sluggish to walk with ultrahand on
Just make a very basic vehicle (there's always materials next to it) and just send them there. Or...strap a rocket on him. :LOL:

I feel like I'm missing a ton of Koroks, cause mostly all I'm finding are the reunite ones. Have yet to see any ones outside of that and I've explored most of the Hyrule Field area.

The solution to everyone's cold woes in the tutorial area. Fuse a stack of wood from chopping down a tree to a metal sword to create a make shift torch, like torches it won't burn out. Thanks to gamespot for this tip.

Omg, the fact that

in TotK you have access to the horses you registered in BotW

is something that absolutely makes a lot of sense, but I didn't actually expect them to do it and it got me all teary eyed for no reason.
Holy shit! I need to find a stable ASAP

Or...strap a rocket on him. :LOL:
Can confirm that this works to hilarious results

I feel like I'm missing a ton of Koroks, cause mostly all I'm finding are the reunite ones. Have yet to see any ones outside of that and I've explored most of the Hyrule Field area.
I got like 16 from the tutorial area alone! Quite a few are similar to the puzzles in BotW, look out for those.

Speaking of which I spotted a hollow tree trunk, went inside to search for the Korok that was sure to be there, and (new TotK thing) got crushed to death by a big gloopy mass of wriggling gloom hands. I’m sorry, what?!

If that’s the one with the swinging arm button where you hit the ball up the ramp at a target I STILL haven’t figured out the way to get the bonus chest from hitting the second target .
I think the intended solution is
to use one of those pin/stake devices, attach it to the right side of the hanging plate and then move the stake into the ceiling above it so you've wound up pinning the plate upwards, at least a bit

cut the head off any Dandelion flowers you see...

Omg omg omg, played like 10 hours and I discovered my first entrance to the
depths! I was about to be disappointed thinking it was only chasms and caves but no, depths is MASSIVE

Back
Top Bottom