• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Previews The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Preview Thread

It just thoroughly tickles me that the very first things previewers can get here are rockets, fans, batteries, balloons … that right there is an entire game’s worth of crafting materials and this is supposedly like, what, 1/10th of what will be in the game? Absolutely goddamn wild.

I legit thought that the rocket would be some mighty mid-game reward, and then it’s like nope, it’s preview material ….
Considering the rockets we saw in the previews burn up quickly like an Elon rocket, perhaps there will be higher quality rockets we'll find later in the game.

It just thoroughly tickles me that the very first things previewers can get here are rockets, fans, batteries, balloons … that right there is an entire game’s worth of crafting materials and this is supposedly like, what, 1/10th of what will be in the game? Absolutely goddamn wild.

I legit thought that the rocket would be some mighty mid-game reward, and then it’s like nope, it’s preview material ….
Since the save files from the previews already have Link start with numerous hearts and two full circles of stamina, I think it’s meant to be a vertical slice of gameplay from many hours into the game, rather than a demonstration of early gameplay.

Oh my god let's please not start another two pages of ridiculous whining about cooking
it's just really hard to think of something new to cook for the fam every day. it's almost all with tomatoes too and it makes me feel bad for the daddy and mommy tomatoes. also when it's warm outside and you have to cook it gets even hotter in the kitchen and i start sweating even more and the sauce becomes too salty from my sweat

it's just really hard to think of something new to cook for the fam every day. it's almost all with tomatoes too and it makes me feel bad for the daddy and mommy tomatoes. also when it's warm outside and you have to cook it gets even hotter in the kitchen and i start sweating even more and the sauce becomes too salty from my sweat

nGudzVjoP83J479rBoXG5A.jpg

good reaction videos are rarer to find than diamonds. 99% of people dont pay attention to what they re seeing, they just either scream or explain or what is happening lmao "oh my god did they just do this?"
Reacting to trailers is a weird one. I don't know about you, but when I watched the final TOTK trailer I wasn't have any thoughts more articulate than "omg wow this looks great". A movie / TV show? Sure. But a trailer by its nature doesn't let things breathe long enough for me to do or say anything particularly thoughtful.

The fact is that content creators make these trailer reaction videos because there's a demand for it, and I don't think the target audience really wants anything other than exaggerated shocked faces and hyperbolic exclamations.

Oh my god let's please not start another two pages of ridiculous whining about cooking
If you haven't invested into an air fryer and a pressure cooker and are complaining about cooking you've played yourself. So many meals you can just set it "AND FORGET IT".

Reacting to trailers is a weird one. I don't know about you, but when I watched the final TOTK trailer I wasn't have any thoughts more articulate than "omg wow this looks great". A movie / TV show? Sure. But a trailer by its nature doesn't let things breathe long enough for me to do or say anything particularly thoughtful.

The fact is that content creators make these trailer reaction videos because there's a demand for it, and I don't think the target audience really wants anything other than exaggerated shocked faces and hyperbolic exclamations.

Because I want to relive the shock/excitement I felt when something like the reveal of Metroid Dread happened, or the Smash reveal of Cloud/Joker/Steve/Sephiroth/Sora, when Odyssey revealed you could body possess people, etc. Often when I watch trailer reactions I'm mostly focused on the build up to that big moment for that sweet nostalgic dopamine.

i meant in general, but yeah reacting to trailers is a weird thing, theres like only one youtuber i like to watch that does that and its arlo.

Although god knows i will exhaust every youtube page watching mp4 trailer reactions when it happens just because i can.

Read through the EG preview this morning and the key thing that's standing out to me is how it sounds like some of the shenanigans you got up to in the shrines in BotW are more directly integrated into the overworld, and it sounds like the Sky Islands are going to serve a similar purpose to shrines (which they haven't really addressed in any of the promotional material so far). Which feels a lot more organic and kinda feeds into my personal theory that shrines were glommed onto BotW late in development (possibly as a scope cutting measure).

Regardless, hella excited for a more puzzl-y overworld!

Last edited:
You make it so you can only eat in real time. People avoid eating at all while battling and the optimal strat becomes waiting till out of battle to eat. People would also complain that navigating the menus feels tedious while in combat. Players would still in this scenario have thousands of apples to consume.

You give food or Link a cool down timer on eating and the player would complain that it's annoying that they have to wait. Like many complained it was annoying the Master Sword had to be recharged.

You do both and you alienate the people who aren't looking for some major challenge when playing a Zelda game.
I think what a lot of people here need to accept is

Old Zelda is dead
Botw made oot and tp sales look minuscule relativly

i meant in general, but yeah reacting to trailers is a weird thing, theres like only one youtuber i like to watch that does that and its arlo.

Although god knows i will exhaust every youtube page watching mp4 trailer reactions when it happens just because i can.
You're probably one of the few that like to watch arlo react to anything. Dear God that man costs me a lot of energy when watching him

You're probably one of the few that like to watch arlo react to anything. Dear God that man costs me a lot of energy when watching him
i dont think so, arlo's reactions are i think the only thing that most people seem to enjoy about him. Even here on famiboards.

hey guys! i haven't read any of this thread yet, but does anyone have thoughts about being able to eat meals to heal while paused?

arlo's reactions are i think the only thing that most people seem to enjoy about him
Yup. His reactions are fun especially when you know what kinda stuff he likes. His critical analysis videos though, not dandy at all.

Old Zelda is dead
I wouldn't say that, the Zelda team or another team could make classic Zelda its own subseries, or the Zelda team could make one as a palate cleanser in between the gargantuan open worlds, or heck maybe a new IP that follows the same formula

but does anyone have thoughts about being able to eat meals to heal while paused?
A couple don't like it, most don't mind it

Dunno what you folks have. When i have to cook, i have to pause whatever i was doing before, too!

it implies there are sillier stuff to find. but how silly can they go?

I wouldn't say that, the Zelda team or another team could make classic Zelda its own subseries, or the Zelda team could make one as a palate cleanser in between the gargantuan open worlds, or heck maybe a new IP that follows the same formula
I've never played, but wasn't Startropics compared to Zelda? Maybe it can take that place.
Or that Smash bros guy Captain Falco, it's not like he has a game of his own anyway...
Honestly I believe there will be games in the old style in between the open world ones. The open world ones take too much time to get developed, maybe there can be a second team tasked to get one done so in the next generation we can have one of each kind? I also hope they can set some team or devs to make new 2d games.

I can‘t cook at the moment, because my stove is kinda broken. I could whine about cooking all day.

I may have a workable solution ... but there's one question ... do you need all of your wooden chairs you have right now?

It's pretty hard to be the only vegetarian in the house sometimes. We take turns cooking and when I cook, I make sure that everyone can eat the food. But e.g. the other day my wife cooked bacon for herself and the girls, and it smelt absolutely terrible. The flip side was that I got to make myself some very good spicy ramen, which the kids wouldn't have been able to eat.

Alex on the Nextlander podcast went to play this, they talk about it on this week’s episode. Alex mentions he found a shrine and was quickly told to move on by Nintendo Reps, could be the same location Gene Park found and referred to as a Dungeon?

I may have a workable solution ... but there's one question ... do you need all of your wooden chairs you have right now?
I could also sit on the floor. Though I need at least one chair for the electrician who comes to repair my stove (for the second time) so I can serve him a coffee while we both look in disbelief at my stove.

I could also sit on the floor. Though I need at least one chair for the electrician who comes to repair my stove (for the second time) so I can serve him a coffee while we both look in disbelief at my stove.

"Son, erm stove ... i am disappoint."

Alex on the Nextlander podcast went to play this, they talk about it on this week’s episode. Alex mentions he found a shrine and was quickly told to move on by Nintendo Reps, could be the same location Gene Park found and referred to as a Dungeon?

I think people can tell the difference between the Shrines we've seen in every bit of game footage and actual new stuff. The structure on the starting island and the weird-shaped building from the artbook leak are both in the scope of the demo and more likely candidates to be considered as dungeons from outside.

I've never played, but wasn't Startropics compared to Zelda? Maybe it can take that place.
Or that Smash bros guy Captain Falco, it's not like he has a game of his own anyway...
Honestly I believe there will be games in the old style in between the open world ones. The open world ones take too much time to get developed, maybe there can be a second team tasked to get one done so in the next generation we can have one of each kind? I also hope they can set some team or devs to make new 2d games.

Sort of, but it was also not really relaesed in Japan until way later. It just isn't a notable overall.

No reason to use a less popular IP than Zelda. Another "2D Zelda" game is almost certainly coming. We just don't know what Grezzo has been working on since LA.

Read through the EG preview this morning and the key thing that's standing out to me is how it sounds like some of the shenanigans you got up to in the shrines in BotW are more directly integrated into the overworld, and it sounds like the Sky Islands are going to serve a similar purpose to shrines (which they haven't really addressed in any of the promotional material so far). Which feels a lot more organic and kinda feeds into my personal theory that shrines were glommed onto BotW late in development (possibly as a scope cutting measure).

Regardless, hella excited for a more puzzl-y overworld!
Well Shrines do still exist (hell, from what we can gather the goal of the last part of the demo was unlocking one) but at the very least there are going to be a lot more integrated puzzles in the Sky Islands

The Shrine described in previews may actually be seamless though, or at least have no loading screens, since you can apparently see the inside from outside

(plus my theory is that it's the true source of the patent that people have been using to theorize that there's a teleportation ability)
Yep, discussed this a while back but it was almost definitely a Shrine

Dunno, wouldn't someone with the experience of Gene Park in this job being able to differantiate between what looks like TotKs version of a BotW Shrine and a ... well ... Zelda typical dungeon building?

I think people can tell the difference between the Shrines we've seen in every bit of game footage and actual new stuff. The structure on the starting island and the weird-shaped building from the artbook leak are both in the scope of the demo and more likely candidates to be considered as dungeons from outside.
Dunno, wouldn't someone with the experience of Gene Park in this job being able to differantiate between what looks like TotKs version of a BotW Shrine and a ... well ... Zelda typical dungeon building?
I mean, this is what he has to say on the matter

People should really be including this part of the tweet

While I personally do share the sentiment that the preview footage is not focused on what I am most excited for in the game, I also don’t think that I am the person Nintendo wants to market this game to in the run-in to the release. I was sold on “The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild is now in development”.

Yep. I think my brain had melted from hype before the sequel text even popped up and I've been all in ever since. Just two weeks but the closer it gets the slower time seems to move lol.

My guess is that, aside from the sky islands, there will be shrine-like things, and “dungeons”, and other dungeon-like areas that will be hard to classify, like Eventide or Hyrule castle.

Before we knew anything about TotK, my ideal BotW 2 dungeon would look very much like Hyrule castle. An area you can approach from any direction, with areas you can tackle in any order, but also with areas closed off to you until you come back later with the correct item or ability to access them.

If TotK had been just that plus a few shrines, that would have been enough for me. But now it looks like they went above and beyond that.

Any idea on whether Link will automatically grab another weapon once the one he was using breaks? Not having to pause every time my weapon breaks is the change I want the most, but I couldn't find anything from some videos I have watched so far. On second thought, I guess with fuse and weapon lasting much longer now, weapons won't break as fast and constant pausing won't be a problem.

Anything about the the shrine finder thing. I hated that dumb beeping sound. I so wished for just a gps like locator.
No mention of that directly, in BOTW it was an option on the map, but it isn't there on the map in this footage.

Speaking of the map, had anyone seen the map icon in the radial ability menu get used? Does that really just bring up the normal map? Seems odd that not a single preview I've seen even touched on that when they danced around the autobuild one so much.

Can we talk about the change in design ethos readily noticeable?

Look at the fort surrounding this tower.

zelda_totk_bokoblin_barrels.0.png

switch_zeldatotk_mediapreview_scrn_9_wide-4b0f61355d91e209e4ff0d20847a8ff8ce8e9739-s1100-c50.jpg

zelda_totk_hinox_white_chuchu_jelly.png

The fort itself, located in Central Hyrule, is elevated and bordered with a spiked wall. There are no high vantages to approach it from via the air, so either you need to build something that raises you up (balloon seems to work best), or you need to take the guided/defined approach from the ground (can't just climb up the cliff walls).

Once you walk/climb up by foot, there seems to be only one way to make an entrance, via the front "gate" and it doesn't seem possible/easy to climb up the side walls and try to jump over, partially because of the physical design of the side walls, and partially because there are no other obvious entrances.

Once you're in, you are walled off on all sides, and if you find a way to slip by the wall, you run into the other side of the spike wall. So you can both corner & get cornered in combat, and there are climbable rafters scattered around the fort that you might be able to use to your advantage.

This is a clearly different approach than BOTW had. The freedom is still there, but there's intentional level design here (nothing HUGELY complex, but blatantly more complex and guided than BOTW). EDIT: Another note - the falling spiked ball, more evidence of curated level design, this time in order to trigger 2 different ability uses. 1.) Recall to send the ball back up the narrow path down and crush enemies. 2.) Fuse to combine with a 1-handed weapon creating a strong blunt weapon tough enough to break the armored Bokoblin's stone armor. Feels very pre-BOTW Zelda to me...except instead of dungeon-specific items, your abilities allow you to manipulate your local location in a similar way (and beyond what BOTW enabled outside of shrines).

They listened, they knew where to take this after BOTW. I'm confident that we'll see this ethos throughout the game and in dungeon/dungeon-like areas as well. It'll be open but not "design-less" like BOTW often felt.

Last edited:
This is a clearly different approach than BOTW had. The freedom is still there, but there's intentional level design here (nothing HUGELY complex, but blatantly more complex and guided than BOTW).

They listened, they knew where to take this after BOTW. I'm confident that we'll see this ethos throughout the game and in dungeon/dungeon-like areas as well. It'll be open but not "design-less" like BOTW often felt.
I'm excited 😍😍

switch_zeldatotk_mediapreview_scrn_9_wide-4b0f61355d91e209e4ff0d20847a8ff8ce8e9739-s1100-c50.jpg

The fort itself, located in Central Hyrule, is elevated and bordered with a spiked wall. There are no high vantages to approach it from via the air, so either you need to build something that raises you up (balloon seems to work best), or you need to take the guided/defined approach from the ground (can't just climb up the cliff walls).

Once you walk/climb up by foot, there seems to be only one way to make an entrance, via the front "gate" and it doesn't seem possible/easy to climb up the side walls and try to jump over, partially because of the physical design of the side walls, and partially because there are no other obvious entrances.

Once you're in, you are walled off on all sides, and if you find a way to slip by the wall, you run into the other side of the spike wall. So you can both corner & get cornered in combat, and there are climbable rafters scattered around the fort that you might be able to use to your advantage.

This is a clearly different approach than BOTW had. The freedom is still there, but there's intentional level design here (nothing HUGELY complex, but blatantly more complex and guided than BOTW).

Great analysis! I noticed the exact same thing, especially in a few different videos yesterday.

Gives me confidence that our first few dozen hours of running around the surface of Hyrule will feel a bit more distinct in approach than BOTW.

Yup. His reactions are fun especially when you know what kinda stuff he likes. His critical analysis videos though, not dandy at all.

A couple don't like it, most don't mind it
I would clarify I think 2d is safe.

I doubt we will get a new traditional 3d Zelda, it would eat a lot of resources even in a smaller level of dev.

This is a clearly different approach than BOTW had. The freedom is still there, but there's intentional level design here (nothing HUGELY complex, but blatantly more complex and guided than BOTW). EDIT: Another note - the falling spiked ball, more evidence of curated level design, this time in order to trigger 2 different ability uses. 1.) Recall to send the ball back up the narrow path down and crush enemies. 2.) Fuse to combine with a 1-handed weapon creating a strong blunt weapon tough enough to break the armored Bokoblin's stone armor. Feels very pre-BOTW Zelda to me...except instead of dungeon-specific items, your abilities allow you to manipulate your local location in a similar way (and beyond what BOTW enabled outside of shrines).

Quick addition:

Another note - the falling spiked ball, more evidence of curated level design, this time in order to trigger 2 different ability uses. 1.) Recall to send the ball back up the narrow path down and crush enemies. 2.) Fuse to combine with a 1-handed weapon creating a strong blunt weapon tough enough to break the armored Bokoblin's stone armor. Feels very pre-BOTW Zelda to me...except instead of dungeon-specific items, your abilities allow you to manipulate your local location in a similar way (and beyond what BOTW enabled outside of shrines).

I would clarify I think 2d is safe.

I doubt we will get a new traditional 3d Zelda, it would eat a lot of resources even in a smaller level of dev.
while 2D is safe, I don't think they'll keep pursuing the LttP style. they might do a different take to make the jump much more apparent.

maybe CRPG-styled Zelda :O

Quick addition:

Another note - the falling spiked ball, more evidence of curated level design, this time in order to trigger 2 different ability uses. 1.) Recall to send the ball back up the narrow path down and crush enemies. 2.) Fuse to combine with a 1-handed weapon creating a strong blunt weapon tough enough to break the armored Bokoblin's stone armor. Feels very pre-BOTW Zelda to me...except instead of dungeon-specific items, your abilities allow you to manipulate your local location in a similar way (and beyond what BOTW enabled outside of shrines).
Unique fuse-able materials could even replace traditional dungeon items

Back
Top Bottom