• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, about the gameplay, it seems that it was very early, as early as Link has only 4 hearts and already 4 abilities. This reminds me of the Great Plateau from BotW.

Maybe the abilities will be gained in some forms of shrines, and we’ll get some thing similar to the spirit orbs to be exchanged to more stamina or hearts.

Unless Link begins the game with 4 hearts or we get one from an early boss battle, it seems that the beggining could be similar to BotW but on the sky islands, something that has been speculated time ago.
The bigger Sky Island they showed is 100% this games Great Plateau. They've shown it a lot and it appears to be super important. Plus we can see several Zonai Shrines on it that aren't glowing anymore implying they've been completed so that's probably where Link got each ability. Thus the gameplay is super early like at the start of the game early.

images

This hand looks like the icon from the ultrahand ability from the gameplay, minute 09:21

Btw, clever how they cut the gameplay to avoid showing us how to change the abilities. It was a spoiler in BotW early gameplays to see how many runes there were for the Sheikah Slate.

images

This hand looks like the icon from the ultrahand ability from the gameplay, minute 09:21

Btw, clever how they cut the gameplay to avoid showing us how to change the abilities. It was a spoiler in BotW early gameplays to see how many runes there were for the Sheikah Slate.

It's interesting that it's a spoiler still given that we've seen 4, which is what people were probably expecting from the game given BoTW

I think someone in one of the other threads pointed out that Recall looked different compared to the other abilites (uses kaanji, has golden light flash instead of green). I wonder if there are two sets of abilities with golden (Sacred?) ones and green (Zonai) ones

It's interesting that it's a spoiler still given that we've seen 4, which is what people were probably expecting from the game given BoTW

I think someone in one of the other threads pointed out that Recall looked different compared to the other abilites (uses kaanji, has golden light flash instead of green). I wonder if there are two sets of abilities with golden (Sacred?) ones and green (Zonai) ones
That’s interesting.
The set of four pins from the collectors edition seems refer to abilities, but maybe it is for special Sacred abilities like Recall.

Meanwhile fuse, ultra hand and ascend may be like you said from another type of, some type of abilities releated to traversal or crafting (Zonai).

That’s interesting.
The set of four pins from the collectors edition seems refer to abilities, but maybe it is for special Sacred abilities like Recall.

Meanwhile fuse, ultra hand and ascend may be like you said from another type of, some type of abilities releated to traversal or crafting (Zonai).
Couple more things that could point to this:

• Basket Girl/Rauru situation parallels. Seems like that might play a part in the story so it would be neat to see it also reflected in the gameplay
  • On that note, the scene with potentially-Basket-Girl in the trailer has the same tinge to the background as the screen when using Recall
Man it would be wild if we still haven't caught a single glimpse of potentially 4 entirely new abilities (though realistically that might not be the case and there's a smaller set that just pools from these two categories)

Couple more things that could point to this:

• Basket Girl/Rauru situation parallels. Seems like that might play a part in the story so it would be neat to see it also reflected in the gameplay
  • On that note, the scene with potentially-Basket-Girl in the trailer has the same tinge to the background as the screen when using Recall
Man it would be wild if we still haven't caught a single glimpse of potentially 4 entirely new abilities (though realistically that might not be the case and there's a smaller set that just pools from these two categories)
What if, Rauru and Basket girl are sages that give us the sacred kanji abilities? And then there are two more sages?

Also, we haven’t seen bombs, which were an important rune in BotW. Could it be a sacred ability? A Zonai ability? Do we have to buy them? Are them consumables? Do we have to craft? That prospect is exciting.

Speaking of that golden glow

faa5fadd8c8cc1319d955e9696f4cedc089a2786.gif

untitled-6-1648563128033.jpg

Maybe this is where he gets the Recall ability. Interestingly, he seems to be doing something with the Master Sword or the Master Sword is reacting to something Link is doing. Maybe it's glowing because it senses a familiar power? Maybe a deity that is related to time?

The most exciting thing about all this is how that footage showed absolutely none of the new things from the art book.

They're keeping a massive amount of info close to the vest.
Yeah the artbook still has me hyped the most so far. This game is gonna be big

It's really weird we haven't seen the new Sheikah Slate. Link doesn't seem to have it yet he still has a map and all of the other information related to the Sheikah Slates map.

I'm kinda switching back to assuming Zelda has it. I know the art book shows Link with it, but they could've just put him there as a placeholder.

Also the "Fuse" ability I think answers the weird Zonai architecture on the surface. Whether it's coming from the past or a different realm, it's literally fusing itself into Hyrule.

Imagine the look on the faces of all those calling Tears of the Kingdom "Breath of the Wild DLC" when that final Nintendo trailer drops showing...

1. Opens with Link flying through the sky wearing a wing suit.
2. Shots of Link using all sorts of objects as weapons and vehicles.
3. Swimming underwater in which you can make out a giant ancient temple in the background. Beautiful underwater vistas teaming of life.
4. Link standing in the desert, holding out his hand as he reverse time showing old ruins turn back into a brand new temple as you actually see time reverse (Think Quantum Break).
5. Lots of NPCs as they work on rebuilding towns and showing Link help in to restore Hyrule.
6. A shot of playable Zelda wearing climbing gear slowly propelling down the cliffside of a dark underground cavern as she approach an entrance to some ruins.
7. A shot of Ganondorf and Link battling each other in the midst of a thunderstorm while both are riding on the backs of dragons.
8. A massive pirate ship approaching the mainland while Link looks toward the ocean. Wind Waker vibe.
9. A shot of Link, tiny as can be visiting an area that looks extremely huge. Is this the Minish world?
10. Link visiting a music store to pick up a random instrument he will be able to play.
11. Link visiting a rudimentary barracks/town full of soldiers, citizens and shops. Everything looking as lively as can be considering the circumstances.
12. A massive boss fight on horseback in the middle of Hyrule.
13. Link backflips off of an island, pulls out a bow an arrow, fires at some enemies while slowing down time, jumps on the back of a bird like creature and flies off.
14. More scenes of Link crafting some more elaborate vehicles including siege weaponry in which he uses against that three headed dragon on the bridge.
15. Link chilling on a boat during a sunset with a fishing pole and tackle box.
16. Several huge bosses appear to be moving through the fields of Hyrule, attacking settlements and people.
17. A giant hand grabs Link from above in an underground location. Redeads can be seen in the distace.
18. A shot of the Triforce glowing, surrounded by a bunch of ancient text.
19. Various scenes from the story with many voiceovers. Everything looking grand and epic. A story for the ages!
20. Final shot of Link slowy approaching underground (you see behind him). You hear Zelda call his name, Link slowly turns around, his eyes glowing red and his face is covered in corruption. Screen fades to black. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom logo appears. All while this trailer played with some epic music that slowly got faster and more epic sounding as the trailer went on.

You all ready to eat? ;)

I wonder if what we got today will be the start of a series of videos. It would work, but I also imagine it’d be branded as that from the start if it was

I’d have liked a hypothetical next one to focus on the shrine equivalent. Even if they’re functionally the same as BotW just with Zonai aesthetics, it would be cool to see how some new “rune” puzzles are designed.

Because they are a bit less “puzzle box” suited than BotW’s
  • For ascend, you’d have to have a structure with multiple ceilings (so this is actually suited more to big dungeons than shrines lol)
  • For Fuse and Ultrahand, you’d have to have a ton of weapons and materials available

Recall is really the only one suited for small shrine puzzle boxes now that I think about it, so maybe we are onto something with the golden light of Recall signifying a different ability set than the more materials oriented green ones?
yes, supposedly it's all they could show today, implying that there could be more before launch. While I wouldn't take it as a guarantee, I think that it's still likely we see something on the week of April 10. They still haven't acknowledged the underground, new shrines (which we can see exist in the gameplay) and any semblance of dungeons. I don't think we'll get another gameplay session per se - like, if they wanted to show a shrine that pertains to a particular ability, they could have done so today. It'll just be the final trailer with Aonuma maybe discussing what's new.

We briefly saw the gatcha machine in the sky along with a shop icon, so it may serve as sort of a merchant. Not sure if it’s like a traditional shop or you just get random items.

I think I know how we are using bombs without the Sheikah rune now...

Top pic is the Zonai charge from the sky construct.

The word "charge" is interesting in this context because it could either refer to its electrical properties (do you use them to recharge batteries without having to turn them off?) or charge as in explosive. Maybe there are multiple uses.

I think I know how we are using bombs without the Sheikah rune now...

Top pic is the Zonai charge from the sky construct.

Oh huh was not considering this as a bomb equivalent

Can't wait to put it on a stick and subsequently blow myself up

So, these friendly robots look to be scavenging or cleaning to me. They're digging their hands through the ground and creating a dust cloud effect. You can also talk to them.

totk-robofriend.png

The concept art for these constructs in the art book has a breakdown of its "drawer, "which is designed to give the perception of infinite space. Does this particular type of construct collect items and provide them to Link when spoken to?

robodrawer.jpg

It is safe to say that these green discs link has on its belt represent the battery, isn't it?
By collecting these disks you can increase the duration of how long you can power your constructions, I would guess.

Probably late with this observation but none of these shrine-like swirly stones that we've seen from the footage have any entrances, just like here in the artbook, even though the symbols on the map clearly show a door.

dsvueIq.png

However, there's a another drawing of a structure that shows a door. Could there be two types? Could they

sJul8Be.png

Also, small bonus: One of the Bokoblins on that Talus-base has a funny mask

vMyoFL7.png

Didn't even realize the first time around.

Probably late with this observation but none of these shrine-like swirly stones that we've seen from the footage have any entrances, just like here in the artbook, even though the symbols on the map clearly show a door.

dsvueIq.png

However, there's a another drawing of a structure that shows a door. Could there be two types? Could they

sJul8Be.png

Also, small bonus: One of the Bokoblins on that Talus-base has a funny mask

vMyoFL7.png

Didn't even realize the first time around.
Perhaps you touch the stone and get transported to some sort of spirit realm or silent realm. At the end or beginning of the trial you enter that stone to return back to your body?

I definitely think the spiral stones are the shrines. They're completed once they lose the spiral:

Screenshot-20230329-092530-2.png

Screenshot-20230329-092530-3.png

The entrance we probably phase through or something.

instead of considering Totk is a big DLC for Botw

Considering Botw is Totk's a big pre-release demo
Beta of the Wild
Test of the Kingdom

and then the actual real finished game in 2029!
I definitely think the spiral stones are the shrines. They're completed once they lose the spiral:

Screenshot-20230329-092530-2.png

Screenshot-20230329-092530-3.png

The entrance we probably phase through or something.
The full image should be one possible title screen for Tears of the Kingdom. None of that artwork guff like BotW, Nintendo. Maybe have the title screen location change depending on your last save.

So I went through the art book again to revive my hype a bit.

• page: 151: That library with the Zonai elements looks very interesting. Not sure if that place is going to be a dungeon, I also wanted a Zelda dungeon to be a huge library, especially since DQXI did something similar.
  • page 159: We can see a huge map of Hyrule's surface with some black icons scattered around. Do we think these icons indicate dungeons? I counted at least 8 of those symbols. Also, some of them are located in notable locations, like around the 8th heroine statue and near the Forgotten Temple
  • page 202: I hope that ghost ship is a dungeon. But it looks a bit to small for that
  • also, there are a few NPCs with Zonai-esque clothes. So there should a at least some settlements in the skies (or straight up towns).

Last edited:

It looks like an underground section could be below this path, since the grating would be to let sunlight through.

I forget what the exact wording was in the gameplay, “some restrictions apply” when talking about the ascend ability, but I wonder if you’ll need a solid surface to Ascend through. Like that grate is obviously not solid and we’ve seen that grate elsewhere too I feel like. That would be a good way to limit the ability in cases where they want to

So I went through the art book again to revive my hype a bit.

• page: 151: That library with the Zonai elements looks every interesting. Not sure if that place is going to be a dungeon, I also wanted a Zelda dungeon to be a huge library, especially since DQXI did something similar.
  • page 159: We can see a huge map of Hyrule's surface with some black icons scattered around. Do we think these icons indicate dungeons? I counted at least 8 of those symbols. Also, some of them are located on notable locations, like around the 8th heroine statue and near the Forgotten Temple
  • page 202: I hope that ghost ship is a dungeon. But it looks a bit to small for that
  • also, there are a few NPCs with Zonai-esque clothes. So there should a at least some settlements in the skies (or straight up towns).

Those icons seem to correspond with some of the Glyphs we've seen on the surface from the sky-shots.

Example below for the Lizard looking one:

TLOZ_TearsOfTheKingdom_28032023_scrn_40.jpg

The Ghost Ship location seems to align with the pirate sword/cutlass glyph from the aforementioned map, near Lurelin Village.

Might be that they are dungeons/dungeon equivalents/titans or some combination of those.

Seems like there will be some kind of Mushroom tribe that presumably resides below the surface, while the Zonai tribe resides above the surface.

Also I'm sure this has been mentioned countless times but:

Sheikah = Wisdom = Nayru
Yiga = Power = Din
Zonai = Courage = Farore

dsvueIq.png

sJul8Be.png

My thought was that the green swirls in the first picture kind of resemble the green swirls present during the use of ascend. So like maybe the same principle applies and Link puts his hand against the rock face and can phase through to go to another dimension like someone else had said or maybe ascend further than normally possible to some other location in the sky acting like a shrine, and that’s what the second picture with the door is because that seems to be in an enclosed area vs the ones we’ve seen being out in the open.

I still think the Zonai are somehow a union of two tribes, something the marriage of Basket and Rauru is crucial to understanding

If as we have been speculating that there are themed dungeons, potentially seven. I’m curious on others thoughts if there will be an item that will be obtained and help traverse the dungeon. With Zonai powers seemingly replacing the Sheikah slate in terms of abilities. We still see Link with an updated Sheikah slate in the game. Perhaps each dungeon will have a new Sheikah slate ability that can be accessed. We have also seen various musical instruments. Curious if like the LA and the oracle titles dungeon reward for completion will be a musical instrument. Perhaps obtaining the instruments and playing a certain song will trigger something endgame.

Was the bird suit thing theorized to be a dungeon item?

I forget which specifically but I think someone pointed out similarities between the suit and one of, what people are guessing are, dungeons.

Edit: yeah I just double checked there’s an indoor area with a wing decal on the back wall resembling the suit’s wings with a pedestal in front of it so I think we can assume that’s probably where we get, potentially in a dungeon

Last edited:
I forget which specifically but I think someone pointed out similarities between the suit and one of, what people are guessing are, dungeons.

Edit: yeah I just double checked there’s an indoor area with a wing decal on the back wall resembling the suit’s wings with a pedestal in front of it so I think we can assume that’s probably where we get, potentially in a dungeon
mega based if true

On Page 44 (sorry don't know have the pic upload) it shows several boxes with eyes. They are labeled levels 1 to 3 level 1 having 1 eye, level 2 with 2 eyes, and level 3 with three eyes. Most people have already guessed this but the Construct in the tweet has 3 eyes , meaning it is likely a level 3 version of the Construct. So it seems that for Zonai stuff, the more eyes something has, the powerful it is or the higher the rank.

So I figured I'd post this here since it's more specifically about the art book, but in regards to the discussion over multiple unseen abilities, we still don't really know what's up with the weird bird glider thing from the September trailer. This:

Screenshot-20230329-233510.png

I've still zero idea what this thing even is or what purpose it serves. It doesn't appear to be controllable and it being a permanent thing you can constantly summon feels like it would negate the whole point of crafting vehicles, so yeah. It's purpose aside, and I'm not the first to point this out, someone else did earlier so credit to them, but it has a symbol on it very similar to Ultrahand:

Screenshot-20230329-233233.png

Sooo...Ultrafoot? Ultrafeet? I've no idea what purpose it serves but it seems to be the fourth Zonai ability, which lines up with the three non-Zonai symbols we've seen thanks to the Joycons and pin set, so I guess we get, four abilities from the Rauru Zonai and four from the Basket Zonai. The duality of these two groups of people really seems to be a cornerstone of this games story.

So I figured I'd post this here since it's more specifically about the art book, but in regards to the discussion over multiple unseen abilities, we still don't really know what's up with the weird bird glider thing from the September trailer. This:

Screenshot-20230329-233510.png

I've still zero idea what this thing even is or what purpose it serves. It doesn't appear to be controllable and it being a permanent thing you can constantly summon feels like it would negate the whole point of crafting vehicles, so yeah. It's purpose aside, and I'm not the first to point this out, someone else did earlier so credit to them, but it has a symbol on it very similar to Ultrahand:

Screenshot-20230329-233233.png

Sooo...Ultrafoot? Ultrafeet? I've no idea what purpose it serves but it seems to be the fourth Zonai ability, which lines up with the three non-Zonai symbols we've seen thanks to the Joycons and pin set, so I guess we get, four abilities from the Rauru Zonai and four from the Basket Zonai. The duality of these two groups of people really seems to be a cornerstone of this games story.
I just think the feet symbol is for aesthetic appeal. I don’t even know what a feet ability would look like with the hand. Maybe you could have an ability that lets you walk on walls or ceilings, but then it wouldn’t make sense to have it on the bird. Could be wrong tho.
Edit: Thinking about this some more - maybe the ability is being able to walk on walls or ceilings and the reason the bird has it is so that when tilting upwards to ascend or downwards or to the side, you don’t fall off. Still think it’s a bit unlikely.

Last edited:
The fact that we're potentially looking at 8 different abilities is pretty exciting and might explain why Aonuma didn't show how you switch between them. I do hope that we don't unlock all of them in the first hour, though.

The fact that we're potentially looking at 8 different abilities is pretty exciting and might explain why Aonuma didn't show how you switch between them. I do hope that we don't unlock all of them in the first hour, though.
I doubt it, that's way too overwhelming for a tutorial

I think we'll get the 4 we've seen in the tutorial and the other 3-4 afterwards. Though remains to be seen how they'll integrate them in that case, it would feel kinda bad if you're locked out of some "shrine" puzzles due to not having an ability yet, but there are ways around that (open ended puzzles that have one of the non-main abilities as a potential solution, or even just a straight up message telling you you don't have the tools for this puzzle when you enter an associated Shrine)

The 2 abilities I think we could see in some capacity, based on mostly nothing, are construct companions and a hookshot equivalent. Expanding on the wolf link amibo from botw, I think it would be cool to be able to order around your own little construct buddy. They could even have a heart gauge for them on the bottom left of the screen just like wolf link. This would also work well with the themes of creation and customization, ideally you would be able to equip them with whatever you want. The hookshot seems likely just due to it being popular among the devs in botw’s development as well as fitting in with a more vertical game. The only “evidence” there is for the hookshot is that one clip of a Hinox chasing after link in a tunnel. Apart from wearing a green rock around its neck, the only thing that’s different about the Hinox is that it wears a wooden helmet on its head held together by rope to protect its horn. I cannot for the life of me think of a reason for why the Hinox would need protection for its horn. Why would the horn be a weak point? Maybe it’s copium but I think with a hookshot equivalent you could latch onto the horn to pull yourself towards the eye and take a swing. This would also work well with all the new enemy types and returning enemies that have horns. Hookshot a red bokoblin’s horn and yank him towards you. This is all just baseless speculation and these things probably won’t be in the game but it’s fun to think about.

The 2 abilities I think we could see in some capacity, based on mostly nothing, are construct companions and a hookshot equivalent. Expanding on the wolf link amibo from botw, I think it would be cool to be able to order around your own little construct buddy. They could even have a heart gauge for them on the bottom left of the screen just like wolf link. This would also work well with the themes of creation and customization, ideally you would be able to equip them with whatever you want. The hookshot seems likely just due to it being popular among the devs in botw’s development as well as fitting in with a more vertical game. The only “evidence” there is for the hookshot is that one clip of a Hinox chasing after link in a tunnel. Apart from wearing a green rock around its neck, the only thing that’s different about the Hinox is that it wears a wooden helmet on its head held together by rope to protect its horn. I cannot for the life of me think of a reason for why the Hinox would need protection for its horn. Why would the horn be a weak point? Maybe it’s copium but I think with a hookshot equivalent you could latch onto the horn to pull yourself towards the eye and take a swing. This would also work well with all the new enemy types and returning enemies that have horns. Hookshot a red bokoblin’s horn and yank him towards you. This is all just baseless speculation and these things probably won’t be in the game but it’s fun to think about.
Wait... if that green stuff isn't glue, what is it? Well I suppose you can Fuse it to something but what does it do?

Anyways I still feel like the Hinox thing was just another weapon horn situation (for like a large hammer or something) but the idea of it as protection is interesting and I certainly would not mind a Hookshot being one of the missing abilities (probably the last Zonai one)

Also having a construct summon sounds cool as hell and now I'm sad it's probably not going to be a thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom