• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'll see a dungeon, another glimpse of the Hylia figure, more aerial content and a shot of one of the deeper layers underground.

I hope they make it some kind of sizzle reel with many quick shots that will leave a lot to the imagination.

The glider is a dungeon item in my opinion. Every thing about this room reminds me of the dungeons we see in the artbook- the maze pattern in the middle is also seen on the walls of the gerudo dungeon in the artbook, and there is a small key on the desk.

I believe whoever owns this room is an explorer that has been to some of dungeons that we might find in this game, and he brings back sketches and artifacts to this room to research them.

We see a sketch of the glider in this room- why have a drawing of one of Link's arm abilities?

Also, the glider feels OP to have at the beginning. It would be cool to find it as a dungeon reward.

The glider is a dungeon item in my opinion. Every thing about this room reminds me of the dungeons we see in the artbook- the maze pattern in the middle is also seen on the walls of the gerudo dungeon in the artbook, and there is a small key on the desk.

I believe whoever owns this room is an explorer that has been to some of dungeons that we might find in this game, and he brings back sketches and artifacts to this room to research them.

We see a sketch of the glider in this room- why have a drawing of one of Link's arm abilities?

Also, the glider feels OP to have at the beginning. It would be cool to find it as a dungeon reward.

Yeah, I think things like the Glider are going to be the things equivalent to the Shield/Lightning/Superjump from BotW. They won't be things mandatory for exploring but are generally going to be useful to have. "Dungeon item" usually implies things that are unlocked in dungeons and the dungeons are built around, which I doubt this will be, though.

Will they show him?

latest

I hope they show Rauru if only for the fandom to fully freak out over his name. There's something big there, we're dealing with Ganondorf, specifically, going off of the round ears, OOT Ganondorf, and he's been sealed, presumably by a figure named after a OOT sage, the implications and parallels are already massive, but they become even bigger when you realize that historically speaking:

Ganondorf appearing in a game always = a strong connection to Ocarina of Time.

If we hear a voice refer to Link as the "Hero of Time" tomorrow I'm gonna faint.

I just realized

Stone glider could be a crucial component of the air combat

Imagine you’re fighting a flying enemy. That freefall combat is cool and all… but what if you just fall past enough that you cannot continue the battle? What if stone glider is how you regain altitude to stay on it?

I hope they show Rauru if only for the fandom to fully freak out over his name. There's something big there, we're dealing with Ganondorf, specifically, going off of the round ears, OOT Ganondorf, and he's been sealed, presumably by a figure named after a OOT sage, the implications and parallels are already massive, but they become even bigger when you realize that historically speaking:

Ganondorf appearing in a game always = a strong connection to Ocarina of Time.

If we hear a voice refer to Link as the "Hero of Time" tomorrow I'm gonna faint.
Yeah, a character named Rauru has big implications. It was the thing that got me most excited from the art book. I also feel it’s increasingly likely that we do tie some of the sky islands to the sacred realm because the Rauru from OOT was the light sage and he stayed behind in the temple of light which was supposed to be in the middle of the sacred realm.

Rauru is also credited with building the Temple of Time, so I have a feeling we might have something big happen at that location. Considering how iconic that location is it didn’t have as much going on in BOTW, but I think that will be a location where we find something new in TOTK.

I guess it's never explicitly stated that Rauru's real form is a human. He can take the form of an owl so maybe he has a human form as well in OoT. So it could very well that the Rauru in TotK is the same one from OoT. I think the mural depicts Rauru and Hylia making a pact or agreement. Link and Zelda will be their counterparts in present day.

I guess it's never explicitly stated that Rauru's real form is a human. He can take the form of an owl so maybe he has a human form as well in OoT. So it could very well that the Rauru in TotK is the same one from OoT. I think the mural depicts Rauru and Hylia making a pact or agreement. Link and Zelda will be their counterparts in present day.
I completely agree with you that’s what the mural is showing. I am curious what people who stayed pure from the leaks will think, as so many thought Rauru on the mural was actually Hylia.

I completely agree with you that’s what the mural is showing. I am curious what people who stayed pure from the leaks will think, as so many thought Rauru on the mural was actually Hylia.

Yeah, I never understood the reasoning behind that.

"I know who the figure in the mural is! It's Hylia!"
"Oh, the human woman one that looks like Zelda?"
"No! The one with the animal head! That's Hylia. Here's my round about logic to explain why".

Yeah, I never understood the reasoning behind that.

"I know who the figure in the mural is! It's Hylia!"
"Oh, the human woman one that looks like Zelda?"
"No! The one with the animal head! That's Hylia. Here's my round about logic to explain why".
Yeah, I never bought that either. If Nintendo physically shows Hylia in a game she will look like Zelda, just a little more extravagant. One of my early theories on Zelda’s hair cut was Nintendo doing that so Hylia and her would look more different — on top of Zelda getting to have a more adventurous look that showed change.

We may not see Hylia in game, maybe we’ll just be told stories or something, but if we did I always just expected her to look like long haired Zelda.

Maybe I’m in the minority but I liked that BotW’s only connections to past games were pretty vague, the most clear it got being Urbosa name dropping Nabooru.

But yeah I’m not sure I want OoT connections being a huge part of the story, I liked the pretty clean break and would rather TotK flesh out its own world and mythos and do interesting things with that (Zonai, their tech, the underground people…)

Maybe I’m in the minority but I liked that BotW’s only connections to past games were pretty vague, the most clear it got being Urbosa name dropping Nabooru.

But yeah I’m not sure I want OoT connections being a huge part of the story, I liked the pretty clean break and would rather TotK flesh out its own world and mythos and do interesting things with that (Zonai, their tech, the underground people…)
BotW feels like a reboot, something I like personally. They even put it separate in the official timeline.

It’s like they can create new lore with enough freedom to not feel compromised with older games. The solution is classy to me: ten thousand years gap between the old and new games.

BOTW had some pretty overt references. There's the Temple of Time, Lon Lon Ranch ruins, the voice in the Master Sword, the giant Goddess Statue. I didn't think BOTW to be more or less connected to past games than say Twilight Princess.

If Rauru in TotK is the same as the one in OOT, I don't think they will directly say it. We might some mention about how he built the Temple of Time or how he helped a hero out in the distant past and it will be up to the player to make that connection.

BOTW had some pretty overt references. There's the Temple of Time, Lon Lon Ranch ruins, the voice in the Master Sword, the giant Goddess Statue. I didn't think BOTW to be more or less connected to past games than say Twilight Princess.

Most of these amount to Easter egg references, including Lon Lon Ranch. When you find its ruins in Breath of the Wild, the implication is that 100 years have passed since its last use; if that's the case, then Lon Lon Ranch would have to have existed for 10,000 years if it is indeed the same ranch seen in OoT.

Which, hey, could be the case. This is just my onion

If Rauru in TotK is the same as the one in OOT, I don't think they will directly say it. We might some mention about how he built the Temple of Time or how he helped a hero out in the distant past and it will be up to the player to make that connection.

Also Dodongo footprints

Most of these amount to Easter egg references, including Lon Lon Ranch. When you find its ruins in Breath of the Wild, the implication is that 100 years have passed since its last use; if that's the case, then Lon Lon Ranch would have to have existed for 10,000 years if it is indeed the same ranch seen in OoT.

Which, hey, could be the case. This is just my onion

Regardless, the point is still the same, I didn't find BOTW to be more or less connected to past games than other Zelda games. Aside from Direct sequels, the only one that is more overtly connected to past games is Wind Waker. Twilight Princess wasn't deeply connected to OoT or Wind Waker. Skyward Sword is connected to other Zelda games primarily because of the Master Sword but aside from that, there wasn't much connection to other games.

Regardless, the point is still the same, I didn't find BOTW to be more or less connected to past games than other Zelda games. Aside from Direct sequels, the only one that is more overtly connected to past games is Wind Waker. Twilight Princess wasn't deeply connected to OoT or Wind Waker. Skyward Sword is connected to other Zelda games primarily because of the Master Sword but aside from that, there wasn't much connection to other games.
To me it all comes down to the timeline. Nintendo made every Zelda before SS adhere to a certain timeline. Which was cool!

But I like that BotW subverted that and alluded to all branches of the timeline making it impossible to place with certainty, added to a “mythical” quality of it

Even as a guy who overall likes the timeline(s), I think what they did is a nice way of having their cake and eating it too.

It can be suggested that Skyward Sword and OoT are the two most important games to BOTW/TOTK's backstory. Between those two, you have basically what constitutes as "Act 1" and "Act 2", with "Act 3" being 10,000 years before BOTW's story kicks off, "Act 4" being BOTW itself and "Act 5" being TOTK. References to the tune of Fi's melody being heard while Zelda is "speaking" to the Master Sword, and Lon Lon Ranch are just nice touches that are there for those who played through those adventures and it does a lot to suggest that this is still the "same Hyrule", just possibly hundreds of thousands of years later.

And you still get the mystique because we still don't know a lot about which, if any branch of the timeline it's on.

Oh, yeah. If we're talking overt connections, like Wind Waker style, Breath of the Wild is pretty tenuously connected if at all. But in terms of references, familiar sights, and general vibes, it feels like it's got the DNA of several major Zelda titles.

To me it all comes down to the timeline. Nintendo made every Zelda before SS adhere to a certain timeline. Which was cool!

But I like that BotW subverted that and alluded to all branches of the timeline making it impossible to place with certainty, added to a “mythical” quality of it

No they didn't. The timeline we know today was only established around when Skyward Sword was released. Nintendo used to only roughly give ideas of when each game took place. Before Zelda I and II for A Link to the Past. A few hundred years after OoT for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. The first game in the timeline for Skyward Sword. They did so that the new game didn't have to strictly adhere to the fiction or lore of a previous game. The games were set far enough apart so they could wipe the slate mostly clean for the story which some hints here and there for fans of the series.

That's not different than what they did for Breath of the Wild did. BOTW is set some undefined time away from all the previous games so they don't have to strictly adhere to previous Zelda lore and stories. That's what they have been doing with the series since A Link to the Past.

BOTW is really unique in how it handles it's references.

Some are concrete and nearly undisputable, like The Spring of Courage obviously being Skyview Spring from Skyward Sword, due to its placement relative to Lake Floria, the Faron Region and the Temple of Time, which reconfirms Hyrule Historias statement that the Temple of Time was built over the Sealed Temple.

Others are more vague, the giant Hylia statue could be the one from Skyward Sword for example but there's not enough evidence to say that it is.

Even others are there for fun and not meant to be taken as literal, like the Ranch Ruins, which remind the player of OOT, but likely are not meant to be the same area from OOT.

Then finally you have items and clothing directly lifted from past games.

Only the first type is similar to what past Zelda games did. Something like Twilight Princess deliberately went out of its way to include a character like the Hero's Shade, the Link from OOT and Majora's Mask, as a restless spirit in need of being calmed who's entire sidequest is kicked off with the Song of Healing, a song from Majora's Mask about and intended for healing restless spirits. The smaller more obscure references to past games and the timeline as a whole go even further in TP tho, as for example the forest temple is littered with Kokiri symbolism but the Kokiri proper don't show up, and they obviously wouldn't because there's no Great Deku tree in the Child Timeline. Their fate is left to us the player to wonder about, but that slight tinged of worldbuilding based on the timeline is how Zelda games largely referenced each other prior to BOTW, outside of the obvious stuff like the WW intro or the paintings in ALBW. To expound on TP for a second further tho, my favorite bit of worldbuilding in that game is a line from Darbus, the Goron Patriarch, he mentions that the old Kakariko was abandoned during the "Prolonged Wars" which is not something ever mentioned anywhere else but it's presumably exactly what happened in the Child Timeline, as OOT takes place 10 years after the end of the Hyrule Unification War, and when Link returns from the future and warns Zelda of Ganondorf plans, Ganondorf presumably attempted to launch a attack on Hyrule which broke out into a war with the Kingdom, as we see mentioned by the Sages in Twilight Princess. Thus, from the perspective of someone like Darbus, someone living in the era of Twilight Princess, the Unification War and the war launched by Ganondorf would be a series of "prolonged wars."

No they didn't. The timeline we know today was only established around when Skyward Sword was released. Nintendo used to only roughly give ideas of when each game took place. Before Zelda I and II for A Link to the Past. A few hundred years after OoT for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. The first game in the timeline for Skyward Sword. They did so that the new game didn't have to strictly adhere to the fiction or lore of a previous game. The games were set far enough apart so they could wipe the slate mostly clean for the story which some hints here and there for fans of the series.

That's not different than what they did for Breath of the Wild did. BOTW is set some undefined time away from all the previous games so they don't have to strictly adhere to previous Zelda lore and stories. That's what they have been doing with the series since A Link to the Past.
That’s what I meant, they forced them into a timeline when SS released

A comment before the final trailer tomorrow:

From the February trailer direct we can see what I believe it is the blood moon cutscene and malice is thrown away from the same direction of the castle, and considering this is maybe a frecuent played scene, Hyrule Castle seems to be the last area of the game again, and maybe Ganondorf is the source. I wonder, if this is true, why did they cut that part. Rehydrate Ganondorf? True Ganondorf form? 👀

In BotW, Ganon does not throw malice in the cutscene, and enemies respawn from the air, btw. So this is something new.

Oh, and that cut of the bosskoblin with blue bokoblins with a sky that looks like the blood moon does not give me the same vibe as the other cuts from the blood moon scene.🤔

=================
Edit: another thing that I wanted to mention, is that I finally accepted/realize that this game went from a playground measure in km2 to be one in km3 (in a very oversimplified and silly way to say). Now we’ll have a big cube to explore with the different altitudes of the sky islands. I wonder, what’s gonna be there on the heights, let’s say, the highest island.

Last edited:
In BotW, Ganon does not throw malice in the cutscene, and enemies respawn from the air, btw. So this is something new.

Malice is thrown showing the fall of Hyrule, but to take over machines rather than to spawn enemies. But this new cutscene is also showing a historic event, going by the different design of the plateau in that scene. I'm expecting it to be before the castle was built.

From the February trailer direct we can see what I believe it is the blood moon cutscene and malice is thrown away from the same direction of the castle, and considering this is maybe a frecuent played scene, Hyrule Castle seems to be the last area of the game again, and maybe Ganondorf is the source. I wonder, if this is true, why did they cut that part. Rehydrate Ganondorf? True Ganondorf form? 👀

Oh, and that cut of the bosskoblin with blue bokoblins with a sky that looks like the blood moon does not give me the same vibe as the other cuts from the blood moon scene.🤔

=================
Edit: another thing that I wanted to mention, is that I finally accepted/realize that this game went from a playground measure in km2 to be one in km3 (in a very oversimplified and silly way to say). Now we’ll have a big cube to explore with the different altitudes of the sky islands. I wonder, what’s gonna be there on the heights, let’s say, the highest island.

And caves prob aswell. But yeah, i dont think its a simple implementation. Im sure that there will be some connections between the ground and the sky. (Puzzles) Where you need todo something on the ground to open something in the air. Or the other way around.
Still wondering how that teardrop from the ground to the sky is connected.

Was that one shot of a town in the last trailer the mushroom people from the art book? They had some mushroom looking structures at the entrance and I think the one person had a mushroom hat?

🤭

Definitely seems like time travel. We see Link in a non-destroyed Hyrule Castle. Zelda is shown holding the Master Sword when it should be broken and with Link. And she's asking Link to find her even though she's seemingly just out in the open world which she's in a place or rather time that Link can't get to.

I guess Rauru and Zelda are together wherever they are and Link and Basket Lady are together. I wonder if Rauru and Basket Lady had a Zelda and Link dynamic. Like when everyone first saw the mural it was “that’s Zelda and someone” and then when we saw the Basket Lady everyone was like oh that’s her, and it probably was her in the mural, but in game it’ll be Zelda and Rauru doing stuff?

Incoming playable Zelda cope, so clearly she falls down the hole and then has to explore down there and then finds Rauru and then also goes to the past or something. Or maybe after each dungeon we have to get the tears to her somehow so we use the cable in the art book to connect to her in the deep underground or something.

But also she falls down the hole in her one outfit and we only see her in this white outfit in some Zonai(?) architecture throughout the trailer, and then with what is probably one of the tears we will be collecting from dungeons with the Master Sword on some platform. But if the goal of the game is to repair the master sword a lot of that could be end game scenes. Which means something would have to happen in between the beginning and the end and I’m choosing (foolishly) to believe she is playing a more active role.

Honestly the scenery around her reminds me of the art book pages with the maps of Hyrule so maybe she’ll play some part in raising/activating the different dungeons ? and then she and Link and Rauru need to find a way to get her back to Link and the surface? : p

Yeah, looks dorky. Wonder what that's about :)
I hope it has some connection to a real world area (mushroom caves) and not just a weird fashion trend in Hateno.

Maybe it is a fashion trend, but one they picked up from the emergence of the underground and its biomes, like mushroom fans, or its mushroom people from underground getting footing in the surface. That would give it the real world area connection.

looking at it... yeah, it is just a fashin trend.
The biome will be there (obviously), but those people are not an "underground race" or "minish", but just hylians with the new fashin sense that freedome brings with it

Basket girl is the girl in the trailer right? Someone repost it I can’t remember exactly what she looks like

I went back to look at the art book again and I forgot one of them images was Impa standing up right and walking, I wonder if she’ll be a potential companion? I imagine one of the Sheikah will be it’s just a question of who or how many

I went back to look at the art book again and I forgot one of them images was Impa standing up right and walking, I wonder if she’ll be a potential companion? I imagine one of the Sheikah will be it’s just a question of who or how many
You know what, I'm going all in on this prediction

You'll be able to take almost any NPC with you as a companion, as part of another core ability called Summon. Exceptions will be made for Child Soliders and certain story relevant characters. Think Octopath's Guide/Hire/Charm/Feed Dubious Jerky To

Reasoning is that there's a green light thingie surrounding Sidon and Tulin in some of their trailer scenes, that's pretty reminiscent of the Zonai arm magic. And, since this is the ToTK team, if you can do it to something, why not make it doable to everything

A live action TV spot has leaked on Reddit and it contains new footage.

specifically, the two things that stood out to me were an ability that looked like some sort of light magic (edit - it's an arrow combo) and Link fighting Gleeok on the bridge with the Gleeok named as Flame Gleeok, implying the existence of other Gleeoks.

Which would make sense, not only because of BotW's approach to overworld bosses, but because multiple Gleeoks appeared in the original Zelda

A live action TV spot has leaked on Reddit and it contains new footage.

specifically, the two things that stood out to me were an ability that looked like some sort of light magic, and Link fighting Gleeok on the bridge with the Gleeok named as Flame Gleeok, implying the existence of other Gleeoks.

Which would make sense, not only because of BotW's approach to overworld bosses, but because multiple Gleeoks appeared in the original Zelda
Underground clip shows a Z coordinate at -479.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom