• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erm, no. The concern posting is what any competent Nintendo fan should be doing right now, given

1. Zelda is the most prestigious IP in the industry
2. Historically, this kind of 'hush hush' approach in the industry has preluded some awful launches.
3. What we've seen hasn't just been limited, some of it has been questionable or outright bad.

Now, as the most competent publisher in the industry, I'd like to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt that they're engaging in the hiding and misdirection of the core details of this game, but we also have to consider.

1. This game would have seen some development troubles due to COVID
2. There is a new president at Nintendo.

So there are tangible reasons to see why things may go wrong for this game. That said, things weren't looking too good for Super Mario Galaxy in the early days, which then casually released as one of the greatest games of all time. I will pray the same happens here but, make no mistake, if this game doesn't launch to the high standards of past Zeldas, you can bet I'll be calling on Furukawa to resign on day one.
I would type an elaborate reply to this and lord knows it's very tempting to dig into some of these points but I think anything I could say would be entirely secondary to the fact that none of this has anything to do with my original post.

You know what? I just realised I'm not thinking of TotK as the next mainline Zelda. To me it seems like a remaster of the ideas from BotW, with a bit more added. So it's like a bonus interlude while I wait at least another 6 years for the true successor. This has nothing to do with the marketing and trailers, by the way. Just the overall game concept of being in the same Hyrule with the same Link and Zelda.
What's funny is not only do I agree with this, but it's exactly what I wanted. I wanted more reasons to explore the same Hyrule because vast as it was, it didn't contain a lot of "reasons" (that my brain would typically recognize) to go to most places. Impressive that they made a game world with a ton of places whose reason for existing was just to exist, but I kinda need more of a carrot on a stick otherwise I feel like I'm covering ground just to cover it. And after finishing BotW the second time I really wanted more of that Hyrule, more things to find and things to do. And that's exactly what they seem to be doing so like, I'm actually quite jazzed. All I need to be sold on is that the game won't revolve around vehicles because I loved, loved, loved the horseriding in the first one and don't want that more down-to-earth feeling usurped by some of the stuff I saw in the more recent trailer.

It's kinda goofy... in the middle of all this conversation about worries because of what Nintendo isn't showing, and the one thing I'm worried about is because of something they did show. I'd actually probably be more hyped for TotK if they had stopped with trailer #3.😅

One of them, sure. Extremely bold to proclaim seemingly objectively that it's the most prestigious.
2. Historically, this kind of 'hush hush' approach in the industry has preluded some awful launches.
Honestly I cannot think of a single example of this ever happening? It's usually the other way around, games that are shown again and again many times over many years turn out bad.

3. What we've seen hasn't just been limited, some of it has been questionable or outright bad.
Uhhh I guess it's your opinion but I have no idea what can be considered "outright bad" from what we've seen.

I think we're getting a new trailer next week. Maybe even a Zelda Direct.
  1. This week is Bayonetta Origins week and the aftermath of Mar10 Day, so this week is unlikely
  2. The week after next will be the big marketing push for the Mario Movie
  3. The Zelda OLED needs to get announced ASAP, as it's releasing at the end of next month or in the first week of May
  4. We're officially less than two months out and we have very little marketing
It has to be next week or the week after at the very latest.

Doug talking about this game being worth $70 for content and experience makes sense. It’s a huge game and they want to charge more knowing they can do it.

I just want Nintendo to charge LESS for other first party titles that shouldn’t be $60

Erm, no. The concern posting is what any competent Nintendo fan should be doing right now, given

Now, as the most competent publisher in the industry, I'd like to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt that they're engaging in the hiding and misdirection of the core details of this game, but we also have to consider.

So there are tangible reasons to see why things may go wrong for this game. That said, things weren't looking too good for Super Mario Galaxy in the early days, which then casually released as one of the greatest games of all time. I will pray the same happens here but, make no mistake, if this game doesn't launch to the high standards of past Zeldas, you can bet I'll be calling on Furukawa to resign on day one.
Man this post is kinda a riot on a lot of levels, but I'm mostly just wondering how I can become a competent Nintendo fan

But like, to engage with the rest of it for a moment

1. In what situation has a 'hush hush' approach to a major title actually resulted in an awful launch?
2. How is what we've seen outright bad, or honestly even questionable?
3. What the freakin' frick does a new president at Nintendo have to do with any of this
4. Does the high standards of the past Zeldas include [Inset controversial Zelda game here]?

....Erm, no.

Look I know we aren’t supposed to buy into corporate speak, but I’m choosing to believe Bowsers “it’s $70 cause it’s worth it” talk.

I’m going to assume that at least they think that they have something quite special on their hands. Sony moved the price for PS5 releases to $70 because of the inherent value of a new generation release; They felt customers would justify it for the better visuals and performance. Nintendo doesn’t have that new generation here. Choosing $70 for Zelda specifically, and thinking it’ll be anything but stellar, just doesn’t make any sense.

/corporateshill

I think we're getting a new trailer next week. Maybe even a Zelda Direct.
  1. This week is Bayonetta Origins week and the aftermath of Mar10 Day, so this week is unlikely
  2. The week after next will be the big marketing push for the Mario Movie
  3. The Zelda OLED needs to get announced ASAP, as it's releasing at the end of next month or in the first week of May
  4. We're officially less than two months out and we have very little marketing
It has to be next week or the week after at the very latest.
Next week is Pax East and GDC, I think Nintendo will prefer having the attention to themselves to showcase Zelda. Since 3 weeks from now is Mario Movie week, I bet we get something in either 2 or 4 weeks.

Fun fact: Takumi Wada who made BOTW key arts, characters arts, title screen illustration, basically everything art related retired from Nintendo in early 2019. All Zelda key arts from now on are made by Yusuke Nakano (he made all arts up until TP when he was replaced by Wada and now Nakano is back again).
This is not confirmed, and the TotK has Takumi Wada’s art style,I think the key art is contracted out to Takumi himself.

Wait....if we get like 7 logs and green glue them together to form a cylinder or wooden cannon, prop it up to a 45 degree angle wth some other logs, then put a bomb inside the cannon, and then crawl into the cannon, we'll be able to shoot ourselves out of a cannon.

How are they going to make the story better? The whole flashback thing was a turn off to many people. They wanted more story sequence in the current time.

I mean it can't be flashbacks this time around. What I'm wondering is how they're gonna handle a more straight forward story in an open-world game.

Petting dogs? We might be able to drive down the plains of Hyrule fields, with our dog riding shotgun in our Zonai mobile, and sticking his/her head out the window to feel the wind.

I mean it can't be flashbacks this time around. What I'm wondering is how they're gonna handle a more straight forward story in an open-world game.

The original game had four distinct stories that could have been improved with each of the champions and their descendants. I wouldn’t be against having a weak(er) main plot and rich side stories.

How are they going to make the story better? The whole flashback thing was a turn off to many people. They wanted more story sequence in the current time.
In an open world game like this, the best route to go is just a bunch of great quality small stories with an overall simple end goal (“Destroy Ganon”).

A linear plot just holds it back tbh, I know that may be a hard pill to swallow for some, but it simply goes against the game’s design

There is an amazingly simple solution for people to practice if they have any reservations about the quality of Totk: DON'T PREORDER IT.

Wait to see meaningful gameplay, read previews, or whatever. You don't need to preorder the game early. If you have not seen anything of intrigue... then wait.

You may not like the marketing rollout or the lack of gameplay seen up to this point, but no one is forcing you to preorder the game early. Wait. Wait for the next round of information and gameplay footage. Hell, wait for reviews.
Nate I think everyone knows this already

I think the 3 Zonai mazes will come together with Super Green Glue to form a Zonai spaceship
YjkjsYr.jpg

Lmfao

This is not confirmed, and the TotK has Takumi Wada’s art style,I think the key art is contracted out to Takumi himself.
This is confirmed, he left Nintendo in January 2019. Altough he could have made some arts for TotK prior to leaving I doubt it was the key art. I really doubt it was contracted seems he was talking about actual retirement.

He did arts for Pokemon TCG just last year.

Oh well, didn't know that. But I still think for game like TotK you would have to be part of the process like with BOTW and fully understand to game and not just do contrack work. I guess we have to wait and see if he appears in credits, altough BOTW haven't made it very clear and he is only listed as title screen illustrator so interviews/champion book 2 will be our only source.

It was unreasonable to expect it. Cutting a demo for a game as big as TOTK is a massive amount of work and they're probably concerned about potential security risks/unintentional effects. We're not in the BOTW era anymore where Nintendo needed people to understand the game play and accumulate all the good-will possible to make sure people pick up the game/Switch. TOTK is a sequel and anything new about it can easily be conveyed through press previews and controlled demonstrations.
They don't want this happening again 😜 ;)

Not sure how #TeamConcern will recover from this

The secret is to not be a Nintendo Fan. I enjoy a lot of Nintendo games! But I would never say I'm a fan.

Nate I think everyone knows this already

It's true! I don't think the same people who are upset at the North American price increase are the same people pre-ordering it.

We need a proper thread to speak freely and discuss about concerns (valid/invalid) for Totk. This is clearly not the right place.

This is the pre-release discussion thread. I fail to see how criticism doesn't fit in.

I'm not sure I want to know/see what a space for 'invalid criticism' would look like that is not already happening from time-to-time ITT. IIRC Era had a few threads pop up for some highly anticipated/critically acclaimed (often Nintendo!) games that was similar to this (titled something like X criticism thread or something) and even there it was deemed too needlessly negative and didn't last long.

So no I don't think we need another thread for this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom