• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

So you know how your Zonai contraptions despawn when you’re a set distance away from them, which is clearly a game limitation? Well, they made flying vehicles heavier than you, so when you accidentally dismount, say, a flying vehicle - not a wing vehicle, but one of those that is made out of a metal plank and 4 fans - it falls stupidly fast and despawns almost immediately.

Well, yesterday I dismounted one of those vehicles (you find one of them in the mount lanayru sky archipelago) and was like “no, dang”. However, I figured that I might make a feeble attempt to sort of fall with it, so I sped up my skydiving - and actually kept up with it, always being at close distance to it so that it didn’t despawn.

As such, I manage to not-despawn a flying vehicle as it fell down from the sky archipelago, landed on top of mount lanayru, and bounced down half the mountain only to land elegantly on top of an icicle with all parts intact.

So you know how your Zonai contraptions despawn when you’re a set distance away from them, which is clearly a game limitation? Well, they made flying vehicles heavier than you, so when you accidentally dismount, say, a flying vehicle - not a wing vehicle, but one of those that is made out of a metal plank and 4 fans - it falls stupidly fast and despawns almost immediately.

Well, yesterday I dismounted one of those vehicles (you find one of them in the mount lanayru sky archipelago) and was like “no, dang”. However, I figured that I might make a feeble attempt to sort of fall with it, so I sped up my skydiving - and actually kept up with it, always being at close distance to it so that it didn’t despawn.

As such, I manage to not-despawn a flying vehicle as it fell down from the sky archipelago, landed on top of mount lanayru, and bounced down half the mountain only to land elegantly on top of an icicle with all parts intact.

I think things only despawn as you move horizontally.
I once dropped my hoverbike from the highest point in the game. I stood around for a bit, and then paraglided down. And what did I see, in Lookout Landing of all places? My hoverbike!

I think things only despawn as you move horizontally.
I once dropped my hoverbike from the highest point in the game. I stood around for a bit, and then paraglided down. And what did I see, in Lookout Landing of all places? My hoverbike!

Oh, you’re probably correct. I was thinking about one time when my flying vehicle flew down and despawned but it was probably because it went down a chasm.

gameinformer interview is out

"Does the Hyrule we saw in the flashback scenes in Tears of the Kingdom predate Skyward Sword or does it come after the other games in the timeline?
HF:
Obviously, there's something a little bit clearer in our minds, but of course, it could be that we're wrong as well! [Laughs] I kind of want to pose the idea that, like in real-life history, you define by the artifacts and by the data that you currently have. So within what we have, there might be a correct answer, but it could be a different answer. So, I guess my answer would be that it could be both. Both could be correct."
UnUde27.gif

Artifacts and data.

Ganondorf's weapons have "Koume Kotake" engraved specifically in the Era of Hero of Time Ancient Hylian.

🤔

Good guy Fujibayashi teaching everyone the joys of archelogy and applying scientific thought to connect ancient history.

The ambiguous timeline is way more fun. It’s spawned a whole sub community of Zelda theorists which is quite fun to interact with. Off the back of TotK (and a bunch of replays) I’ve gotten into the Zelda lore way more than ever and it simply gives the community something to do versus skimming through a fixed sequence of events and being done.

"Does the Hyrule we saw in the flashback scenes in Tears of the Kingdom predate Skyward Sword or does it come after the other games in the timeline?
HF:
Obviously, there's something a little bit clearer in our minds, but of course, it could be that we're wrong as well! [Laughs] I kind of want to pose the idea that, like in real-life history, you define by the artifacts and by the data that you currently have. So within what we have, there might be a correct answer, but it could be a different answer. So, I guess my answer would be that it could be both. Both could be correct."
UnUde27.gif
So they’re gonna disregard the Timeline by hiding under the “Legend” part of the game:
• History is either accurate, or not

I still can't believe they're not doing dlc for this game. Wasted opportunity
The exclusion of Master Mode gave the impression they were gonna work on it, but the fact that TOTK started as DLC and them feeling done with this Hyrule, pretty much confirms it may have never been in the plans

I can see your perspective for sure. Personally I’ve still only seen like a fraction of what the game has to offer despite 85 hours of play time and beating the story, so I still have much to do lol. Also though, I’m glad they are moving on to a different style of Zelda with new ideas. I think if we got a 3rd game in this series with the same map and idea’s, it would lack the oomph that made these two games special to begin with.

I hope the next generation of Zelda is able to meld the og personality, atmosphere, and tight dungeon design of the earlier 3d titles with the freedom of exploration found in these two games. I’d actually be happier with a smaller, more densely packed hyrule if that makes sense. Still open enough to explore but not gargantuan like the most recent two tiles.

Some times less is more imo. I realized that this year when I replayed a link between worlds after beating tears of the kingdom. I preferred how densely packed and fun to explore hyrule and lorule were compared to the giant mountains and expansive empty fields of the most recent games.

The ambiguous timeline is way more fun. It’s spawned a whole sub community of Zelda theorists which is quite fun to interact with. Off the back of TotK (and a bunch of replays) I’ve gotten into the Zelda lore way more than ever and it simply gives the community something to do versus skimming through a fixed sequence of events and being done.

Yeah. Last time they make the official timeline, people were nitpicking and arguing hard, and there is the fallen timeline that didn’t make sense conceptually.

It’s why they keeping quiet this time and want to leave room for change.

Same. I'm pretty shocked that they didn't do...something. Seems like easy money.

It's probably as simple a practical reason as they/the company don't want to delay the next zelda game by a year by having kept the project leads busy coming up with a expansion.

It's one thing to give your premier launch title a leg up to keep it in minds during the first year of a console, it's another to do the same at the cost of not making the next game the main priority, when it's already going to be several years in to the next hardware, and that's being optimistic.

I'd say they never were going for an MCU like interconnectedness but....that timeline is becoming a mess now too ;)

Agreed. Don't know why people are so mad when this has always been how the series has operated.

Agreed. Don't know why people are so mad when this has always been how the series has operated.
Eh, it’s not always how the series worked. Up until Twilight Princess you could draw a pretty solid connection through the games, maybe excepting some of the handheld ones. It’s understandable some folks just want a solid timeline.

BotW and TotK knowing make contradictory references to points across the series. You can get the Goddess Sword in both games, as a quest reward in TotK (versus amiibo in BotW), it’s a real thing in the fiction of TotK and yet makes no sense. That is way more interesting and fun than sticking to an established timeline. There are a ton of little things like that in these games.

Eh, it’s not always how the series worked. Up until Twilight Princess you could draw a pretty solid connection through the games, maybe excepting some of the handheld ones. It’s understandable some folks just want a solid timeline.

BotW and TotK knowing make contradictory references to points across the series. You can get the Goddess Sword in both games, as a quest reward in TotK (versus amiibo in BotW), it’s a real thing in the fiction of TotK and yet makes no sense. That is way more interesting and fun than sticking to an established timeline. There are a ton of little things like that in these games.

Well, Ocarina of Time was originally written as the prequel to A Link to the Past but from the get-go it had differences from what had been established in ALttP, and then both The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess established alternate sequels to Ocarina of Time. A Link to the Past is supposed to be a prequel to the NES games, but it describes Ganondorf as the first person to rediscover the Triforce, so it establishes a version of Zelda who predates the alleged "first Zelda" from Adventure of Link. The Wind Waker was the first game to consciously reference the split timeline, but it also referenced Majora's Mask. Even A Link Between Worlds, the first post-Hyrule Historia game, immediately gave a recounting of it's immediate prequel, A Link to the Past, that had different details than the original game had. If one cares about the minutia of every single thing connecting unambiguously, that has never been how the series worked. Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom are more consciously going for that sense of historical ambiguity, perhaps, but it's always been there. I don't think anything those two games have done has done more to complicate the timeline or setting than the timeline split did. The timeline split is really the aspect that makes placing new games challenging, and without the timeline split there'd be little question of where those games exist.

Shoulda been the boxart
It's my favorite piece of art for this game but the current boxart works better as a contrast to BotW's, clearly showing Link being above Hyrule.

The comments about how convoluted the Zelda timeline is (which it particularly isn't) and misinformation about how the devs never cared / all titles are disconnected legends / Zelda fans are weirdos for trying, are why I just stopped talking about it online altogether. It's annoying.

Particularly I think that TP and WW were the sweetspot on how to keep the timeline loose and still have a lot of room for discussion.
SS imo is the first to ruin things and try to stabilish some ultimate lore that ties everything. BOTW was a mess but still interesting somewhat.

Some people act under a false dichotomy premise, and either the Zelda Team is not sleeping at night to fit the new lore with what has been said in the manual of Zelda Game & Watch, or they don't care about the timeline at all and it was made up for the books.

Obviously both of these propositions are false. What they are saying in this interview is literally what they have done and said since Zelda II. They care about the timeline and consistency, but gameplay comes first.

The Sages' elements are a great example. The Sages of TotK shares the same elements with the Sages from OoT, except for Forest / Wind and Shadow / Lighting. Obviously, this is not a coincidence. At the same time, they needed a Lighting and a Wind elements for gameplay, and they were not going to change the game design to fit the lore of 25 year old game. And thus we have this relatively minor inconsistency.

From 1986 to 2002 (Wind Waker), it was clear how everything was connect, except for the Capcom games.

From 2002 to 2011 (Hyrule Historia), it was clear how the "modern" 3D/DS games were connected and the classic 2D games were connected, but it was not clear how the two "arcs" fit together. Plus, the Capcom games. In interviews, Aonuma reiterated multiple times that they had a master documents, but they weren't sharing it. It is believed to Four Swords Adventures was meant to connect everything, but the story got simplified at the eleventh hour and that plan failed.

With Historia, that master document was released. Everything was as expected and theorized, except for the Downfall Timeline. It was a huge letdown for everyone, but in hinsight, it was clearly a "plan B" to reconcile the 2D games with everything else after their "plan A" (FSA) failed.

With the release of BotW and TotK, we are back to the 2002-2011 status quo. Even though some people act like BotW was a hard retcon (it wasn't, SS and OoT are referenced as actual, historical events. They are part of lore of BotW world), the developers said multiple times they still care about the timeline. Instead of saying "We have a master document" though, they are saying something among the lines "We have our idea, but maybe you have yours, and ours might change in the future too". They are more vague, likely due to the whole FSA/DT debacle.

Agreed, although I remain convinced that they will unveil content and gameplay enhancements alongside the inevitable "Switch 2 4K" version reveals. So even if not the full Zelda-centered quest DLC I had hoped for, it should be something besides "Look its 4K now!!"

That artwork is so damn good, can’t stop looking at it.

Getting kinda sad actually because they probably made it for GOTY win 😭

Thinking about Thursday night’s result correlating with the GI interview.

I’m not surprised BG3 took it over TOTK. TOTK is my personal GOTY but it is largely built on similar framework, and I think I’m far enough removed at this point to say that building vehicles with ultrahand is still not my favorite thing in the world, despite the technical marvel it is. The actual bones of the TOTK adventure are truly phenomenal. And Nintendo has truly reached the full potential of that particular Hyrule. But it was, at the end of the day, maybe too familiar for some. I would imagine even Alan Wake 2 was maybe considered more than TOTK.

All in all, I’m more excited for the next Zelda than I’ve ever been excited for any future Zelda in my lifetime. and while I understand COVID was a massive factor, I wonder if TOTK taking as long as it did while reusing BOTW’s world maybe burnt out some of the development staff on that world. Not to assume that they regretted a direct sequel but I just wonder what they might’ve second-guessed in the process.

In this age of Nintendo games getting some kind of content updates, DLC, whatever; the fact that TOTK is getting dropped as a one-and-done how it is, while I appreciate it being complete, is odd. I think when they say they've “exhausted all gameplay opportunities within that world of Hyrule” I really feel like they mean “we’re exhausted and we want to move on.”

I wonder if TOTK taking as long as it did while reusing BOTW’s world maybe burnt out some of the development staff on that world. Not to assume that they regretted a direct sequel but I just wonder what they might’ve second-guessed in the process.

That would be a very interesting question. I would not think that they are too much burnt out on the world itself but while being very proud of Ultrahand for sure, I am curious if they have also more complex feelings about it in hindsight.
Must have been a nightmare to implement and playtest this and I would guess that this decision added a significant amount of development time.
It is interesting they already denied that Ultrahand might ever come back...

That would be a very interesting question. I would not think that they are too much burnt out on the world itself but while being very proud of Ultrahand for sure, I am curious if they have also more complex feelings about it in hindsight.
Must have been a nightmare to implement and playtest this and I would guess that this decision added a significant amount of development time.
It is interesting they already denied that Ultrahand might ever come back...
Right. Like outright denying that ultrahand is coming back just feels like "oh. huh okay". though i'm actually happy to hear it! it'll always give TOTK it's own identity (and building is less likely to be a part of the next Zelda lol).

To be fair, they did say they weren't going to use it the exact same way. They might still implement elements of Tears of the Kingdom's mechanics, the Zonai Devices are super versatile even if the level of building isn't as pronounced in future titles.

To be fair, they did say they weren't going to use it the exact same way. They might still implement elements of Tears of the Kingdom's mechanics, the Zonai Devices are super versatile even if the level of building isn't as pronounced in future titles.
Zonai devices, well, the idea behind them as essentially “consumable dungeon items” has a TON of potential going forward. They can curate and theme puzzle spaces and dungeons more by simply placing those devices there (or a dispenser that dispenses the appropriate devices), without having to restrain themselves to a permanent dungeon item

Zonai devices, well, the idea behind them as essentially “consumable dungeon items” has a TON of potential going forward. They can curate and theme puzzle spaces and dungeons more by simply placing those devices there (or a dispenser that dispenses the appropriate devices), without having to restrain themselves to a permanent dungeon item

Yeah, I know one of the controversial things about the new games is the fact that so many of Link's abilities are tied to consumables like breakable weapons and stuff, but I actually think it works really well with the open-air design. I could see them changing aspects of it in the future, because even the weapons between BotW and TotK operated fairly differently, but it's got a lot of good aspects.

This is a great point, and a great way to improve the dungeons if they’re going to stick with the open-air style for them.

I mean, the dev team behind TOK are the same ones that did BOTW, so they've been working on this engine for well over a decade, plus its complications with the physics engine each game had. At some moments they would be tired, and no wonder they don't want to reuse Ultra Hand again.

I presume Ultra Hand will be replaced by a more in depth weapons craft system.

Which, by the way, if the next Zelda game is to be influenced by the fact we're getting a movie, then maybe it'll be more story heavy, so resources used on a complex physics engine will instead be arranged for story, narrative, scenario, writing, voice acting?

if the next Zelda game is to be influenced by the fact we're getting a movie, then maybe it'll be more story heavy, so resources used on a complex physics engine will instead be arranged for story, narrative, scenario, writing, voice acting?
Jeez, I hope not. That would kill my interest.

That’s a great point. I’m really excited about what new gameplay mechanics the Zelda team is going to dream up.

The free building stuff was great for TotK and its own identity but I won't be sad, if this is reduced in the future.
Using expendable dungeon items though, would be a very good idea in an open world game, yes^^

Personally I hope they also exchange the fuse mechanic with something more stream-lined like "essences".
For example, there is a "fire essence" and you can get it by processing (at a smith or wherever) different items (e.g. spicy peppers) or creatures (e.g. warm darner) that all lead to fire essence. The amount of essence you receive depends on the processed item. Spicy pepper = 1; warm darner = 2; Gleeok flame horn = 20,...
Same for lightning, ice, water, confusion, poison, light, etc.
Chuchus could be creatures of pure essence that can be harvested (=chuchu jelly).

So when you need an ice arrow, you fuse ice essence to an arrow.
This way, they would reduce the item number and thus scrolling through the menus a lot.
Sure, experimentation was fun at the beginning and some cool combinations might fall through the cracks, but I found it rather cumbersome after a while and I only sticked to my most used items.

I'm surprised the idea of ultrahand returning as-is was ever considered a possibility. Seemed obvious from Aounuma's gameplay demo that combining items would be Tears of the Kingdom's gimmick specifically.

But Ultrahand isn't just tied to that. It enables you to manipulate every item in the environment in every possible way, without getting bogged down with animations. That's been a problem that's been waiting to be solved for literal decades. Obviously it's not something that Red Dead Redemptions of the world can use, but Zelda? Where you have to constantly interact with the world around you in a simple Nintendo-esque way?
Like, think about all the dreaded block pushing puzzles and how Ultrahand reduces the execution time to almost zero while preserving the "figuring it out" time.

I'm interested to see where they go. Tears of the Kingdom feels like a game totally unconcerned about the future. There's nothing left in reserve. The combination theme extends to the core powers, which work together to extend their individual utility. As cumbersome as the UX is, the concept is incredibly elegant. It's resulted in me thinking about, say Ocarina of Time and shaking my head that I couldn't use the iron boots in conjunction with the hookshot to topple objects. To say nothing of the totally disconnected abilities of Breath of the Wild.
And now they have to come up with something even better. In a world that is more interesting despite inevitably having significantly less to do in it. They really painted themselves into a corner, and yet there's no doubt that if anybody can find their way out, it's this team.

Yeah, that's why I don't mind the somewhat cumbersome menu-ing, the fact that everything you pick up can be thrown, dropped, or combined with a weapon or arrow is mind-boggling and makes each thing seem like it's connected to the world in a much more profound way than the games where you pick up stuff around the world and then all you can do is click on them in a menu to craft something.

I don’t think item combination will be gone, but rather evolved into a proper weapons crafting system.

Or, y’know, they’ll outright can it, seeing as how TOTK feels like an evolution of BOTW’s gameplay, so if they’re departing from that era of Zelda, then it wouldn’t surprise me if they canned some elements.

If they didn’t carry over stuff from BOTW, it would be to the surprise of no one if they did the same for the next 3D game

Back
Top Bottom