• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enemies that burrow from sky island to sky island does sound like a very Nintendo thing, so for the sake of fun I'm taking this leak half-serious.

Last edited:
"Ambiguous protagonist"

Oh no, we are doing this all over again are we.

It's link. In the contractually obligated new design so they can make a new link amiibo to sell alongside the game. There's really no ambiguity in there.
Idk, I think the "it's not Link" speculation here is kind of fun and harmless. If it ends up being Link then people will just say okay and move on, but the outift looking extremely similar to the mummy's/Ganondorf's is super interesting.

At the very least, the new design is cool as fuck.

Well it sounds weird without context. Clearly he has it here, but doesn’t have it in footage from the second trailer, right? So where did it go? Not saying the leaker is right, but not saying he is wrong either. There could have been any number of reasons for why Link HAD to return it. Context matters which we don’t have.
Yes, he has.
In the first seconds, when malice takes Link’s right arm, we can see the sheat and part of the MS.

That game difficulty tidbit gives the fake away. Never seen a leaker be so specific about such information which at this point should only be privy to a dozen people on the development team.

That game difficulty tidbit gives the fake away. Never seen a leaker be so specific about such information which at this point should only be privy to a dozen people on the development team.
I think this is the impression of the tester, its not an official statement. Its what he feels after playing both games.

Regarding the enemies, if this games is a direct sequel of botw 1 and happen immediately after the full ending, it makes sense that the ground enemies are the same.

I think the game will have 3 layers of the map; ground, underground and sky. Ground will have the same enemies as botw1 but underground and sky will feature new ones (like we saw on the trailer). BOTW1 has 12 enemy types (bokoblins, moblins, lizalfos, stal, chuchu, keese, octorocks, wizzrobes, pebblits, lynel, guardians and yiga) and 3 overworld bosses (talus, hinox and molduga). Add 6 enemy types and 1 overworld boss for each sky/ungerground areas and thats doubling the enemy count.

So basically the world size will be 2-3 times bigger than the first game. Probably near 3 if you also include the dark dimension where zelda is trapped, and thats sound really cool.

That 4chan post feels a little bit too much like a checklist of stuff that people have wished for and speculated about based on the first two trailers. Some of it sounds good, some of it not so much.
about par for the course in terms of made-up rumor nonsense :D

but maybe this time it's real

Except the part about the enemies, it sounds pretty good to me. Not sure if this is real but I remember several months before BOTWs reveal, someone published a cropped image of the round bombs icon of the UI, so it's entirely possible someone can have access to the game before reveal and share something... We'll see, I suppose, soon...

It’s all a little too safe for me to take this leak seriously. Remember, when we got a real leak of BotW a few days before E3 2016, people were talking of an emphasis on magic vs technology, an intricate weather system with storms and such, as well as a hundred minidungeons scattered across the land. Besides maybe the weather thing, the other info could hardly have been guessed from the little footage we had before the full reveal at E3 2016.

A dark world version of Breath of the Wild Hyrule sounds amazing. That's a great way to get around the "using the same world" criticism.
Not necessarily. I think it depends on how they do it. A Link to the Past had some different geography, but it was mostly for some light-puzzling/gatekeeping, and side-quests often de-emphasized the dark world, which made the second half too dungeon oriented (this isn't likely to happen with a BOTW sequel). Ocarina of Time arguably did a better job contextualizing the dual-world same-locations concept, but its execution from a gameplay perspective was even more touch and go. Some things about the concept were just amazing, but for the most part once you became Adult Link it felt more like a hassle to go back to Young Link.

Some of these mistakes would be almost impossible to replicate, but the point is I don't think it's really a guarantee. A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time mostly did the concept justice because the second world was the second half of the game from a linear perspective, in actuality the original state of the world became pretty uninteresting the moment you went to the later world with few exceptions. Because Breath of the Wild is non-linear, transitioning from worlds and each world playing their own part in the game would have to be made significantly more interesting.

Honestly, it would probably actually be harder to make a dark world standout that parallels Hyrule, than to just make a smaller new continent on top of a few radical changes to Hyrule.

It’s all a little too safe for me to take this leak seriously. Remember, when we got a real leak of BotW a few days before E3 2016, people were talking of an emphasis on magic vs technology, an intricate weather system with storms and such, as well as a hundred minidungeons scattered across the land. Besides maybe the weather thing, the other info could hardly have been guessed from the little footage we had before the full reveal at E3 2016.
Yeah seriously. Aside from some small details, I'm surprised this leak has been met with so much positivity, especially when people kept saying and hyping up the fact that Nintendo would do something different, something unexpected, some grand hoo-hah that wasn't revealed in the trailers.

Pretty much all of that leak could easily be speculated from the trailers and has been. I guess some of it is technically not too obvious, stuff like Zelda changing the overworld or striking enemies to repair weapons is cool, but still. I don't want BOTW2 to just be an unexciting fanfic as far as reveals go, even if this theoretical game would probably be awesome (after all, execution > concept).

about par for the course in terms of made-up rumor nonsense :D

but maybe this time it's real

You know there have been many real leaks on 4chan right?
Particularly ones that were lauded as "nonsense" up until they were proven right? Lol

it's time for ol' reliable

E9hfX6KXsAwkF6S.jpg

(not that I think this one is especially convincing)

This is well done if it’s fake. Not giving a title actually makes me think this could be real since it would make sense to withhold that from beta testers and the like.

I find it hard to believe that so much is reused and this game will still take 4 years to finish.

Normally I'd call bullshit and ignore the leak, but the whole "hitting enemies to turn back time on your weapons" thing seems like such a Nintendo idea. That gives me pause.
It really does. That one sounds the most plausible.

I feel like a game of BotW's scope would need a lengthy period of mass testing/QA, to the point where it not being at that phase now would be concerning for a release this year.

But I definitely don't know this to be true; I don't have any experience on the matter. The more I think on it, the more the Master Sword bit is the giveaway for me. Dude really got the first question wrong lol.

(Also, the Q&A style of the leak gives the leaker a springboard to come to with a lot of clever details, which is what made it interesting in the first place. I've taken it down from a 25/75 chance to 5/95 in my mind.)

Oh yeah I remember, it was a leak about the show floor/demos, not the conference itself... my memories are starting to fade away lol! Thank you!
Yep, which is also why the Odyssey logo was misinterpreted. They hadn't seen any actual footage, just some logos.

Edit: Actually, reading it again, I think the game stands probably had screenshots and blurbs.

I want this game to have *skyward sword spoilers Demise and end the curse of reincarnations of Zelda and link fighting his reincarnation. Whatever future Zelda's can be before. botw 2 timeline wise or maybe someone that isn't Ganondorf

As someone who only genuinely got into Zelda with BotW, this game is the first one that I'm actively anticipating - so I feel the waiting pain I've been hearing about ever since OoT back in the day xD .

Also it's crazy how much longer games take to make these days. OoT was 1998, TP was 2006. That's 8 years, with four new 3D Zelda games plus a load of 2D ones.

Fortunately BotW is massive and endlessly replayable - now working on playthrough #6 in which Link gets all memories and the Master Sword first before doing the Divine Beasts. Can't believe that BotW is 5 years old already.

You know there have been many real leaks on 4chan right?
Particularly ones that were lauded as "nonsense" up until they were proven right? Lol
I am aware. Doesn't mean anyone should take the random nonsense seriously every time it gets posted because it just might be one of those rare cases where it ends up true.

I am aware. Doesn't mean anyone should take the random nonsense seriously every time it gets posted because it just might be one of those rare cases where it ends up true.
I don't think you need to worry about other people "taking it seriously". I think it's pretty clear everyone here is taking it with a grain of salt, and it doesn't need to be said that there's a large chance it's fake.

It's a lot nicer when people can discuss supposed "leaks" under the assumption that it's probably fake, without needing an addendum on every post clarifying that they understand it.

If you read the 4chan post instead of basing it on the paraphrased summary, you'll see he says "sounds weird, like it's out of tune or something"

Which sounds like a reasonable description of "mildly dissonant music" if the supposed leaker is not a musician
I think as well, we should probably talk that Breath of the Wild had an extremely dissonant soundtrack too. I know for a lot of people, it sounded weird at first because they really weren't used to Impressionist music. If we got non musicians first impressions of BotW's music, they would probably say the same thing.

Meanwhile, I would love it if they even ratcheted it up even more. I love that Nintendo actually takes their chances to not only use different styles of music, but evolve it as well. It's way better than a lot of other games making modern film soundtracts, but slightly better.

Small little idea I had: What if when you fall, you have to press R3 (crouch button) to enter "skydiving mode", which is the mode where Link holds his arms out and that is the mode where you can use 360 bow aiming.

My favorite BotW leak was the first one no one seems to remember because it was on Gamefaqs and the only thing it leaked was the general icon aesthetic of the game by leaking UI pics of the hearts and the D-pad with its functions, but, hilariously, was 100% real.

I think as well, we should probably talk that Breath of the Wild had an extremely dissonant soundtrack too. I know for a lot of people, it sounded weird at first because they really weren't used to Impressionist music. If we got non musicians first impressions of BotW's music, they would probably say the same thing.

Meanwhile, I would love it if they even ratcheted it up even more. I love that Nintendo actually takes their chances to not only use different styles of music, but evolve it as well. It's way better than a lot of other games making modern film soundtracts, but slightly better.
I think the recent trailer music is a misdirect like that entire trailer is. It's so clearly a variation on the original's main theme - even though the Zelda team always gives each game its own musical identity. So I expect lotsa weirdness when they reveal the complete game!

On the flip side I also expect more traditional Zelda music than in BotW - it's been a major talking point about the original ever since release. So I expect the soundtrack to lean into both extremes even more - more unsettling Vah Ruta dissonance and more prominent bright Parasail / Korok Forest stuff.

I have doubts about a couple of points that the user posted in the 4chan thread:

1. Link put back the MS in the Korok Forest, which is now floating in the sky. But, when does that happen? At the beggining of the trailer we can see malice taking Link’s right arm while he is holding the MS, therefore the malice took it first. Maybe the malice damaged the sword and our first mission is to put back in the floating in the sky Korok Forest?

2. He mentioned in the thread that aside from big size-like-regions dungeons and few floating islands, there’s nothing new in the map, but Aonuma was explicit about how the game expanded to the sky and I doubt that he told that just for a few number of islands.

Last edited:
What are y’all’s hopes for the characters in this game? I have a couple thoughts

First, being a sequel, it’s sure to bring back many characters from the original and I’m fine with that. In addition to link and Zelda, we’ll get Robbie, Purah, and Impa likely.

I don’t know what to think about the dead ghost characters. Normally I would think they aren’t coming back but the champions are super popular. Wonder if they’ll work them in

Which brings me to my next thought, they should REALLY focus more on the “next generation champions.” Riju and Sidon are already popular, Yunobo and Teba could use more fleshing out.

Lastly, I hope we get lots of new characters. This is of course still mysterious, because where would they pull them from? It’s likely an area of the game we haven’t seen yet

What are y’all’s hopes for the characters in this game? I have a couple thoughts

First, being a sequel, it’s sure to bring back many characters from the original and I’m fine with that. In addition to link and Zelda, we’ll get Robbie, Purah, and Impa likely.

I don’t know what to think about the dead ghost characters. Normally I would think they aren’t coming back but the champions are super popular. Wonder if they’ll work them in

Which brings me to my next thought, they should REALLY focus more on the “next generation champions.” Riju and Sidon are already popular, Yunobo and Teba could use more fleshing out.

Lastly, I hope we get lots of new characters. This is of course still mysterious, because where would they pull them from? It’s likely an area of the game we haven’t seen yet

Despite my avatar, I hope the champions/ghosts don't come back.

I would however love to see the champions' descendants have meaningful voiced roles in the game.

One of the things that I hope continues are the costumes, I want to see polygonal OoT Link in the same way Mario had his 64 outfit in Odyssey or maybe the beta version of OoT Link that was shown fighting the metal knight.

Edit 1:
Beta Link
Beta Link 2
Beta Link 3
Beta Link 4

Edit 2:

Last edited:
Fuuuuuuuck no. Absolutely not. If I see one of those things in game I'm turning it off and watching puppy videos.

Except maybe the top left he's just a stick
That only makes him scarier though. The rest are just your garden variety eldritch abominations beyond mortal ken, but stick? Stick is creepy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom