• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not watching it live but I 100% believe it'll show up based on the history of BOTW with TGA, and based on Bill Trinen comment at E3 about how we would see BOTW2 again this year.
I only 50 % believe it'll be there, could you spare 20% of your confidence to give me some hope ?

I think people take whatever Bill says too literally. His job is to saying something without saying something. To get people to look forward to something in the future without giving exact details. There might be something BOTW2-related scheduled for this year but I don't think his comments at E3 should as 100% accurate.

I think people take whatever Bill says too literally. His job is to saying something without saying something. To get people to look forward to something in the future without giving exact details. There might be something BOTW2-related scheduled for this year but I don't think his comments at E3 should as 100% accurate.
Yes, that's like PR speak most of the time. It's his job.

We got Sonic Frontiers, Halo Infinite, and Tchia, that's plenty of Breath of the Wild for today

What do you folks think: the Mario movie was planned for 2022. They might want to make a tie-in Mario game. What would that do to the end-of-year planning? Would they want to avoid releasing Zelda in that same period?

Onward to February!

(I'm glad they are still pushing the game in their 2022 marketing. I think a delay is far less likely than people expect. I don't think Nintendo would've announced a year if they weren't confident they could meet it).

I don't expect to see it in February. It's an E3 announcement for a holiday title. If we see it in February, I expect that to be a delay announcement, timed to get it out of the way before they try to wipe the disappointment away with an onslaught of 2022 info.

tbh i could see BOTW2 to show even before E3, it was showed "again" at this E3 after 2 full years, it would be another "one year later" at E3 2022. They should give us final tease before full E3 blowout or whatever. But am fine if they will wait till E3 to reveal everything.

The collectivity is now in the acceptance phase (acceptance that the game is Q4 2022). Cozy and steady, the best phase to be in.

I’m glad I was already in the mindset that we wouldn’t see it at TGA. That being said, I do believe they could show it again in a February direct, with another teaser trailer to set the table for the big blowout at E3.

I'm thinking so hard right now, and I just can't for the life of me figure out how air traversal will work. Surely, we won't have to slowly paraglide from island to island? Is straight up flying out of the picture? What do y'all think?

I'm thinking so hard right now, and I just can't for the life of me figure out how air traversal will work. Surely, we won't have to slowly paraglide from island to island? Is straight up flying out of the picture? What do y'all think?
I think that one moment where Link dive upwards to go through solid matter can be done in every directions. So you would just dive towards the island you want, as long as you're close enough.

I think that one moment where Link dive upwards to go through solid matter can be done in every directions. So you would just dive towards the island you want, as long as you're close enough.

I always thought that that would be the method that warps you from the ground to the sky. But I like that idea.

* ahem *
Hookshot

I was watching one video that theorizes that Link's arm is possessed by a spirt and it will be this game's companion character. Now I'm laughing at the idea that it would have the personality of Cappy and that the entire game is meant to explain why Link is left handed in most other Zelda games.

Decided to take at the trailer recently and just realized that when the screen with the Spike ball goes grey it’s because the object being targeted is going back in time.

Didn’t noticed that before lol. Some Zelda fans probably did and there’s a YouTube video explaining it’s plot lore for 30 minutes

Decided to take at the trailer recently and just realized that when the screen with the Spike ball goes grey it’s because the object being targeted is going back in time.

Didn’t noticed that before lol. Some Zelda fans probably did and there’s a YouTube video explaining it’s plot lore for 30 minutes
And you’re not wrong! 😉
Time reversal seems to be a theme in both trailers actually. In addition to this new ability you mentioned, there is music in both of them that sounds like it’s reversed. Also, the part where Link warps through the mountain/sky island starts with a water droplet going upwards.

Took me a while to connect the pieces too, I had the impression it was some kind of ball in chain initially.

And you’re not wrong! 😉
Time reversal seems to be a theme in both trailers actually. In addition to this new ability you mentioned, there is music in both of them that sounds like it’s reversed. Also, the part where Link warps through the mountain/sky island starts with a water droplet going upwards.
Wait, this sounds right.

I've been on a trailer analysis binge this past weekend. A lot of focus has been focused on the new sky islands and the potential changes to the existing Hyrule map but I do think there are more new areas than the E3 2021 trailer leads us to believe. I think there is the high potential for a big underground portion. One of the Youtube videos noted that Link and Zelda brought a pack animal with them underground which suggests that they knew the journey down would be an extensive hike. While of course the underground could just be for the very beginning of the game, I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that a large percentage of the game will be spent underground and I'm also going to (probably wrongfully) predict that it will be Zelda exploring those portions. While Link battles Ganon on the surface, she will be exploring the depths looking for a way back up while also discovering some lost secrets and mysteries. You'll switch between Link and Zelda throughout the journey which brings back the dual-worlds motif scene in any Zelda games. Whether or not she is actually playable, I think she will be heavily involved in the story. The E3 2021 trailer ends with a portion of Zelda's lullaby. While it is a common Zelda song and it could just have been thrown in there to end the trailer on a somber note, I do think it was deliberately placed to hint at some part of the story.

The E3 2021 is meant to be a tease but a deliberately crafted one to give a few glimpses of the upcoming game while also not giving a ton away. This trailer exists because Nintendo knew fans have been waiting to see the game and giving them absolutely nothing would have ended the E3 presentation on a sour note. I think they gave just enough for fans to speculate on while not giving away the full breadth (heh) of the scope.

Also my final prediction is that this will be a time loop game where Link and Zelda of Breath of the Wild are in fact the same heroes from 10,000 years ago. And the glowing arm holding Ganodorf down is in fact Link's arm which he left behind 10,000 years so his future self could find it and use it to travel back in time 10,000 years to defeat Ganondorf. Count on it. If I'm wrong, then Dark Cloud will be banned.

So I was looking through Creating a Champion and I started reading the timeline stuff near the end of the book. I didn't know that the book started that all of Hyrule was technology advance 10,000 years ago due to the Shiekah. Which I guess should have been obvious but I kinda just assumed that the Shiekah only built what we see in Breath of the Wild. But if there is time travel to 10,000 years ago in sequel, maybe we will get to see this advance tech Hyrule.

The king of Hyrule back then seems like a real asshole though. Hey thanks for helping us defeat the great evil but I think you might betray me so bury all of your iPads and Gundams underground and never bring them out again!

I've been on a trailer analysis binge this past weekend. A lot of focus has been focused on the new sky islands and the potential changes to the existing Hyrule map but I do think there are more new areas than the E3 2021 trailer leads us to believe. I think there is the high potential for a big underground portion. One of the Youtube videos noted that Link and Zelda brought a pack animal with them underground which suggests that they knew the journey down would be an extensive hike. While of course the underground could just be for the very beginning of the game, I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that a large percentage of the game will be spent underground and I'm also going to (probably wrongfully) predict that it will be Zelda exploring those portions. While Link battles Ganon on the surface, she will be exploring the depths looking for a way back up while also discovering some lost secrets and mysteries. You'll switch between Link and Zelda throughout the journey which brings back the dual-worlds motif scene in any Zelda games. Whether or not she is actually playable, I think she will be heavily involved in the story. The E3 2021 trailer ends with a portion of Zelda's lullaby. While it is a common Zelda song and it could just have been thrown in there to end the trailer on a somber note, I do think it was deliberately placed to hint at some part of the story.

The E3 2021 is meant to be a tease but a deliberately crafted one to give a few glimpses of the upcoming game while also not giving a ton away. This trailer exists because Nintendo knew fans have been waiting to see the game and giving them absolutely nothing would have ended the E3 presentation on a sour note. I think they gave just enough for fans to speculate on while not giving away the full breadth (heh) of the scope.

Also my final prediction is that this will be a time loop game where Link and Zelda of Breath of the Wild are in fact the same heroes from 10,000 years ago. And the glowing arm holding Ganodorf down is in fact Link's arm which he left behind 10,000 years so his future self could find it and use it to travel back in time 10,000 years to defeat Ganondorf. Count on it. If I'm wrong, then Dark Cloud will be banned.
I like this! But for the underground part, i just don't see how it will be large part of the game, it would not be open-world as much but it would be really cool, but as you mentioned they have a animal with them so who knows.

I do wonder if the underground sections could be their answer to the call for more traditional dungeons - literally.

...Also my final prediction is that this will be a time loop game where Link and Zelda of Breath of the Wild are in fact the same heroes from 10,000 years ago. And the glowing arm holding Ganodorf down is in fact Link's arm which he left behind 10,000 years so his future self could find it and use it to travel back in time 10,000 years to defeat Ganondorf. Count on it. If I'm wrong, then Dark Cloud will be banned.

This is where I'm at too. Maybe the "ancient" Link and Zelda are different people (wouldn't it be funny if the Link we saw in the last trailer wasn't the same Link we played in BOTW) but the time loop theory makes sense to me, I hope I'm not projecting too much (Majora's mask anyone?)

I like to believe that, after the cool reception they got to a more developed Zelda as a character in BOTW, they wouldn't take her off the spotlight in the sequel.

I love home princess since ever but she keeps getting shafted tbh.

I'd be very disappointed if it's a situation like Phantom Hourglass... Tetra deserved better.

EDIT: But I am starting to think the cave scenes are the intro of the game and probably we won't visit that a lot if at all. I feel like we are being duped as for the real hook of the game.

Last edited:
I like this! But for the underground part, i just don't see how it will be large part of the game, it would not be open-world as much but it would be really cool, but as you mentioned they have a animal with them so who knows.

In the original trailer you can see them going over a large bridge underground. I don't think underground means they can't make large spaces. It's a fantasy game so they can basically put whatever they want down below.

Seems Nintendo have made some patents for BotW2 that describe the games mechanics.

Fans of The Legend of Zelda saga are all eager to learn more about the next installment, the sequel to Breath of The Wild. Because it must be said, Nintendo remains quite discreet on this aspect scheduled for 2022. We have nothing left to eat since the first gameplay trailer was broadcast last June.
However, a little tour of our part on the side of the patents filed by the Japanese company proved fruitful and rich in information on the upcoming gameplay, and more particularly on its new systems.
In a first patent, published under number 20210370175 with WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization), we discover the conditions to be met for the ability to cross land suspended from below to rise to its surface, as observed in the trailer, to be fulfilled. Above all, these elements make it possible to deduce that it will be possible to carry out this action freely and not in a given and pre-established place as might have been feared.

Then, patent US20210370178 also specifies a mechanism already exposed in the trailer. Thanks to the video shared during this summer by Nintendo, the most observant had noticed that Link would be endowed with a new power, a kind of "Rewind" function to be applied to objects. We can see from this filed patent that the object will show time in a movement inversely identical to its displacement, for a maximum duration represented by a power gauge. We can easily imagine that tons of puzzles and puzzles, dear to fans of the series, will be based on this system.

Finally, the last and perhaps the most interesting, file number US20210370179 reveals that the free fall system will be much more developed than one might have thought. Not only will our character be able to take several positions but also archery during it. More precisely, Link will have in its panel of movements the possibility to fall his back to turn to the ground but also to prick. If this aerial gymnastics is reminiscent of the acrobatic performances of paratroopers, being able to shoot archery, even during a sting, suggests fights in the oh so charismatic and exciting air.

We remind you that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild 2 still does not have a specific release date on Nintendo Switch (or even a definitive title). While waiting to find him, we leave you with his latest trailer that was broadcast at E3 2021 last June.

These patens means that Three Houses rewind feature is connecting these worlds together meaning

Edelgard is the Villain!

I don't expect to see it in February. It's an E3 announcement for a holiday title. If we see it in February, I expect that to be a delay announcement, timed to get it out of the way before they try to wipe the disappointment away with an onslaught of 2022 info.
I don't know. But 6 month seems not so much time to promote a game. They can't show it at TGA and can't also show alot between E3 and The release. There is just a September direct between that but they can't use the September direct only for zelda. Unless it's a zelda direct. But even that would be outside of E3. So not alot of people would tune in. TGA was the best place to show it off. If they wait until e3 it's a 2023 title.

I don't know. But 6 month seems not so much time to promote a game. They can't show it at TGA and can't also show alot between E3 and The release. There is just a September direct between that but they can't use the September direct only for zelda. Unless it's a zelda direct. But even that would be outside of E3. So not alot of people would tune in. TGA was the best place to show it off. If they wait until e3 it's a 2023 title.
Seeing how they still promoted it as a 2022 game at TGA, I bet they will address the game in some way in the February direct. If it isn’t shown there in a meaningful way, they might at least announce that it’ll be at E3.

However, I believe like you said that they will want more than 3-5 months to promote the game (assuming a release between September and November), so if I had to guess, I’d say we’ll see it before E3 in some capacity.

It has a gameplay trailer and a release year. Nintendo is clearly holding the title announcement close to their chest - they weren't going to blow it at the TGAs a year before release.

Odyssey's second trailer? E3 2017 for an October release.
Pokemon Let's Go were announced 2 weeks before E3 2018 for a November release
Luigi's Mansion 3 had it's 2nd trailer at E3 2019 for an October release - release date wasn't even official till a few days after.
Age of Calamity was announced in September 2020 for a November release (yes, this was a weird year)
Diamond and Pearl remakes got their release date right before E3 this year, and didn't get a second trailer till August.

Interesting. Hardly anything new, but I’m happy for whatever scraps of info we can get.
There's a ton of new stuff there, which I detailed in another thread:

Anyway after looking at all that I'm in the mood for some speculatin'. The fact that free-falling/aerial combat/acrobatics seems to be a major mechanic makes me wonder if the "sky world" zone is actually a separate (past) zone like I used to think it was or if it's actually integrated into the same world as the mainland. Freefalling from island to island wouldn't be nearly as cool as falling from the entire skyzone area to the ground.

The fact that freefalling also details the way we saw Zelda falling in the trailer. She was falling on a game mechanic?? Will she be able to use that game mechanic in some form??

Or am I just reaching?

There's a ton of new stuff there, which I detailed in another thread:

Anyway after looking at all that I'm in the mood for some speculatin'. The fact that free-falling/aerial combat/acrobatics seems to be a major mechanic makes me wonder if the "sky world" zone is actually a separate (past) zone like I used to think it was or if it's actually integrated into the same world as the mainland. Freefalling from island to island wouldn't be nearly as cool as falling from the entire skyzone area to the ground.
Pssst.... how about 1). dropping down from a cloud island towards 2). Hyrule, into Death Mountain (which seemed dried up in the trailer) revealing a 3). cavernous Blackreach style "underworld", eh...? How 'bout that?

9825373ea1fcd73427e5a95eb2f7957e.jpg

Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has been interesting to watch thus far, as different aspects are showcased and different elements come to light.

At First Look in 2019, what was presented displayed an immediate sense of eeriness -- helped, especially, by the seemingly reversed musical theme, a discordant presence through the whole reveal -- which, coupled by the darker visuals of a cavernous area and wisps, along with the events which transpire, brought a different feel to to the proceedings. It suggested a sort of Majora's Mask sort of take for this upcoming title, not so much that it would tackle the same themes or present the same variations on darkness and hope, but that it presented a direct followup to the most recent game, built off the same assets and base design work, veering off into a different and darker-tinged -- and, perhaps, stranger -- adventure. This was a strong first showing, providing much of interest.

And then the 2021 footage dived wildly in another direction, going from the darker, more claustrophobic caverns and more eerie atmosphere to the bright skies, freefalling into gorgeous visual design and art direction -- but still retaining reversed music. The new footage, despite certain changes, hearkened back more to the experience of the previous game, but added a glimpse of some new, rather interesting abilities. Regardless, it was definitely a shift from what was first seen, and I think that threw a lot of people off.

The combination of those initial caverns contrasted with the freefalling aerial footage presents the question of how these two elements are going to meld together, especially when one factors in the ground. Just how intertwined are these going to be, how seamless the transitions, and how open world, open air is this going to be in the end? There are a lot of factors to consider, which will vastly affect how the game feels overall.

There does seem to be a throughline of reversal or rewinding, from the rewind mechanic, to the backward music, even through the "falling upward" concept. How this theme is explored overall, and how it might tie into other themes, is yet to be seen, but I hope they approach it deftly. I still hope for something a bit more twisted, a bit darker-edged, of course, as suggested in the reveal, but mostly I want whatever the team does to be absolutely excellent.

The patent application surround aerial combat is certainly interesting. It appears the freefalling facet is going to be a fairly major element of gameplay. The possibilities are intriguing and, frankly, exciting, especially considering the potential, also, of chaining different abilities and moves along with this. The result will depend on execution, of course, but it seems promising.

I do have to note, of course, that Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now following in its predecessor's flight path: where the open air concept of the first game struck me as something that would have made sense fashioned into a Kid Icarus, this new game appears to be adding elements building upon that same concept. It's interesting how that's working.

Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has been interesting to watch thus far, as different aspects are showcased and different elements come to light.

At First Look in 2019, what was presented displayed an immediate sense of eeriness -- helped, especially, by the seemingly reversed musical theme, a discordant presence through the whole reveal -- which, coupled by the darker visuals of a cavernous area and wisps, along with the events which transpire, brought a different feel to to the proceedings. It suggested a sort of Majora's Mask sort of take for this upcoming title, not so much that it would tackle the same themes or present the same variations on darkness and hope, but that it presented a direct followup to the most recent game, built off the same assets and base design work, veering off into a different and darker-tinged -- and, perhaps, stranger -- adventure. This was a strong first showing, providing much of interest.

And then the 2021 footage dived wildly in another direction, going from the darker, more claustrophobic caverns and more eerie atmosphere to the bright skies, freefalling into gorgeous visual design and art direction -- but still retaining reversed music. The new footage, despite certain changes, hearkened back more to the experience of the previous game, but added a glimpse of some new, rather interesting abilities. Regardless, it was definitely a shift from what was first seen, and I think that threw a lot of people off.

The combination of those initial caverns contrasted with the freefalling aerial footage presents the question of how these two elements are going to meld together, especially when one factors in the ground. Just how intertwined are these going to be, how seamless the transitions, and how open world, open air is this going to be in the end? There are a lot of factors to consider, which will vastly affect how the game feels overall.

There does seem to be a throughline of reversal or rewinding, from the rewind mechanic, to the backward music, even through the "falling upward" concept. How this theme is explored overall, and how it might tie into other themes, is yet to be seen, but I hope they approach it deftly. I still hope for something a bit more twisted, a bit darker-edged, of course, as suggested in the reveal, but mostly I want whatever the team does to be absolutely excellent.

The patent application surround aerial combat is certainly interesting. It appears the freefalling facet is going to be a fairly major element of gameplay. The possibilities are intriguing and, frankly, exciting, especially considering the potential, also, of chaining different abilities and moves along with this. The result will depend on execution, of course, but it seems promising.

I do have to note, of course, that Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now following in its predecessor's flight path: where the open air concept of the first game struck me as something that would have made sense fashioned into a Kid Icarus, this new game appears to be adding elements building upon that same concept. It's interesting how that's working.
For what it's worth the "backwards falling" pose mentioned in the patent almost certainly refers to simply falling down while facing upwards. I don't think there's any upward falling mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom