• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a question for all of you...

Do we think the artbook covered the majority of what is new in this game? I'm not familiar with these artbooks Nintendo included in collector's edition (ie: Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Bayonetta 3, etc) and I was just wondering you all felt that the book likely covered the majority of new content in this Zelda game or just a very small percentage of the new stuff we are going to see (ie: characters, story stuff, dungeons, towns, locations, abilities, weapons and gear, etc).

So what do you think? Have we seen the bulk of new Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom through the artbook leak or was that artbook not even scratching the surface with the amount of content that will be revealed when we finally play the game next month?

I think it will be somewhere in between. We will have seen more than just scratching the surface.

But there were a lot of things in the trailers that haven't been in the artbook and vice versa. I would guess there are plenty of surprises left.
And some of the shown artworks probably show just a small glimpse of what is to come for a theme/area.

Let's say for example this huge forge is located under death mountain. If that's the case then I am sure there is a big area/dungeon that is thematically identically and we have seen just one room/puzzle.

I also hope for interesting mushroom areas and all we have seen are artworks for some funghi, nothing else.

I am wondering if there are towns that thematically fit to the armor sets we saw in the artbook. Those looked very exotic.

So I think there are hints for a lot of things but we still haven't seen much of it alltogether.

As many have said, the artbook would have leaked anyway before the game is playable for the majority and I think Nintendo knew this and choose the artworks carefully.

I’m going in a sequence that seems logical to me, so starting on page 79, we see a large green aura surrounded by two of the dragon logos we’ve seen- does anyone have any theories? Personally, I’m under the impression it might be a sacred flame Skyward Sword style, but I’m really not sure. If we have the 7 tears to collect from 7 dungeons, maybe there’s 3 more dungeons to reforge the blade? Zelda’s never been one to shy away from having differing rewards for different dungeons, but given the big switch up with BotW, who can be certain.
I think this is actually similar to the stones we see on the ground (the ones with the green swirl above them). The green aura should be light coming from some entrance to the stone (see the drawing on the next page).

Do we think the artbook covered the majority of what is new in this game? I'm not familiar with these artbooks Nintendo included in collector's edition (ie: Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Bayonetta 3, etc) and I was just wondering you all felt that the book likely covered the majority of new content in this Zelda game or just a very small percentage of the new stuff we are going to see (ie: characters, story stuff, dungeons, towns, locations, abilities, weapons and gear, etc).

So what do you think? Have we seen the bulk of new Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom through the artbook leak or was that artbook not even scratching the surface with the amount of content that will be revealed when we finally play the game next month?
Yeah I think we've seen a lot of what's in the game

The bottom left corner of page 182 seems like a match for the exterior of page 2, and I'm fairly confident that's the starting room/area.

At the south of the mini map there's a large island that's bright white (meaning very high, higher than anywhere they showed gameplay of)
It matches the shape of the concept art with three rails 'runway' at the top. Jumping off from this island should give you the same view as the skydiving screenshot they released in Feb.

vfjkwov26rqa1.jpg

map from reddit:

Last edited:
@Dark Cloud couldn’t figure out how to say this in the other thread, but on your Zelda question playable - no I don’t think they’ll show it before release because even if she is, there’s nothing in the art book that suggests it such as art of her in multiple outfits and stuff. So I think it’ll be a pretty big secret if so.

I don’t think we’ve seen a lot of certain elements of the game, such as bosses.

But I do think we’ve seen multiple pics of what could comprise the games dungeons, as well as the most significant new main characters. The art book has also allowed us to speculate on the overall game structure with much more accuracy than we otherwise could’ve I think.

But without tons of context, most of these things will still be surprises imo.

Just a quick thought about the donut like hole in the mountains we see in the last trailer:
uI3jKrY.jpeg

In the artbook page 155, we see Link in a room multiple images (searching arts in arts, the rabbit holes can always go deeper) and I noticed this:
hwrlv0d.jpeg

Look similar, what are your thoughts ?

Just a quick thought about the donut like hole in the mountains we see in the last trailer:
uI3jKrY.jpeg

In the artbook page 155, we see Link in a room multiple images (searching arts in arts, the rabbit holes can always go deeper) and I noticed this:
hwrlv0d.jpeg

It's not just pinned to the wall. It's also depicted on the drafting table in front of Link.

sheikah-lab.jpg

We can also see Sheikah furnishings around the room, such as the lamp from Kakakiro Village found in the left corner, and the pot with the Sheikah eye on the bookshelf.

The Looygi Bros on Youtube pointed out that the latest trailer's shot of Hateno Village actually suggests that Purah's lab has been abandoned, as the chimney, ancient furnace, and lights have been shut off. I think it's possible that this outpost was constructed by or for Purah to study the Zonai artifacts around Hyrule, and more specifically I think that this outpost is in Kakakiro.

Meeting with Purah and Impa is probably the first objective after the tutorial in TotK, as it was in BotW. In the art book, there's a doodle of Link in his Zonai robes receiving a hair tie from Purah to tidy himself up.

meeting-purah.jpg

Additionally, in Aonuma's gameplay demo, we can see that Link starts the game without the Sheikah Slate, and we also know that the Sheikah Slate has been redesigned to feature a more prominent camera lens styled after Purah's glasses (I know her glasses are based on the Sheikah logo, but the red frame here is so similar). Purah and Robbie can probably make their own Sheikah Slates now, without the rune abilities but with the other functionality—the map, camera, and encyclopedia—in tact.

I pulled this from Joeshabadoo over at ResetEra...

So I was just on Reddit and came across this and at first dismissed it as rather pretty and thoughtful nugget of a musical idea that someone wanted to draw attention to, but Shazam yields nothing. The upload date is pre-gameplay demo and honestly the instrumentation and vibe and motifs call to mind the sky island ambience we heard… so it can’t be a response to the demo. Like wtf is this and what is this channel name? Who is Marisa? Basket?

Anyone with a deeper knowledge of modern classical recognize this piece or this style as possibly a lesser-known composer?
I was already hopeful for this game’s sound design, and if this is genuine I’m even more excited. I could hear this playing during a cutscene

Source: Tears of the Kingdom spoiler thread over at ResetEra.

Anyways this is kind of weird. I'm assuming this isn't actually music from the game but it does have a kind of haunting feel to it in which I like. Seems to mostly loop though. Still I thought this Sunday mystery was worth sharing. :)

Regarding that new sheikah slate, I can't stop seeing a Glados core in it:
170px-Wheatley.png
vzU749m.jpeg

With the different views we have of that new sheikah slate, it seems that this frame can move because the angle of those "needles" are displayed in different positions.
Would be fun to have some AI companion in it. If that tablet is really supposed to be used by some playable Zelda, I could totally see that happening.

That's interesting. Some of the motifs and instruments sound eerily similar to the sky island music from the gameplay presentation, but it was uploaded before. Still probably fake though.

Marisa could be a anagram for Saria, we have a character named Rauru so maybe all the OOT sages will pop up somehow. That said I think it's probably just fan made, I've seen a few channels posting fan made music like this before.

Regarding that new sheikah slate, I can't stop seeing a Glados core in it:
170px-Wheatley.png
vzU749m.jpeg

With the different views we have of that new sheikah slate, it seems that this frame can move because the angle of those "needles" are displayed in different positions.
Would be fun to have some AI companion in it. If that tablet is really supposed to be used by some playable Zelda, I could totally see that happening.
Purah could be Link and/or Zelda's work from home companion character. It's weird but I could see Nintendo being inspired to create a concept from having to work from home during all the lockdowns.

The new Sheikah Slate is still a big mystery. Zelda has it in the officially released artwork while Link has it in the art book. Based on that, one would assume that Zelda drops in when falls down in the cave and Link picks it up. But we don't see it in the gameplay demo and it's nowhere to be seen in the officially trailers. Link's mini map might suggest he has it on the gameplay demo but in BOTW, Link was had equipped items on his person during gameplay so the Sheikah Slate was around his waist when not being used. If he does have it, it would be weird to them to drop that details in the sequel. In the same way that the gameplay demo doesn't show how Link switches abilities, they also didn't show any of the menus.

The new Sheikah Slate is still a big mystery. Zelda has it in the officially released artwork while Link has it in the art book. Based on that, one would assume that Zelda drops in when falls down in the cave and Link picks it up. But we don't see it in the gameplay demo and it's nowhere to be seen in the officially trailers. Link's mini map might suggest he has it on the gameplay demo but in BOTW, Link was had equipped items on his person during gameplay so the Sheikah Slate was around his waist when not being used. If he does have it, it would be weird to them to drop that details in the sequel. In the same way that the gameplay demo doesn't show how Link switches abilities, they also didn't show any of the menus.
And to compound all of this, one of the artbook pages shows the new Slate as one of the map glyphs

Definitely some weird stuff going on with it

Marisa could be a anagram for Saria, we have a character named Rauru so maybe all the OOT sages will pop up somehow. That said I think it's probably just fan made, I've seen a few channels posting fan made music like this before.

Purah could be Link and/or Zelda's work from home companion character. It's weird but I could see Nintendo being inspired to create a concept from having to work from home during all the lockdowns.

The design on the new Sheikah slate mirrors Purah's face and glasses. I didn't put it together until the Portal comparison. Purah's going to talk to us through the slate as opposed to the usual companion character.
https://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/images/1/19/BotW_Purah.png

So I never looked at the entire artbook leak, did it have updated designs of any characters other than Purah? Like Riju or Sidon for instance?
The only character designs of characters we already know from BOTW are Zelda, Link, Purah, Zora King, Impa, Paya and a few years older npc kids. Do I forget anyone ?

One thing I'm still wondering about is how the Italian voice actor for Daruk leaked that would be playing Daruk's ancestor, we still have no idea how that fits into this game at all despite all we've seen.

uI3jKrY.jpeg

hwrlv0d.jpeg

It's actually visible in the concept art of that room, find the little triangle of blue sky outdoors, and then look above that.
The man-made platform in the bottom left of the painting can be seen in the top left of the concept too; the painting is a view from that room

I pulled this from Joeshabadoo over at ResetEra...

Source: Tears of the Kingdom spoiler thread over at ResetEra.

Anyways this is kind of weird. I'm assuming this isn't actually music from the game but it does have a kind of haunting feel to it in which I like. Seems to mostly loop though. Still I thought this Sunday mystery was worth sharing. :)
This is confirmed to be from another game.

As you can see at the beggining, a Korok frond is consumed before a white chuchu jelly.

Are we going to be able to mix different materials for different effects? Or once you select a material it is used and lost forever even if it was selected accidentally?

As you can see at the beggining, a Korok frond is consumed before a white chuchu jelly.

Are we going to be able to mix different materials for different effects? Or once you select a material it is used and lost forever even if it was selected accidentally?
Nah, if you look at the menu when the keese eye is selected, you can see the leaf number is back to 2. So it seems it's only seen "as consumed temporary" when selected but will be back to normal if you actually don't use it. But yeah it's kinda weird to have that UI detail. Maybe attachment combos are possible, or at least you can stack the same material several times.

The design on the new Sheikah slate mirrors Purah's face and glasses. I didn't put it together until the Portal comparison. Purah's going to talk to us through the slate as opposed to the usual companion character.
https://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/images/1/19/BotW_Purah.png
Yeah I see what you're saying, the eye on the slate is basically Purah's:

Screenshot-20230403-115041-2.png

Screenshot-20230403-115340-2.png

So the slate is definitely at the very least related to her specifically, obviously, but it would be really cool if she's a companion like character for either Link or Zelda. Also something I've been thinking about is that her glasses are the basis of the Slate camera/eye, so is there a second slate perhaps? Maybe both Link and Zelda have one.

something to keep in mind regarding Purah is that in Breath of the Wild it's already established that she created her own Sheikah Slate. I think it's fair to assume that the new iteration is actually just her own design, not necessarily an upgraded version of the Link's Sheikah Slate from the first game. we see both Link and Zelda with the same Purah-designed Sheikah Slate so I think there's a possibility she created multiple

it's also interesting that she seems to have fully figured out the anti-aging rune by the time we see her in Tears of the Kingdom, so that has implications for a potential new power or utility. I think reasonably, probably not, but it's still an interesting idea

c3GrnPB.png

it's also interesting that she seems to have fully figured out the anti-aging rune by the time we see her in Tears of the Kingdom, so that has implications for a potential new power or utility. I think reasonably, probably not, but it's still an interesting idea
I'm telling you, Recall is simply the anti age rune Purah created :p

Beyond the Sheikah Slate, what happened with the Divine Beast is still a mystery. We don't see them in the distance in any of the footage. We know at least one has stopped working from the ending to BOTW but I don't think this was originally meant to be a major plot point. I think the seen was just meant to show that Link and Zelda were still out adventuring together at the end of the game.

They probably do need to explain where they are in Tears of the Kingdom and detail why they can't be used at the beginning of the game or else one could presume they could just pilot Vah Medoh up to the sky islands. Based on some of the footage and art book material, it seems people aren't against the continued use of Sheikah tech after BOTW so I don't think they buried them in the ground again or dismantled them.

Yeah I see what you're saying, the eye on the slate is basically Purah's:

Screenshot-20230403-115041-2.png

Screenshot-20230403-115340-2.png

So the slate is definitely at the very least related to her specifically, obviously, but it would be really cool if she's a companion like character for either Link or Zelda. Also something I've been thinking about is that her glasses are the basis of the Slate camera/eye, so is there a second slate perhaps? Maybe both Link and Zelda have one.
I went through the art book again and have a few more points to add to the Sheikah slate intrigue:

Page 14. We see Champion Tunic/Ponytail Link with something glowing in a pocket on his belt. This matches the single gold circuit on the back left corner of the new Sheikah slate (see page 69. Note that the handle used to hang the BotW slate from your belt is gone; it needs a pouch).

Page 32. We see Link with the Sheikah slate again, but he doesn't have the BotW ponytail. His long haircut matches Sky/Toga Link, but his outfit doesn't. No idea if this points to both versions of Link having the Sheikah slate or Link's hair being customizable.

Page 105. We see a new Sheikah; she has the same glasses as Purah. I still lean toward Purah as a companion character, but she may have something to do with the new slate too. If Zelda's playable in the underground as some have theorized, maybe she communicates with Zelda?

Nothing really juicy here, but the purposeful hiding of Link having the Shekiah slate interests me.

Nice video from this channel. It highlights some changes spotted on Hyrule, like new small lakes for example.

Nice finds with the small lakes, but I disagree with the conclusion drawn from the uploader. It's more likely that they serve as safe spots to land rather than new areas to explore underwater

So, I’ve done a little bit of snooping and I thiiink I finally put it together? All throughout the artbook we’ve seen mushrooms, mushroom cave paraphernalia, even people dressed like mushrooms- today, I was scanning over the gameplay again and I got to thinking about the small blue dot on the page that everyone pointed out but nobody seemed to be able to solve- I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned before, but I’m almost certain it’s a mushroom cave!

Go to the ascend portion of the gameplay if you have no clue what I’m talking about. It seems to be to the west, the one way Mr. Aonuma seemed to not look.

I know it’s small, but given what all we have on the game so far, little and big things alike (at least for myself) contribute to making the excitement for the game grow!

I just thought the prospect of the mushroom caves and the normal caves being different were interesting, and who knows, could have further implications than that! I’ll continue to be on the hunt for more things, and hopefully we can all decipher the game bit by bit!

Nice finds with the small lakes, but I disagree with the conclusion drawn from the uploader. It's more likely that they serve as safe spots to land rather than new areas to explore underwater
Why would you need a safe spot to land if you had the paraglider? If you're out of stamina, I guess you would need it, but then why have safe spots in specific places? You can run out of stamina anywhere.

I think the lakes are just new lakes. I'm more curious what created them tho. Are they man made or what? As it doesn't seem like more than like maybe 5 to at most 10 years have passes since BOTW.

So I wanted to get some feedback on this weird outfit from the artbook:

Outfit.jpg

This is a strange looking outfit and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. It kind of looks... aquatic? Like maybe not Zora but something else? The boots/feet component looks weird. It almost looks like something you would swim with in my opinion. Even the right color. However the objects next to it are also weird? Something underwater? Something living underground? I'm not sure if this costume is evidence of underwater exporation or maybe something underground mushroom people related instead or something.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this costume and the weird green things next to it which looks like weird monster organs? Do we think this is some sort of aquatic based costume or something else? The headwear I feel suggests it's NOT based on any water related costume but it's the colors on the arm, the orange footwear and gloves kind of suggest it could be. Weird costume none the less. Thoughts?
It’s reminiscent of a treefrog. Note the suckers on the gloves and heel. I’m guessing it’s climbing/stealth gear.

So I wanted to get some feedback on this weird outfit from the artbook:

Outfit.jpg

This is a strange looking outfit and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. It kind of looks... aquatic? Like maybe not Zora but something else? The boots/feet component looks weird. It almost looks like something you would swim with in my opinion. Even the right color. However the objects next to it are also weird? Something underwater? Something living underground? I'm not sure if this costume is evidence of underwater exporation or maybe something underground mushroom people related instead or something.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this costume and the weird green things next to it which looks like weird monster organs? Do we think this is some sort of aquatic based costume or something else? The headwear I feel suggests it's NOT based on any water related costume but it's the colors on the arm, the orange footwear and gloves kind of suggest it could be. Weird costume none the less. Thoughts?
More likely to be for spelunking due to the carabiners (or climbing clips, if you wanna call them that) hanging from his belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom