• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

I have to vent.

The first two hours was amazing but is it me or does the level design go to absolute shit in the snowy area of the Great Sky Island?
Getting up to the shrine was a pain as the correct path up wasn't signposted clearly and the path that seems natural just lead to slippery unclimbable cliffs. This would be fine normally, but when I am under time pressure because I don't have any warm clothing it was incredibly annoying.
Ended up using a guide, and I shouldn't have to do that for the starting area.

After that, it took me nearly an hour to get back to the temple of time because there wasn't an intuitive path from the snow shrine back there. At one point I spent half an hour trying to cross a freezing river the opposite direction to what the devs clearly intended, and it was impossible because the combination of the the current, the physics system being too fussy, and the logs not sticking together evenly meant this seemingly simple task was nightmarish.

In the end I just gave up and went the long way around, and now I feel like crap because the game was so amazing and then suddenly it was nothing but frustration.
I would agree as I think I probably went the same way you did. However, I made 3 spicy dishes before going into the cold, each granting cold resistance for 12 minutes and was not even through the first one by the time I hit those cliffs. They also were not very tall so I just cut down some trees and attached the logs together and climbed those. In the end I didn’t even run out of my first set of heat resistance by the time I got to the shrine. I also got clothing immediately after.

And yeah as the poster above said you were supposed to glide down to the temple using the wings.

Getting the drop on enemies with ascend never gets old. The "peaking around" animation too :ROFLMAO:

Underground exploration is spooky so far and seems freakin massive.

I have to vent.

The first two hours was amazing but is it me or does the level design go to absolute shit in the snowy area of the Great Sky Island?
Getting up to the shrine was a pain as the correct path up wasn't signposted clearly and the path that seems natural just lead to slippery unclimbable cliffs. This would be fine normally, but when I am under time pressure because I don't have any warm clothing it was incredibly annoying.

After that, it took me nearly an hour to get back to the temple of time because there wasn't an intuitive path from the snow shrine back there. At one point I spent half an hour trying to cross a freezing river the opposite direction to what the devs clearly intended, and it was impossible because the combination of the the current, the physics system being too fussy, and the logs not sticking together evenly meant this seemingly simple task was nightmarish.

In the end I just gave up and went the long way around, and now I feel like crap because the game was so amazing and then suddenly it was nothing but frustration.
Just got up to that shrine, and it took me a bit as well to realize I had to
go behind the waterfall
, but I don't think it was that hard? there were also plenty of spicy peppers before then (i was able to make 3 more meals at 7 minutes each), so I didn't feel as much time constraint. I did fall into the freezing river a couple times though, haha.
Haven't done the shrine yet so I can't speak on getting back to the temple of time, but I do have to say I already miss the paraglider. I forgot what it was like to not have it

So question on game size. Looks like the entire game is in the cart? Only have a 380 MB (i assume patch file) on my SD card.

Regarding the timeline (very minor spoilers from the memories+intro).

TotK's past happens relatively shortly after the foundation of the Kingdom of Hyrule. Hyrule Historia is very clear that Hyrule was founded after the Era of Chaos, before Minish Cap. Note that the foundation of the Kingdom of Hyrule is a different event than the people of Skyloft colonizing the surface and calling it "Hyrule" (again, that's from Historia), which happens at the end of SS.

This placement also explains why nobody mentions the Triforce or the Master Sword: to end the Era of Chaos (when the Interloper War from TP happened), OoT!Rauru hid them away. They aren't featured in Minish Cap or Minish Cap's backstory (the Hero of Men) either. MC!Link and the Hero of Men resorted to the Picori / Four Sword instead. Thanks to TotK, MC fits better in the timeline. Before, it was sandwiched between SS and OoT (well, there is FS too, but that game barely had a plot), two games that featured the Triforce and the Master Sword prominently. MC felt like a spin-off given a place in the timeline. With TotK, we have another game taking place roughly around the same time (very early days of Hyrule) in which the people of Hyrule are unaware of both of them.

TotK!Rauru and OoT!Rauru are two different characters sharing the same name. Just like OoT!Kaepora Gaebora (who's OoT!Rauru in disguise) and FSA!Kaepora Gaebora (who's just a random talking owl). They are both sages of Light, so perhaps "Rauru" means "Light" in Ancient Hylian? I mean, we had two completely unrelated races named "Zora"; we can have two Sages of Light named "Rauru".

What about Ganondorf? This is what's throwing people off. We are so used to OoT!Ganondorf as the character's first incarnation, it's hard to think that might be false. And TotK shows it's false. TotK!Ganondorf is Ganondorf I, OoT!Ganondorf is Ganondorf II and FSA!Ganondorf is Ganondorf III. This also explains Twinrova's plan, they want to revive the "spirit" of the original 'Dorf. So, wait, does that mean have Ganondorf I's corpse buried deep below Hyrule castle during basically every game in the series? Yes, just like we had the sleeping Zelda during Zelda II (and, to a lesser extent, the wandering spirit of the Hero of Time between MM and TP). AFAIK nobody in-game draws a connection between Ganondorf I and Calamity Ganon. We also know that Calamity Ganon is the result of countless battles between Chosen Hero of a given era and Ganon, who, logically, cannot be Ganondorf I, as he's stuck below the castle. Both Creating a Champion and BotW itself (via the Zora tables) suggest Calamity Ganon is OoT!Ganondorf.

Yeah, Ganondorf I and Ganondorf II's plans are awfully similar but, look, Tingle also behaves the same in every game he appears in. This also means that TotK!Imprisoning War and the post-OoT pre-ALTTP Imprisoning War are two different, similar events sharing the same name. This is nothing incredible if you think about it. Our world had two World Wars, and both of them can be described as "US+UK+France+Russia against Germany; Germany invades Poland and Belgium; US enters late but plays a vital role".

So, tl;dr:
• A game showing what happened shortly after the foundation of Hyrule takes place when the official timeline puts the foundation of Hyrule: before MC, after the Era of Chaos;
• Nobody mentions the Triforce nor the Master Sword because Rauru hid them to end the Era of Chaos;
• The only other game where this happens? Minish Cap, which also takes place in the early days of Hyrule;
• As long as we accept the TotK incarnations of Ganondorf and Rauru as separate characters from their OoT incarnation, there are no plot holes, and everything fits together nicely, giving further context to Twinrova and explaining where Calamity Ganon comes from.

Last edited:
Just did the ultra hand shrine and i gotta say, i’m not digging this feature. hopefully i get used to it or something. but right now it feels fiddly and not great.

I have to vent.

Chop down trees and make a super long pole to climb up - it’s what I did and was pretty easy.

I have to vent.

To be honest I hated the tutorial area compared to BotW's and it somewhat left a bad taste in my mouth for the Sky Islands.

I have to vent.

I had the same issue tbh, the intro area does a good job telegraphing your direction (without it feeling like you're being guided) until you have to figure out how to get to the ice shrine. But it does get a lot better once you get to Hyrule.

Dude wtf is the intended solution for the Kakariko Village shrine? Is this really it?? It feels absolutely insane that they expected you to come up with this, and might just be the best puzzle I've ever experienced in a game before; had me stumped for about an hour and utilised every single ability they gave you to the fullest.

My copy arrived in the mail at 3 and I played until 10. And despite that I barely played on the surface. The game is extremely impressive, but it definitely is overwhelming right now. I literally have no clue what I want to do when I start playing tomorrow, there’s so much to this game.

I also need to add, I loved the opening. That felt like a treat for fans of Zelda lore.

Dude wtf is the intended solution for the Kakariko Village shrine? Is this really it?? It feels absolutely insane that they expected you to come up with this, and might just be the best puzzle I've ever experienced in a game before; had me stumped for about an hour and utilised every single ability they gave you to the fullest.

This is amazing and I almost don't want to tell you how I did it because this is way cooler.

I just made a two long plank with the materials provided, set the stabilize on bottom, laid it flat, got on the other end, shot the stabilizer with an arrow, and flung myself over there.

Hold the R button to rotate items. That was a game changer once I figured it out.
i figured that out immediately, it just doesn’t feel good. rotating items with the d-pad is just clunky. and having to move link to move an item seems to me like it’s gonna lead to falling off a cliff at some point, unless you don’t have to move link in which case ignore this part.

You over complicated the shit out of that lol

Hit the zonai with the l shaped piece so it goes vertical, climb the L shaped grate and glide over. Repeat to get into the area with the ball*. Put the ball in the cup and hit the zonai to launch the ball over the wall. Attach the ball launcher to the l shaped piece, put link in the bucket and shoot with the zonai thing with an arrow which flings link to the goal.

*to get the chest, grab the l shapped grate and zonai and bring them into the locked area with the first ball launcher, just climb to the chest

i figured that out immediately, it just doesn’t feel good. rotating items with the d-pad is just clunky. and having to move link to move an item seems to me like it’s gonna lead to falling off a cliff at some point, unless you don’t have to move link in which case ignore this part.
The trick I've found with ultra hand is to make sure you only rotate objects that are straight on vertical or horizonsl. Trying to rotate things that are diagonal never seems to get the item in the orientation I want.

You over complicated the shit out of that lol

Hit the zonai with the l shaped piece so it goes vertical, climb the L shaped grate and glide over. Repeat to get into the area with the ball*. Put the ball in the cup and hit the zonai to launch the ball over the wall. Attach the ball launcher to the l shaped piece, put link in the bucket and shoot with the zonai thing with an arrow which flings link to the goal.

*to get the chest, grab the l shapped grate and zonai and bring them into the locked area with the first ball launcher, just climb to the chest

Dude I had no idea what those things did I was stuck on this for about an hour LOOOOOL

Ummm... so this is going to be a nested spoiler, because this may be the most wtf moment of the game so far.

Okay, so the Floor Masters are already extremely wtf and frightening, but when I found them in a cave near the Hyrule Ridge Tower, I got up on a ledge and managed to kill them using some bomb arrows. But then...

chucklefucking PHANTOM GANON pops out of them after they die, who proceeds to teleport over and instantly kill me.
What is even this game?

Just did the ultra hand shrine and i gotta say, i’m not digging this feature. hopefully i get used to it or something. but right now it feels fiddly and not great.
I found it really awkward initially too. I got used to it after a few hours but it’s not as immediately intuitive as I normally expect from Nintendo games.

I'm impressed by how brilliantly the game shatters all the "big BotW DLC" talk once you arrive to the surface. I mean, as if the starting area wasn't enough, what you can see in the Hyrule Castle settlement really wowed me. The high NPC density brings such a different feeling than any other town present in Bread, and there's even cues that hint at weapon restoration, a mechanic that wasn't present in the previous game. It was quite the introduction and solidifies the point that this not going to be BotW 2.0, far from it.

That being said, I think the paraglider arrives veeeeery late.

I'm impressed by how brilliantly the game shatters all the "big BotW DLC" talk once you arrive to the surface. I mean, as if the starting area wasn't enough, what you can see in the Hyrule Castle settlement really wowed me. The high NPC density brings such a different feeling than any other town present in Bread, and there's even cues that hint at weapon restoration, a mechanic that wasn't present in the previous game. It was quite the introduction and solidifies the point that this not going to be BotW 2.0, far from it.

The amount of enemies and npcs that can appear at once on screen is a stark reminder that BotW was a WiiU game, TotK is a Switch game.

I was so excited to finally get the paraglider.

Ok, unless I'm really missing something, Link not being able to climb up simple ledges is really annoying.

BOTW had a golf shrine, TotK has a baseball shrine.

Slowly working our way up to the tackle football shrine!

BOTW had a golf shrine, TotK has a baseball shrine.

Slowly working our way up to the tackle football shrine!
If that’s the one with the swinging arm button where you hit the ball up the ramp at a target I STILL haven’t figured out the way to get the bonus chest from hitting the second target .

Game really throws quite a bit at you right away but I think does enough to help get you used to them. It's clunky at first but eventually it all clicks and it becomes second nature.

It's also very easy to underestimate just how much bigger this game is lol. Just take look around atop a sky island and it really sinks in lmao.

I have to vent.

Big relief rn that you said this hah, thankyou; exactly the same thing happened to me including trying to laboriously cross over that river the wrong way with the stupid crooked trees and then just falling into icy watery death, cos there's no other way out of there/back up?? But I haven't even actually done the snow area shrine yet; when I wasn't sure how to get up to the shrine, I think I jumped down into this area ? cos I realised I hadn't been here yet, thought why not go down and explore, but then there's no way back up the way I fell down (because high ice walls), and the only way to go is around to that river that you can't cross and I just dunno how else to get out. Maybe it put me in such a bad mood that I overlooked something simple, I dunno. You said you took the 'long way round' but what is the long way round? I actually quit in annoyance, which I can't believe I would do with a Zelda game and esp this one which I was so hyped for and everyone is loving, BOTW being in my top 3 GOAT. As you say the level design here seems awful and the map is useless because of the multiple levels and windy switchbacks and the inaccessibility issues and then you have the constant time pressure on top. I was already frustrated with feeling like I was constantly trying in vain to wrangle the controls, maybe using joycons vs a pro controller doesn't help? Been feeling so bummed out about it that I haven't played any more yet today, my latest save is me stuck in that snow area about to freeze to death with not enough shit to make more spicy food, and no idea which direction to try trudging this time (because I mean, there doesn't even seem to BE another direction to try). First couple of hours I literally had the thought 'man nintendo are masters at this stuff', now I feel the opposite. Being punished for having apparently explored the 'wrong way' is the last thing I expected from this

Big relief rn that you said this hah, thankyou; exactly the same thing happened to me including trying to laboriously cross over that river the wrong way with the stupid crooked trees and then just falling into icy watery death, cos there's no other way out of there/back up?? But I haven't even actually done the snow area shrine yet; when I wasn't sure how to get up to the shrine, I think I jumped down into this area ? cos I realised I hadn't been here yet, thought why not go down and explore, but then there's no way back up the way I fell down (because high ice walls), and the only way to go is around to that river that you can't cross and I just dunno how else to get out. Maybe it put me in such a bad mood that I overlooked something simple, I dunno. You said you took the 'long way round' but what is the long way round? I actually quit in annoyance, which I can't believe I would do with a Zelda game and esp this one which I was so hyped for and everyone is loving, BOTW being in my top 3 GOAT. As you say the level design here seems awful and the map is useless because of the multiple levels and windy switchbacks and the inaccessibility issues and then you have the constant time pressure on top. I was already frustrated with feeling like I was constantly trying in vain to wrangle the controls, maybe using joycons vs a pro controller doesn't help? Been feeling so bummed out about it that I haven't played any more yet today, my latest save is me stuck in that snow area about to freeze to death with not enough shit to make more spicy food, and no idea which direction to try trudging this time (because I mean, there doesn't even seem to BE another direction to try). First couple of hours I literally had the thought 'man nintendo are masters at this stuff', now I feel the opposite. Being punished for having apparently explored the 'wrong way' is the last thing I expected from this
The way I eventually found was going back up to a point where I could climb to the other side of the river along one of the cliffs and make my way back from there.

Looking online, the two of us are far from the only ones who found the level design here lacking. A lot of people seem to also have found the path to the third shrine then back to the temple annoying and obtuse.

It's weird too, because the rest of the opening area I found to be a masterclass of level design in how it gently guided and taught the player, which make this section stick feel even more out of place.
I'm loving the game overall, but holy moly this one part was frustrating. At least it's over now.

Im pretty disappointed with
the depths
feels way too empty. Not enough variance in what you find. At least so far.

I was stuck here for a long while before finally figuring out the intended solution, which I thought was really fun.

This is on another level. You should work for NASA.

~6 hours in now and the systems have been growing on me a bit

definitely been enjoying it more than BotW so far(although in my case that's not saying all that much)

If that’s the one with the swinging arm button where you hit the ball up the ramp at a target I STILL haven’t figured out the way to get the bonus chest from hitting the second target .
My genius idea was to create an extra long bat and try to hit the ball into the target on the backswing. Theoretically, it should have the right angle to go over the top.

The bat shattered immediately on impact, with part of it flying away so fast it rebounded off of the wall and hit the target entirely by accident. Task failed successfully, I guess.

People "LINK!!! Thank the godess you are okay. We know you need help in your quest, take everything you need"
Me trying to take zonaite
People "HANDS OFF THAT YOU LITTLE THIEF"

Last edited:
This is the ultimate think-outside-the-box videogame. It's all about creative thinking with zero guidance. Basically this is the anti-RDR2.
I understand why some people dislike this new Zelda direction. A lot of people don't want to think for solutions, they just want to play a video game with one intended solution that the developer even spoils for you after a while. Now don't get me wrong, I don't call these people stupid or anything. My cousin is hella smart guy, but he texted me that Totk is hurting his brain in a bad way. I get it.
On the other hand this approach makes Totk the ultimate replayability game. You can play the game a dozen of times will always be different.

Why aren’t you playing Tears of the Kingdom right now is what you should be asking yourself.

Switch Parental Control app ftw

Screenshot-2023-05-13-08-25-30-807-edit-com-nintendo-znma.jpg

So I heard about chasms and I was like "ok, those are probably like small, underground, combat focused arenas with different gimmicks like that minecart duel in trailer #3"

But it's its own ENTIRE MAP. And based of the prehistoric era and it's full of gloom and it's too dark to even properly see anything inside

I'm in love love love

Back
Top Bottom