• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: I also remember there being talk here of which of the Nintendo channels had the highest quality trailer. Does anyone remember which one it was?
IIRC it was the Switch news channel's postings of the trailers that seemed to not have near the compression artefacts that YouTube has. People were able to make out more details in the underground and night shots because of that.

Just a heads up the last time we saw Aonuma was on March 29th 2022 with a new haircut. Good opportunity to do something around that time and reveal new haircut.
If they do a Direct where he shows up I beg to any deity who is listening to have him say "like my new haircut?" before anything else.

Just a heads up the last time we saw Aonuma was on March 29th 2022 with a new haircut. Good opportunity to do something around that time and reveal new haircut.
The reason the announcement is taking so long is because it’s actually a super cut of Aunoma with each shot set three months apart, speaking one sentence each time with a different haircut. It’s meant to represent the Zelda series’ connection to time travel

What I'm curious about this whole "marketing concerns" is what is the end game for this concerns?
What's the big problem?
Are people concerned that the game will be bad? Or that it will fail?
If the game comes out and it's a commercial failure (let's say it sells 10mil lifetime) while still being a masterpiece because of the bad marketing would it even be a problem?

What I'm curious about this whole "marketing concerns" is what is the end game for this concerns?
What's the big problem?
If the game comes out and it's a commercial failure (let's say it sells 10mil lifetime) while still being a masterpiece because of the bad marketing would it even be a problem?
I think it's mostly "they're not showing anything because the game is bad" kind of concerns.

Which obviously I find very silly given their pedigree.

I quite like not knowing much about it. It doesn’t bother me at all. Not because I think ‘it’s Zelda, it’ll automatically be great’, but because far too many big games leave me feeling like I’ve played them already at the point of release. Even if they only show longer looks at it with two or three weeks to go, that’s still plenty of time for people to make up their mind, to order the game or wait for reviews or whatever. It’ll be selling for years, not everything needs to be revealed in advance for the day 1 crowd. I don’t get the idea that because most games show off everything up to a year in advance, that means anything that doesn’t is possibly worrying.

What's the big problem?
Pretty much? Like, maybe not outright bad, but a disappointing sequel. What am I supposed to judge except what we know. They haven’t really convinced me so far.

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will almost certainly be a fantastic game. I preordered the game as I have no concerns that the game won't be at least a solid to great time. It could be BOTW with just some new quests/story thrown in and still be a great time. I think my only concern is how different the world will be and what's actually "new" in the game in terms of gameplay, story, characters, towns, abilities, etc. Like it would be cool to be able to go explore underwater, go out on a boat with a fishing pole (think Twilight Princess) and other cool things like this to discover. So far we haven't really seen anything new beyond vehicle/weapon crafting and small sky/underground shots. So I'm still in the phase of wanting to know what's really going to set this game apart from Breath of the Wild and so far even after reading the artbook, I'm still not really entirely sure how different this game will be from BOTW six years ago.

So yeah, I'm not concerned that the game will be bad. I'm not concerned about preorders or "value". Hell I couldn't care less about the $70 price personally (I preordered the Collector's Edition). I'm anxious about new content though. That being said, we all just have to be patient and wait since Nintendo isn't starting the full marketing campaign until close to launch. My worse case scenario is that Tears of the Kingdom will be basically more Breath of the Wild but still be a great overall game. My best case scenario is that this game will have a wicked amount of new content, massive story, major twists, significantly cool new areas, towns, characters, stuff to do, fully featured dungeons, etc so awesome that all of our jaws drop when we finally experience it all.

If they do a Direct where he shows up I beg to any deity who is listening to have him say "like my new haircut?" before anything else.
I bet he will say it. I think the "am sure a lot of you saw me and thought you might be getting news on BOTW2" in Feb2021 Direct was his idea.

I think it's mostly "they're not showing anything because the game is bad" kind of concerns.

In that case they should just say "the game looks bad and more like a dlc than a sequel and the zelda team dropped the ball with this one" and move on, there's nothing wrong with criticising the game and if they're wrong it happens, they admit they were wrong and just move on
Pretty much? Like, maybe not outright bad, but a disappointing sequel. What am I supposed to judge except what we know. They haven’t really convinced me so far.
That's the point, if you think the game doesn't look that great you can just say that; it's when people talk about "bad marketing" and "arrogant Nintendo" that it doesn't make sense.
I'm also underwhelmed by the footage but it feels like some people talk about the game like Nintendo is sabotaging it pre release for some reason instead of just saying the game doesn't look so hot right now.

I'm concerned that, when the game comes out and is undoubtedly full of awesome, I'll die playing it, jamming out to it's jams and making piano and celtic arrangements 'till I drop.

I need the jams y'all!

Easy-Homemade-Jam-b.jpg
Would love to see him with long hair, unkempt, beard to his knees, green toga. Shamone.

In that case they should just say "the game looks bad and more like a dlc than a sequel and the zelda team dropped the ball with this one" and move on, there's nothing wrong with criticising the game and if they're wrong it happens, they admit they were wrong and just move on
Who are you to tell others to do this? If I think the game looks bad pre-release I’m going to say it.
That's the point, if you think the game doesn't look that great you can just say that; it's when people talk about "bad marketing" and "arrogant Nintendo" that it doesn't make sense.
I'm also underwhelmed by the footage but it feels like some people talk about the game like Nintendo is sabotaging it pre release for some reason instead of just saying the game doesn't look so hot right now.
Marketing is typically supposed to make you excited for a product and the current TotK marketing isn’t doing that, therefore I think it’s bad. Not complicated.

It’s just ridiculous because if that was the case… Nintendo would just delay the game lol

Like in what world is a May release date in the last year or two of a console life cycle something they absolutely need to hit. And even then, Nintendo is more in the habit of delaying games from optimal release dates in order to ensure quality (like AC)

If they weren’t confident in the game, we wouldn’t have a solid, two-months-away release date.

What do you guys think would generate more talk/meltdowns on the internet: If Tears of the Kingdom got a 97, or if Tears of the Kingdom was the first 3D original Zelda game to get below a 90?

And yes, I know something like an 89 is not a bad score, but that's not how some people perceive it :ROFLMAO:

Imagine the nightmare scenario of only being allowed to attach glue globs onto specific parts of specific items

That'll be a 79/100 meta for sure

What do you guys think would generate more talk/meltdowns on the internet: If Tears of the Kingdom got a 97, or if Tears of the Kingdom was the first 3D original Zelda game to get below a 90?

And yes, I know something like an 89 is not a bad score, but that's not how some people perceive it :ROFLMAO:
100% the latter

A 97 score would be met with surprise and claims of it being overrated

A score below 90 would cause some discourse singularity combining everything from BotW honeymoon period to Switch 2.

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will almost certainly be a fantastic game. I preordered the game as I have no concerns that the game won't be at least a solid to great time. It could be BOTW with just some new quests/story thrown in and still be a great time. I think my only concern is how different the world will be and what's actually "new" in the game in terms of gameplay, story, characters, towns, abilities, etc. Like it would be cool to be able to go explore underwater, go out on a boat with a fishing pole (think Twilight Princess) and other cool things like this to discover. So far we haven't really seen anything new beyond vehicle/weapon crafting and small sky/underground shots. So I'm still in the phase of wanting to know what's really going to set this game apart from Breath of the Wild and so far even after reading the artbook, I'm still not really entirely sure how different this game will be from BOTW six years ago.
A huge amount of islands in various strange shapes and formations in the sky, free-form crafting mechanics, and new underground biomes: Broke
A boat with a fishing pole: Woke

Don't worry, we'll get our answer may 9th? when the game get's the classic 89 score on metacritic
I wonder if we'll finally get the "metroid is better than zelda" thread

I actually think it would be hilarious if TOTK was an Other M-level disaster

This is how #TeamConcern can still win
I still want the game to be good, but recent comments about stuff like pedigree or how "RE4 feels like Capcom hired the top engineers at Nintendo to make a game" definitely give me enough PTSD that I agree, lol
I wonder if we'll finally get the "metroid is better than zelda" thread
That's my secret captain, I'm always thinking Metroid is better than Zelda both are very good though

I probably explained myself badly because I agree with what you're saying here.
You did not explain yourself badly, it was a very reasonable post.
It’s just ridiculous because if that was the case… Nintendo would just delay the game lol

Like in what world is a May release date in the last year or two of a console life cycle something they absolutely need to hit. And even then, Nintendo is more in the habit of delaying games from optimal release dates in order to ensure quality (like AC)

If they weren’t confident in the game, we wouldn’t have a solid, two-months-away release date.
Yeah it's pretty wild to assume Nintendo of all companies in their current state would put out a bad game just because we haven't seen much of it. To me this type of marketing oozes confidence. If they were showing tons of details every week then I'd start to worry, that shows you kinda NEED to heavily market the game because you don't believe it can stand on its own.

Reminder, we recently heard about 1, 2, Switch 2 being likely canned because they weren't happy with the quality. Not just delayed, possibly cancelled completely.

I actually think it would be hilarious if TOTK was an Other M-level disaster

This is how #TeamConcern can still win
I still want the game to be good, but recent comments about stuff like pedigree or how "RE4 feels like Capcom hired the top engineers at Nintendo to make a game" definitely give me enough PTSD that I agree, lol

#TeamConcern finally showing its true colours

and on the ides of March to boot!

Anyways I’m feeling next week for a trailer.

Bayo Origins will be out, but still 2 weeks from Mario movie

Next tues or wed🙏🏻

Then game informer cover throughout April and press previews late April

if you want to see a bit more just flip through the artbook one time, it's not that spoilery and it will satisfy you.

if you want to see a bit more just flip through the artbook one time, it's not that spoilery and it will satisfy you.

A bunch of the people who're concerning over here were pretty active in the artbook thread

I'm very competent in finding new things to be incompetent in. Now i'm an incompetent Nintendo fan too yay

Last edited:
I’ve always thought it, but when TOTK gets 93 while MPR has a 94, I’ll finally have empirical proof!
I don't know why but even though your name is PhenDrift and even though you've been active in Metroid threads, this is still quite the plot twist to me, lol

Don't worry, come may12th you can say that unlike the 3d Zelda series metroid prime mainline games never went below the 90 mark
Ok but imagine if Metroid Prime 4 also was disappointing. That'd be quite the world. After Bayonetta 3 was received as great but a bit underwhelming compared to 1 and 2, it would be funny if TOTK and Prime 4 completed it ... almost like some kind of ... triforce

Ok but imagine if Metroid Prime 4 also was disappointing.
Realistically I don't think it's that farfetched, between the original MP4 cancellation and the years and years of anticipation, it feels a bit like a Twilight Princess situation where everyone imagines it to be the most awesome game ever, and no matter how good it is, it will have a hard time living up to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom