• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are pretty confident that the Heart limit is considerably higher than BotW, FYI. We've already seen 17 hearts in a single row, so the heart limit is likely somewhere in the 34-40 range.
In that case, maybe you get a full heart or stamina container along with a battery disk for each of the 40 Zonai shrines, whereas you only get tears from malice holes?

If the max is 40, you start with 3, get 4 from bosses, and there's 10 stamina upgrades like in BotW, that means with full stamina you'd have 37 hearts, 3 shy of the max, just like BotW.

Isn’t it Xenoblade 3 DLC next week? So probably give that room to breathe. Week commencing 1st May we will get previews, reviews the day before release.
I think giving the DLC room to breathe was not exactly a priority for Nintendo
In that case, maybe you get a full heart or stamina container along with a battery disk for each of the 40 Zonai shrines, whereas you only get tears from malice holes?

If the max is 40, you start with 3, get 4 from bosses, and there's 10 stamina upgrades like in BotW, that means with full stamina you'd have 37 hearts, 3 shy of the max, just like BotW.
I doubt that's how it works, since there seem to be 4 Zonai Shrines on the tutorial islands and during the gameplay demo, Link had 4 abilities, 4 hearts and no stamina upgrade. So I'm inclined to believe you're still getting 1/4 of a Stamina/Heart upgrade per Shrine

Batteries might be added to that reward pool, or maybe they're linked to some other activity (maybe the battery icon on the tutorial island is linked to that?). Maybe mini-Tears, if they are a thing, are linked to some other activity? Those Tori gates still look kinda suspicious to me, there are some islands that seem to only consist of one of those

We are pretty confident that the Heart limit is considerably higher than BotW, FYI. We've already seen 17 hearts in a single row, so the heart limit is likely somewhere in the 34-40 range.
I’m pretty biased on what I’m about to say with hearts. But with all of the call backs to past Zelda titles in BotW and what looks like may be the case with TotK, “Would it kill you Zelda Team, to just have one of the hearts we obtain be broken up into heart pieces?”
It can be a very mini sized side quest if need be. I just want to see a piece of heart floating somewhere or on an impossible to reach sky island and spend endless hours thinking to myself on “how the hell am I going to reach it.”

Let’s talk Koroks for a bit.
I went back and looked at the explosion from the 2nd trailer and compared to the new footage of the third trailer and they are actually different explosions. Initially I had thought they were the same and the third trailer just gave us an extended look at it, but they are clearly different. I had made a post in the other thread after the 2nd trailer, regarding this because I was confused why people kept posting about it and that they could make out some type of figure in the middle of it, like it was spawning from the blood moon, when it was clearly an explosion, at least to me.
The one in the 2nd trailer takes place on the ground, while the one in the third trailer looks like it takes place in the sky. At the time I made my initial post, I had made a remark that it must be the Great Deku tree exploding because it looks like branches exploding to me rather than tentacles of a Guardian spawning or a Lynel forming or what ever else people were seeing in the middle of it.

exls-2.jpg

So I think it still may be the case that one of the explosions hit the sky barrier while the 2nd one obliterates Korok Forest. We haven't seen any other complete devastation to an area on the surface of Hyrule besides Korok Forest. That could even explain why Typhlo Ruins isn't covered in fog anymore because its proximity to the explosion in Korok Forest blew away all the mist and fog.

In short I think a major rebuilding project will be Korok Forest and we have to help all the Koroks first either find a new home and build one there or re-grow Korok Forest in the same place. I can see us having to find all of them and returning them to one location, and after finding say 10-20 of them the Forest will start to regrow. Similar to how Terry Town played out. Return 10 more and we see more growth again in the Forest.

About the Sheikah Slate + glyph representation.

So Zelda has it in the concept art, and therefore presumably has it during the cave exploration sequence as she is wearing the Champion's outfit. She then falls 'into the past', probably with it on her hip?

But we see that Link has it in the present. Does she send it back to him via the Slate Glyph? Or is the Glyph just some sort of memory about the creation of the Slate technology? (unlikely imo).

I think if we figure out a strong possible reason for the Sheikah Slate glyph, and compare it with the molduga glyph and Baskets-molduga fight, then we might have a better understanding of the glyph mechanic in general.

Is something being passed or traded through the Glyphs, or are they primarily cutscene/story trigger points? Or both?

Last edited:
There are 11 glyphs. The building glyph has 10 tears in its design, the molduga has 20, Ganon has 50, and the Master Sword glyph in the logo has one.

If the Master Sword glyph with 1 tear is the "first" one, that means one glyph for every 5 increments of tears up to 50.

We can actually see a glyph that looks like the Master Sword in the first position near the entrance to the map chamber:
1opt6WsqPzuF.png

We know the glyphs relate to the Master Sword from the logo, Zelda has the Master Sword in the past, the cutscene with Basket blasting molduga is in the past, and one of the glyphs is a molduga. It's all related to some big main quest involving Zelda and the cutscenes from the past.

I think as you collect the required number of the 50 tears for each glyph they either activate when you visit them, or you need to return to the alter on the sky plateau and send the tears to Zelda in the past, who does something with them that then activates the glyph in the present.

Maybe the sealing of Ganondorf in the past is playing out at the same time as Link gaining the strength to beat him in the present? It would be a more interesting take on memories from BotW. They're still story events playing out in the past, but Zelda is actively participating in them, and they affect the present in some way. There could even be short sections where you play as Zelda/Rauru/Basket/some past champion.

This could be what the dragons from the logo represent. Link is gathering tears in the present to send to Zelda to aid her quest in the past which affects Link's quest in the present.

I think these would then be the "tears of the kingdom", with the 7 magatama being something else.

The question then becomes, where do you collect these 50 tears? The obvious answer is the Zonai shrines, but then where do you get those 40 battery disks that fill out the device on Link's hip? Are they the same? They both come in increments of 5, but then how do we account for the difference of 10?

Maybe you get the battery disks from Zonai shrines, and the tears from malice holes? That would be a total of 90 mini-dungeons. But then how do you upgrade your health and stamina? If you get an upgrade for every 5 instead of 4 that would be 18 upgrades. Maybe you just get a piece of heart after every mini-dungeon, and you upgrade stamina some other way?

3 hearts to start + 18 from 90 mini-dungeons + 6 from dungeons bosses = 27, which was the max amount in BotW (if you fully upgraded stamina).
This is interesting!!

I doubt that's how it works, since there seem to be 4 Zonai Shrines on the tutorial islands and during the gameplay demo, Link had 4 abilities, 4 hearts and no stamina upgrade. So I'm inclined to believe you're still getting 1/4 of a Stamina/Heart upgrade per Shrine

Batteries might be added to that reward pool, or maybe they're linked to some other activity (maybe the battery icon on the tutorial island is linked to that?). Maybe mini-Tears, if they are a thing, are linked to some other activity? Those Tori gates still look kinda suspicious to me, there are some islands that seem to only consist of one of those
Do we know that there's only 4 shrines on the sky plateau, or have we only been able to confirm 4? If the latter, and if we get battery disks from shrines, there could actually be 5 shrines.

Recall is almost certainly an ability you get at the end of the tutorial, and there's a 4th (and maybe 5th) green arm ability we get from a shrines that hasn't been shown yet.

Exit Points: Fast Travel: Time Warp Points:

So I think overall we are really close to the general story and game play loop. I have had a working theory based on what others are posting and I believe it is the inter connectivity of the Shrines, Green Spiral Stones and Glyphs that are being overlooked as it relates directly to the story of TotK.

In BotW the shrines were set up by the Ancient Sheikah Monks as a way to test the Hero and prepare Link for the battle ahead. While we can't say for certain what their purpose will be in TotK, I think it is a pretty safe bet they will center around Links healing from Malice, his Spiritual quest, which may or may not be related to his vials and energy, and the Tears themselves.

Link is going to have to remove the Malice from his body in order to wield the Master Sword again, so I think the beginning portion of the game will center around the Sky Islands and healing, all the while learning new abilities and getting stronger again. I like what @NabiscoFelt said regarding the Green Spiral Stones because I think it represents pretty well what the majority of people think, and that they will be directly related to entering the Shrines exactly how the Shrines were utilized in BotW.

But there are few problems with this theory and they are backed up by what we see in the Art Book. We have talked extensively in this thread on the Spiritual Nature of the Sky Islands from the Ginkgo Trees, the Tori Gates, Alters etc, so they are going to be a big part of the overall story arc. The only other location we have seen a Tori gate other than the Sky Islands is in this shot from the Art Book, which shows a Tori gate at what I believe is the entrance to the beginning of the shrine. This implies that we will enter the Shrines from the Sky through the Tori Gates and not from the Green Spiral Stones, at the very least for the Spiritual Shrines only from the Sky.
Tori-gate-underwater1.jpg

The next 2 shots are what I believe show the exit point of the this particular Shrine. It is locked just like a normal Shrine in BotW. On the other side we see an alter where we will probably collect a Heart/Stamina or however TotK portrays the version of the Spiritual Orbs or if that is even a thing now.
End-Shrines1.jpg

So if this is the case that we enter the Shrines from the Sky via Tori Gates/Alters then where do we go when we return via the ending Alter in the Shrine. I think we re-emerge close to the Tori gate we entered from via a nearby Green Spiral Stone. So Green Spiral Stones are exit points at least the ones in the Sky. And once we exit through one of them after completing the Shrine, the Green Swirl will go away and it will simply now become a fast travel location that we can access at anytime.
And this is isn't to say this is exactly how they will function, but I'm offering a different solution to a complicated problem presented by what we see in the Art Book and one that ties into the overall narrative of TotK and provides another solution for the ones on the Surface' depending on how ambitious you think this game will be.

The Hyrule surface Green Spiral Stones are much more debatable in their overall function however. The next set of images seem to back up either my claim they are exit points or you could make a case they function the same as the Shrines in the BotW IMO.
shrine-connect-com.jpg

First the Green Spiral is absent which from my previous speculation is what we should see if Link just transported here and is exiting the Green Spiral Stone. From the Circle ceiling motif we can also tell this is most likely a Shrine type location, we just don't have any evidence of where Link started from to get here. But I do think there will be a few different types of shrines other than the Spiritual ones for healing and there could be a reason on why we would need to return to a previous shrine type location, where as in BotW you were pretty much one and done with each Shrine unless you had trouble completing it and then you could always comeback later to it.

One reason you would need a fast travel location to this spot is that in the Art book later on we see this photo. I think we are able to make this energy stone, via Smithing as seen on some of the other Art Book pictures, and it might be more related to the vials or energy swirls.

Mold-green-crystal.jpg

I think the box on the right is the Mold for this energy stone and then we place it in the Alter to either create a Swirl for transporting or it will act as a more substantial energy source powering up what ever we are trying to accomplish in that area.
But overall I think the Surface Green Spiral Stones are all inactive and we won't have anyway to interact with them at first. They could be exit points from nearby underground caves or have a different purpose which I think might be more likely and that is more related to time travel and the Glyphs.

I think our first major objective related to time travel will involve repairing the time alter calendar we see Zelda standing in front of in the past in the last trailer. I also think it is located on the very first island we start from, because it would have to be in a place that all players would see it and know exactly where it is located.
Start-island-com.jpg

I think we will solely be dealing with Muffydorf for the first 1/3 of the game as we gain our strength and help out the locals and Races etc. Once we repair the time machine we will then use it to travel to the past for the first time. And at that point, I think we will be dealing with Re-hydrated Gannondorf. It would be kind of cool if Mummydorf was a pretty easy fight early on and we think the game is basically over, then we get Re-Hydrated coming alive and getting even stronger in the past, that completely destroys the past which then effects the present time so we end up being basically back to square one again. So at this point it really depends on how ambitious you think this game will be, I think we will have a second map for the past. But as I pointed out awhile back it could be much smaller than the current Hyrule, it won't include any Sky islands either and will contain a lot more water on its surface and the water will be completely surrounding Hyrule.

maproom-sm.jpg

Back to the Green Spiral Stones. Once we are in the past for the first time, we can now activate all the Green Spiral Stones on Surface and be able to freely travel back and forth through time at all these locations. They could act as fast travel points as well. This idea occurred to me from @maidhhc with their last post regarding the new Sheikah slate. So I have thought that we will be able to transfer objects back and forth through time because Zelda has the broken Master Sword as well, but in the case of the Sheikah slate it could just be a matter of completing that particular Glyph, Zelda could leave it in spot where we could find it in the future, or she could even hand it to us if we are able to Travel to the past.
It would be strange that if we can actually travel to the past and play through that map that Zleda wouldn't accompany us at some point during that portion. But it could also be that the plan is to have her handle other things once Gannondorf eliminates Basket and Zeldas role could change.

I really like @Selarmor reasoning that the Glyphs will be directly associated with fixing the Master Sword so I think Zelda will play a part in that portion of the game or we will travel to the past and do it ourselves. That's about as far as I have gotten so far so I can partially sleep at night until launch, story wise, Please add or subtract anything from this as you please.

Last edited:
I think it’s possible, and there’s a lot we’re missing, but from a gameplay perspective (active and inactive state) and the art book leaks (shrine entrance, interior, and exit) I think simplest explanation is that they’re shrine replacements. Perhaps after completing them they take you to the past or something, but the time travel power so far seems to be gold (recall). And from a plot perspective it would overcomplicate things.

I think Zelda is in the past and does things. You get to play as her in some hey sections (perhaps after each dungeon or shrine)

Exit Points: Fast Travel: Time Warp Points:

So I think overall we are really close to the general story and game play loop. I have had a working theory based on what others are posting and I believe it is the inter connectivity of the Shrines, Green Spiral Stones and Glyphs that are being overlooked as it relates directly to the story of TotK.

In BotW the shrines were set up by the Ancient Sheikah Monks as a way to test the Hero and prepare Link for the battle ahead. While we can't say for certain what their purpose will be in TotK, I think it is a pretty safe bet they will center around Links healing from Malice, his Spiritual quest, which may or may not be related to his vials and energy, and the Tears themselves.

Link is going to have to remove the Malice from his body in order to wield the Master Sword again, so I think the beginning portion of the game will center around the Sky Islands and healing, all the while learning new abilities and getting stronger again. I like what @NabiscoFelt said regarding the Green Spiral Stones because I think it represents pretty well what the majority of people think, and that they will be directly related to entering the Shrines exactly how the Shrines were utilized in BotW.

But there are few problems with this theory and they are backed up by what we see in the Art Book. We have talked extensively in this thread on the Spiritual Nature of the Sky Islands from the Ginkgo Trees, the Tori Gates, Alters etc, so they are going to be a big part of the overall story arc. The only other location we have seen a Tori gate other than the Sky Islands is in this shot from the Art Book, which shows a Tori gate at what I believe is the entrance to the beginning of the shrine. This implies that we will enter the Shrines from the Sky through the Tori Gates and not from the Green Spiral Stones, at the very least for the Spiritual Shrines only from the Sky.
Tori-gate-underwater1.jpg

The next 2 shots are what I believe show the exit point of the this particular Shrine. It is locked just like a normal Shrine in BotW. On the other side we see an alter where we will probably collect a Heart/Stamina or however TotK portrays the version of the Spiritual Orbs or if that is even a thing now.
End-Shrines1.jpg

So if this is the case that we enter the Shrines from the Sky via Tori Gates/Alters then where do we go when we return via the ending Alter in the Shrine. I think we re-emerge close to the Tori gate we entered from via a nearby Green Spiral Stone. So Green Spiral Stones are exit points at least the ones in the Sky. And once we exit through one of them after completing the Shrine, the Green Swirl will go away and it will simply now become a fast travel location that we can access at anytime.
And this is isn't to say this is exactly how they will function, but I'm offering a different solution to a complicated problem presented by what we see in the Art Book and one that ties into the overall narrative of TotK and provides another solution for the ones on the Surface' depending on how ambitious you think this game will be.

The Hyrule surface Green Spiral Stones are much more debatable in their overall function however. The next set of images seem to back up either my claim they are exit points or you could make a case they function the same as the Shrines in the BotW IMO.
shrine-connect-com.jpg

First the Green Spiral is absent which from my previous speculation is what we should see if Link just transported here and is exiting the Green Spiral Stone. From the Circle ceiling motif we can also tell this is most likely a Shrine type location, we just don't have any evidence of where Link started from to get here. But I do think there will be a few different types of shrines other than the Spiritual ones for healing and there could be a reason on why we would need to return to a previous shrine type location, where as in BotW you were pretty much one and done with each Shrine unless you had trouble completing it and then you could always comeback later to it.

One reason you would need a fast travel location to this spot is that in the Art book later on we see this photo. I think we are able to make this energy stone, via Smithing as seen on some of the other Art Book pictures, and it might be more related to the vials or energy swirls.

Mold-green-crystal.jpg

I think the box on the right is the Mold for this energy stone and then we place it in the Alter to either create a Swirl for transporting or it will act as a more substantial energy source powering up what ever we are trying to accomplish in that area.
But overall I think the Surface Green Spiral Stones are all inactive and we won't have anyway to interact with them at first. They could be exit points from nearby underground caves or have a different purpose which I think might be more likely and that is more related to time travel and the Glyphs.

I think our first major objective related to time travel will involve repairing the time alter calendar we see Zelda standing in front of in the past in the last trailer. I also think it is located on the very first island we start from, because it would have to be in a place that all players would see it and know exactly where it is located.
Start-island-com.jpg

I think we will solely be dealing with Muffydorf for the first 1/3 of the game as we gain our strength and help out the locals and Races etc. Once we repair the time machine we will then use it to travel to the past for the first time. And at that point, I think we will be dealing with Re-hydrated Gannondorf. It would be kind of cool if Mummydorf was a pretty easy fight early on and we think the game is basically over, then we get Re-Hydrated coming alive and getting even stronger in the past, that completely destroys the past which then effects the present time so we end up being basically back to square one again. So at this point it really depends on how ambitious you think this game will be, I think we will have a second map for the past. But as I pointed out awhile back it could be much smaller than the current Hyrule, it won't include any Sky islands either and will contain a lot more water on its surface and the water will be completely surrounding Hyrule.

maproom-sm.jpg

Back to the Green Spiral Stones. Once we are in the past for the first time, we can now activate all the Green Spiral Stones on Surface and be able to freely travel back and forth through time at all these locations. They could act as fast travel points as well. This idea occurred to me from @maidhhc with their last post regarding the new Sheikah slate. So I have thought that we will be able to transfer objects back and forth through time because Zelda has the broken Master Sword as well, but in the case of the Sheikah slate it could just be a matter of completing that particular Glyph, Zelda could leave it in spot where we could find it in the future, or she could even hand it to us if we are able to Travel to the past.
It would be strange that if we can actually travel to the past and play through that map that Zleda wouldn't accompany us at some point during that portion. But it could also be that the plan is to have her handle other things once Gannondorf eliminates Basket and Zeldas role could change.

I really like @Selarmor reasoning that the Glyphs will be directly associated with fixing the Master Sword so I think Zelda will play a part in that portion of the game or we will travel to the past and do it ourselves. That's about as far as I have gotten so far so I can partially sleep at night until launch, story wise, Please add or subtract anything from this as you please.
I want to believe that time travel on the overworld is a thing, but the oversight of the modern-day destroyed plateau wall in the background of the Ganondorf cutscene makes me think there isn't a permanent "past" world that is freely explorable.
cSFDSzU.png

I could see localized timeshift stone shenanigans, but it seems that aside from major landmarks like Hebra and Hyrule castle in the background, the past world is not fully constructed in game.

Last edited:
I want to believe that time travel on the overworld is a thing, but the oversight of the modern-day destroyed plateau wall in the background of the Ganondorf cutscene makes me think there isn't a permanent "past" world that is freely explorable.
cSFDSzU.png

I could see localized timeshift stone shenanigans, but it seems that aside from major landmarks like Hebra and Hyrule castle in the background, the past world is not fully constructed in game.
Yah it is definitely a discrepancy, his whole scene doesn’t make sense either because we know he is on the Great Plateau but what balcony is he standing on, cause it’s not there in the present. I just had to get some thoughts down on paper that gave me a general idea of a general possible game loop before digging into the fine details otherwise it just keeps getting more confusing on what makes sense.
I think with all of our speculations there are bits in pieces that are correct, it’s figuring out which ones are the correct ones first and them sticking them all together in the correct order that’s nearly impossible. Some type of fusion between the past and present also makes sense just from a narrative perspective as well as localized time shifting.

cSFDSzU.png

Could both sides of this shot, the two different arms, be different time periods? Intentionally put together to confuse/provoke theorists?

Are the nazca line glyphs clues that Zelda arranges in the past to display to Link in the present? That would make sense why one of them is the Sheikah slate and they seem like an odd assortment of symbols.

Are the nazca line glyphs clues that Zelda arranges in the past to display to Link in the present? That would make sense why one of them is the Sheikah slate and they seem like an odd assortment of symbols.

I suppose that it has already been said before because its easy to see but the glyphs have the same design as the master sword in the game's logo. So maybe the glyphs are related to the restoration of the sword?

I still can't wrap my head around the link that the pirate cutlass glyph will establish between the past and the present. Maybe that Pirate Ship belonged to an important character from the past and that's how they reached Hyrule? If that was the case, then the ship would be present in BotW, right?

I think so. I think the basic story is once Link reaches the altar on the tutorial island Zelda opens a time portal and tells Link to give her the Master Sword:
totktimeswordp7f68.gif

And then Zelda goes around leaving clues for Link to find her and then does what Zelda does best: seal herself and sleep for thousands of years while the sword heals.

I'm thinking that the Kingdom in "Tears of the Kingdom" might not be Hyrule or the sky or underground. It's on... the moon!
YpEquWB.jpg

Tears and the moon are linked across many cultures and mythologies. In Hindu mythology pearls are teardrops from the moon. In Incan culture Mother Moon cries tears of silver. In Japanese folklore Princess Kaguya cries from her palace on the moon longing to return to the Earth.

The Zelda series is no stranger to the concept of moon's tears, of course: Moon Pearls have appeared in a few games and Majora's Mask featured a moon's tear.
yfKRCrp.jpg

One of the many things magatamas, the curved beads that serve as the inspiration for the "tears" in TotK, are believed to represent is the moon.
MqKElUt.png

Ganondorf's mysterious moon powers seem to be of importance in TotK. In the latest trailers the blood moon has been tweaked to show monsters raining down from the moon like Final Fantasy 8's Lunar Cry (another moon tear reference):

Drawing inspiration from manga/anime, One Piece has an ancient civilization that once lived on the moon but moved to the planet the series takes place on in search of resources. They currently reside on islands that float in the sky. Like the Zonai they are based on mesoamerican cultures like the Aztecs:
T2Tl2m7.png

And like Rauru some of them are goat people:
7fJqGqa.png

Rauru could also be meant to resemble a rabbit as well as a goat, which many cultures associate with the moon. Most know the Eastern Asian moon rabbit, but the Aztec moon god/goddess also had a rabbit form:
HmDOIT1.png

the Blood Moon seen to be the source of Ganondorf power, i imagine the Blood Moon will be the final Dungeon of the game, kinda of a trowback of Majora Mask, where that creepy Moon is the final Dungeon of the game

Well if it's being used as a tag line, I'd say quite a bit

We knew the world would change over the course of the game thanks to various trailer inconsistencies. This implies that said changes are core to the gameplay and may even have a degree of player control.

Which may also mean that there are more drastic changes to the overworld that we simply haven't seen yet due to the trailers taking place before they happen, which is a fun idea (even if I wouldn't personally put much stock in it)
maybe the recall hability could be used for time travel shenigans, oberve that Zelda Tears in the final trailer of the game, have the same icon for the recall hability, you use recall in one of the ruins of Hyrule like the Forgotten Temple and you can temporarily explore that area to obtain a important item

Where the hell is everyone to pick apart the previews and match some blurry thing in the distance to a theory?!

Also looks like the 4 gold 4 green abilities might be out. The rune select wheel shows the 4 we know, some kind of map thing, autobuild for Ultrahand, amiibo, and one not yet unlocked.

Where the hell is everyone to pick apart the previews and match some blurry thing in the distance to a theory?!
I'm guessing Zeltik will have to abstain since he was there and under NDA, but Monster Maze and Nintendo Black Crisis, and others can probably go through his footage with a microscope if they want

Also looks like the 4 gold 4 green abilities might be out. The rune select wheel shows the 4 we know, some kind of map thing, autobuild for Ultrahand, amiibo, and one not yet unlocked.
You also only get 3 Zonai abilities from the sky plateau. Unless he misunderstood, Zeltik said you get Autobuild later.

Autobuild being an ability is weird. You'd think it would just be an inventory thing.

Is it implied that the spots on the radial menu are fixed? Maybe getting a new ability adds a new slot in there?

There could easily be new abilities mapped to holding down a button to switch to a new set of radials. No reason to think that is the case based on what we've seen, but that is how those types of shortcuts tend to work in games.

Fitting in more than 8 directions to that type of menu is usually a shitshow, so secondary page is what is preferred.

so Link has the Sheikah Slate all along . . . interesting

wtf could the Sheikah Slate glyph mean now, some memory about the Sheikah learning from Zonai technology?

I gather the towers can both launch Link into the air (as seen in a video) or Link can attack at cable to his slate to go underground (as strongly implied in the artbook where Link was in the tower on the same transport pad attaching a climbing cable to his slate).

I can't confirm this 100% but feel pretty confident in this. I also believe those green spiral things are indeed shrines going off of those leaked images from earlier today. Seeing how you enter them.

I gather the towers can both launch Link into the air (as seen in a video) or Link can attack at cable to his slate to go underground (as strongly implied in the artbook where Link was in the tower on the same transport pad attaching a climbing cable to his slate).
Maybe the map ability has something to do with this

Watching some of the previews, it seems that I will use the new abilities in the most conventional and boring way possible to solve puzzles and pass through the story.

I just don't think it's going to happen. Not only would having the boss being obscenely difficult would completely ruin the entire point of being able to access it from the first place, but it would feel like a rehash of botw. It worked well in botw, but there are other ways to give the player freedom without letting them skip the entire game.

I really don't think this game is gonna just tell you "yep, you can go to ganondorf anytime you want" and then a cutscene plays where he rehydrates himself and you fight him. Like I said, it worked in botw because calamity ganon is literally just "evil thing", while Ganondorf is an actual character who can't just go from being a mummy underground to being restored with no explanation.

If that was the case, then the trailers have probably shown us everything there is to this version of Ganondorf already. You find the mummy; he rehydrates; you fight him whenever you want. In my opinion, it's a terrible choice to do Ganondorf like that.. He deserves a character arc that progresses throughout the game like his previous appearances, and that can absolutely still be compatible with botws player-driven open world gameplay.
i think the cinematic that show Ganondorf rehydrated is in the past, Hebra Mountain dont have that hole in this cinematic, we problaby gonna see mummydorf for most of the game

The tears are this game's macguffins. There are 7 macguffins. Zelda and Ganondorf each have a macguffin. You get Zelda's at the start, and likely "get" Ganondorf's at the end. That leaves 5, and 4 are clearly associated with the 4 races from BotW. That means 4 or 5 segments where you're accompanied by a hero of each race, beat a boss, and obtain a macguffin. Hence, 4 (or 5) dungeons, plus a final dungeon for Ganondorf.

Some architecture design from an artbook that comes with the game is far less compelling evidence than what this trailer has shown.
how about that mysterious woman, she also have the same Tear Zelda have? 4 Tears for each of the Champions decedents?=4 main Dungeons +final Dungeon?

This is honestly an outrageous strawman of traditional zelda, and this is coming from someone who prefers the botw format. But really, what's wrong with the best of both worlds? You can have dungeons with unique themes, enemies and items and still have them designed with nonlinear gameplay in mind.

What made a lot of traditional dungeons like Arbiter's Ground or Ancient Cistern great wasn't their linear gameplay, but the feeling of diving into an unknown temple with unique enemies and bosses, unique items to find that change how you navigate the dungeon, and secrets around every corner.

And while being able to go straight to the final boss worked well with botw, it severely limited the story that could be told. It really would suck if this game was literally just "Ganondorf's back and you can go fight him right now. Oh? You thought you would need something special to beat him? You thought he would rise to power throughout the game like literally all of his previous appearances? No, the king of evil can be vanquished with nothing but some meat on a stick, right now."

Keep in mind that I don't think the go-straight-to-boss idea is inherently bad, but the reason it worked in botw was because the premise was "you've been asleep for 100 years, now is your time to finally destroy the calamity ganon that zelda has been holding for you this whole time". However, that came at the expense of having substantial story or progression in the present. I don't think TOTK is going to repeat this.

An open world absolutely can be compatible with a more linear story. There is a difference between allowing a player to do things in any order; and just straight up allowing them to skip the entire game.
you cant do a in-depth story with the creative sandbox world of Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom.

What the heck is that thing on the second row? Can’t think of any previous Zelda enemies that look like it
Who the hell knows

It's interesting we haven't seen a single glimpse of it though, considering that, given the variations, it's a standard enemy like Bokoblins/Lizalfos/Moblins

This is honestly an outrageous strawman of traditional zelda, and this is coming from someone who prefers the botw format. But really, what's wrong with the best of both worlds? You can have dungeons with unique themes, enemies and items and still have them designed with nonlinear gameplay in mind.

What made a lot of traditional dungeons like Arbiter's Ground or Ancient Cistern great wasn't their linear gameplay, but the feeling of diving into an unknown temple with unique enemies and bosses, unique items to find that change how you navigate the dungeon, and secrets around every corner.

And while being able to go straight to the final boss worked well with botw, it severely limited the story that could be told. It really would suck if this game was literally just "Ganondorf's back and you can go fight him right now. Oh? You thought you would need something special to beat him? You thought he would rise to power throughout the game like literally all of his previous appearances? No, the king of evil can be vanquished with nothing but some meat on a stick, right now."

Keep in mind that I don't think the go-straight-to-boss idea is inherently bad, but the reason it worked in botw was because the premise was "you've been asleep for 100 years, now is your time to finally destroy the calamity ganon that zelda has been holding for you this whole time". However, that came at the expense of having substantial story or progression in the present. I don't think TOTK is going to repeat this.

An open world absolutely can be compatible with a more linear story. There is a difference between allowing a player to do things in any order; and just straight up allowing them to skip the entire game.
To give you some hope, in the preview footage, you don’t see the temple/castle/dungeon in Gerudo Desert or the whirlpools in the desert either. So even though some kind of Upheaval has happened, it seems Hyrule’s condition will worsen over time.

Fun fact about me. I have a weird fear of like likes since encountering one in OoT that ate my tunic and shield and screwed my progress in many ways.
BURN THEM WITH FIRE! If possible burn the whole freaking temple they are in!

One preview (dont ask me which, i forgot) talked about a "Like Like" ... like ... enemy guarding a door in their preview gameplay.
I forget which publication, but one I read today mentioned their delight at the sprawling underground that got darker the deeper you went, and specifically heralded the return of Like Likes" in the same sentence as the underground.

This Thread Is Now The Official Pre-Release Spoiler Thread
Hey everyone, we had another pre-release spoiler discussion thread pop up today. Staff is considering this thread the official thread for all pre-release spoiler discussion so we’ve renamed the title to reflect that. Copies of the game are floating out in the wild, so if you want to bow out of spoiler discussion until the official full game spoiler thread drops just before launch we encourage you to do so. For everyone else, please use this thread. -xghost777, MondoMega, Josh5890, VolcanicDynamo

Hey everyone, we had another pre-release spoiler discussion thread pop up today. Staff is considering this thread the official thread for all pre-release spoiler discussion so we’ve renamed the title to reflect that. Copies of the game are floating out in the wild, so if you want to bow out of spoiler discussion until the official full game spoiler thread drops just before launch we encourage you to do so. For everyone else, please use this thread. -xghost777, MondoMega, Josh5890, VolcanicDynamo

Hey, a few things need to be explained since there seems to be some disconnect between the reasoning for the thread lock and the fact that folks wanted a thread like the now locked thread, essentially as an place to contain leaks in the event someone starts dumping game details. The thread was created over a week ago because many people wanted a separate space for leaks from the actual game if/when people got it early. If copies are out in the wild, if, (the 4chan images leaves it debatable) then spoilers of the game may be out before that official spoiler discussion thread pops up unless folks plan on releasing that thread this weekend.

People post artbook spoilers in here without spoiler tags, so can we post leaked spoilers of the game itself without spoiler tags too? If the answer is no then it needs to be very explicit, if the answer is yes then this thread will be dead and I don't think the community wants to have to abandon this thread just yet, all because someone might have their hands on the game, but now we kind of have to the moment any more leaks surface (obviously that doesn't apply to people who don't mind what kind of spoilers they see). In the meantime I'd use the rules like the ones I made in the locked thread, for this thread.

I'd go on a bit but it's a Friday night for everyone lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom