• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you need a safe spot to land if you had the paraglider? If you're out of stamina, I guess you would need it, but then why have safe spots in specific places? You can run out of stamina anywhere.

There's literally no reason to assume you get the paraglider before returning to Hyrule. Aonuma just demonstrated that it's not necessary.
You could argue that it shouldn't be necessary in BotW too of course, seeing as there's only a scripted death that stops you climbing down, but they didn't have a focus on freefalling in that game.

Last edited:
So I wanted to get some feedback on this weird outfit from the artbook:

Outfit.jpg

This is a strange looking outfit and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. It kind of looks... aquatic? Like maybe not Zora but something else? The boots/feet component looks weird. It almost looks like something you would swim with in my opinion. Even the right color. However the objects next to it are also weird? Something underwater? Something living underground? I'm not sure if this costume is evidence of underwater exporation or maybe something underground mushroom people related instead or something.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this costume and the weird green things next to it which looks like weird monster organs? Do we think this is some sort of aquatic based costume or something else? The headwear I feel suggests it's NOT based on any water related costume but it's the colors on the arm, the orange footwear and gloves kind of suggest it could be. Weird costume none the less. Thoughts?
Like people are saying, it's likely climbing related. I'd even go so far as to say that it's likely a rain climbing outfit

There's a lot of organs in the artbook, kinda wonder if there's more to that than them just wanting to show off cool organ designs. Also, Tears of the Kingdom, a rated T game, will allow you to beat monsters to death with their fellow monsters organs. Doom, eat your heart out

So, I’ve done a little bit of snooping and I thiiink I finally put it together? All throughout the artbook we’ve seen mushrooms, mushroom cave paraphernalia, even people dressed like mushrooms- today, I was scanning over the gameplay again and I got to thinking about the small blue dot on the page that everyone pointed out but nobody seemed to be able to solve- I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned before, but I’m almost certain it’s a mushroom cave!

Go to the ascend portion of the gameplay if you have no clue what I’m talking about. It seems to be to the west, the one way Mr. Aonuma seemed to not look.

I know it’s small, but given what all we have on the game so far, little and big things alike (at least for myself) contribute to making the excitement for the game grow!

I just thought the prospect of the mushroom caves and the normal caves being different were interesting, and who knows, could have further implications than that! I’ll continue to be on the hunt for more things, and hopefully we can all decipher the game bit by bit!
I think the blue dot is a gacha machine, you can see it at 10:34. There's also meant to be a shop near there but I guess it's hidden behind the rock.
Bear in mind that what looks like a cliff on the map by the blue dot is actually a super high island that we haven't had a good look at.
To be honest there's so many overlapping parts to this area that I'm wondering why they didn't go for a 3D map ala Hyrule Castle.

Last edited:
The text above the object says "New large enemy liver"

Also I think if we got underwater armor it would have flippers of some kind, or maybe they'll update the Zora set. The frog armor to me is likely their solution to the criticism over the rain preventing climbing.

Hey hey hey, think I found an island from the artbook in the gameplay demonstration?

U0iQdWZ.png

mvuj0lS.png
Makes me wonder with it always appearing close to the tutorial islands if it'll be one of the first places we visit outside of them.

If it's true we are gathering the 'tears' of the kingdom and bringing them here the player will have to know about it.

Hey hey hey, think I found an island from the artbook in the gameplay demonstration?

U0iQdWZ.png

mvuj0lS.png
I wonder if this temple will have the Zonai world map inside, maybe we go right after finishing the tutorial

There's literally no reason to assume you get the paraglider before returning to Hyrule. Aonuma just demonstrated that it's not necessary.
You could argue that it shouldn't be necessary in BotW too of course, seeing as there's only a scripted death that stops you climbing down, but they didn't have a focus on freefalling in that game.
In the demonstration, Aonuma wouldn’t even be able to get off the recalled rock onto the island without the glider.

He also has the glider at mere four hearts. Putting down extra lakes for the sake of a landing method that is rendered obsolete so early on seems a bit wasteful. Of course it could be staged to be intentionally misleading, like a low-heart, low-stamina run, but I find that a stretch.

Two other notions give me reservations against the idea of glider-less early game where you can only land via bodies of water:

1) If that was the method, I'd think we'd be seeing a lot more water on the surface than we have already.
2) Large bodies of water have that problem where, if the player happens to land in the middle, they will likely not have enough stamina to reach the shore before drowning and resetting before the drop. I can imagine a lot of complaining.

Last edited:
In the demonstration, Aonuma wouldn’t even be able to get off the recalled rock onto the island without the glider.

He also has the glider at mere four hearts. Putting down extra lakes for the sake of a landing method that is rendered obsolete so early on seems a bit wasteful. Of course it could be staged to be intentionally misleading, like a low-heart, low-stamina run, but I find that a stretch.

Two other notions give me reservations against the idea of glider-less early game where you can only land via bodies of water:

1) If that was the method, I'd think we'd be seeing a lot more water on the surface than we have already.
2) Large bodies of water have that problem where, if the player happens to land in the middle, they will likely not have enough stamina to reach the shore before drowning and resetting before the drop. I can imagine a lot of complaining.

I think Aonuma would be able to reach there with the stone glider, which is another option, but we don't know enough about that yet.

Stamina could be an issue, especially if you try to dash to the bank, but there may be ways to alleviate that which we don't know about yet. There's giant lily pads been spotted in the sky islands which might be climbable.

Maybe it's best to think of diving into the water as a practice for diving into pools of malice? Because I can't think what the purpose of those is other than some strange entrance to underground. But I'm expecting the game to force you to dive into a pool of water pretty much as soon as you've put your pants on, as in this picture:
ca80e4d9f7ddc2971daea8d9b9144c42dbdf2245c3546f41b94a740067bd42a0

I think the lakes are just new lakes. I'm more curious what created them tho. Are they man made or what? As it doesn't seem like more than like maybe 5 to at most 10 years have passes since BOTW.
How did the lakes form?

Everyone else is too caught up in underwater exploration to see the big picture. I think the answer's hiding in plain sight, in the cover art:

odufzboignn91.jpg

The islands on the left have giant, cascading waterfalls. That water has to change the terrain below.

Which begs question #2: Why are there waterfalls? What purpose does a waterfalls from the sky to the ground serve? None at all. It's the opposite.

Fc3UpSoXwAcfxlT.jpg

The lakes came from the sky. What if we can recall them and swim to the sky? They wouldn't be there without a purpose.

How did the lakes form?

Everyone else is too caught up in underwater exploration to see the big picture. I think the answer's hiding in plain sight, in the cover art:

odufzboignn91.jpg

The islands on the left have giant, cascading waterfalls. That water has to change the terrain below.

Which begs question #2: Why are there waterfalls? What purpose does a waterfalls from the sky to the ground serve? None at all. It's the opposite.

Fc3UpSoXwAcfxlT.jpg

The lakes came from the sky. What if we can recall them and swim to the sky? They wouldn't be there without a purpose.

The waterfalls just end in the middle of the sky. They don't go all the way down.

@UnrulyUmbreon

It's still a legit question tho, like where did they come from? Did the Hylians dig out the ground to make new lakes? Did the earthquake from Hyrule Castle rising break the ground a bit and the hole got filled? Like what happened? Lakes don't just pop up.

I have no basis to this theory whatsoever, but I feel like these two monster parts will belong to a large aquatic creature. Wonder if anyone else feels this way.

The top one translates to “scale” so I think it’s either the scale of an aquatic enemy or a scale from a new aquatic dragon. It definitely gives off ocean vibes tho and I bet you’ll be able to use it as a shield. For what it’s worth it looks nothing like the scales from the 3 dragons in botw. As for the bottom image, I believe that’s a tooth for what seems like an even bigger kind of Hinox. The tooth is definitely humanoid like a Hinox and also in the art book, there’s an image of a new toenail monster part that looks like a longer/bigger version of a Hinox toenail. Whatever it is, it’s humanoid and massive, more so than a Hinox.

The top one translates to “scale” so I think it’s either the scale of an aquatic enemy or a scale from a new aquatic dragon. It definitely gives off ocean vibes tho and I bet you’ll be able to use it as a shield. For what it’s worth it looks nothing like the scales from the 3 dragons in botw. As for the bottom image, I believe that’s a tooth for what seems like an even bigger kind of Hinox. The tooth is definitely humanoid like a Hinox and also in the art book, there’s an image of a new toenail monster part that looks like a longer/bigger version of a Hinox toenail. Whatever it is, it’s humanoid and massive, more so than a Hinox.
That's entirely possible! I wonder what would be even larger than a Hinox but still humanoid... shivers

I thought that the tooth looked like it belonged on something aquatic because I've seen teeth like that before in the real world (not with my own eyes though!).

I did some googling to jog my memory, and found that a few shark species actually have teeth that look a lot like the ones shown in the artbook.

What's even more interesting, is that this tooth structure is common with sharks in the Caribbean. The beaches in BotW definitely have a tropical feel to them, and I could see a new large shark (maybe a Gyorg?) reside in the sea beside the coastline.

I have no basis to this theory whatsoever, but I feel like these two monster parts will belong to a large aquatic creature. Wonder if anyone else feels this way.

Top one definitely looks like a fish scale. The bottom tooth actually looks like a herbivore molar (mastodon in particular comes to mind) but that doesn’t mean it’s from a herbivore, just that they used it as inspiration.

So it looks like these little guys that look like Vah Rudania will act as a lock to this door. They each have an active and inactive state. I suspect when all are active, the door to what looks like the boss room will open.

Now how will we activate each lock? Well, I think you might do it by banging on 5 gongs throughout the dungeon:

Each of these gongs has the same Vah Rudania symbol at the top. I don't think that's a coincidence, they are probably directly linked to the door.
Maybe there could even be a fuse-able dungeon item we need to hit each of these gongs with?

mvuj0lS.png
We don't have full details on Ascend, but my mind's been going wild with the possibilities. I envision a tower, say 10 levels, with a boss room at the top. Each floor has a staircase with a locked door and a small key hidden on that floor, and somewhere in the tower is the boss key. Classic Zelda dungeon, except it's not. It's broken. You don't need the key; you can phase right through to the next floor. If you know the boss key is on floor 8, you can skip straight to 8. If you know that the boss room is in the east corner, you can phase right into the boss room without any keys. If the sky island we've seen is the Great Plateau equivalent, this tower to the left appears really early into the game; maybe this is our first Ascend trial.

I do wonder if this kind of corruption of classic Zelda was considered during development. If dungeons were excluded from BotW because a typical linear, lock-and-key dungeon was antithetical to the open world, I love the solution of allowing players to play the dungeons straight, while giving them the toolset to completely break it.

Sorry if something like this was already posted, but have we considered that this glyph might be representing this structure?

It's kinda obvious that dungeons are all over this game by now =P . Having caves already turns the entire gameworld into one enormous Hyrule Castle, which was a great dungeon in and of itself, and what's in this art book seals the deal.

Might be the Skyward Sword / Breath of the Wild mashup I've longed for after all! =D Let's set seal!

We don't have full details on Ascend, but my mind's been going wild with the possibilities. I envision a tower, say 10 levels, with a boss room at the top. Each floor has a staircase with a locked door and a small key hidden on that floor, and somewhere in the tower is the boss key. Classic Zelda dungeon, except it's not. It's broken. You don't need the key; you can phase right through to the next floor. If you know the boss key is on floor 8, you can skip straight to 8. If you know that the boss room is in the east corner, you can phase right into the boss room without any keys. If the sky island we've seen is the Great Plateau equivalent, this tower to the left appears really early into the game; maybe this is our first Ascend trial.

I do wonder if this kind of corruption of classic Zelda was considered during development. If dungeons were excluded from BotW because a typical linear, lock-and-key dungeon was antithetical to the open world, I love the solution of allowing players to play the dungeons straight, while giving them the toolset to completely break it.
I'm so ready for this damn game lol

If you haven't played it but like DRPGs, I'm going to recommend Square Enix's Dungeon Encounters here. It is a good map of the basic concept for Ascend (and, potentially, a Descend ability if it is one of the mechanics you get from a dungeon).

header.jpg

Each floor is 100x100, and there are 100 floors, that overlap, resulting in the entire dungeon complex being a 100x100x100 cube.. You get a whole bunch of abilities regarding to navigation. First skip ahead a few squares, then knight moves to skip battles or pass through walls, then Ascend/Descend to jump up or down a floor if it is a valid spot, then moves that let you go up or down until you reach a valid spot-- but if you never encounter a valid spot, your entire party is scattered through the dungeon and you need to re-find them with a secondary party. You eventually get one where you enter the exact coordinates you want to jump to, but, if that isn't a valid square, your party is lost again!

Like Tears of the Kingdom, you are given your exact X/Y/Z coordinates within that 100x100x100 grid, so you can map out tiles in the distance you want to jump to, and then reach there from other layers of the mega dungeon using the various map abilities.

The game was a really nifty fusion of DRPG and open-world game mechanics, and I am looking forward to a potential follow-up. There is definitely to be some type of aspect in Tears of the Kingdom where some islands are too high to really see from the ground, but you can get a better angle from higher up, and then find the corresponding spot on the surface to Ascend up to the sky island. Or from the underworld up to the a peak or island on the surface.

A potential Descend ability would be a nifty way to open up more late game exploration by being able to approach underground areas from new angles.

Hard Drive: Nintendo Ninja's murder man for marketing Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom for them

Fake news headline lol.

The material of this suit kind of reminds me of the rubber armor. Could this be what we use to access the sky islands that have a storm around them?

So any predictions on what from art book we see tomorrow? I'm guessing

-Rauru
-Basket lady
-Adult Purah
-A tease of the those dungeon like areas
-The different/changed Hyrule we see in various pictures
-The wingsuit

I think some of the misc. stuff like NPCs, enemies, outfits, etc. may make some brief appearances in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom