• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

Part of the fun of my replay has been trying to do more of the small things I never did in my first run that I can appreciate a lot more now. For instance, I actually traveled on the roads once my map told me where they were. Did a full circle of the map with them and I'd say by doing that I usually ran into something interesting every 5 minutes. Hard to appreciate when you are running in every direction like a mad man for your first playthrough haha.

I'm kind of having the feeling I might not entirely be playing the game as intented 🤔

For some context, while exploring Hyrule, I somehow managed to reach the Thunderhead Isles using some of those floaty rocks and rocket airplane creations, found my way across the various Isles to another Island (Dragonhead Island) and ran into a big door which required a pretty decent health bar. I have done absolutely nothing regarding the main quest yet and am just kind of meandering about the world aimlessly. So I'm having a potential gut feeling that maybe, just maybe, that I might need to actually start following some quests...

I'm kind of having the feeling I might not entirely be playing the game as intented 🤔

For some context, while exploring Hyrule, I somehow managed to reach the Thunderhead Isles using some of those floaty rocks and rocket airplane creations, found my way across the various Isles to another Island (Dragonhead Island) and ran into a big door which required a pretty decent health bar. I have done absolutely nothing regarding the main quest yet and am just kind of meandering about the world aimlessly. So I'm having a potential gut feeling that maybe, just maybe, that I might need to actually start following some quests...

There are definitely a few quests that require you to complete things in a certain order (which is cool imo because it fulfills that “linear” Zelda itch within an open world context). This is one of those quests.

There are definitely a few quests that require you to complete things in a certain order (which is cool imo because it fulfills that “linear” Zelda itch within an open world context). This is one of those quests.
In my opinion, they could do that a lot more often. No reason in an open world to not restrict access to a some dungeons/tombs/caves/areas until you have received a certain key or did something else important in that world.

I liked the caves in BotW where one held the solution to complete the other. If you know it already (or look into a guide), you can solve it immediately. Otherwise you are forced to move on, take a note and come back later.
I crave for an open world fantasy game that incorporates the strengths of Outer Wilds, where knowledge is key. I want to solve riddles in dungeons, understand a foreign culture and their concepts/believes and use this knowledge to get access to other areas/treasures.

BotW/TotK had a few Indiana Jones like quests, like standing on a place and looking into a specific direction at a certain hour of the day...or something similar.
But these mostly had all the hints in the quest description already.
I want these kind of quests more fleshed out and cryptic, where you really feel like an archaeologist. Let me take picture of old murals with my sheikah slateand piece them together to solve a mystery. And so on.

Funny. I came here without any prompting as well but I had completed whatever story requirements existed so I could move on to the next section….one part of which led me to an area I’d discovered 10s of hours before and could not understand what I needed to do. I wish there had been a similar message there saying the time wasn’t right.

Still just doing whatever in the game and somehow managed to make my way all the way down the caves under Hyrule Castle. All the way down, down, down, down, down, down and further down until I reach the absolute bottom. All kinds of creepy music and a diving place. Had one heart left and managed to defeat the Demon King Army and so far so good! And then... I couldn't continue because the next segment required the glider since I have nothing to catch the upward draft with...

74mK.gif

There's one thing I absolutely despise about this game, and that is the correct solution.

You're supposed to use the sticks as supports for a lengthy railway around the room, but meh.

Moving the discussion here:

I think it's the right behavior not to predict what exactly EPD3 is trying to do, and while it's safe to assume that their future direction is to go for open world and freedom as the absolute core of the gameplay, they're committed to bringing a completely different gameplay and experience with each installment, so I'm very much looking forward to the sequels that are made free from the BOTW framework

Judging by how TOTK evolved from BOTW, I’m thinking the team wants to develop even more tangible interactions with the world. It feels like Ultrahand and Ascension are steps into that direction. A direction where Link can literally roam wherever he wants to, having the series go from Open-Air to Open-Anything.

Judging by how TOTK evolved from BOTW, I’m thinking the team wants to develop even more tangible interactions with the world. It feels like Ultrahand and Ascension are steps into that direction. A direction where Link can literally roam wherever he wants to, having the series go from Open-Air to Open-Anything.
I don't think it makes sense to talk about "freedom" in general, the Legend of Zelda series has always been an action-adventure game, and the root of freedom is that EPD3 wants different players to be free to adventure in their own way, and pure openness and freedom is something only sandbox games do, so any discussion about how to expand the freedom of the future Legend of Zelda series can't ignore the essence of action-adventure, which is exploration, puzzle solving and collecting. For EPD3, the player's creativity itself must be utilized for level design and map exploration or puzzle solving in order for it to have any meaning.

Of course, I agree with you that "multiplicative design" or "systematic design" will be one of the directions in which the Legend of Zelda will continue to expand in the future, but I just caution that we need to differentiate between the freedom of adventure and the freedom of a sandbox game!

Of course, I agree with you that "multiplicative design" or "systematic design" will be one of the directions in which the Legend of Zelda will continue to expand in the future, but I just caution that we need to differentiate between the freedom of adventure and the freedom of a sandbox game!
It’s gonna be hard to achieve when you take into consideration that, for the sake of narrative, the game should have some restrictions in place to dodge situations such as TOTK’s Sages having the same cutscenes and dialogue.

But overall, I’m excited to see how different the next entry will be to both BOTW and TOTK

I’ve had this weirdly recurring thought on the next entry. I don’t know why it won’t leave my brain. It’s nothing but unwritten fanfic. But it’s just lodged in there.

The Legend of Zelda: The Lightning Knight. A new open world setting chiefly revised to include short-range aerial teleportation in which the player summons thunderstorms, taps into them through the power of… whatever, and “rides the lightning” to blink in and out of existence across the stormclouds. During the “blink,” you can use a key ability to warp into a separate realm that only lightning-riders can reach, a spin on the Sacred Realm.

The main overworld is a made-from-scratch concept, AKA not Hyrule, whilst the Sacred Realm stand-in is decidedly Hyrule-esque. And needless to say, Nintendo can market this mechanic as “truly the evolution of open-air.” Ha.

I guess the one thing I can take from my mental fixation with this is that I think there’s still plenty that can be done with the style introduced in Breath of the Wild, but it needs to be a paradigm shift on some level as well.

I’ve had this weirdly recurring thought on the next entry. I don’t know why it won’t leave my brain. It’s nothing but unwritten fanfic. But it’s just lodged in there.

The Legend of Zelda: The Lightning Knight. A new open world setting chiefly revised to include short-range aerial teleportation in which the player summons thunderstorms, taps into them through the power of… whatever, and “rides the lightning” to blink in and out of existence across the stormclouds. During the “blink,” you can use a key ability to warp into a separate realm that only lightning-riders can reach, a spin on the Sacred Realm.

The main overworld is a made-from-scratch concept, AKA not Hyrule, whilst the Sacred Realm stand-in is decidedly Hyrule-esque. And needless to say, Nintendo can market this mechanic as “truly the evolution of open-air.” Ha.

I guess the one thing I can take from my mental fixation with this is that I think there’s still plenty that can be done with the style introduced in Breath of the Wild, but it needs to be a paradigm shift on some level as well.

That's a really fun idea!
I've also been thinking about some kind of teleportation power in the next Zelda, but the best I've come up with is to just give Link a portal gun lol.

I wonder if the next Zelda will dwelve in the open sea, under the sea, better sky or all of the above.

I think Hidemaro Fujibayashi is a developer who is very passionate about the time theme, and if the time comes I think there's a good chance that he'll make a Legend of Zelda that focuses on time-based gameplay
That would be veeery interesting

I think Hidemaro Fujibayashi is a developer who is very passionate about the time theme, and if the time comes I think there's a good chance that he'll make a Legend of Zelda that focuses on time-based gameplay
Both BOTW and TOTK have time-based powers already with Stasis and Recall, so yeah, I could absolutely see him wanting to expand further on that for the next game.

Both BOTW and TOTK have time-based powers already with Stasis and Recall, so yeah, I could absolutely see him wanting to expand further on that for the next game.
both of these abilities remain essentially a design based on the rules of physics rather than time itself, and the Legend of Zelda series has historically implemented time play into exploration and puzzle solving with Ocarina of Time and Oracle of ages and Skyward Sword, the latter two of which were designed by none other than Hidemaro Fujibayashi

both of these abilities remain essentially a design based on the rules of physics rather than time itself, and the Legend of Zelda series has historically implemented time play into exploration and puzzle solving with Ocarina of Time and Oracle of ages and Skyward Sword, the latter two of which were designed by none other than Hidemaro Fujibayashi
Out of the three that you mentioned, I've only played SS, but I can see what you mean.

I'm personally more interested in the physics gameplay, but it could certainly make for an interesting open world experience.

Out of the three that you mentioned, I've only played SS, but I can see what you mean.

I'm personally more interested in the physics gameplay, but it could certainly make for an interesting open world experience.
Yes, just now another friend similarly suggested a kind of paradigm-shifting imagery for open air, and I think the time theme could work just as well, after all I believe that future Legend of Zelda gameplay about freedom will bring more paradigms to open worlds

If Hidemaro Fujibayashi was behind the Lanayru Province in Skyward Sword, then I can definitely see him trying to do something similar in the next Zelda game at some point.

If Hidemaro Fujibayashi was behind the Lanayru Province in Skyward Sword, then I can definitely see him trying to do something similar in the next Zelda game at some point.
Hidemaro Fujibayashi is a brilliant or genius in his gameplay conception, as you can see from Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages, where the change of seasons and time travel are products of his conception, and although time travel is already very much a part of Ocarina of Time, you can see that Hidemaro Fujibayashi is very enthusiastic about the theme of "flow of time

Hidemaro Fujibayashi is a brilliant or genius in his gameplay conception, as you can see from Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages, where the change of seasons and time travel are products of his conception, and although time travel is already very much a part of Ocarina of Time, you can see that Hidemaro Fujibayashi is very enthusiastic about the theme of "flow of time
Although OoT already has time manipulation in it, I feel that the delivery that could be done via modern Zelda would be a spectacle!

But I wonder what sort of setting we’ll get in a hypothetical time manipulation game? Another post apocalyptic scenario, where we manipulate time to interact with the past and save the world?

I’d love to see more time-based gameplay. Recall is my favourite ability out of BotW and TotK aside from Ultrahand. It can feel hard to make use of Recall at first, but once you get your grips on the game, its usage is virtually limitless. It’s just so fun to play around with.

I also think it’s brilliant how well Recall works alongside Ultrahand, since Recall can be used to course correct when a machine accidentally takes off or goes in the wrong direction.

Although OoT already has time manipulation in it, I feel that the delivery that could be done via modern Zelda would be a spectacle!

But I wonder what sort of setting we’ll get in a hypothetical time manipulation game? Another post apocalyptic scenario, where we manipulate time to interact with the past and save the world?
I think if it just did that it would just be repeating what was done back in the OOT and SS days, I think it would likely take on a different look.Of course, it's possible that I can't predict what EPD3 will come up with because they really are a bunch of geniuses.

I think if it just did that it would just be repeating what was done back in the OOT and SS days, I think it would likely take on a different look.Of course, it's possible that I can't predict what EPD3 will come up with because they really are a bunch of geniuses.
What different look were you thinking? I'm honestly curious what time manipulation mechanics they could pull

What different look were you thinking? I'm honestly curious what time manipulation mechanics they could pull
Any discussion of future Legend of Zelda gameplay innovations must be predicated on the premise that the core gameplay must serve the two points of "freedom" and "environmental interaction", and it's clear that the time-based gameplay design of OOT and ss doesn't satisfy either of these two points, and EPD3 won't repeat the wheel-building

I feel like Zelda as a whole is going to stay the course in terms of open-world games, but what I'd be happy about would be to continue to use time manipulation. Personally, the coolest idea would be to expand on the ideas laid with the Lanayru region in Skyward Sword. I'd love if you could alter sub-sections of the map to a specific time period and how that could affect the world as a whole. Maybe you could have special quests that are affected by sub-sections interacting with eachother, certain quests can be completed and a future version of the sub-section can grant access to special equipment or areas, you could show bloodlines of NPCs evolve with the time periods or have characters that live for a long time carry information over time like the Zora or ancient machines.

There's so much awesome potential with the time concepts introduced in previous games that can be evolved with next-gen capabilities.

I'm not going to guess the exact gameplay, haha, because thinking about it too much creates a specific expectation of how it will play out in the future, and I'll be disappointed if EPD3 doesn't follow the exact scenario I have in my head, so I'm choosing not to guess.It's just that I know they won't be repeating ideas that have been done before.

Back
Top Bottom