• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Previews The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Preview Thread

Where's my Zelda Maker, Nintendo!?!??!
Here
Links-Awakening-Chamber-Dungeon-template-1-1024x542.jpg

They could easily have released a rehash of BotW after 2.5 years and sold over 10 million copies.

Instead it seems like they upgraded the BotW formula in every conceivable way, then spent years adding things way beyond what we could even think to hope for, then refined and polished it to an unbelievable degree . . .

. . . and then added some more

😍

it's just really hard to think of something new to cook for the fam every day. it's almost all with tomatoes too and it makes me feel bad for the daddy and mommy tomatoes. also when it's warm outside and you have to cook it gets even hotter in the kitchen and i start sweating even more and the sauce becomes too salty from my sweat
No!!! This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about!!!!!!!

Is this the only outlet that uploaded their coverage as a 4k video? Cause I want more! Anyone else seen any like this?

Basically the only way to view the footage with almost no compression artifacts.

Is this the only outlet that uploaded their coverage as a 4k video? Cause I want more! Anyone else seen any like this?

Basically the only way to view the footage with almost no compression artifacts.

It shows malice holes in every spot where the four shrines were.

If you look closely, there's an interesting green structure in the cliffs to Link's left, and what looks like an interesting passageway along the cliffs to get there.

I wish I was able to set myself a limit of how much I want to get spoiled, but I can‘t.

Last edited:
After everything we've seen so far the correct question we should ask is not "Did they need six years to make this?" but "How do they did all this stuff in only six years?"

One of the previews (I think it was Skill Up) said it best. In just two hours of playtime and it feels like full fleshed mechanics of six different games in one package.

After everything we've seen so far the correct question we should ask is not "Did they need six years to make this?" but "How do they did all this stuff in only six years?"

One of the previews (I think it was Skill Up) said it best. In just two hours of playtime and it feels like full fleshed mechanics of six different games in one package.
The reason it's taken six years is because it's taken the testers six years to play the whole game.

So it seems they implemented actual aerodynamic physics. Pretty mind-blowing.

Comment on the same video:
9:19 - This is going to be extremely nerdy but it just goes to show the level of detail they are puting into this game. We can see the glider entering "ground effect". You can see it going back up, as it creates an area of high pressure between itself and the ground, increasing lift. It is INSANE that this is accurately modelled. Furthermore, once the glider starts flying aways from the platform, it is experiencing an effect known as purpoising. As it increases it's angle of attack to the oncoming wind (air), it increases its drag and loses kinetic energy (speed), causing it to stall and decrease it's angle of attack, decreasing drag and increasing speed, and the cycle repeats. This kind of physics based interactions are ususally only found in hardcore simulators. Absolutely incredible stuff!

In just two hours of playtime and it feels like full fleshed mechanics of six different games in one package.

Precisely.

1. "Camp Storm" - Evil trolls taking over! Battle through camps and fortresses using fused weapons. Coming to Android and iOS in 2023.
2. "The Lost Isles" - Explore a vast variety of airborne islands and figure out the way forward in this new Switch title coming next month!
3. "Gluemania" - This indie darling has you glueing together various contraptions and vehicles. Only on Nintendo Switch!
4. "Rocket Men" - Fire up those rockets! Attach rockets to your shield and soar through the air. Coming 7th of July to all current-gen platforms.
5. " Be kind, rewind" - Solve devious puzzles and make your way through level after level in this time-bending brain-twister. Out now on Steam!
6. "The Ascender" - In this inventive platformer, you ascend and phase through the floor above you! Now in development.

Some cool direct feed footage with no voiceover. Can get a good sense of some of the themes.

2:53 - Cleared Fort theme
3:28 - Sky overworld theme

11:16 - Some cool usage of Recall on a Ultrahand-ed aircraft

Precisely.

1. "Camp Storm" - Evil trolls taking over! Battle through camps and fortresses using fused weapons. Coming to Android and iOS in 2023.
2. "The Lost Isles" - Explore a vast variety of airborne islands and figure out the way forward in this new Switch title coming next month!
3. "Gluemania" - This indie darling has you glueing together various contraptions and vehicles. Only on Nintendo Switch!
4. "Rocket Men" - Fire up those rockets! Attach rockets to your shield and soar through the air. Coming 7th of July to all current-gen platforms.
5. " Be kind, rewind" - Solve devious puzzles and make your way through level after level in this time-bending brain-twister. Out now on Steam!
6. "The Ascender" - In this inventive platformer, you ascend and phase through the floor above you! Now in development.
7. Demon Daddy: A Demon King Dating Simulator

So it seems they implemented actual aerodynamic physics. Pretty mind-blowing.

Comment on the same video:

While obviously some liberties have been taken with the precision of the simulation, the wind and physical properties of objects in the world are indeed simulated to a degree. That footage also proves that the fire animation is physics-driven and influenced by wind direction, air resistance, and motion.

I wish we had more AAA games with physics systems like this.

Super fun to hold a Switch controller while watching direct feed footage, trying to imagine that it's you yourself playing.

Makes me visibly tremble with excitement. MAY 12TH HURRY UP.

Super fun to hold a Switch controller while watching direct feed footage, trying to imagine that it's you yourself playing.

Glad I'm not the only one who does stuff like this

Glad I'm not the only one who does stuff like this

Haaaa, y'all actually do stuff like that with a switch controller pretending to actually be playing the game??
Use the joycons separately is the best experience to imagine your inside the world for a more virtual experience 😉

I was once holding an SNES controller and pushing buttons without any game on, actually just playing Tetris in my head. My wife entered the room and asked if everything was alright.

Edit: Realized this is the Zelda preview thread and not general discussion. Anyway, this is related to the discussion above 😅

I was once holding an SNES controller and pushing buttons without any game on, actually just playing Tetris in my head. My wife entered the room and asked if everything was alright.

Edit: Realized this is the Zelda preview thread and not general discussion. Anyway, this is related to the discussion above 😅

One of us. One of us

Honestly, more than anything else, I'm impressed how much utility each ability has. Like Fuse alone improves upon the weapon durability system and has applications for combat, traversal, puzzles, etc. Even Ascend seems like it'll have much more general and possibly puzzle use than something like Freeze. Pair that with more creative and diverse environments to explore, larger enemy variety, potentially more classically designed dungeons, and a darker edge, I think this might have the chance to dethrone MM as my favorite Zelda and game of all time

Back
Top Bottom