• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

I’m doing gerudo area right now. I can feel that the end of the game is in sight. I’ve been trying to avoid spoilers but saw this
winged bird
costume on a YouTube thumbnail. Anyone know how I can get it? If the way to get it is a huge spoiler then please don’t tell me but GODDAMN I can’t lie it looked really cool.

The wingsuit? It's not tied to anything story related. There are challenges in the sky that reward pieces of them to you. Be on the lookout for bigger islands or bigger clusters of islands.

110 hours in with three phenomena accomplished, and I've discovered sights and sounds I never dreamed of! It's the singular game I've played largely since its release, with but a single week break that didn't even really last seven days. 😆

I'll simply say that several large secrets were organically shared among friends of mine as we all discovered them within weeks of each other, each finding them in our own ways- just another wonderful experience.

Now I'm taking armor to second class and seeking out every hidden side quest I can find- which is a fucking LOT and I'm here for it. 😁

Just beat Tears of the Kingdom. That was amazing. The last 2 hours of the game were spectacular. The end fight was well done. Great emotional moments.

Ended at 290 hours.

I finished this morning too, what an emotional ending to probably the best game I’ve ever played!

255 hours
76.6% complete
1 main quest, 19 side quests, 1 side adventure left to do.

What a ride! I’ll keep picking at it, but am now officially in a post Tears of the Kingdom world

Last edited:
Welcome to the other side. Time to workshop overcomplicated Zonai machinery!
I’m currently workshopping what to play next…

I want to play Future Redeemed but worried it will be too much open world. Maybe Pikmin 4, or could finish Detective Pikachu I guess

Deep into the 4th playthrough, I am at the point that is probably my favourite part of the entire game.

Mineru stretch! <3

I know this has its fair shair of people not liking it, and I understand why, what with the seized construct battle being weird, Mineru herself being a hassle to control, and the initial first steps of the stretch feeling chore-y.

But I almost can't state with words how much I love it. I actually really enjoyed the first part of it, solving the Indiana Jones-like riddle, and having the clouds above be removed. And oh my god, the Thunderhead Isles are such a tense and atmospheric experience to navigate. The thunderstorms and the music really does it for me, especiaally reaching the Dragonhead Island, and have your curiousity piqued when you come across another "heart door". (And again, the music!)

Construct Factory is probably my favourite Zelda dungeon ever. And while the stretch to the Spirit Temple was a bit of a drag, I LOVED the seized construct fight. Mineru's story bit is also very interesting, especially the cutscene. Rauru going "Remember.. this name." always gives me chills.

Additionally, it's cool that this area makes the abilities more grounded in the world-building, in a way. Like, Ultrahand feels like such a goofy video game-y ability usually, but here, in context, it feels like it's this ancient Zonai power that is being used to make and manage their devices.

It's top-tier moment after top-tier moment as far as I'm concerned. The Zelda team knocked it out of the park here, in terms of delivering puzzles, atmosphere and level design.

Deep into the 4th playthrough, I am at the point that is probably my favourite part of the entire game.
I've been waiting since the E3 2019 trailer to return to Faron and the Zonai Ruins and I wasn't disappointed. Everything tied together nicely here.
And the goddamn music was fantastic during this whole sequence.
I'm also just a sucker for whenever games pull the 'one more thing'.

The more distance I have from this game the more I realize how much I treasure it and how many special moments there are. (Inverse honeymoon period? lmao)

I'm playing Elden Ring now, I adore Souls games, but in terms of the 'open-world' element, I think Zelda has it beaten handily with respect to the level of interaction. And the tone and atmosphere of Zelda is just so pretty. And the main story is much more engaging.

I will admit that Elden Ring eclipses it with respect to certain things like enemy variety, but this isn't something that actively bothered me in Zelda. I'll never say no to 'more variety' and this is a solvable problem in the next game with a larger team. But I understand there's an inherent difficulty to this since every enemy needs to drop a usable part as a part of Zelda's reward system.

I personally love that part as well. Stumbled upon it by accident, and what a happy accident that was.

I will admit that Elden Ring eclipses it with respect to certain things like enemy variety, but this isn't something that actively bothered me in Zelda.
I guess that would be because there are plenty of things to do in Zelda aside from combat. I know I've gone hours in that game without harming a single Bokoblin.

I've been waiting since the E3 2019 trailer to return to Faron and the Zonai Ruins and I wasn't disappointed. Everything tied together nicely here.
And the goddamn music was fantastic during this whole sequence.
I'm also just a sucker for whenever games pull the 'one more thing'.

That aspect of it was also fantastic. I loved every single region section of the game, and finally having a showdown at Hyrule Castle before me left me with a little bit of separation anxiety. I recall doing hours of exploration in the Depths beforehand just to drag the game out as much as possible before facing the "finale".

Then it was over and before it was over, I knew that the game had more up its sleeve, and it freaking had!

The Phantom Ganon fights were super cool, and I wondered with bated breath in regards to what was next. When the mission "Finde the Fifth Sage" appeared, I sort of died a bit inside.

I completed the game!

Got all the sages and the Master Sword but didn’t get the tears/memories

Absolutely loved it. Great finale.

Tears of the Kingdom continues to prevent me from burning through my backlog, I’m having too much fun building automatons and letting them take out enemy camps in the Depths.

My girlfriend has recently finished the four main temples. Can’t wait to see her reaction when she discovers that there’s a fifth. … which might take a while because she also discovered that Link can build a house.

I popped the seal back on this game after putting it down since the release of Pikmin 4 and …. with a break for Mario wonder I can’t wait for this to consume the rest of my year! 3/4 regional phenomenon down.

3/5 major phenomena explored, and I’m having an absolute blast chasing some of the larger side quests on my very lazy path toward Gerudo- most are very fun and very well written.

Couldn’t believe the
giant Mother Goddess statue
was toppled over. 👀

Today I completed the game, except the koroks.
It took me 185 hours and the looking up of a couple side quest locations and well locations.
It is such a great game till the end, 10/10. The next Zelda game can't come soon enough!

Dunno if I wanna finish this. All I have left to do is go through and fight Ganondorf, but while attempting that I realized that I it's been too long for me to remember how to play the game, and also I'm not good at action games to begin with and mostly enjoyed the game for fucking around and exploring. I'd feel guilty for getting this and enjoying it but not actually completing it in any sense, especially since I did basically the same thing with BotW

I'd feel guilty for getting this and enjoying it but not actually completing it in any sense, especially since I did basically the same thing with BotW
Look man, if you enjoyed your time with it, doesn’t matter that you didn’t finish it. We play games to have fun, not check off lists.

I just rolled the credits, after 190h. All shrines, lightroots and side adventures. About 70% side quests and only 100 koroks.

Amazing game, my new all time favourite.

Phew, getting back into this game after putting it on the back burner for a couple months is a weird experience. I’m conflating memories of BoTW with my more recent ones of ToTK lol.

the easiest way to get rupees is to do a specific sidequest that has you enter more than half of every sky archipelago

Random question as I’m catching up on this thread, but is this referencing the ‘Messages from an Ancient Era’ questline? I haven’t turned any of those in lol.

The easiest way to get rupees is even simpler than that- sell the ample gems you’ll find adventuring, and slay Tallus accordingly hahaha
My go-to moneymaking method is by cooking meals and selling them at stores, like some sort of wandering gourmet.

Is it efficient? No but it warms my soul.

Shout out to @Irene @WestEgg @bellydrum for a killer August Fami Discussion Club Podcast episode I'm finally catching up on in sync with catching back up with this wonderful game :)

TBH versus Botw I'm having a harder time with this game's story. It's no doubt better, but since it's still retrofit over the structure Botw provided, it almost feels more frustrating to me? For example, the 4 phenomena resulting in a near identical cutscene about the Sage joining you and lacking the punch of the divine beast laser on ganon, and the already well discussed memories out of order conundrum, which I was unfortunately impacted by soon after launch.

Theory about next mainline Zelda game:
• The next game will have “open-boat” gameplay: you can go anywhere on your boat. Meaning that the next HD Remaster to be released, finally, is WWHD. We got SSHD before TOTK because of how connected both games were. What’s next after land and air/sky? Water.

What if it’s underwater? Link goes and explores a long lost Zora empire
Maybe it’s both? We never got to swim in BOTW, nor TOTK, so maybe it’s time we explored that mechanic. Maybe that’s going to be the focus of the BOTW-TOTK physics engine: underwater dynamics

Theory about next mainline Zelda game:
• The next game will have “open-boat” gameplay: you can go anywhere on your boat. Meaning that the next HD Remaster to be released, finally, is WWHD. We got SSHD before TOTK because of how connected both games were. What’s next after land and air/sky? Water.

I maintain my position that they won't, because the ocean doesn't work as an overworld for the type of game they want to make, because its impossible to guide the player to points of interest on an ocean, which by definition is just a large body of water that looks identical in all directions.

I maintain my position that they won't, because the ocean doesn't work as an overworld for the type of game they want to make, because its impossible to guide the player to points of interest on an ocean, which by definition is just a large body of water that looks identical in all directions.

I disagree. With a high draw distance you can have a lot of different looking points of interests on the horizon in each direction.
I am not sure if need as much distractions on our way as in BotW and especially not as in TotK.
And if diving is involved, you can have a lot of POIs under water as well.

They should nail fast traversal on water though and make it fun. Shield surfing while pulled by seals. Diving and jumping through the water with the Zora gear.
Speedy boats. Flying on a mount in the end game.

Maybe you are right in the end, but I just wish very hard for a map divided into unique islands in the next game.

They could just make it so that the land flooded but only a little bit, so that there's still tons of peaks poking above the water. Then if there's also underwater exploration, shallow flooding means you could make out silhouettes under the surface to draw your attention between landmasses. Not to mention they could do a ton more sky islands, and a lot lower to the ground, to make up for less land.

I don't necessarily think they'll go ocean for the next game, but there are plenty of ways they could do it that would still be engaging. Many of which we surely can't even think of

EDIT: Yooooo imagine if they straight up go the One Piece route and add a geyser current that shoots you to a sky island. Now I want it

You present a good point. I feel like maybe the next game might focus on the underground. It feels like the underground in TOTK was a bit underutilized

You present a good point. I feel like maybe the next game might focus on the underground. It feels like the underground in TOTK was a bit underutilized
I'd love an open world Zelda game with a smaller surface area, and a more in-depth underground to compensate for it.

Let me go spelunking into unique biomes with special enemies, and then have these places connect to the surface in interesting and satisfying ways. Kind of like that one cave in TotK that passes through a mountain.

They could even put the "shrines" of this game into the underground sections as ancient ruins you find. I think that would be an interesting and seamless way to include puzzles in the world.

Both BotW and TotK lack underwater exploration, that could fit in a new game in the same style. Perhaps in a large sea Wind Waker style, or a new country riddled with lakes and ponds. In the beginning of course you can't hold your breath more than a few seconds but with more and more upgrades you get more freedom to explore underwater.

I'd love a Wind Waker 2 with underwater exploration, but perhaps that would end up too similar to Subnautica?

Both BotW and TotK lack underwater exploration, that could fit in a new game in the same style. Perhaps in a large sea Wind Waker style, or a new country riddled with lakes and ponds. In the beginning of course you can't hold your breath more than a few seconds but with more and more upgrades you get more freedom to explore underwater.

I'd love a Wind Waker 2 with underwater exploration, but perhaps that would end up too similar to Subnautica?
I think we would first get a game where overworld is riddled with lakes, ponds, swamps and beaches, before a full open world based on sailing and underwater. Maybe you can have an underwater counterpart to overworld in terms of massive scale

I don't really know where else to put my thoughts but I feel like if I don't share them I'll explode.

I think I finally understood how great BotW is. It only took buying a new PC and playing some games.

I wasn't particularly familiar with open-world games, and people would usually make fun of Ubisoft so I figured it was a localized issue, but playing through Cyberpunk 2077 and some Spider-Man reveals that Nintendo probably took a big risk with BotW that paid off in spades. I'm not exactly sure why (I assume testing revealed some issues), but those games really do treat you like an idiot, marking every single thing on the map to the point where exploration doesn't exist. Trying to go somewhere before the mission? Nada. Finding a weird corner? Lmao what did you think you' find something?

It's incredible that it took Zelda of all things to break this and that the industry at large is still following the checkmark crap that for me sucks all the fun out of exploration. At that point every game can be MGSV where you're just dropped into the sidequest and do it. Why even make something open-world when most of the players won't bother with your finely crafted map because they'll be following a compass?

No wonder BotW's map is burned into my brain - the game actually asked me to explore and find stuff instead of plopping a dot on screen.

Yeah, no, TotK is a 10/10. I'd say it was 9 before, but it transcends into the realm of all-time greats because I guess other devs are too spooked that gamers will miss A Thing.

Jumping back into TOTK and thinking more about what I want from the next Zelda game and had to dump my thoughts somewhere! Didn’t feel like a whole “what do you want from the next Zelda” thread was warranted but here goes.

First and foremost, I want to be able to walk into a main dungeon and complete it without doing a story quest beforehand. Dungeons should be a reward for exploration. One of the first things that I thought open world Zelda would prioritize way back in 2013 when it was announced would be the feeling of stumbling across a giant and dangerous dungeon naturally woven into the landscape. TotK improved on making them seamless and you’re able to return to them, but we’re still not there yet.

Bouncing off of this, I want a highly adaptable and flexible main story. Not something where you make decisions that change the events of the story, but have a number of variations of cutscenes and dialogue depending on the order you do main story events in. It’s a tough ask, but I think it’s necessary if these games are going to continue to be as open as they are

Beat the game after playing since launch. Masterful experience. Ending was chefs kiss

Decided to hop online and see the cool vehicle builds I might’ve missed and was bombarded by a ton of negative critique the game apparently got after everyone beat it. Probably just a vocal minority. Personally I thought the sky islands were dope and that they remixed the overworld to feel fresh enough. I’ll add more of my thoughts later but i’m still buzzing over how incredible the 3rd act was

Beat the game after playing since launch. Masterful experience. Ending was chefs kiss

Decided to hop online and see the cool vehicle builds I might’ve missed and was bombarded by a ton of negative critique the game apparently got after everyone beat it. Probably just a vocal minority. Personally I thought the sky islands were dope and that they remixed the overworld to feel fresh enough. I’ll add more of my thoughts later but i’m still buzzing over how incredible the 3rd act was
I had a bit of initial disappointment at how small the sky was, but when I think back to the sky islands I have nothing but positive things to say about them.

They’re puzzle playgrounds with a bit more curation than the overworld allows, I love what they added to the game and thought they felt pretty fresh.

Especially the low gravity areas, god I hope those come back for the next game. They felt so cool to play and the atmosphere was… perfection.

Can they please release a master mode so I can replay this game with a new focus on doing everything.
I have this problem with these games where I feel rushed the first time to see the major stuff.

Back
Top Bottom