• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope there's a good looking green tunic + green hat outfit. The set of the wild didn't look good so I had to dye it's cap and hylian tunic in the same green tone. In the end it looked dope, one of my favorites Link costumes. From what I saw lot of people did this too.

download.png

Anyone here think they'll show more of BOTW2 before E3/June 2022 based on what Bill Trinen stated ("...we start to show a bit more of the game over the coming months to the next year or so...")? I never interpreted this as a guaranteed end of 2021 showing, but I got the impression they were/are planning to show the game again before E3/June 2022. Maybe Omicron pushed things back a bit though. Maybe a Zelda direct end of Feb/early March or something

If the game comes out between Nov ‘22 - Mar ‘23, I think it’s a lock that we see it featured in a June Direct. I would worry it’s further out if we don’t see it by then. I am not expecting to see it in a Direct until June.

If the game comes out between Nov ‘22 - Mar ‘23, I think it’s a lock that we see it featured in a June Direct. I would worry it’s further out if we don’t see it by then. I am not expecting to see it in a Direct until June.
Yesterday Nintendo had 2022 for BOTW2 in their investor relations notes.

If we don't see it in the next Direct I'm already preparing myself for the delay.

I mean do we expect the next direct is this summer? If it's releasing this holliday there is no reason they have to show it off so soon.

not at all, I agree

especially since the other three are basically just pikmin 3 enemies

edit: ugh the first two links are broken

I'm on mobile so I'm invoking "dude trust me"
This happens to me sometimes, the trick is to check the URL and delete everything after the ".jpg" or ".png." Those websites a lot of times throw extra stuff at the end of the filenames for resizing purposes that works on their site but goofs it for links.

I hope there's a good looking green tunic + green hat outfit. The set of the wild didn't look good so I had to dye it's cap and hylian tunic in the same green tone. In the end it looked dope, one of my favorites Link costumes. From what I saw lot of people did this too.

download.png

I was generally ok with what they did. I couldn’t care less if the green tunic is relegated to campy looking end game extra lol.

For the sequel I want more customization options for my gear. Dye was fun, but having other little visible bits and bobs would be most excellent.

This happens to me sometimes, the trick is to check the URL and delete everything after the ".jpg" or ".png." Those websites a lot of times throw extra stuff at the end of the filenames for resizing purposes that works on their site but goofs it for links.
ahh thanks for the tip

The final Monster Maze video just dropped. Now he has done all 3 patents. I love these.

It's ridiculous that a company can patent game mechanics. That aside, this is really exciting.

Falling face up and straight down while shooting at stuff has me excited. Ready for skydiving battles and flying bosses.

It's ridiculous that a company can patent game mechanics. That aside, this is really exciting.

Falling face up and straight down while shooting at stuff has me excited. Ready for skydiving battles and flying bosses.
They patent the implementation

We're gonna see it in the E3 Direct one way or another.
Yesterday Nintendo had 2022 for BOTW2 in their investor relations notes.
2022 is the official date BotW got with last year's trailer. That will stay the official date on all their materials until they officially announce a different date.

Face down shoot up

That's the way I like to play Zelda

If we don't see it in the next Direct I'm already preparing myself for the delay.
I wouldn‘t necessarily expect a full trailer in the next Direct. I do believe they are reserving the full blowout for the June Direct. We might get a very short teaser, if anything.

The final Monster Maze video just dropped. Now he has done all 3 patents. I love these.

That trilogy of videos is truly unadulterated hype... The potential for puzzles and mazes with caves, temples and ruins with the going through walls mechanic is simply astonishing.

I think we will see armor combination. The first trailer had both the Hylian Tunic and the Champion's Tunic, I think that's showed for a reason. I think we will be able to combine two clothing items to make use of multiple stat boosts.

Booted up Gravity Rush 2 this morning. If there's one thing that game nails, it's the feeling of complete boundless freedom and openness, in a way that reminds me of BotW. It was the game that I came to think of when I first saw the E3 2021 teaser. I just love soaring around in the world of Gravity Rush 2, and I hope BotW2 provides a similar feeling of just feeling the air whirl and stream around you as you fall between the sky islands. The one thing holding back Gravity Rush 2 for me was that there's really just not much to do. But with BotW2's systemics and emergent gameplay, in combination with the open-ended sky world.. this game has so much potential oh my god.

The main hope I have (besides more fleshed out dungeons and enemy variety) is that they find a way to balance the open world better. As soon you got your second armor upgrade in BotW, almost everything became trivial, and the freeform order of beasts lead to the last one always being a joke. Especially when you did the ones with combat related blessings beforehand. If the game has 8 dungeons or so, gating off the last 3 to assure they can balance the encounters accordingly, it would be way easier for the team. If the variable of the what the player did before the encounter gets smaller, that's a good tradeoff in my opinion if it ensures the last stretch of the game isn't a complete cakewalk.

I wonder how Elden Ring will do it. That game is even more combat focused so it will be interesting how they balance things.

I kinda want a short teaser but last time we got a short teaser for a Zelda game it came with a delay 😥

One of the "leaks" said something about weapons breaking even quicker. Honestly, that sounds fantastic to me - also, let me throw shields! Having weapons just sitting in the inventory is less interesting than constantly making them a dynamic part of gameplay.

Honestly BOTW became less interesting with the Master Sword and the Hylian Shield - as awesome as they were. It made the game a lot less dynamic.

Pokemon Legends Arceus made me realise just how much I want caves in BOTW2. One of the few things I can disappointed be about the original was the lack of caves and caverns.

Pokemon Legends Arceus made me realise just how much I want caves in BOTW2. One of the few things I can disappointed be about the original was the lack of caves and caverns.
Yeah there are only a few and they are tiny, some might have a shrine in but it's often just ores. Nothing like a proper cave system with caverns and water leading to underground ruins (well if there is let me know and I'll log in and go find it lol)

While we are on BOTW1 is there any way to see how many seeds you have collected?

and diving under water. Imagine you find a cave entrance under water while swimming. I guess they have their hands full with designing the sky and islands up there, so I'm not sure how much focus is on underground stuff. But we saw some of it already, so fingers crossed.

and diving under water. Imagine you find a cave entrance under water while swimming. I guess they have their hands full with designing the sky and islands up there, so I'm not sure how much focus is on underground stuff. But we saw some of it already, so fingers crossed.

I think I remember diving - not necessarily underwater - being somewhat central to BOTW2. There's footage of Link emerging from what looks like a magical puddle, and I seem to recall a patent or something indicating a mechanic that allowed for diving and passing through terrain. There is a possibility that I dreamed this.

I think I remember diving - not necessarily underwater - being somewhat central to BOTW2. There's footage of Link emerging from what looks like a magical puddle, and I seem to recall a patent or something indicating a mechanic that allowed for diving and passing through terrain. There is a possibility that I dreamed this.

Yeah, it's this one

Lol, yeah it might be that we get every for of diving but under water.

Some random thoughts. This mini dungeon here is the kind of stuff I wished BOTW had instead of shrines. It's doesnt feel disconnected of the real world and seemed like a a puzzle built within a location instead of a location built for puzzles.

I wish BOTW2 approach is more similar to this. Please Nintendo, don't make me listen to the same music and look at the same visuals more than 100 times again. I can't handle this again. If they needed to reduce the number of mini-dungeons to 20 I'd prefer instead of what we got.

EDIT: One cool fact that I forgot to mention is that in the end we got to a location that made sense geographically.

Last edited:
Has this game been in development since after BOTW shopped in March 2016 or did it go into development after the season pass launched later in the year? Do we have a good estimate as to what month/time they started working on this game?

Has this game been in development since after BOTW shopped in March 2016 or did it go into development after the season pass launched later in the year? Do we have a good estimate as to what month/time they started working on this game?

Iirc they started after The Champion's Ballad released.

All I know is they need to keep whistle on a single button but make it even longer when accidentally pressed.

I'm pretty sure we heard somewhere that they were well into pre-production when The Champion's Ballad released.
Aonuma said so indeed in his message at the end of the book Creating a Champion. Also, IIRC looking at the credits when you finish The Campions’ Ballad, there’s only a fraction of the BotW staff.

Aonuma said so indeed in his message at the end of the book Creating a Champion. Also, IIRC looking at the credits when you finish The Campions’ Ballad, there’s only a fraction of the BotW staff.
Definitely....Usually the amount of staff working on a dlc is a fraction of the team working on the final stages of development. In general DLC involves using almost the same code, without graphics improvement, using the same framework(in this case using the word in a broader sense) for events, cutscenes... Most of their time would be spent producing new assets.

Even if they wanted to parallelize giving a small task for everyone on the team they probably couldn't.

TL;DR: If they weren't working on a secret project and didn't gave the team 8 months of vacation then they were already working on BOTW 2.

Definitely....Usually the amount of staff working on a dlc is a fraction of the team working on the final stages of development. In general DLC involves using almost the same code, without graphics improvement, using the same framework(in this case using the word in a broader sense) for events, cutscenes... Most of their time they would spend producing new assets.

Even if they wanted to parallelize giving a small task for everyone on the team they probably couldn't.

TL;DR: If they weren't working on a secret project and didn't gave the team 8 months of vacation then they were already working on BOTW 2.
I've got no doubt that the leads started working on the sequel immediately, but not many others. The DLC was very limited in scope and the way EPD functions most of the people working on Zelda were assigned to other projects ASAP.

I have trouble parsing long credit lists, but Ring Fit Adventure's definitely got some Zelda DNA in there from sound to menu design.

The most interesting question is: when did full production on BotW2 start? BotW used placeholder assets from previous Zelda titles during the main phase of development. When they went into full production I can image the strain on EPD being massive. We could extrapolate from EPD's release schedule when they could've started content creation on BotW2 (despite COVID possibly making that a little harder).

Unless the game releases within the next 6 months, it will be the longest gap between two new titles ever, beating out the 5 years and 5 months between Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time.

Unless the game releases within the next 6 months, it will be the longest gap between two new titles ever, beating out the 5 years and 5 months between Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time.
And it‘s a direct sequel. Absolutely crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom