• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Previews The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Preview Thread

Is it controversial to say that I think it's too convenient to be able to make meals automatically from the recipe list? I didn't like it in Genshin, don't mind just having the recipe list in game since most people use a guide anyway

Did any of the previews make any graphics/tech analysis? Like FPS and pixel counting idk. Sad that DF didn't make a preview video.

Is it controversial to say that I think it's too convenient to be able to make meals automatically from the recipe list? I didn't like it in Genshin, don't mind just having the recipe list in game since most people use a guide anyway
I feel the same way. In Breath of the Wild cooking was an experiment and an adventure, now it's another button to press

Did any of the previews make any graphics/tech analysis? Like FPS and pixel counting idk. Sad that DF didn't make a preview video.

900p, stable 30fps outside of explosions and the ability overlay activation, no drops in traversal/sky island stuff. uses GVGs direct feed source.

IGN's preview states that you cannot automatically cook recipes. The cards simply track the dishes you've cooked.

Not joking this time, someone in the TotK subreddit did end up posting an image of a new enemy variant about an hour ago. They sniped it from preview footage, seems legit.

Not kidding, don’t click this if you don’t want to know about a possible significant enemy.

Electric Gleeok and its location is on the ToTK subreddit post or and go to 5:23, look on the ground, 3 yellow heads down below.

Last edited:
Not joking this time, someone in the the TotK subreddit did end up posting an image of a new enemy variant about an hour ago. They sniped it from preview footage, seems legit.

Not kidding, don’t click this if you don’t want to know about a possible significant enemy.

Electric Gleeok and its location is on the ToTK subreddit post
Oooo lemme see

Anything about the the shrine finder thing. I hated that dumb beeping sound. I so wished for just a gps like locator.

But for the vast majority of the game, they will barely ever hit a fury rush until they complete vah nabooris. Shrinking the window is 100% a bad thing.
Ignoring the first part because I don't even understand what you said, but maybe instead of "smaller" I should have said "fixed". Flurry rushes are legitimately broken. You can activate them by "dodging" an attack whose animation is already complete or is nowhere near Link's character model.

You shouldn't be able to teleport to an enemy 30 feet away because you hopped to the left a second after it finished swinging its sword in a different direction.

I saw footage of someone activating one against a Zonai construct that wasn't as egregious as some of the ones I've seen in BotW, but it still looked pretty borked.

The fact that almost every single piece of any argument can be drawn up to - total player choice - nullifies the argument for me.

So, we know we can save our own blueprints to auto build fast, I wonder if that also means you can find/buy blueprints in the overworld?

Would also be cool if you could share blueprints online with other players but I doubt that will be the case.

I told my lil nephew that one of the mighty powers of the Tri-force of Courage is to stop time just so you can eat. Thus its canonical to eat during battle! 🍖 🍌

Tri-force of Courage is the strongest of the three Triangular Forces (as long as you cooked/harvested enough).

These two weeks will go fast because these previews did nothing for me... still with the same worriers since I didn't particularly enjoy the lack of focus of BOTW and nothing is addressed in this regard yet.

Also, I don't know if previewing all the same enemies as usual was a great move. Combat looks exactly the same and it was one of the biggest room for improvement of the game. I know there are over 10 new enemies but even so... show me something new, be it enemies or combat mechanics.

Combat looks exactly the same and it was one of the biggest room for improvement of the game.

I agree that combat could be improved in BotW but I guess considering the mass market appeal Zelda games has I think Nintendo is hesitant making it more technical than it is. But my sense from the previews is that combat is a different experience than BotW in that the full use of abilities is heavily encouraged and kinda necessary. From all the previews it seems like going in with a non fused weapon and just swinging like in BotW will not be successful.

Also while everyone certainly has their own version of what a Zelda game should be and their own preferences about gameplay, to me both BotW and TotK really is the promise of the series coming to fruition. When I was a child playing LoZ or ALttP and even more so when trying to imagine what a 3D Zelda would be like, this exploratory and interactive freedom was what I dreamed of. To me this new direction since BotW really is a return to the core of the series, which to me never was the linear gameplay Nintendo came up with as a response to the technical limitations of the time.

These two weeks will go fast because these previews did nothing for me... still with the same worriers since I didn't particularly enjoy the lack of focus of BOTW and nothing is addressed in this regard yet.

Also, I don't know if previewing all the same enemies as usual was a great move. Combat looks exactly the same and it was one of the biggest room for improvement of the game. I know there are over 10 new enemies but even so... show me something new, be it enemies or combat mechanics.
We saw three new enemies in the previews. Boss Bokoblins, armored Bokoblins, and Zonai Constructs. We saw a Zonai Construct shooting a rocket arrow at Link from long distance, Link was using a flamethrower to defeat the Boss Bokoblin, and recall was used to reverse a TNT barrel (moved by ultrahand) into a moblin. We also got a preview of aerial combat, even though it was never used on an enemy.

I agree that combat could be improved in BotW but I guess considering the mass market appeal Zelda games has I think Nintendo is hesitant making it more technical than it is. But my sense from the previews is that combat is a different experience than BotW in that the full use of abilities is heavily encouraged and kinda necessary. From all the previews it seems like going in with a non fused weapon and just swinging like in BotW will not be successful.

Also while everyone certainly has their own version of what a Zelda game should be and their own preferences about gameplay, to me both BotW and TotK really is the promise of the series coming to fruition. When I was a child playing LoZ or ALttP and even more so when trying to imagine what a 3D Zelda would be like, this exploratory and interactive freedom was what I dreamed of. To me this new direction since BotW really is a return to the core of the series, which to me never was the linear gameplay Nintendo came up with as a response to the technical limitations of the time.

I am not against the core concept of BOTW, I think it's good and I don't want to change what others enjoy even if I think I could enjoy it more other way. However, I think I could come to love the concept if some things were further developed in BOTW and I don0t think that will happen in TOTK from what I've seen.

Regarding combat, I am not in the camp of Dark Souls combat style. From what people commented from the previews, I am however in the camp of that big blocky golem where you need to use your abilities in a puzzle way to defeat him. That rarely happens at all in BOWT and it's more a self-imposed thing by the player to defeat enemies in new and original ways when, as you say, you can flurry rush everything mindless... which is not exciting at all.

We saw three new enemies in the previews. Boss Bokoblins, armored Bokoblins, and Zonai Constructs. We saw a Zonai Construct shooting a rocket arrow at Link from long distance, Link was using a flamethrower to defeat the Boss Bokoblin, and recall was used to reverse a TNT barrel (moved by ultrahand) into a moblin. We also got a preview of aerial combat, even though it was never used on an enemy.

I mean, yeah... but I want something that feels fresher that the 10th derivation of a Bokoblin in the game. Also, something that force you to make use of the new abilities to defeat these enemies, instead of being a more creative option to the flurry rush solution. That's my biggest grip with BOTW combat... you havein theory a lot of creative possibilities but the enemies never require you to make use of them and it's the player who must self-impose them as an extra challenge. It would be cool if the game offered the challenge itself.

Zonai are cool.

I am not against the core concept of BOTW, I think it's good and I don't want to change what others enjoy even if I think I could enjoy it more other way. However, I think I could come to love the concept if some things were further developed in BOTW and I don0t think that will happen in TOTK from what I've seen.

Regarding combat, I am not in the camp of Dark Souls combat style. From what people commented from the previews, I am however in the camp of that big blocky golem where you need to use your abilities in a puzzle way to defeat him. That rarely happens at all in BOWT and it's more a self-imposed thing by the player to defeat enemies in new and original ways when, as you say, you can flurry rush everything mindless... which is not exciting at all.

I mean, yeah... but I want something that feels fresher that the 10th derivation of a Bokoblin in the game. Zonai are cool.
These Bokoblins change up the dynamics of a fight though, they're not just more Bokoblins. Armored Bokoblins take very little damage from normal weapons and cannot be staggered, and Boss Bokoblins are pretty much mini Hinox that are surrounded by normal Bokoblins. It's already way better than BOTW where the only upgrades Bokoblins got were extra health buffs.

These Bokoblins change up the dynamics of a fight though, they're not just more Bokoblins. Armored Bokoblins take very little damage from normal weapons and cannot be staggered, and Boss Bokoblins are pretty much mini Hinox that are surrounded by normal Bokoblins. It's already way better than BOTW where the only upgrades Bokoblins got were extra health buffs.

Yeah, it's better than BOTW... but it could be way better (and I expect it to!). I am a bit tired of seeing Bokoblins everywhere, and making new derivations of them which at the same replicate other existing enemies like Hinox, doesn't sound that exciting. I would like new enemies, like the blocky golem, who can take advantage of your new abilities. I mean, it is in Nintendo DNA whenever it gives your new gameplay mechanics to surround you with things to take advantage of them. Mario Odyssey? Full of that.

Did anyone fight the flying enemies? Still wondering what their name is and what they drop
I saw them flying around in the sky areas too

So I read various stuff about disappointing or actually bad frame rates in some instances but apparently that’s only from Nintendo’s footage sent to people who did their previews, and not their actual gameplay?
Is it fine overall? I’m not watching more footage to avoid spoils at this point but I’m curious about performance, even limited to the preview area.

Kinda insane how Zeltik's video is the most viewed preview right now, even beating IGN. Huge W.
He deserves it. I don't watch a lot of his videos but his TotK preview was a nice balance of informative and non-spoiler-y. And the comedic timing was on point, too.

Is it me, or is this April the longest and slowest moving one in the history of humanity?

Lool they really showed that. Like everytime someone destroys the NDA.

Everyone: "It's new Sheikah Towers! I wonder what they do!"
Purah: "They're huge fucken' cannons!"

0c3f1e84448cc1e0622ddee82872e53932af8bfa.gif

Someone get me my Stick Stick

Sturdy, sticky, or the mushroomy one?

While I personally do share the sentiment that the preview footage is not focused on what I am most excited for in the game, I also don’t think that I am the person Nintendo wants to market this game to in the run-in to the release. I was sold on “The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild is now in development”.

What is clear to me that NCL dont want anything story related being shown pre release, NOA still needs to market the game and goes full in on the creative new aspects of the game. Of which mainly only the fuse weapons and maybe the zonai items are mandatory to use. *

*Yes you can build a whole airship, but fusing a zonai item -> rocket to your shield and flying high and then paragliding will probably work too

Is it fine overall? I’m not watching more footage to avoid spoils at this point but I’m curious about performance, even limited to the preview area.
Seems like the general take away from the previews is that it's mostly the same performance as BotW has at this point. Remember that performance at launch for BotW was quite a bit worse than after a few patches.

So, as stated above in thread as well, resolution 900p but probably dynamic as well and a mostly consistent 30fps outside of drops in concurrence with large explosions and such things. We'll have to see if there are specifics environments that causes drops as well like the Kokiri forest did in BotW. I really hope not though since that kinda made it suck to spend time there and I think consistent drops in an area affects the experience much more than small drops when firing a bomb arrow into an enemy camp.

Inb4 eating a lot of food makes Link fatter and more sluggish
Aonuma and Fujibayashi been playing Wario Land 3: we're gonna get underground by becoming Fat Link in the sky and then jumping down to Hyrule and smashing through the ground.

Absolutely zero chance the 4 abilities they’ve shown are given any later than the tutorial
I mean in BOTW you got the camera only in Hateno. It‘s possible that you get something similar after the the tutorial in this game.

You can see Zeltik is great from the way he reacted to the trailers. Instead of fake screaming he was genuinely happy and amazed without clickbait reactions. His analysis videos are fantastic. Plus he has a soothing voice.

You can see Zeltik is great from the way he reacted to the trailers. Instead of fake screaming he was genuinely happy and amazed without clickbait reactions. His analysis videos are fantastic. Plus he has a soothing voice.
good reaction videos are rarer to find than diamonds. 99% of people dont pay attention to what they re seeing, they just either scream or explain or what is happening lmao "oh my god did they just do this?"

Zeltik is top tier Zelda YouTuber. Absolutely deserved that he got to play the game. He is someone who genuinely cares about the franchise.

It just thoroughly tickles me that the very first things previewers can get here are rockets, fans, batteries, balloons … that right there is an entire game’s worth of crafting materials and this is supposedly like, what, 1/10th of what will be in the game? Absolutely goddamn wild.

I legit thought that the rocket would be some mighty mid-game reward, and then it’s like nope, it’s preview material ….

Back
Top Bottom